• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Royal Prophecy That Could Still Come True?

Misty

Fresh Blood
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. It's my first post and I joined in order to get it written down in case it comes true. It concerns a story my Grandmother told me when I was in my early teens. She died in 1967 so it was in the mid-sixties. This story was given to her by an old lady when she was young so she would have heard it before the First World War. I can't remember any details she might have given me about the 'old lady' but it might have been the woman who taught her to read tea leaves.

The story is quite complicated and concerns the Royal Succession. Basically it is that three heirs apparent (first-born sons) in a row will fail to be crowned king of the United Kingdom. The first was Prince Albert Victor who was the eldest son of Edward VII. He was born as heir apparent and would have been Prince of Wales when his father became king but he died in 1892 when his grandmother, Victoria, was still on the throne. His brother became King George V in due course. George's eldest son Prince Edward was born in 1894 so was heir apparent at birth and is better known as Edward VIII, the Duke of Windsor, who abdicated before he was crowned. His brother George VI became king in 1936. George VI's daughter, Elizabeth II, was never heir apparent as it was always possible in theory that George VI could have a son who would take precedence over her so she was an heir presumptive until her Coronation. Of course her son, Charles, Prince of Wales was born as an heir apparent and he and his mother are still going strong.

Grandma said that she didn't think much of this prophecy when she was told it as it was fairly complicated and unlikely to happen. It was only when Edward VIII abdicated that she started to believe it could come true. She said the Royal Family had been cursed but wasn't sure of the reason or who did the cursing, so that was as vague as the prophecy was specific. She told me that she was unlikely to find out if the last of the three failed to be crowned, but that I would know before too long. Of course neither of us back in the sixties could imagine that I would still be waiting to see if it happens in 2022.

As I said at the beginning, the main reason for this post is to put it on a public forum before it happens. If it doesn't come true then it's taken an awful long time to be proved wrong and if it does come true I'll be really annoyed that I didn't write it down in a public place. I've told quite a few friends who are interested in Fortean subjects but it would only be hearsay if I called on them to verify it after the event. And there's always the thing that writing a prophecy down makes sure it will never happen! Also I wonder if anyone else has come across this story? My Grandma was born in Bath but lived in Bristol all her life.

I've been a subscriber to Fortean Times since the 1990s and have been meaning to write to you about this since then. Finally done it!

I remember reading one of Jeane Dixon's predictions on the royal family, back in the 1990's.
She was a famous American astrologer who predicted JFK's assassination back in 1963, and passed on in 1997.
Anyway, she predicted that Prince William, the son of Prince Charles and Diana, would be the last King of England.
Sounds unbelievable, perhaps she was wrong.

The last king of England was William III. He was also king of Ireland and Scotland, but separately. Kings and Queens since that date have all been monarchs of the United Kingdom.

King Henry VIII was the first English monarch to call himself king of Ireland, but he had been king of England alone for a while. James I of England and Ireland was also James VI of Scotland.

Last edited:
I remember reading one of Jeane Dixon's predictions on the royal family, back in the 1990's.
She was a famous American astrologer who predicted JFK's assassination back in 1963, and passed on in 1997.
Anyway, she predicted that Prince William, the son of Prince Charles and Diana, would be the last King of England.
It could happen, anything is possible, but as Eburacum pointed out he would be King of the United Kingdom. But if Scotland leaves the Union and becomes a republic then Charles or William could become King of England {and Wales} again. I imagine Northern Ireland will soon reunite with Ireland if the UK breaks up. Maybe the prophecy will come true that Charles is not king of the UK, but only England? In which case that means Elizabeth will live for at least another 2 or 3 years for Scotland to be independent.

It's possible that at some point in the future, some forces at play may conspire to dissolve the monarchy.
If the WEF have their way, that might come to pass.

If Charles became King, he would be King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of his other realms and territories.

In that the United Kingdom is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales, he would be King of England.
Also of Scotland, Wales and many other countries, realms and territories.

With the caveat that any number of countries might cede from the United Kingdom and Commonwealth in the future.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. It's my first post and I joined in order to get it written down in case it comes true. It concerns a story my Grandmother told me when I was in my early teens. She died in 1967 so it was in the mid-sixties. This story was given to her by an old lady when she was young so she would have heard it before the First World War. I can't remember any details she might have given me about the 'old lady' but it might have been the woman who taught her to read tea leaves.

The story is quite complicated and concerns the Royal Succession. Basically it is that three heirs apparent (first-born sons) in a row will fail to be crowned king of the United Kingdom. The first was Prince Albert Victor who was the eldest son of Edward VII. He was born as heir apparent and would have been Prince of Wales when his father became king but he died in 1892 when his grandmother, Victoria, was still on the throne. His brother became King George V in due course. George's eldest son Prince Edward was born in 1894 so was heir apparent at birth and is better known as Edward VIII, the Duke of Windsor, who abdicated before he was crowned. His brother George VI became king in 1936. George VI's daughter, Elizabeth II, was never heir apparent as it was always possible in theory that George VI could have a son who would take precedence over her so she was an heir presumptive until her Coronation. Of course her son, Charles, Prince of Wales was born as an heir apparent and he and his mother are still going strong.

