• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT423

In the course of work i speak to people from all over the British Isles. The calls come randomly and could come from anywhere. The second last call yesterday was from a place called Calvine in Scotland. (Nothing remarkable about that and the call was routine). Came home. FT was ready for me in its white envelope. Opened it up. Looked at the cover....

Mine's arrived today.
We're back with glossy paper for the cover: so perhaps last month was a one-off?

Mine's arrived today.
We're back with glossy paper for the cover: so perhaps last month was a one-off?
I've noticed this wasn't just the FT. Herself gets the Sunday Express (I know. But you have to expose yourself to ideas and world-views you do not agree with) and for a month or two, their Sunday magazine dropped the glossy cover, citing "supply issues" (they're back to glossy now). So that special paper that's impregnated with china clay, or whatever it is, is being held up at dover or something?

Latest has just arrived.

Cover story is the Calvine UFO
Also
The Shelley Mysteries
Rob Gandy finishes his Lincolnshire tales
Tamam Shud
Mine dropped through the letter box very late for a Saturday. I expect postie is working overtime to clear the backlog from when he was on strike.

Looking forward to the Calvine UFO write up as it has trended on a few podcasts recently.

The bit about "Father Dougal" presenting a scholarly TV show on early Irish history was interesting.I really want to see this: my exposure is limited to the fantasy artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick and the music of the Horslips....

The bit about "Father Dougal" presenting a scholarly TV show on early Irish history was interesting.I really want to see this: my exposure is limited to the fantasy artwork of Jim Fitzpatrick and the music of the Horslips....
It's genuinely fascinating, and still available on iPlayer. It's as much about the political spin placed upon it depending on the side of the border in question.

Ardhal O'Hanlon, of course. Couldn't recall the name last night. Anyway - and I'm aware ramonmercado is likely to know a thousand time more than I do about this - that one of the "foundation myths" is that Ireland was settled by refugees who incredibly escaped the Greek sack of Troy and even more incredibly managed to cross Europe, or get ships and sail round, until they found a new land to call Home. Except that Ireland was under the thrall of a race of giant primordial trolls with no table manners, called Fomorians, who held the Land in occupation. The expat Trojans had to fight for it. Jim Fitzpatrick presents a version of this myth in The Book of Conquests, except that he appears to conflate elements of several mythological cycles and presents the Fomorians as being recognisably human. And the artwork is magnificent... albeit historically suspect. But who cares... this is myth. And not just any old myth, Irish mythology!
1662299392223.png

Interesting update on the ID of the Sommerton man. I had meant to read more about this having stumbled upon it years ago but then life got in the way and it got forgotten so the update was pleasant surprise

It's genuinely fascinating, and still available on iPlayer. It's as much about the political spin placed upon it depending on the side of the border in question.
..and there have been (justifiable) complaints that I referred to Ireland in relation to 'the mainland', which has caused letters to be written, some a bit cross.

There will be a suitably-worded reply in a future issue, but it's a fair cop. "Neighbour' would have been better.

..and there have been (justifiable) complaints that I referred to Ireland in relation to 'the mainland', which has caused letters to be written, some a bit cross.

There will be a suitably-worded reply in a future issue, but it's a fair cop. "Neighbour' would have been better.

I suppose one could say "mainland UK" to refer to island of (Great) Britain in relation to Northern Ireland alone but I'm guessing your reference was to the whole island of Ireland?

It was - my terminology was largely due to a good friend who comes from Northern Ireland and always refers to this side of the sea as 'the mainland'.

Last edited:
It was - my terminology was largely due to a good friend who comes from Northern Ireland and always refers to this side of the sea as 'the mainland'.

I've never heard anyone from the Nationalist/Republican community refer to the Mainland! I know you meant no slur on anyone by using it but it does raise hackles in some quarters!

I am always confused when you denizens of those tiny little countries argue about terms. :)

? what is the mainland?

The continent of Europe. But some think it's great Britain.
Fog in Chanel: Continent cut off.
Thanks. You know, when you Europeople write about this stuff, I sometimes have great difficulty understanding the terms. For most of my life, I did not know what a tea towel was. I thought it was something to do with a mid-afternoon snack involving hot tea, as it certainly was not a dish towel.

Admittedly most things are to do with mid-afternoon snacks involving hot tea (aka Tiffins), but dish towels or dish cloths are not known to spontaneously combust.

We’re not Europeople. ;)

It’s strange that people from a country of 50 semi-devolved parts can’t understand a country consisting of 4.

iu

maximus otter

There might be a need to include a Spanish enclave on the Norfolk coast, Talks are ongoing to cede Cromer to Spain in return for them dropping their claim to Gibraltar. A win-win situation for the UK.

And then there's the added confusion of the geographical term 'British Isles'.

I prefer Lower Muckle Flugga, or Dingle East.

Ah, no problem with that, they're named after a Celtic Tribe, We need a Federation of the British Is;es with it;s capital on the Isle of Man.

We’re not Europeople. ;)

It’s strange that people from a country of 50 semi-devolved parts can’t understand a country consisting of 4.

iu

maximus otter

We are devolving; you remain deluded. Tomato, tomahto.
Seriously, do UK citizens not consider themselves European or not being part of Europe? To whom do you belong, I mean, in addition to yourselves?

Seriously, do UK citizens not consider themselves European or not being part of Europe? To whom do you belong, I mean, in addition to yourselves?

*sharp intake of breath*

This might approach That Which We Do Not Discuss rather too closely.

I personally consider the UK and Europe to be distinct, but neighbours. In much the same way in which the USA probably regards Mexico.

Why would it be necessary to "belong to someone"? The USA used to "belong to someone", I seem to remember, but exception was taken and changes implemented... :)

maximus otter

Yes, this is absolutely in danger of veering into politics.

Opinion is divided on the subject. Which is where we'll leave it.
I am very sorry - please chalk this up to my ignorance - which is accurate (plus my insomnia). I was asking in the sense of citizens of the US thinking of their country and themselves as belonging to North America. Which we do.

That this would be drifting into politics - which I detest - was not thought of nor intended. Doh.

Back