• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I am spoiled.
I live within a short drive of Jewish bakeries which produce the same round doughy pittas and and larger thinner laffas that one gets in Israel.
You are lucky. I'd have to go to Manchester I would think.
Yes Amba. But I did not know that was it's name, I just thought it was a type of sauce that gets chucked in when you order a shwarma!
I don't/didn't use amba very often to be honest, but it's nice for a change occasionally.

Hey @WeirdExeter -just read your post (#2,193 global warming thread).

The problem I notice with a lot of people is that they become vegan/veg/pesc just because they think they will lose weight by doing so and for no other reasons. It's like the people who hate salad but force it down themselves (and they usually buy those pre-packed, rip-off affairs that also as well as costing a fortune, have a ton of sugar and salt in them) because they can't be bothered to chop up a tomato.

Apart from the fact that I don't believe that you will ever lose weight by not eating (good quality and well prepared) meat(s), it's pointless eating something you don't enjoy. That's why they don't last very long at it. They don't really want to do it.

I saw a very obese couple in the supermarket and the trolley was full of crap; fizzy drinks/pies/frozen pizza/biscuits/crisps/cakes/chocolate/cheap bleached bread.... not even an apple in sight. People like that aren't going to last a day on any kind of diet let alone vegan/veg/pesc.

The problem I notice with a lot of people is that they become vegan/veg/pesc just because they think they will lose weight by doing so and for no other reasons. It's like the people who hate salad but force it down themselves (and they usually buy those pre-packed, rip-off affairs that also as well as costing a fortune, have a ton of sugar and salt in them) because they can't be bothered to chop up a tomato.

Apart from the fact that I don't believe that you will ever lose weight by not eating (good quality and well prepared) meat(s), it's pointless eating something you don't enjoy. That's why they don't last very long at it. They don't really want to do it.

I saw a very obese couple in the supermarket and the trolley was full of crap; fizzy drinks/pies/frozen pizza/biscuits/crisps/cakes/chocolate/cheap bleached bread.... not even an apple in sight. People like that aren't going to last a day on any kind of diet let alone vegan/veg/pesc.
As a nation we eat far too much cheap, low-welfare and often heavily processed meat and cutting back on that would be a great star. For example, you don’t need pork in cheap sausage rolls. Reduction is an achievable goal rather than attempting to adopt a diet in which you will have failed if you so much as succumb to a free-range egg for your lunch.

Total respect for vegetarian, it is a healthy and achievable diet. For me personally I would miss fish too much and I’m not mad keen on cheese.

Plant based seafood? ... what plant was this seafood grown from? ..
MrsF buys vegan oxo cubes that are very authentic. The 'chicken' one is very, 'chickeny' and I wondered how the heck they do that.

See previous question…

maximus otter
I did and I'm with you on this one. Why do a lot of vegans shun meat etc but still ask for non meat food to taste like meat? .. that's the only thing I don't get .. I used to have vegans ask me for meatless chicken (which we sold) and meatless meatballs (which we also sold). Just call it what it is and then we can all get on with our lives. I used to have a vegan woman come in asking me for a meatless meatball Subway just before closing time (and this was during lockdown) so I used to bullshit her and say it was sooo popular that we'd sold out. We hadn't.

"WHY IS IT EVERYTIME I COME IN, YOU HAVEN'T GOT MEATLESS MEATBALLS!??"

I would have liked to have replied with "Because the nation has currently been put in a state of national emergency. We're almost at rationing levels what with the food bank down the road, Morrisons doing home delivery for the first time so people can eat at all so bespoke request can fuck off at the moment. Especially ten minutes or so before I'm about to go home, again crossing my fingers I haven't caught covid today. Madam."

I did and I'm with you on this one. Why do a lot of vegans shun meat etc but still ask for non meat food to taste like meat? ..
Be careful, you know what happens to Uncle Max's blood pressure where vegans are concerned. He's at that tricky age now you know;

As I said to young Trev the other week, I understand what you're saying, but the reason is this- I spent 42 years eating meat so it is very difficult to forget the taste. It's not that I want, or crave meat (although I thought I would do when I fisrt stopped), but I'm so used to occasionally having, say sausages and eggs that it is ingrained in my dna, I suppose you could say.

Someone, who from birth, has never eaten meat won't get this same feeling. It's akin to someone who has never worn shoes- they don't miss them. In fact, not only that, they would probably hate to have to wear them.

(I am pescatarian not vegan, so perhaps it's easier for me to not 'want' meat as much as it (may) do for a vegan/vegetarian).

