• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bought some Heck chipolatas yesterday. Very good. (They also do non-vegan products as well).
Ingredients: Water, Textured Pea Protein (10%), Functional Binder (Pea Protein, Potato Starch, Flavourings, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Psyllium, Pea Fibre, Yeast Extract, Spices, Colour (Betanin), Herb, Salt, Rapeseed Oil, Fruit Juice Concentrate (Hibiscus, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Black Carrot Juice Powder, Peach Juice Powder, Orange Juice Powder)), Gluten Free Crumb (Rice Flour, Water, Dextrose Monohydrate, Vegetable Fibre), Coconut Oil, Grilled White Onion, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower Oil, Rapeseed Oil), Citrus Fibre, Parsley, Preservative (Sodium SULPHITE**), Natural Flavouring. Filled into Calcium Alginate Casing.

https://www.heckfood.co.uk/pages/meat-free-chipolatas

Heavily processed with hidden oils such as rapeseed oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil.

As for pea protein:

“However, consuming industrially isolated proteins from chemical-laden, GMO soybeans or peas as a staple food is completely unnatural and poses many health risks.”

https://understandingag.com/artific...e-hidden-dangers-of-processed-plant-proteins/

Last edited:
Wonder why they're called 'Heck'?
'Oh heck, not those again', etc.

Well it’s equality of a sort isn’t it? Vegans can now eat all sorts of heavily processed shit the same as you omnivores have been able to for years. The food industry must be delighted.

Heavily processed with hidden oils such as rapeseed oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil.
Rapeseed oil is not so bad, low Omega 6 oils, low saturated fats, sunflower really high Omega6, I avoid personally, and coconut oil is also low in Omega6 oils, but high in saturated fats and is an effective laxative and can cause bowel problems...
As for pea protein:

“However, consuming industrially isolated proteins from chemical-laden, GMO soybeans or peas as a staple food is completely unnatural and poses many health risks.”

https://understandingag.com/artific...e-hidden-dangers-of-processed-plant-proteins/
I am mildly intolerant of peas (which is a pain as I love marrowfat peas) and oddly cashews. I keep the peas (....go on, you know you want to...) to a serving a week max.

Last edited:
This isn't going to be a fun post to read so please skip this if you've had a bad day. I killed a seagull today.

I was sitting outside the church when a couple of girls started flagging down cars. It turned out a large seagull had just been hit by a car then some older women brought it over wrapped in a towel still alive .. upsetting but the RSPB don't care about seagulls as I told her and I didn't want it to suffer any more so I told her that .. she told me "I'm a vegetarian!" .. " "Sorry .. I can take it round the back of the church so nobody sees? .. otherwise a fox or the rats will get it" .. she said "Thank you .. if you want to?" .. "I don't want to, it's just kinder." .. not a highlight of my day, I tucked a couple of flowers from the church garden into it's towel, said a quick lord's prayer because I left it in church grounds then went home.

(and if that doesn't cheer you all up, nothing will)

This isn't going to be a fun post to read so please skip this if you've had a bad day. I killed a seagull today.

I was sitting outside the church when a couple of girls started flagging down cars. It turned out a large seagull had just been hit by a car then some older women brought it over wrapped in a towel still alive .. upsetting but the RSPB don't care about seagulls as I told her and I didn't want it to suffer any more so I told her that .. she told me "I'm a vegetarian!" .. " "Sorry .. I can take it round the back of the church so nobody sees? .. otherwise a fox or the rats will get it" .. she said "Thank you .. if you want to?" .. "I don't want to, it's just kinder." .. not a highlight of my day, I tucked a couple of flowers from the church garden into it's towel, said a quick lord's prayer because I left it in church grounds then went home.

(and if that doesn't cheer you all up, nothing will)

Hmm. Not quite sure about the “RSPB don’t care about seagulls” bit. They actually have specific advice on their website recommending places to take injured seagulls people might find.

The correct thing to do would have been (quote) “Injured gulls are best reported to welfare organisations such as the RSPCA/ SSPCA/ USPCA or taken to a wildlife hospital or a local vet.”

Hmm. Not quite sure about the “RSPB don’t care about seagulls” bit. They actually have specific advice on their website recommending places to take injured seagulls people might find.

The correct thing to do would have been (quote) “Injured gulls are best reported to welfare organisations such as the RSPCA/ SSPCA/ USPCA or taken to a wildlife hospital or a local vet.”
The fucker was chain stoking and its body was 2 thirds left Amergrin but thanks for the advice. It was beyond help.

