• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monkeypox / Monkey Pox

Ex-FDA Director Gottlieb claims that monkey pox will become the biggest public health failure in the U.S.

It could be too late to stop the spread.

First Covid, then Ukraine, then countless other disasters, problems, cost of energy, food shortages next year, probable power cuts this winter, climate emergency, the NHS falling apart, and the rest of it and now the next dose of fear laden doom and gloom is on it's way.

From the San Francisco AIDS Foundation's guide to enjoying the Dore Alley kink and fetish festival:

"See a bump on your skin and worried that it might be monkeypox? If you’re not sure, and you still want to go out tonight, cover it up with a bandaid or clothing before you go out."

:headbang:

maximus otter

The rest of the paragraph goes on to say:

"If you feel like it’s likely to be monkeypox (for instance if you know you may have been exposed), it makes sense to stay home and wait on going out until you can get it checked out by your healthcare provider."

Safer sex campaigns are aware that some people won't abstain from sexual activity no matter what the danger (indeed, some people find it a thrill) No sex is 100% safe, but it can be made safer.

Last edited:
The National Association of Phlebotomists admits that some lab technicians in the U.S. are refusing to working with monkey pox infected people.

The Association says this is disappointing and will try to re-educate these phlebotomists on the safe way to handle monkey pox.

President Biden has declared a monkey pox health emergency as the number of cases grow in the U.S.

Right now there is not enough vaccinations for the states to use and more needs to be made.

American CDC is concerned as a female cashier working in Georgia claims she has no contact with anyone personally, but only goes to work.

Camille Seaton claims she thought she had an acne pimple on her face and things from there got worse along with fever, chills, and aches.

Camille claims there was no skin contact with anyone, so how did she get it ?

CDC guidance on monkeypox precautions is changed to advise avoiding contact with pet dogs. A French case reported in The Lancet demonstrates infected people can infect their dogs.

CDC changes guidance after dog contracts monkeypox from owners

A ... new case study suggests that people can pass the virus on to their pet dogs.

Therefore, people who are infected with the virus should avoid close contact with their pets, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control now advises in an updated guidance.

The change reflects the first documented cases of a pet getting the virus from its owner, according to CBS News. That case happened in France, according to a new paper published in The Lancet.

"To the best of our knowledge, the kinetics of symptom onset in both patients and, subsequently, in their dog suggest human-to-dog transmission of monkeypox virus," the researchers concluded in the paper. ...

In this case, a 4-year-old Italian greyhound developed lesions and tested positive for monkeypox 12 days after its owners first showed symptoms. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2022/08/15/dog-monkeypox/8431660595586/

CDC guidance on monkeypox precautions is changed to advise avoiding contact with pet dogs. A French case reported in The Lancet demonstrates infected people can infect their dogs.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2022/08/15/dog-monkeypox/8431660595586/

Maybe the dog owner was a monkey.

little-dog-monkey-little-dog-monkey-monkey-hill-thailand-102285576.jpg

Here's the stupidest monkeypox question ever, I'm sure, but I've not seen an answer anywhere and I really need to know:

Are there any authority-types who are trying to blame pet monkeys, or people who keep pet monkeys, for the monkeypox?

I ask because I've wanted a White-Faced Capuchin monkey for a companion animal since I was a little kid, and still do. It's a dream of mine -- but the damned authorities in the USA have already made it very difficult for a person to have one (unless you're a sadistic scientist or scientistic sadist who wants to torture monkeys, in which case you can have all you can afford), and I'd really hate to have an uninformed or biased official reaction to a stupid disease be the last nail in my dream of simian friendship's casket.

There have been indications of monkey persecution motivated by the monkeypox outbreak, and the WHO has requested people to not blame monkeys nor attack monkeys because of the disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/10/who-monkeypox-monkeys-brazil-attacks/

In other words, monkeys have definitely been targeted as causes and victims for abuse (poisoning; killing), but they're not uniquely at fault for the disease or its transmission. I don't know whether there have been any cases of anti-monkey actions relating to pet monkeys.

The most likely natural reservoirs for monkeypox virus are rodents, not monkeys. Nonetheless, monkeys can be infected with the virus, and close contact with an infected animal may transmit the disease.

Last edited:
First Covid, then Ukraine, then countless other disasters, problems, cost of energy, food shortages next year, probable power cuts this winter, climate emergency, the NHS falling apart, and the rest of it and now the next dose of fear laden doom and gloom is on it's way.
Next it be Bullpox or Bullshit be better termed.

Here's the stupidest monkeypox question ever, I'm sure, but I've not seen an answer anywhere and I really need to know:

Are there any authority-types who are trying to blame pet monkeys, or people who keep pet monkeys, for the monkeypox?

