• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs In The Sky (IHTM)

Neil Armstrong

Junior Acolyte
Hi.

I think I started in the wrong place and ended up going off topic, so I will start again.

I have always been interested in ufology even when I was a child and more so as I got older and have experienced events that were hard to explain as Earthly,
I have had a few sightings, some that I wont talk about.

The thing that made me start looking for a UFO forum now is that a few nights ago I saw odd behaviour in the skies two nights in a row so I thought it was time to look for a forum that was not available years ago during my first sighting.

To go back to my first sighting that took place back in c1982.

I was sitting in my car on the cliffs with my then girlfriend when I saw several lights in the sky above, they were doing what is now called ping pong flight, it was quite eerie, when I pointed to it to my girlfriend she went hysterical screaming and trying to get down under the dashboard shouting to me but not making a lot of sense, but she instinctively new this was not something normal, as I did.

When I saw it I knew this could not be anything normal, it travelled at a very high velocity, much faster than an aeroplane, then at this enormous speed it would stop dead and alter direction all in one go, I knew this was not within normal flight characteristics, I thought at the time that it looked like something like a ball bouncing off of a wall, it was doing this in triangular patterns.

... it was doing this in triangular patterns.

I'm curious about this "triangular patterns" bit ... Do you mean individual lights were exhibiting this ping-pong / ricochet movement following a triangular path / trajectory?

If so - I don't recall any sighting or incident involving this sort of closed-path movement.

Also:

- Can you give an estimate of how many of these lights were visible at one time?
- Were all the lights moving in the same way all the time?

When I said they were changing course in triangles, perhaps I should have been more precise, they were changing direction in impossible acute, reflex, obtuse angles and full rotation, at a constant speed, not just in a gentle curve that you normally see when watching an ordinary aeroplane of any kind, our aeroplanes are not capable of such speeds or manoeuvres.

The speed and change of direction was so fast that human occupants would not have survived, it had the affect of stopping instantly and changing direction as above, I watched this for several minutes, I used to fly aeroplanes about that time and understood flight characteristics and limitations of an aeroplane, this is what stood out so much with what it was doing and the fact that my girlfriend was so hysterical, she could obviously see the same thing as I could see, she was clearly very frightened.

I saw about 5 or 6 at any one time, only one of them was darting across the sky, pretty much within the radius of the more stationary ones.

I hadn’t given it a thought at the time until I realised that many of these sightings were at or near an area of defence of some kind or connection.

The sightings I describe were over a Naval military base where British ships, an aircraft carrier and the submarine HMS Conqueror were kept and being fitted out at the time.

The time of the sightings were when Argentina started a war against the United Kingdom over the Falkland Islands c1982

The sightings I describe were over a Naval military base
So would you say these were objects in the sky that emitted a light, or could they have been lights that were being projected up onto the clouds from below, like searchlights or laser beams?
I mean, TBH, any activity over, or close to, any military base of any sort, has to be tempered with the likelihood that there is some sort of 'defence' significance behind it, and that the most likely explanation is going to be something fairly mundane and/or prosaic.

Okay..., it doesn't bother me if you don't believe me.
I don't think he's saying that, at all - if people say they saw something we tend to accept that they saw something: however, we do as a matter of course delve into the sighting and examine possibilities. As you yourself define them.as unidentified, any and all possible explanations have to be considered.

I've got an open mind on these things. The sceptic in me, though, tends to want to rule out any straightforward explanations for unexplainable phenomena before accepting 'at face value' what might be considered unlikely reasons for same.
It really isn't about whether or not I 'believe you' (BTW I do believe you saw something you couldn't explain) but we need to investigate whether there are plausible reasons to explain what you saw and how they came about.

Apparently moving in triangles is a fairly common symptom of autokinesis.
slide_37.jpg

I hadn’t given it a thought at the time until I realised that many of these sightings were at or near an area of defence of some kind or connection.

The sightings I describe were over a Naval military base where British ships, an aircraft carrier and the submarine HMS Conqueror were kept and being fitted out at the time.

