• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

From here:
https://www.pcgamer.com/mark-zucker...e-got-was-this-stupid-selfie/?utm_source=digg

I don't want to start this post by personally attacking Mark Zuckerberg's eyes, which have in years past been described as "two weird lil black marbles" and "vacant, black shark eyes." Who wouldn't look utterly bereft of a soul after trying to explain the internet to the United States Senate? I also don't need to suggest Mark Zuckerberg may in fact be a robot, since there's an entire meme community devoted to that joke. I am avoiding these easy, obvious dunks on ol' Zuck because his latest "metaverse" selfie looks so bad, he's already owned himself harder than I possibly could.

Zuckerberg posted a screenshot from Meta's Horizon Worlds (opens in new tab) on Facebook earlier this week, saying that he's "looking forward to seeing people explore and build immersive worlds" in the VR "metaverse." The screenshot is not just bad: it is exquisitely bad. It is ironic clipart bad. It is stock-cratering, anyone-other-than-a-billionaire-CEO-would-immediately-be-fired-for-this bad. Meta spent $10 billion on developing whatever the hell it's doing with the metaverse last year, and all it's got to show for it is a baby doll-faced Zuckerberg hovering in front of a miniature Eiffel Tower.

View attachment 58245
Money well spent there.

The Chinese built whole cities that no one lives in.
It's little known but the UK also has a large number of empty properties. I expect that more than a few are new build, and I see plenty of new estates going up (on my travels) and I doubt they are 'selling like hot cakes'.

The latest UK Government data shows that over 216,000 homes in England have been empty for over six months. In total, over 600,000 homes are currently vacant in England, more than the UK Government’s housebuilding target of 300,000 per year.
Currently, there are over 80,000 empty homes in Band A for Council Tax, with 97 per cent of local authorities reporting high levels of empty homes, citing owners’ inability to fund repairs as the reason.

https://www.propertymark.co.uk/reso...o many empty homes,target of 300,000 per year.

The Chinese built whole cities that no one lives in.

I know these ghost town exist but I didn’t know they’re now being demolished en masse.

The video does’t really explain it for me. He says someone he knows was looking at an apartment in an expensive part of town & the mortgage was $4400 per month but rental value $705. So who’s buying these apartments to make them so expensive? It wouldn’t seem to be a good investment for the wealthy unless the property market continually increases, maybe that's the case but it's a bubble waiting to burst..

There’s the Evergrande property company which has accumulated huge financial debt so probably a lot of these schemes have simply run out of money to ever finish them. Best to knock ‘em down now rather than let them slowly rot then collapse in 30 years time. Add in the fact they’re in remote spots where no-one wants to live. I suspect large brown envelopes were exchanged all down the line. What a fucked state of affairs.

I know these ghost town exist but I didn’t know they’re now being demolished en masse.

The video does’t really explain it for me. He says someone he knows was looking at an apartment in an expensive part of town & the mortgage was $4400 per month but rental value $705. So who’s buying these apartments to make them so expensive? It wouldn’t seem to be a good investment for the wealthy unless the property market continually increases, maybe that's the case but it's a bubble waiting to burst..

There’s the Evergrande property company which has accumulated huge financial debt so probably a lot of these schemes have simply run out of money to ever finish them.
It's very serious.

Many Chinese investors have stopped paying their mortgages on these ghost city apartments.

The Chinese property market is in trouble as a result, and that affects the Chinese economy.
And in turn the world economy.

Might their government distract the population by an invasion of Taiwan?

@Victory .....careful now.....don't want to be getting near political comment, whether here or in China!

Reactions: Sid
From a book I'm reading:

It is nearly twenty years since I first walked on to a psychiatric ward. At the time I was an undergraduate psychology student at the University College of North Wales, naive about the harsh realities of psychiatric care, but determined to prove myself in the hope of securing a career in clinical psychology.* Like most students in the 1970s, I wore faded blue jeans and a sweatshirt for all occasions. This caused at least one nurse to mistake me for a patient. (She attempted to overcome her embarrassment byexplaining that she had assumed I was a psychopath rather than a schizophrenic. Apparently the patients attending the hospital’s drug rehabilitation unit nearly all wore jeans and nearly all were thought to show evidence of a ‘psychopathic’ or anti-social personality.)