Last edited:
Ingredients: Water, Textured Pea Protein (10%), Functional Binder (Pea Protein, Potato Starch, Flavourings, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Psyllium, Pea Fibre, Yeast Extract, Spices, Colour (Betanin), Herb, Salt, Rapeseed Oil, Fruit Juice Concentrate (Hibiscus, Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Black Carrot Juice Powder, Peach Juice Powder, Orange Juice Powder)), Gluten Free Crumb (Rice Flour, Water, Dextrose Monohydrate, Vegetable Fibre), Coconut Oil, Grilled White Onion, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower Oil, Rapeseed Oil), Citrus Fibre, Parsley, Preservative (Sodium SULPHITE**), Natural Flavouring. Filled into Calcium Alginate Casing.

https://www.heckfood.co.uk/pages/meat-free-chipolatas

As for pea protein:

Well young Paul, just a few points;

Firstly, I have many times stated that I don't believe that vegan meat or cheese etc is any better for you than 'proper' good quality meat- the sort Max keeps in his freezer for example.

However, this product has only 1.1g of fat per 100g and 0.3 saturated fat, compared with an average cheese that has around 35g fat per 100g and 22g saturated (and I eat a lot of cheese).

Oils: I probably put more oil on a salad than the amount that is in this product. In fact, I bet I get through more olive oil in a week than you do in a year.

As for 'hiding' ingredients - they haven't done a very good job, as it clearly states what's in there. If it contained lead or arsenic and they hadn't stated this on the packaging, I'd agree with you.

Also, I don't have an issue with you saying that this is 'unheathy' food (although I don't really agree that's it's going to kill me any time soon- there's plenty of other things I do that will probably do that) but don't say that it is just because it's a vegan product. Take a look at the ingredients in their non vegan products as well.

As for pea protein, it's not something I've ever looked up, but I'll guarantee you that for every article you can show me that says how bad it is for me, they'll be another saying how wonderful it is.

By the way- I am not vegan.

Vets are, as I understand, it obliged to treat injured wild animals brought to them, and to euthanise them if that's all that can be done.

Rapeseed oil is not so bad, low Omega 6 oils, low saturated fats, sunflower really high Omega6, I avoid personally, and coconut oil is also low in Omega6 oils, but high in saturated fats and is an effective laxative and can cause bowel problems...

I am mildly intolerant of peas (which is a pain as I love marrowfat peas) and oddly cashews. I keep the peas (....go on, you know you want to...) to a serving a week max.
Regards your intolerance for cashews, if I recall correctly they are - like peanuts - technically a legume (i.e. a bean). This is why - unlike many nuts - they are reasonably safe for dogs to eat. So you might have a 'bean' intolerance.

To avoid killing animals for food is a merit.
Yes although certainly better to kill them humanely at least. I haven't got a problem with Max's way- clean, quick and no suffering.

Reminds me- some scum here was recently in the paper for giving cattle electric shocks 'for a laugh'. I intend to introduce him to Mr. Bat and some cheesewire if I see him around- if MrsF doesn't get to him first.

I'll gladly take a few months in chokey for it.

Ah, but if you complain about the use of 'shock collars' to train dogs, you get ignored.

Ah, but if you complain about the use of 'shock collars' to train dogs, you get ignored.
I don't know if these are actually painful to a dog or are they are just a remotely triggered 'sharp pull on the lead' type of thing. Anyone else know?

trainn.jpg

maximus otter

For goodness sake, you wasn't asking her to eat it!
To be fair to her, she didn't do anything wrong in my eyes and didn't give me any crap when I gently offered to end it's suffering instead. She's a vegetarian, I'm not but she agreed with my plan and then she said "Thank you. I'm a vegetarian. Please throw the towel away afterwards. Do you want me to leave it's head uncovered?." .. "No. I don't want it to know what's going to happen." ..

On a more cheerful note, my mate accidently caught two more on his fishing line on the pier a couple of months ago and we were able to carefully reel them in and release them without causing them any injuries at all .. that was a three person job again involving a towel and him cutting his line so they couldn't injure their wings and then they flew off. That was a nicer day.