There is a lot of utter rubbish talked about diet. Your body deals in chemicals, it's not very interested in what form the necessary chemicals arrive. Generally speaking , too much or too little of any of the necessary chemicals is bad for you.

Whether the chemicals come in the form of a burger or humous salad is of no interest to your body's general function, though it may affect your digestive tract in various ways - vegan diets and fast foods can both be disruptive to the normal processing of foods through the body. As can an excessive indulgence in pretty much anything. In my case cheese.

More energy (calories) than the body can currently use gets stored as fat. The only way to lose fat is to burn more energy than you consume.

I was a vegetarian for years, and loved it, but occasionally had fish. I was extremely thin and healthy.
Once I got married, it was too much to cook two dinners every night, and Mr. R was in construction and wanted roast beef dinners and the like to keep up with his physical labor.
It took me years to eat chicken again, still don't eat much beef, a little turkey. I find that I still eat a majority of vegetables, fruits and a variety of salads. The doctors always say 'big green leafy salads, tons of veggies and fruits', I suppose to get away from the greasy, heavy meats.
But the last doctor I saw mentioned 'cheese', which is a favorite of mine!

There is a lot of utter rubbish talked about diet. Your body deals in chemicals, it's not very interested in what form the necessary chemicals arrive. Generally speaking , too much or too little of any of the necessary chemicals is bad for you.

Whether the chemicals come in the form of a burger or humous salad is of no interest to your body's general function, though it may affect your digestive tract in various ways - vegan diets and fast foods can both be disruptive to the normal processing of foods through the body. As can an excessive indulgence in pretty much anything. In my case cheese.

More energy (calories) than the body can currently use gets stored as fat. The only way to lose fat is to burn more energy than you consume.
Well, I still reckon that living on 'fizzy drinks/pies/frozen pizza/biscuits/crisps/cakes/chocolate/cheap bleached bread'... isn't going to be good for you. And stuff like that makes me feel crap anyway.

Well, I still reckon that living on 'fizzy drinks/pies/frozen pizza/biscuits/crisps/cakes/chocolate/cheap bleached bread'... isn't going to be good for you. And stuff like that makes me feel crap anyway.
Well, agreed. It's not so much that that food is crap, though, as that it's lacking some necessary food groups so missing some of those chemicals I was wittering on about.

I doubt they are on vitamin supplements to make up for the omissions.

Mind yer hips.

Women who do not eat meat are more likely to break their hips in later life, a study has claimed.

Researchers followed 26,000 women for about 20 years and found vegetarians in the group were a third more likely to experience fractures than meat eaters.
University of Leeds experts said some vegetarians may lack enough nutrients for good bone and muscle health, which raised the risk of breaks.
However, the study authors said people should not abandon vegetarian diets.
Researchers analysed the group of women, who were aged 35 to 69, to assess links between health and diet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-62504018

…vegetarians in the group were a third more likely to experience fractures than meat eaters. However, the study authors said people should not abandon vegetarian diets.

- From the “experts”, who daily try to terrify us by asserting that doing [something currently disapproved of by our lords and masters] might increase our chances of developing cancer/heart disease/split ends by 1%…

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

What are your views of milk? Do we really need milk 'for our bones' as we've been told from an early age, or should humans not drink it as some people maintain?
I used to drink gallons of the stuff as a child.

Mind yer hips.

Women who do not eat meat are more likely to break their hips in later life, a study has claimed.

Researchers followed 26,000 women for about 20 years and found vegetarians in the group were a third more likely to experience fractures than meat eaters.
University of Leeds experts said some vegetarians may lack enough nutrients for good bone and muscle health, which raised the risk of breaks.
However, the study authors said people should not abandon vegetarian diets.
Researchers analysed the group of women, who were aged 35 to 69, to assess links between health and diet.

What are your views of milk? Do we really need milk 'for our bones' as we've been told from an early age, or should humans not drink it as some people maintain?
I used to drink gallons of the stuff as a child.
I make sure to drink milk every single day, even give it to the cats. I think it is important for the bones, teeth and skin.
And though not eating meat may make women susceptible to hip / bone problems, exercise is one of the most important things necessary to bones, muscles, ligaments, and circulatory / heart systems.
Watching older people, I notice that once they start sitting down and watching tv for the day, they are cutting years off their life.

And though not eating meat may make women susceptible to hip / bone problems, exercise is one of the most important things necessary to bones, muscles, ligaments, and circulatory / heart systems. Watching older people, I notice that once they start sitting down and watching tv for the day, they are cutting years off their life.

:chuckle:

maximus otter

Back