From a book I'm reading:

It is nearly twenty years since I first walked on to a psychiatric ward. At the time I was an undergraduate psychology student at the University College of North Wales, naive about the harsh realities of psychiatric care, but determined to prove myself in the hope of securing a career in clinical psychology.* Like most students in the 1970s, I wore faded blue jeans and a sweatshirt for all occasions. This caused at least one nurse to mistake me for a patient. (She attempted to overcome her embarrassment byexplaining that she had assumed I was a psychopath rather than a schizophrenic. Apparently the patients attending the hospital’s drug rehabilitation unit nearly all wore jeans and nearly all were thought to show evidence of a ‘psychopathic’ or anti-social personality.)
[Throws jeans away]

Man killed and eaten by lion after breaking into zoo to try and steal a cub

The shocking incident occurred in Accra Zoo, Ghana, with the man believed to be in his thirties.

He was spotted around the premises on Sunday at about 12 noon after managing to scale the zoo's security fence.

In what is suspected to be an attempt to steal a cub, the intruder, was pounced upon by the lions and devoured, according to the Forestry Commission.

And the man died from the injuries sustained in the attack which took place "within the inner fencing of the enclosure".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19645208/man-killed-eaten-lion-breaking-zoo-steal-cub/

maximus otter

London mayor Sadiq Khan tweets about the Notting Hill carnival that "the vibes are immaculate.”

Well I suppose there was only one murder, a few dozen stabbings and sexual assaults and a mere 209 arrests:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/30/fatal-stabbing-at-notting-hill-carnival

Perhaps the mayor should have waited a bit before posting his immaculate misconception?
But, but, but... some coppers danced with the participants so it's all ok.

Steve Jobs had a sense of humour.

In 1983, someone sent a note to Steve Jobs requesting his autograph. Jobs responded in a letter on official Apple letterhead stating: "I'm honored that you'd write, but I'm afraid I don't sign autographs." The letter is signed.

This funny bit of ephemera just sold for $479,939 via RR Auction.

https://boingboing.net/2022/08/25/s...-doesnt-give-autographs-sells-for-450000.html
Steve Jobs was such a non-conformist, and he and Steve Wozniak were and are the geniuses of our time! :)

Wasn't he a bit of an arse where his wife and child were concerned though?
And, even by his biography, a complete arse to work with too.
There are a lot of people who think he wasn't a creative genius, he was just a great organiser.
Apple never really invented much, in the second gen of the company under Jobs, it merely refined from other's first principles.
The iPod, iPhone, iPad and even the iMac, were all just refinements of existing machines that established the principles.
They made them easier to use, and packaged them beautifully, but didn't actually conceive of any of them.
Apart from one or two notables, such as the Collison brothers recently and Wozniak historically, most tech visionaries and entrepreneurs are generally reported to be wankers of one kind or another.

And, even by his biography, a complete arse to work with too.
There are a lot of people who think he wasn't a creative genius, he was just a great organiser.
Apple never really invented much, in the second gen of the company under Jobs, it merely refined from other's first principles.
The iPod, iPhone, iPad and even the iMac, were all just refinements of existing machines that established the principles.
They made them easier to use, and packaged them beautifully, but didn't actually conceive of any of them.
Apart from one or two notables, such as the Collison brothers recently and Wozniak historically, most tech visionaries and entrepreneurs are generally reported to be wankers of one kind or another.
He did like a bit of L.S.D though apparently. I couldn't imagine Alan Sugar taking any.

London mayor Sadiq Khan tweets about the Notting Hill carnival that "the vibes are immaculate.”

Well I suppose there was only one murder, a few dozen stabbings and sexual assaults and a mere 209 arrests:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/30/fatal-stabbing-at-notting-hill-carnival

Perhaps the mayor should have waited a bit before posting his immaculate misconception?
Yep - any other similar mass gathering resulting in such crimes would result in future events being banned. One wonders why NH continues to be allowed? (rhetorical)

LOL - Steve Wozniak was just a kid when he figured out how to con the phone company using his technical device, to make free phone calls, he was an electronics wiz.
And Steve Jobs was the marketing end of things, the two of them brought electronics to us. They saw beyond.
I didn't see anyone here doing that.

In New York City it is now legal to smoke weed, but illegal to buy whipped cream.
And no, I'm not making it up.
https://thepostmillennial.com/nyc-decriminalizes-weed-and-makes-sales-of-whipped-cream-illegal
Correction - whipped cream is not illegal in NY state. According to the report it’s illegal for shopkeepers to sell to those under 21.

If you yourself wanted to indulge in a can of whipped cream whilst on holiday there I assume you’d be at liberty to. You may have to show age ID in view of your youthful appearance though.

Back