I ask because I've wanted a White-Faced Capuchin monkey for a companion animal since I was a little kid, and still do. It's a dream of mine -- but the damned authorities in the USA have already made it very difficult for a person to have one (unless you're a sadistic scientist or scientistic sadist who wants to torture monkeys, in which case you can have all you can afford), and I'd really hate to have an uninformed or biased official reaction to a stupid disease be the last nail in my dream of simian friendship's casket.
I don't think monkeys will be banned because as noted below it's mostly spread by rodents, but think about that capuchin - they're social animals and one will actually be very unhappy without a large group of capuchins around it. Maybe you could volunteer at a zoo so you could help care for some?

The WHO has solicited public suggestions for renaming monkeypox. As one would expect, some folks haven't taken the campaign seriously.
Poxy McPoxface among the candidates for new WHO-accredited name for monkeypox

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has – perhaps questionably – decided to open up the process of naming the disease to the public, amid concerns about the current name having racist connotations.

Unsurprisingly, Poxy McPoxface is among the options to have since been submitted, after a ship was notoriously (nearly) christened ‘Boaty McBoatface’ following a public vote.

Other suggestions for names for the rapidly spreading illness include TRUMP-22 and Mpox.

Traditionally, disease names are generally arrived at with the help of a technical committee working behind closed doors. ...

After a slow start, dozens of submissions have now been made from a range of contributors including academics, doctors, and a gay community activist. ...

The WHO said it would decide among the proposals ‘according to their scientific validity, their acceptability, their pronounceability (and) whether they can be used in different languages’.

Spokesperson Fadela Chaib promised on Tuesday: ‘I am sure we will not come up with a ridiculous name.’

Pressure is growing for a new name for the disease, with critics pointing out that it is misleading, since monkeys are not the original animal host. ...
FULL STORY: https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/16/monk...didates-for-new-who-accredited-name-17194533/

In Georgia, we've had two cases where the people involved insist they did not get Monkeypox from intimate contact.

The first woman to get it here indicated she thinks she got it from taking money as a cashier and frequently touching her face while doing so:
‘This thing is spreading. It’s here’: First Georgia woman with monkeypox speaks out about diagnosis

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — Thursday, the Biden Administration declared the monkeypox virus a public health emergency.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are more 6,000 cases nationwide.

In Georgia, there are 504 cases. Four of those cases are women.

Channel 2′s Audrey Washington spoke with the first woman in Georgia to contract the virus.

“I’m in the healing stages. As you can see my face is starting to scab up,” said Camille Seaton. “I saw bumps break out and I kid you not, in this same array and I just thought it was a breakout.”

Seaton said the breakout, along with headaches, chills and fatigue didn’t go away.

She went to the emergency room and got tested.

“I waited on the results and it was positive. I had monkeypox,” Seaton said.

Infectious disease doctors said those currently impacted the most by the virus are gay or bisexual men.

Doctors also said anyone can contract the virus through close contact.

Seaton is a cashier and believes she likely caught monkeypox at work.

“I just want y’all to know that I did not do anything sexual to contract this disease. This thing is spreading. It’s here,” Seaton said.

Washington spoke with Dr. Jayne Morgan, executive director of the COVID-19 Task Force for Piedmont Healthcare Corporation, and asked her how transmissible the virus is and what, in addition to getting the vaccine, can people do to stay monkeypox-free.

“You can get it from sharing towels and sharing linens, if the person who used the towel or slept in that bed is infected with the monkeypox virus,” Morgan said. “The normal cleaning and disinfecting processes should be maintained.”

Seaton said she wants anyone who hears her story to take the virus seriously.

“These scars will fade, but you will forever notice,” Seaton said.

Seaton is still in isolation and out of work. She started a GoFundMe account to help with expenses.

Another worker at the local amusement park Six Flags Over Georgia says he got it from just working at the park and being around people:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ntracts-monkeypox/OKEAHPXVT5ABZBW57ZDKEEGL3Y/
“I can’t believe I got this.” Six Flags worker contracts monkeypox

“I can’t believe I got this.” Six Flags worker contracts monkeypox

By WSBTV.com News StaffAugust 16, 2022 at 2:25 pm EDT

ATLANTA — It’s a diagnosis a 28-year-old Georgia resident, who didn’t want to be identified, says he’s still wrapping his head around.

“I couldn’t believe I got it,” he said.

He spoke to Channel 2’s Ashli Lincoln exclusively through Zoom after being diagnosed with the monkeypox virus by doctors at Emory.

“Now I’m here, and now I have to get treated,” he said.

He says he suspects he got the virus from his job at Six Flags Over Georgia.

“It’s just the fact that there are a lot of people that work there. There are a lot of guests that come in and out of the park every day that we operate,” he said.

Channel 2 confirmed the man is, in fact, an employee with Six Flags Over Georgia.

He says the park has done a great job with sanitizing in recent months.

Transmission of monkeypox typically takes skin-to-skin or other close contact to transmit, according to the Georgia Department of Health.

The DPH says touching items like clothing or linens that previously touched the rash or body fluids is one way monkeypox spreads but has not been identified as a common mode of transmission in this outbreak or for monkeypox in general.

Passing encounters with money, a door handle, or environmental surfaces carry an even lower risk than things like bedding or towels, according to the DPH.

