• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Southend United Football Club have to rename recently sponsored stand after it became apparent it was named after a serial killer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-62405123
Political madness gone madder. It is patently obvious it is not a reference to Rose West but the PC brigade, they jump on everything. Even the non PC now act out of fear of the PC brigade.

How many women in the UK are called Rose West I wonder. Best they all run out and change their names in case any think.... etc.

In fact, ban the name and word 'West' just to make sure. Even the points of the compass. North, East, South and Banned. In fact, just to be sure, ban all words. Just in case.

Political madness gone madder. It is patently obvious it is not a reference to Rose West but the PC brigade, they jump on everything. Even the non PC now act out of fear of the PC brigade.

How many women in the UK are called Rose West I wonder. Best they all run out and change their names in case any think.... etc.

In fact, ban the name and word 'West' just to make sure. Even the points of the compass. North, East, South and Banned. In fact, just to be sure, ban all words. Just in case.
Perhaps they could just write it as 'The Rose - west stand' instead.

If I was a builder named Fred West though I'd change my name, just to keep the business going.

If I was a builder named Fred West though I'd change my name, just to keep the business going.
I think I would to.

The stand was called the George and Rose West Stand. The stand wasn't called Rose West. That is the different. The link via part of the name to Rose West would have soon been forgotten.

''Let's learn to be wary of the arguments from positions of authority as much as the spontaneous eloquence of certain images."

Amen!

Here's a headline I bet you never thought you'd see.

1,000 people unable to leave Death Valley National Park due to severe flooding
About 1,000 people cannot leave Death Valley National Park after severe flooding hit the park, shutting down all roads into and out of it.

The National Park Service said in a statement that it would take four to six hours to open a road on Highway 190 toward the east of the park to allow people to exit. ...

There are about 500 visitors and 500 staff unable to leave the park as a result, according to NPS, though no injuries have been reported.

Flood waters pushed garbage bins into parked cars, causing them to crash into one another. Around 60 cars are buried in several feet of debris at The Inn at Death Valley.

Flooding has also been reported at hotel rooms and business offices. ...
FULL STORY: https://nbcmontana.com/news/nation-...rnia-death-valley-national-park-furnace-creek

Top scientist admits 'space telescope image' was actually a slice of chorizo

A French scientist has apologized after tweeting a photo of a slice of chorizo, claiming it was an image of a distant star taken by the James Webb Space Telescope.

3D44C55F-7CCC-44F8-ACF4-B31D8B9C8E48-scaled.jpeg

Étienne Klein, a celebrated physicist and director at France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, shared the image of the spicy Spanish sausage on Twitter last week, praising the "level of detail" it provided.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/05/europe/scientist-space-image-chorizo-intl-scli-scn/index.html

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:

Top scientist admits 'space telescope image' was actually a slice of chorizo

A French scientist has apologized after tweeting a photo of a slice of chorizo, claiming it was an image of a distant star taken by the James Webb Space Telescope.

3D44C55F-7CCC-44F8-ACF4-B31D8B9C8E48-scaled.jpeg

Étienne Klein, a celebrated physicist and director at France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, shared the image of the spicy Spanish sausage on Twitter last week, praising the "level of detail" it provided.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/05/europe/scientist-space-image-chorizo-intl-scli-scn/index.html

maximus otter
You're slacking Uncle Max. @kamalktk posted this on Friday; https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fortean-headlines.7590/page-112#post-2198071. I think escargot's absence is starting to effect you. I've noticed that you've not been the same since.

I think I would to.

The stand was called the George and Rose West Stand. The stand wasn't called Rose West. That is the different. The link via part of the name to Rose West would have soon been forgotten.
Hmm The West Stand of George and Rose? George And Rose Stand (West)?

Reminds me of the story about the Women's Institute in the Essex village of Ugley.

WI rules are that each branch should be named in a standard format. That would have resulted in them being called "The Ugley Women's Institute."

After some negotiation, they were given special dispensation to call themselves "The Women's Institute of Ugley."

This hardly solves the problem. It just makes it sound more Pythonesque.

Plane passenger fined for taking 'most expensive McDonald's ever' on flight​

Passenger was being cute in bringing in breakfast McMuffins on return trip from New Zealand to Australia and was caught by Zinta the new detector dog at Darwin airport. An infringement notice was issued ($2,644: £1,531) and the food was seized. The meat products will be tested for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) before they are destroyed. Expensive meal but looks absolutely delicious.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...10.726215829.1659418833-1481389966.1643628056

Passenger was being cute in bringing in breakfast McMuffins on return trip from New Zealand to Australia and was caught by Zinta the new detector dog at Darwin airport. An infringement notice was issued ($2,644: £1,531) and the food was seized. The meat products will be tested for Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) before they are destroyed. Expensive meal but looks absolutely delicious.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...10.726215829.1659418833-1481389966.1643628056
That does not look delicious in any way shape or form.

1659989199903.png

The passenger was coming from Bali, Indonesia (not New Zealand) where Foot & Mouth disease has recently been detected. Both Australia & New Zealand have the strictest customs & quarantine laws both being island nations with large agricultural industries.
An outbreak of F&M would be disastrous.
There's a local (Australian) t.v show called 'Border Security' which focuses on the incoming customs sections at our International Airports. Whilst the Customs officers do catch some people trying to smuggle in drugs, the bulk of the content is of people trying to illegally bring food into the country. At our airports, before you hit the customs desks, there are large bins where you can dispose of any foodstuffs, untreated woods, natural products like flowers etc that you may have.
We take our bio security very seriously.

At our airports, before you hit the customs desks, there are large bins where you can dispose of any foodstuffs, untreated woods, natural products like flowers etc that you may have.
We take our bio security very seriously.
And even when crossing from one State to the next as well I think?

And even when crossing from one State to the next as well I think?
Yes, you can't take fruit and veg into some states from another. Even within states there are areas where you cannot take fruit & veg by road and have to dump them in bins by the sides of the road. The fines for not doing this are large. It's mostly to control the spread of fruit fly and other pests.

Back