To be fair to her, she didn't do anything wrong in my eyes and didn't give me any crap when I gently offered to end it's suffering instead. She's a vegetarian, I'm not but she agreed with my plan and then she said "Thank you. I'm a vegetarian. Please throw the towel away afterwards. Do you want me to leave it's head uncovered?." .. "No. I don't want it to know what's going to happen." ..

On a more cheerful note, my mate accidently caught two more on his fishing line on the pier a couple of months ago and we were able to carefully reel them in and release them without causing them any injuries at all .. that was a three person job again involving a towel and him cutting his line so they couldn't injure their wings and then they flew off. That was a nicer day.
Well that went better for you than the day I found a buzzard (that's a UK buzzard - Buteo buteo) tangled in barbed wire in the middle of nowhere - had to hike half a mile to get a mobile signal, call some wildlife rescue place, wait for them to turn up an hour or so later, hike back up with the guy and help him free the poor bird, which got carted off in a catbox. I called up the next day to see what had happened, and they had put it down because the wire was so tangled around one wing that it would never fly again.

I don't know if these are actually painful to a dog or are they are just a remotely triggered 'sharp pull on the lead' type of thing. Anyone else know?
I recall someone challenging their MP - who voted against banning their use - to put one around his own bicep and see if the 'pain level' is acceptable.
He refused, stating "it's not ethical to use such devices on humans".

" - So I'm happy to let an animal die a lingering death. Or hand the job off to someone else, just so long as it's not on my conscience."

Animal lover, there.

maximus otter
Most people in this country claim to be animal lovers yet they eat meat including most vets. Surely that is a contradiction?

I agree though, 'just so long as it's not on my conscience'. If you want to eat it, kill it yourself.

Most people in this country claim to be animal lovers yet they eat meat including most vets. Surely that is a contradiction?

l don’t see it that way. We have “eating” plants, we have “nuisance” plants and we have “looking-at” plants. lt’s the same for animals (and a bonus when an animal is both a nuisance and an “eater”, e.g. muntjac.)

maximus otter

Well young Paul, just a few points;

Firstly, I have many times stated that I don't believe that vegan meat or cheese etc is any better for you than 'proper' good quality meat- the sort Max keeps in his freezer for example.

However, this product has only 1.1g of fat per 100g and 0.3 saturated fat, compared with an average cheese that has around 35g fat per 100g and 22g saturated (and I eat a lot of cheese).

Oils: I probably put more oil on a salad than the amount that is in this product. In fact, I bet I get through more olive oil in a week than you do in a year.

As for 'hiding' ingredients - they haven't done a very good job, as it clearly states what's in there. If it contained lead or arsenic and they hadn't stated this on the packaging, I'd agree with you.

Also, I don't have an issue with you saying that this is 'unheathy' food (although I don't really agree that's it's going to kill me any time soon- there's plenty of other things I do that will probably do that) but don't say that it is just because it's a vegan product. Take a look at the ingredients in their non vegan products as well.

As for pea protein, it's not something I've ever looked up, but I'll guarantee you that for every article you can show me that says how bad it is for me, they'll be another saying how wonderful it is.

By the way- I am not vegan.
Well I repeat your opinion

Personally I avoid processed food full stop (other than bread). They are stripped off their nutrients during the processing and adding them back in at a later stage just isn't the same. Instead, I cook from scratch and but meat once or twice a week to make a casserole or similar. It can be time consuming but I enjoy it. never eat ready meals or takeaways other than the occasional Cornish pasty or fish and chips if I'm away from home.If I could tolerate dairy I would eat more cheese and less meat but unfortunately it upsets my stomach.

As regards vegans, I just don't get what is so wrong about eggs. Yes, battery chickens are cruel and should be banned. However, organic free-range eggs are available from all supermarkets and I have visited an organic farm and seen how these chickens live contented lives foraging and dust bathing outdoors during the day. Much better welfare and longer, safer lives than wild birds. Eggs are cheap, nutritious and incredibly versatile.

I have heard that some farms will euthanise day-old male chicks and I would like to see this banned, but then if you have seen the small mammals that get shredded by a combine harvester producing grains for human consumption then you realise whatever we eat will adversely impact animals in some manner.

l don’t see it that way. We have “eating” plants, we have “nuisance” plants and we have “looking-at” plants. lt’s the same for animals (and a bonus when an animal is both a nuisance and an “eater”, e.g. muntjac.)

maximus otter
Agreed. This argument also falls down when you look at the symbiotic relationship between apex predator sharks and pilot fish

Back