The DPH says 90% of the cases are contracted through skin-to-skin contact.

Latest numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveal 851 confirmed cases in the state of Georgia.

As the numbers continue to climb, hundreds are lining up at vaccination events across the metro area.

This week, U.S. health officials announced that they’d be stretching the nation’s limited supply of the monkeypox vaccine by giving people just one-fifth of the full dose. Doing this would expand the 440,000 available full doses to more than 2 million smaller doses.

“It is itchy, and they told me not to scratch. I can’t scratch,” said the Six Flags employee.

The Six Flags employee says he’s in the process of alerting management.

The amusement park sent Channel 2 a statement on Friday afternoon saying they’re unaware of any confirmed monkeypox cases.

That statement was updated on Saturday morning to say:

Six Flags Over Georgia maintains a stringent sanitation protocol, created with guidance from our Board Certified Infectious Disease consultant. We also strictly comply with HIPPA regulations, and company policy mandates that any team member that does not feel well should stay home from work and notify their supervisor. Guests are also advised to plan their visit for another day if they are not well.

We have been notified of a single confirmed diagnosis of monkeypox. The team member did the right thing by staying home.

The CDC reports that monkeypox is transmitted through close, personal contact.

We have not been advised, nor is there any evidence, that the team member came in contact with any other team member, and no evidence that the team member contracted the infectious disease at work. Further, we have not received any reports that any other team member has this disease.

We will remain vigilant in our ongoing, day-to-day efforts to provide safe, fun, outdoor entertainment for our guests, and a safe work environment for our team members. Safety is, and always has been, our top priority.

The state’s Department of Health says 90% of the cases are contracted through skin-to-skin contact.

However, the CDC says the virus can spread through fabrics and objects after touching these items behind an infected person.

In Georgia, we've had two cases where the people involved insist they did not get Monkeypox from intimate contact.

The first woman to get it here indicated she thinks she got it from taking money as a cashier and frequently touching her face while doing so:

Another worker at the local amusement park Six Flags Over Georgia says he got it from just working at the park and being around people:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ntracts-monkeypox/OKEAHPXVT5ABZBW57ZDKEEGL3Y/
It does spread as a respiratory virus as well, theoretically not as well as covid.

Bit like the guy who tells his GP he caught an STD from a Toilet seat.

GP replies “you must have been chewing it as it’s in your gums”

The UK will start doing what the U.S. is doing giving monkey pox vaccination at 1/5 the strength.

Instead of IM, the vaccine is place just underneath the skin.

There is not enough vaccine available at the present, but some medical people question if this procedure works.

The UK will start doing what the U.S. is doing giving monkey pox vaccination at 1/5 the strength.

Instead of IM, the vaccine is place just underneath the skin.

There is not enough vaccine available at the present, but some medical people question if this procedure works.
Most people are not going to need this jab.

Monkeypox is now reported in all states of the U.S.

Wyoming was the last state to report a case.

Because of indiscriminate killing of monkeys in Brazil, conservationists want to change the monkey pox name to Mpox.

In the U.S. gay men said they are being targeted want to change the name to MKP.

Because of indiscriminate killing of monkeys in Brazil, conservationists want to change the monkey pox name to Mpox.

In the U.S. gay men said they are being targeted want to change the name to MKP.
What is MKP supposed to mean. Many known possibilities?:) Jk on my suggestion cb, but what does that stand for? Why do men who are gay want this weird looking set of letters?

What is MKP supposed to mean. Many known possibilities?:) Jk on my suggestion cb, but what does that stand for? Why do men who are gay want this weird looking set of letters?

SOME loud and assertive gay men want it to be called MKP.

It should be MKPX, sounds cooler.

The phrase 'monkey pox' is too memorable and too immediately identifiable to be replaced, regardless or what alternatives are officially adopted.

Can you imagine telling the mediaeval populace to stop saying 'the plague' or 'the black death'?

Nothing else will catch on.

MPX is also used.

Mmm... pronounced "Empex" I think it has a certain ring to it.

Two gay men meet on the street:

1st Gay man: Hey babe, you had your Empex jab/shot yet?

2nd Gay man: Why, yes I have. How 'bout you?

1st Gay man: Me to, I'm all Empexed up. Wanna fuck?

2nd Gay man: Yeah, sure.

MPOX it is.

Senior Biden officials who have been pressuring the World Health Organization to rename monkeypox have succeeded in their efforts. Monkeypox has been rebranded MPOX. The White House requested the name change because of its racist connotation.

The name change proposal was met with some opposition. Some health experts argued that the name change could cause confusion and make it more difficult to track the disease. However, the administration argued that the name change was necessary in order to remove the stigma associated with "monkeypox. "

The original name of monkeypox was chosen based on the fact that the disease is commonly found in monkeys. The new name, MPOX, is more representative of the fact that the disease can affect humans as well.

https://boingboing.net/2022/11/23/world-health-organization-renames-monkeypox-its-now-mpox.html

Back