Grandma said that she didn't think much of this prophecy when she was told it as it was fairly complicated and unlikely to happen. It was only when Edward VIII abdicated that she started to believe it could come true. She said the Royal Family had been cursed but wasn't sure of the reason or who did the cursing, so that was as vague as the prophecy was specific. She told me that she was unlikely to find out if the last of the three failed to be crowned, but that I would know before too long. Of course neither of us back in the sixties could imagine that I would still be waiting to see if it happens in 2022.

As I said at the beginning, the main reason for this post is to put it on a public forum before it happens. If it doesn't come true then it's taken an awful long time to be proved wrong and if it does come true I'll be really annoyed that I didn't write it down in a public place. I've told quite a few friends who are interested in Fortean subjects but it would only be hearsay if I called on them to verify it after the event. And there's always the thing that writing a prophecy down makes sure it will never happen! Also I wonder if anyone else has come across this story? My Grandma was born in Bath but lived in Bristol all her life.

I've been a subscriber to Fortean Times since the 1990s and have been meaning to write to you about this since then. Finally done it!
Well it is possible at this stage that Charles could die before the Queen.

A lot of people think it should just go to William anyway. But poor old Charles has waited a very long time.

I can't think why Charles would want the job at his age now anyway. Far better to be sitting in the garden at Highgrove in his dressing gown and slippers while smoking a big joint.
Not want the job you’ve waited your whole life for? As it is if he ever gets it it won’t be for long.

Not want the job you’ve waited your whole life for? As it is if he ever gets it it won’t be for long.
Well of course we don't really know what he hopes for I suppose, but at 73 I'd think he'd like a bit of peace and quiet now. He's seen the world and been in the public eye since he was born. Evey move you make and everything you say scrutinised. That must get tiring. I think that's why Phillip lost his cool on occasion.
Of course when he does travel it's all very luxurious, but I'd bet he'd rather stay at home and talk to his plants. I know I would at that age.

Well of course we don't really know what he hopes for I suppose, but at 73 I'd think he'd like a bit of peace and quiet now. He's seen the world and been in the public eye since he was born. Evey move you make and everything you say scrutinised. That must get tiring. I think that's why Phillip lost his cool on occasion.
Of course when he does travel it's all very luxurious, but I'd bet he'd rather stay at home and talk to his plants. I know I would at that age.
When did Philip lose it?

Reactions: Ger
While it would be fascinating for this prophecy to come true, I'm struggling to see the point of it.

What is the message of the prophecy? Is it foretelling the pattern that ends the monarchy?
Is it a warning of the demise of the system? Or just changing times and expectations.

It gets worse. Queen Elizabeth is Lord of Mann, and Duke of Normandy (not the Duchess).
However did she pull that off? Wasn't there a physical she had to pass?

And is anyone Lady of Womann?

If Charles became King, he would be King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of his other realms and territories.

In that the United Kingdom is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales, he would be King of England.

With the caveat that any number of countries might cede from the United Kingdom and Commonwealth in the future.
In a more serious vein: I always thought that being monarch of the UK and monarch of any one of the Commonwealth realms was parallel but independent. That is, the Queen of the UK is Queen of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland because she is Queen of the UK, but she is Queen of Canada (or Australia, or Jamaica, etc.) because she is the successor to the previous monarch of that country, not of the UK.

At this point it sounds believable to me. Charles may not be healthy enough to outlive his mother, even though she is not doing well, so that would make William next in line. So both prophecies could come true. I think the british royal family is falling apart and there will be no use for them or they will not want to be "royal" anymore. It is a different world than it was 60 years ago.

While it would be fascinating for this prophecy to come true, I'm struggling to see the point of it.

What is the message of the prophecy? Is it foretelling the pattern that ends the monarchy?
Is it a warning of the demise of the system? Or just changing times and expectations.
As I said, I've no idea. Grandma thought there was a curse involved but she couldn't remember the details, if she was even told them. I suppose it was just the idea that any eldest son was doomed not to inherit. I agree it is an odd prophecy.

This is really interesting, the only king with a male heir of his body alive at this death who failed to inherit was Edward IV, or so I've been told, so the inheritance to the throne can be quite convoluted

James II also has a son, the Old Pretender, alive at his death who failed to inherit but James had 'abdicated' by then in the Glorious Revolution.
Unless he was smuggled in in a warming pan

Unless he was smuggled in in a warming pan
True! Most historians discredit that story as propaganda these days. Seems unlikely that a king would allow a suppositious child inherit his family's birthright, especially when he already had children of his own, irrespective of their religion.

It is, of course, all based upon there being no 'hanky panky' on the side at any point that might (or might not) make existing lines of succession corrupted in some way.

And don't forget 'Crown Dependencies' and the 'Bailiwicks'.

Charles may not be healthy enough to outlive his mother, even though she is not doing well, so that would make William next in line
Hmm......Charles could meet with some sort of "accident" too :wink2:

Hmm......Charles could meet with some sort of "accident" too :wink2:
I hypothesise that he will be strongly advised to step aside in favour of his son, who has a modicum of popularity, in order to give the monarchy a cat's chance of not being abolished inside a generation.

Back