• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dunwich, Suffolk 2022: Black-Clothed Man Ghost?

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
A new entry from the excellent UK Paranormal database:

"A man in black wearing a hood, spotted while a witness parked a work van, moved behind a static lodge caravan close to the wedge of the cliffs and vanished. An immediate search of the area began and lasted for thirty minutes but no person could be found."

Full details at:

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

"A man in black wearing a hood, spotted while a witness parked a work van, moved behind a static lodge caravan close to the wedge of the cliffs and vanished. An immediate search of the area began and lasted for thirty minutes but no person could be found."

Full details at:

More about Haunted Dunwich:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/weird-suffolk-dunwich-beach-sailor-ghost-6902672

And:

"The seaside village of Dunwich often leaves visitors feeling spooked, as many report hearing church bells ringing from beneath the sea.
Some also say they have spotted ghostly sailors on the beach, supposedly searching for their loved ones."

https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/ipswich/news/6-haunted-sites-in-and-around-suffolk-9209779/

Ant FTMB members local to this area...?

I visited Dunwich back in the 70s, with my family. I'd heard all about the Dunwich stories and about it falling into the sea.
We didn't get to see very much, but there was a map that showed where it had been, relative to how it was when we visited.
Not a good place to buy cliffside property.
There was a muted dullness or depression to the place, IIRC.

There was a muted dullness or depression to the place, IIRC.
That is very well expressed, Mytho. I visited Dunwich with a friend in the late 1990s and we both felt that the place felt odd and strangely 'flat'. Nothing either of us could put our fingers on, just an atmosphere thing. Perhaps knowing about its remarkable history makes it feel a bit weird.

Full details at:

I would suspect that any man dressed in black with his hood up, didn't want to be found, for reasons of his own.

Mrs DT and I are spending the weekend in nearby Walbeswick soon. I’ve booked a room for 2 nights in a tiny hotel opposite the foot ferry, which is allegedly haunted by the ghost of a man who holds the hand of a small boy. Many people have seen them apparently.

The foot ferry is literally a man (who for just a couple of quid) will row you over the river to the resort of Southwold in his small boat.

Once a passenger mentioned to the rower that he has forgotten about the man and his young son. “They never cross” said the rower under his breath.

It’ll be interesting to see what the locals think about this tale.

My father's boss had property in Dunwich and we would stay twice a year off-season in Nov and Feb from 1963 onwards. In them days the only person you'd meet in the street would be a local. When I went in summer 1978, after the undersea exploration of the old town lead to a boom in popularity, there were hundreds of people at the beach and cafe and that was the last time we returned on a regular basis.
However before that I used to go night-fishing : down-beach was always empty of tilley-lamps and I soon found a bank of stones (rubble ?) about 60 metres offshore where I lost a lot of tackle. Also had an unnerving feeling every time I caught the cliffs behind me out of the corner of my eye. It was like an oppression and that unease was there even in daytime. Never heard any underwater bells - the church bells were all removed (obviously) before the buildings went over the cliff.
One night (~1976) when we were on the beach, my older brother decided to return the 800 metres to the cottage with our labrador to get some spare tackle. On the way back as he was passing St. James Church he heard 'a sound' and simultaneously both he and the dog jerked their heads up at the illuminated clock tower and then bolted. First time I'd seen my brother genuinely white-faced when he got back to me.

The church bells ringing underwater motif is quite common with dorwned villages. i used to hear the same about Mablethorpe St Peter which vanished under the waves in the 13thC I think. I have heard of it too with some of the places that were drowned under reservoirs. I also saw an Italian supernatural series, the name of which escapes me, where the same motif happened with a church that was underwater. Only in the tv show, the bell did ring and deadly doppelgangers of local townsfolk emerged out of the water to try to take the place of their lookielikeys...

Mrs DT and I are spending the weekend in nearby Walbeswick soon. I’ve booked a room for 2 nights in a tiny hotel opposite the foot ferry, which is allegedly haunted by the ghost of a man who holds the hand of a small boy. Many people have seen them apparently.

The foot ferry is literally a man (who for just a couple of quid) will row you over the river to the resort of Southwold in his small boat.

Once a passenger mentioned to the rower that he has forgotten about the man and his young son. “They never cross” said the rower under his breath.

Great one :)

Well I'm currently sitting at the bar of the Bell in Walbeswick, after coming back from a very long walk. The route we took meant that we took the foot ferry across to the other side of the river, and I asked the rower about the ghostly man and boy tale. She said that although she'd been the oarsman ( or oars- woman in this case) for 22 years she'd never seen them, but her father had done the job before her and he'd seen them twice. It's an interesting story I think. The Bell is heaving this afternoon, and very noisy, but when things quiten down a bit' I'll question the bar staff.

Well I'm currently sitting at the bar of the Bell in Walbeswick, after coming back from a very long walk. The route we took meant that we took the foot ferry across to the other side of the river, and I asked the rower about the ghostly man and boy tale. She said that although she'd been the oarsman ( or oars- woman in this case) for 22 years she'd never seen them, but her father had done the job before her and he'd seen them twice. It's an interesting story I think. The Bell is heaving this afternoon, and very noisy, but when things quiten down a bit' I'll question the bar staff.
Coincidentally, a FB friend of mine posted a picture of his kids in an establishment in Walbeswick today! You may have seen them.

I visited Dunwich with a friend in the late 1990s and we both felt that the place felt odd and strangely 'flat'.
"Strangely flat" is a good way to describe the atmosphere of Brussels when I was there in the 1980s. I ascribed it to a lingering sense of trauma from WWII. A sense of emptiness and an odd lack of vitality.

"Strangely flat" is a good way to describe the atmosphere of Brussels when I was there in the 1980s. I ascribed it to a lingering sense of trauma from WWII. A sense of emptiness and an odd lack of vitality.
Or the trauma of having a sprout named after you....

Back