The time of the sightings were when Argentina started a war against the United Kingdom over the Falkland Islands c1982
Faslane in Scotland I believe:

I corrected 'triangles ' and gave a full account, so why bring this up?
Thanks!
Indeed, you expanded on your account usefully. To quote:
When I said they were changing course in triangles, perhaps I should have been more precise, they were changing direction in impossible acute, reflex, obtuse angles and full rotation, at a constant speed, not just in a gentle curve that you normally see when watching an ordinary aeroplane of any kind, our aeroplanes are not capable of such speeds or manoeuvres.
These movements are still reasonably consistent with the autokinetic effect. 'Changing direction in impossible acute, reflex and obtuse angles' is in fact a better description of the movements associated with autokinesis than 'moving in triangles'.

Last edited:
So would you say these were objects in the sky that emitted a light, or could they have been lights that were being projected up onto the clouds from below, like searchlights or laser beams?
I mean, TBH, any activity over, or close to, any military base of any sort, has to be tempered with the likelihood that there is some sort of 'defence' significance behind it, and that the most likely explanation is going to be something fairly mundane and/or prosaic.
No they were not "lights being projected up onto the clouds from below, like searchlights or laser beams" they were lights moving fast across the night sky some considerable distance, not an autokinetic effect of a stationary light.

Last edited:
When one says you believe in UFOs, one becomes a dart board with the world throwing darts at you.

The long history of much respected police, military, pilots, and average citizens reporting UFOs mean that UFOs are real but we don’t know what they are.

I personally go the inter- dimensional route.

When one sees ping pongs, spheres, tic-tacs, our reality is being disrupted.

Chris Mellon’s position is no government has this technology.

I have taken a screen shot of Google Earth where I was sitting in my car to the left of the black bin looking in the direction of Plymouth and the Naval base with my girlfriend on the night in question, 1982.

I have put 5 white dots on the picture in about the right place to represent the lights we saw that were quite far apart from each other, the one in the middle was doing most of the ping pong flight I have mentioned, it would also just stop for several seconds and then moved so fast it appeared to just be somewhere else, I was watching them for a few minutes, then they just all went.

NB there is a little ‘arrow cursor’ in the picture that has nothing to do with what I am explaining, I forgot to move it when I took the screen shot, hope this helps.

Attachments

• UFO's 1982 - 50%.JPG
    UFO's 1982 - 50%.JPG
    871.4 KB · Views: 28
When one says you believe in UFOs, one becomes a dart board with the world throwing darts at you.

The long history of much respected police, military, pilots, and average citizens reporting UFOs mean that UFOs are real but we don’t know what they are.
Oh Buddha...

Once again, we all agree that things are seen in the sky that we can't account for. The disagreements, such as they are, arise when a single, unproven hypothesis is immediately leapt to as the definitive answer before all other possibilities have been considered.

Well,

Back in 1982 I don’t think there were any drones, so I would say you saw something unusual.

UFOs love anything military like your Plymouth ( I live in a fairly rural U.S. area ).

I once saw something like this in the early 1980s and my retired military neighbor who also saw the same said he was not interested because he said it most likely belonged to the U.S. and went inside his house.

I once saw something like this in the early 1980s and my retired military neighbor who also saw the same said he was not interested because he said it most likely belonged to the U.S. and went inside his house.
Did you accept his opinion, or did you feel there was more to it?

No they were not "lights being projected up onto the clouds from below, like searchlights or laser beams" they were lights moving fast across the night sky some considerable distance, not an autokinetic effect of a stationary light.
Sorry if you've mentioned this already and I've missed it. I did have a quick re read of your posts.

What was the weather like at the time?

I have taken a screen shot of Google Earth where I was sitting in my car to the left of the black bin looking in the direction of Plymouth and the Naval base with my girlfriend on the night in question, 1982.

I have put 5 white dots on the picture in about the right place to represent the lights we saw that were quite far apart from each other, the one in the middle was doing most of the ping pong flight I have mentioned, it would also just stop for several seconds and then moved so fast it appeared to just be somewhere else, I was watching them for a few minutes, then they just all went.

NB there is a little ‘arrow cursor’ in the picture that has nothing to do with what I am explaining, I forgot to move it when I took the screen shot, hope this helps.
Plymouth and the Devonport area are well-populated area with major arterial route passing through, ferries and other shipping, people engaged in sea fishing from the shore at all times of the day and night etc. So, have you ever searched the local media to see if anyone else reported anything?

Back