• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
- Until you factor in the sources of most of the novel and/or tastier vegetarian ingredients - quinoa, tofu, bananas, avocados, couscous etc. - and remember that another “wing” of the Green movement wants to ban all transport other than by rail.

The full-spectrum solution (in the minds of the people driving all this pish) is for us to be reduced to eating only locally-sourced, organic produce that’s in season. Rather unappealing in the UK.

Bon appetit!

maximus otter
Excellent point. Most of the foods beloved of vegans and vegetarians are imported, and as such they have a high carbon footprint.
If we were to abandon meat altogether, that wouldn't mean all of the land used for grazing would be suitable for growing crops on (I mean, where do you normally find sheep - on hillsides with poor soil).
In fact, in the search for fertile land, large areas would have to be deforested to provide enough land that would be suitable for growing crops.
This is a complete no-no, but I'm sure some zealot would attempt to justify it.

George Monbiot has had a rant against organic meat in the Guardian. He argues that introducing livestock to our natural environment degrades the ecosystem. Well George, pretty much all human activity degrades the ecosystem, especially building sprawling new identikit housing estates on green fields to cope with a population approaching 70 million. I would much rather see sheep and cattle in the fields than bulldozers and I don't want to get too political but it seems there are those in the Green lobby who want rewinding and open borders
Amen to that!!

I think the priorities should be the amount of food that goes in the bin, the quantities thrown away by supermarkets and the vast quantities rejected at source for being wrong shape, etc. Also, look at how many fat people there are. Over eating has become a big problem spurred on by supermarkets, advertising and shit food from shit fast food outlets.

So to say the problem is cows or sheep in a field is a misnomer.

As a society, we don't need the quantities of food produced.

I think the priorities should be the amount of food that goes in the bin, the quantities thrown away by supermarkets and the vast quantities rejected at source for being wrong shape, etc. Also, look at how many fat people there are. Over eating has become a big problem spurred on by supermarkets, advertising and shit food from shit fast food outlets.

So to say the problem is cows or sheep in a field is a misnomer.

As a society, we don't need the quantities of food produced.
My very wise doctor told me to eat a piece of fruit instead of a piece of cake, and to only eat when hungry, along with walking a few miles every day. Now if I have a piece of cake, it tastes overpoweringly sweet to me.
When looking at period photos such as Woodstock, everyone was so nice and slim.

To add a complication to dietary management, I don't feel good eating foods that the people who grow them and export them to the trendy West can't afford to eat themselves. Quinoa comes to mind, although also I just don't like the stuff.

That's the way to lose your most loyal customers.
-------------

Plant-based becomes the new ‘normal’ at Burger King Austria​

Author: Molly Pickering

Read Time: 2 mins | 19th July 2022

Burger King Austria recently asked its customers if they want ‘regular or meat-based’ food as part of its ‘meat option’ campaign.

The fast-food chain is challenging customers to consider meat-free options by making its vegan Burger King options the ‘normal’ options on the menu.

Customers at the Margaretengürtel Burger King in Vienna were filmed during the trial to monitor their reactions. Throughout the video, a staff member asked several customers if they want their food “regular or meat-based”.

While some customers appear to be confused and even agitated at points, others were happy to try the vegan burger.

Moreover, the video – which has over 92,000 views – ends by asking “What’s normal anyway?”

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/plant-based-become-standard-burger-king-austria/

That's the way to lose your most loyal customers.
-------------

Plant-based becomes the new ‘normal’ at Burger King Austria​

Author: Molly Pickering

Read Time: 2 mins | 19th July 2022

Burger King Austria recently asked its customers if they want ‘regular or meat-based’ food as part of its ‘meat option’ campaign.

The fast-food chain is challenging customers to consider meat-free options by making its vegan Burger King options the ‘normal’ options on the menu.

Customers at the Margaretengürtel Burger King in Vienna were filmed during the trial to monitor their reactions. Throughout the video, a staff member asked several customers if they want their food “regular or meat-based”.

While some customers appear to be confused and even agitated at points, others were happy to try the vegan burger.

Moreover, the video – which has over 92,000 views – ends by asking “What’s normal anyway?”

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/plant-based-become-standard-burger-king-austria/

Austria is one of those countries that doesn't seem to have many vegetarians.

I think this is the problem in all forms now, not just food- we have too much choice. Do we need shops full of plastic dog toys when a tennis ball would do?
As you have said regarding food, some things were eaten less often and we appreciated them a lot more for it.
So true. when I was little our local greengrocer only had seasonal produce. you would only see some things for a brief time and it was a real treat when strawberries, cherries, plums, runner beans etc came in for a few weeks. We never saw salad items in the winter and likewise never saw parsnips, swede, brussels and so on in the summer. Is it really necessary nowadays to have strawberries etc. flown in all year around?

If something says it's 'Vegan Friendly' - note BBC quotes - does it mean it is actually vegan?

I mean, I'm friendly with a vegan but I'd happily eat stuff made of minced pig's trotters. Indeed, since I eat pork sausages, I probably already have.

I've had friends who were vegan... but their attempts to 'turn' me have made me 'vegan-unfriendly'.

If something says it's 'Vegan Friendly' - note BBC quotes - does it mean it is actually vegan?

