• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I can confirm that my last post here, in which I stated the time as 18.45 on my PC still matches the time that my post is time-stamped at, 6.45pm. Which is/was BST. Not UTC or GMT.
I think your time machine is malfunctioning :).

I can confirm that the post I quote, 'time stamped' as 5.24pm yesterday is now not editable at 6.18pm today (which is AFAIK 5.18 UTC/GMT)
Which is less than 24 hours ago if the 5.24pm stamp is quoted in UTC/GMT.
So now I'm confused.

(edited to add this comment at 1814 today so still within 24 hours)
The quoted post has indeed timed out exactly 24 hours later than the 'time stamp' it carries of 6.20pm (BST)

And other posts have also 'timed out' on the 24 hours mark.
Which takes me back to the post which I managed to edit roughly 29 hours after the time stamp, because we now know that (based on these ones that have timed out correctly) that the 'time stamp' that I had seen on that previous post was indeed well beyond the 24 hours when I managed to edit it.
And I assume that there hasn't been some inconsistency with the 'timing out', surely it is an automatic thing?
Not that I'm bothered. It's just curious.

Speculation: Could Trevp666 have opened the edit function within the 24 hour timeframe, but not submitted the edit until 29 hours passed? Could he have simply left a browser window open with the message visible for that time, and the edit feature remained visible?

This is a lot of attention being directed at a trivial thing, but that does fit into the Fortean mindset.

Speculation: Could Trevp666 have opened the edit function within the 24 hour timeframe, but not submitted the edit until 29 hours passed? Could he have simply left a browser window open with the message visible for that time, and the edit feature remained visible?

This is a lot of attention being directed at a trivial thing, but that does fit into the Fortean mindset.
When you edit, an autosave for drafts becomes active. Maybe that saved a draft that Trev then later submitted?

No.
I fire and forget. I never leave something open. And even if I accidentally did, it certainly wouldn't be left for 5 hours, I've got better things to do with my life than sit around on here all day.
(actually no I haven't got 'better things to do' cos I'm apparently a 'slacker' but you get the drift)

Ok, this is a really daft question. What exactly are 'profile postings' and why are they there?

We’ve all been wondering the same thing.
You all have??? All of you? Sorry to sound pedantic but all of you? All of who, exactly?

Ok, I know I am not the brightest spark in the night.

Thanks for the reply btw.

Ok, this is a really daft question. What exactly are 'profile postings' and why are they there?

Profile posts are an old feature in XenForo. The original concept was to provide users with a publicly-accessible way of posting their status or changes. Some folks think of profile posts as being analogous to the Facebook wall - you post something about yourself and others with access privileges can see what you've announced / reported / whatever.

They've been maintained as an option within XenForo over the years. Some forums rely on them; others consider them an odd and useless feature. Their relevance and usefulness varies depending on the forum's purposes, members, and "culture."

Profile posts can cause problems when users (especially newcomers) mistake them for a way to post a thread or a way to privately message one or more other members.

Profile posts are an old feature in XenForo. The original concept was to provide users with a publicly-accessible way of posting their status or changes. Some folks think of profile posts as being analogous to the Facebook wall - you post something about yourself and others with access privileges can see what you've announced / reported / whatever.

They've been maintained as an option within XenForo over the years. Some forums rely on them; others consider them an odd and useless feature. Their relevance and usefulness varies depending on the forum's purposes, members, and "culture."

Profile posts can cause problems when users (especially newcomers) mistake them for a way to post a thread or a way to privately message one or more other members.

They originally got used (here) as 'Status/mood updates':
  • 'On holiday!'
  • 'Praying for Spurs'
  • 'Wish it would rain.'
But they've moved on to become both public chat and a word-joke-association game:
  • 'On holiday!'
  • ...And drugs.'
  • 'Someone else's, no doubt.'
You are able to LIKE and reply to them directly as you can with regular posts on threads.

I post occasionally into the “What Are You Eating And Drinking“ thread,yet it never shows on my feed. When other posters respond it will advise me, but if I want to post to it I have to go into my history and open the thread from there.
I use an iPad for access to the board and know of no other thread that is hidden from me.

I post occasionally into the “What Are You Eating And Drinking“ thread,yet it never shows on my feed. When other posters respond it will advise me, but if I want to post to it I have to go into my history and open the thread from there.
I use an iPad for access to the board and know of no other thread that is hidden from me.
If it's in Chat, it won't show up in new posts, which only lists mainstream Fortean content.

It shouldn't be - if you're in the Chat forum it's (at time of writing) in the first ten threads. Can everyone else see it?

TrevP666 posted on the thread at 5.14 yesterday so it should be visible between Blitz Limericks at 5.23 and Random and Peculiar images at 4.20. But no, it’s not there. Very Fortean!

8F957F3A-5280-42B4-B79C-19BFDE6C5D83.png

Are you "Watching" that thread? If so, disable the watch status and re-enter it.

Also, check your "Ignore" settings ...

For a few days now, when I click on a post link from the Alerts drop-down, instead of going to the new post, it goes to a slightly older post a little way back (4-5 posts previously or thereabouts, I haven't actually counted), and I have to scroll down to find the newer posts on the watched thread. This happens across all my devices, both Windows and Android. Is it just me?

For a few days now, when I click on a post link from the Alerts drop-down, instead of going to the new post, it goes to a slightly older post a little way back (4-5 posts previously or thereabouts, I haven't actually counted), and I have to scroll down to find the newer posts on the watched thread. This happens across all my devices, both Windows and Android. Is it just me?

I think I know the effect you're referring to ... As far as I can tell it's a side-effect of the browser's ability to download, render, and display the entire webpage. Most of the time the display will settle on the correct / cited post if I simply wait long enough for it to finish loading.

In other instances it seems the addition of posts to the given thread after the one associated with the alert somehow throws off the rendering / display.

I think I know the effect you're referring to ... As far as I can tell it's a side-effect of the browser's ability to download, render, and display the entire webpage. Most of the time the display will settle on the correct / cited post if I simply wait long enough for it to finish loading.

In other instances it seems the addition of posts to the given thread after the one associated with the alert somehow throws off the rendering / display.
OK, I'll just wait it out... Thanks.

I've had this happen on my phone. It appears to be linked to posts with images. The browser settles on the right post, then some images load to earlier posts and it "backs up" a bit.

But the thread is invisible in Chat.
Similarly is the What Were You Doing Today thread.
It doesn’t show in my feed. And I know there is one other that I used to post in as I saw a reference to it a few weeks back but didn’t have time to post here about it missing.
This has been since they were separated into The Members section. Lost!

4747B1C1-B282-4FA5-A5DB-1546A9EE85A5.png

Back