• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pastor Berates Congregants For Not Buying Him A Luxury Watch

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This Missouri preacher scolded his congregation for (among other things) not gifting him a luxury watch he'd told them he wanted. The resulting social media storm has forced him to publicly apologize.
Missouri pastor says congregation is 'poor, broke, busted' for not buying him a luxury Movado watch

A Kansas City, Missouri, pastor who said his congregation was "poor, broke busted and disgusted" for not buying him the luxury watch he wanted has issued an apology after his remarks caused a stir on social media.

Carlton Funderburke, the senior pastor at Church at the Well, issued an apology video Tuesday for the "inexcusable" remarks he made in an Aug. 7 sermon.

"Though there is context behind the content of the clip, no context will suffice to explain the hurt and anguish caused by my words. I've spoken to those I am accountable to and have received their correction and instruction," he said. "I have also privately apologized to our church, who has extended their love and support to me." ...

In a video clip of his sermon posted on TikTok, Funderburke berates his church members for not "honoring" him with a Movado watch.

"This is how I know you’re still poor, broke, busted and disgusted, because of how you been honoring me. I’m not worth your McDonald’s money? I’m not worth your Red Lobster money? I ain’t worth your St. John Knits — y’all can’t afford nohow. I ain’t worth y'all Louis Vuitton? I ain’t worth your Prada? I’m not worth your Gucci?" he said in the nearly minutelong clip.

At one point, Funderburke tells the congregation that a Movado watch can be bought at Sam's Club.

"And y'all know I asked for one last year. Here it is all the way in August and I still ain’t got it," he said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...poor-broke-busted-not-buying-luxury-rcna43557

It wasn't as if he was asking for a diamond studded gold Rolex either.

I wonder how smal his congregation shrunk after that. And who in that congregation has Louise Vatan and Guchi? How idiotic.

I think that pastor needs to be exorcised of the demon Mammon!
And make it as painful as possible!
twisted.gif

But, when you think about it, wasn't he actually just being a damn sight more honest than all those multi millionaire, Rolex wearing, private jet riding, pastors who cajole, berate and shit-eating grin through 20 000 dollars of dental work on their own TV channels every fucking day of the week?

Really he's just a small, if deeply unpleasant fish in a pond packed full of rotten smelling sharks.

No doubt he's a student of the Kenneth Copeland school of Ministry.

''You can’t “talk to God” while flying commercial.''

There us a concept in some churches here that I understand as being called "prosperity gospel" that ties monetary gain and excess with having the favor of God. The richer you are, the more godly and holy your life is, and if you are losing money and/or are poor, you are being punished for your sins. I don't know exactly where it started or what groups subscribe to it...

There us a concept in some churches here that I understand as being called "prosperity gospel" that ties monetary gain and excess with having the favor of God. The richer you are, the more godly and holy your life is, and if you are losing money and/or are poor, you are being punished for your sins. I don't know exactly where it started or what groups subscribe to it...

In the Christian tradition, this idea is so tempting that I suspect it is independently re-invented periodically. Over and over and over and....
I vote for the Calvinists as being one of the more influential groups who believed in a version of this. This has certainly drifted far away from the homeless, penniless Jesus.

... I don't know exactly where it started or what groups subscribe to it...

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

The linkage to personal / material "success" and / or "wealth" can be traced back to the late 19th century. The more modern version of this orientation (re-?)emerged among the postwar faith healers and evangelists (e.g., Oral Roberts; A. A. Allen).

Back