I mean, I'm friendly with a vegan but I'd happily eat stuff made of minced pig's trotters. Indeed, since I eat pork sausages, I probably already have.
I was listening to Grace Dent on a podcast the other day. Apparently she is "mostly Vegan". However, she chose shin of beef ragu as her fantasy restaurant dish and stated that she will eat meat "when it is put in front of her" for work. Well, she is a judge on Masterchef and a Guardian restaurant critic, so i would say she eats quite a lot of meat:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...tre-pacing-exquisite-detail-restaurant-review

Here she is eating cod roe, langoustine and lamb... hmmm, 'mostly vegan'...?

Seems to be an awful lot of virtue signalling going-on amongst the metropolitan chattering classes. Meanwhile, both searches for 'vegan" and the growth in fake meat sales have declined significantly:

https://www.chefspencil.com/veganism-popularity-report-2022/

(caveat: as I ever I support vegetarianism for those who are so)

I was listening to Grace Dent on a podcast the other day. Apparently she is "mostly Vegan". However, she chose shin of beef ragu as her fantasy restaurant dish and stated that she will eat meat "when it is put in front of her" for work. Well, she is a judge on Masterchef and a Guardian restaurant critic, so i would say she eats quite a lot of meat:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...tre-pacing-exquisite-detail-restaurant-review

Seems to be an awful lot of virtue signalling going-on amongst the metropolitan chattering classes. Meanwhile, both searches for 'vegan" and the growth in fake meat sales have declined significantly:

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos by/about Katie Hargreaves, a wildlife artist. She describes herself as vegan, yet has no compunction about going deerstalking, and eating her "take".

Sample (includes the killing of an animal, obvs):

This confuses me. Is she against the consumption of meat, unless she's harvested it herself; and, if so, is there a subdivision of veggieness (like "pescatarian" / "lacto/ovo") that covers this?

I wholeheartedly support her shooting deer, but adding herself to the numbers claimed as "vegan" seems to add unwarranted legitimacy to the "cause".

maximus otter

See, I'm 'mostly vegan', as more than half of my food intake is vegan. Can I have my virtue points now?

Also, who is eating all these eggs if so many people have gone vegan:

"Overall per capita consumption has grown from 171 eggs per person per year to 202 eggs per person per year from 2004 to 2021"

data
I've watched a couple of YouTube videos by/about Katie Hargreaves, a wildlife artist. She describes herself as vegan, yet has no compunction about going deerstalking, and eating her "take".

Sample (includes the killing of an animal, obvs):

This confuses me. Is she against the consumption of meat, unless she's harvested it herself; and, if so, is there a subdivision of veggieness (like "pescatarian" / "lacto/ovo") that covers this?

I wholeheartedly support her shooting deer, but adding herself to the numbers claimed as "vegan" seems to add unwarranted legitimacy to the "cause".

maximus otter
Cannot agree enough, it is just more virtue-signalling (Sorry Katie, but you are not a vegan if you are shooting and eating deer, you are some sort of gameitarian )

I would much rather eat game than any low-welfare farmed meat, but availability is always a problem. When I lived on Dartmoor I used to have rabbits and venison delivered to my door the same they they were shot, but I can't get that where I live now. So instead I always but the highest welfare meat and poultry available. I'm not wealthy but I love cooking and so I cut back in other areas.

Given the extremely high dropout rate for veganism (around 99% after 12 months*) then I suspect interest will continue to dwindle. There also seems to be a three-year mark where the body can no longer tolerate the restrictive vegan diet:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-EVERETT-quit-meat-products-thought-help.html

https://eatwithclarity.com/transitioned-away-from-vegan/

(*https://inews.co.uk/news/environment/veganuary-2021-vegan-diet-most-people-dont-keep-up-834085)

There will always be a hardcore in the UK of about half a million (population 67 million) but claims of two or three million vegans are fantasy

Last edited:
Another example of the chattering class virtue signalling was a R4 documentary that interviewed diners at a vegan cafe. One lady proudly announced she was "transitioning to being vegan". I mean, wtf, if it is such a wonderful, healthy diet then such stop eating meat, poultry, eggs et al. I suspect it was her 'get-out clause' for when she fancied a steak...

Another example of the chattering class virtue signalling was a R4 documentary that interviewed diners at a vegan cafe. One lady proudly announced she was "transitioning to being vegan". I mean, wtf, if it is such a wonderful, healthy diet then such stop eating meat, poultry, eggs et al. I suspect it was her 'get-out clause' for when she fancied a steak...

Slowly changing your diet doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

We should eat people, they are easy to catch and loads of them are fucking massive.

I sent this off in the wrong direction because of my jokey comment re sausages.

I was asking seriously, what can 'vegan friendly' on a foodstuff possibly mean? I quote from a packet in front of me:

"Still as irresistible and now VEGAN FRIENDLY, for even more, people to enjoy"

Commas as written. On the original its written in all caps, but with 'Vegan Friendly' in a much larger font and bolder colour.

What can this possibly mean? If its vegan, why not just say vegan? is Lactic Acid vegan? It's on the list of ingredients. I thought that came from milk.

It's ethically great to be vegan
But it takes so much work to get it right, healthwise.

We simply were not designed to eat masses of beans and seeds and brown rice etc.

There has to be even more improvement in vegan supplements before I would try it again.
The first time I lost too much muscle, did not have enough nutrients.

Bought some Heck chipolatas yesterday. Very good. (They also do non-vegan products as well).

Back