• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Pony and trap = crap, as in "I need to have a pony and trap."

I am not sure whether this third category is genuine, or a sort of made up spin off of the real thing.

I have never heard anyone say they are off for a pony.

My experience of the word is that it is used as "Crap" in a derogatory sense i.e. "That film was a load of pony", rather than being used to refer to going to the toilet.

US could face another beer shortage after extinct Mississippi volcano contaminated the country's largest CO2 reserve

The extinct volcano, the Jackson Dome, has since 1977 provided carbon dioxide to the food industry, among others.

Yet in recent months the supply has become contaminated due to raw gas from a mine seeping in, meaning it cannot be used in food.

As a result, the beer industry is facing another shortage.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tinct-volcano-providing-CO2-contaminated.html

maximus otter

US could face another beer shortage after extinct Mississippi volcano contaminated the country's largest CO2 reserve

The extinct volcano, the Jackson Dome, has since 1977 provided carbon dioxide to the food industry, among others.

Yet in recent months the supply has become contaminated due to raw gas from a mine seeping in, meaning it cannot be used in food.

As a result, the beer industry is facing another shortage.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tinct-volcano-providing-CO2-contaminated.html

maximus otter
Maybe they should start selling non-fizzy beer.

Alternatively, maybe the US beer industry is the answer to climate change - they perfect a way of extracting CO2 from the atmosphere and save the planet!

I hate it when people get their rhyming slang wrong and replace the rhyming part with the actual word.
EG
Apples and stairs.
Dog and Phone
Hampstead teeth.
I think that's brilliant if done intentionally - I try to wind people up on the apple and bone with NATO phonetic alphabet spelling:
K for Knife, G for Gnome etc. Favourite is E for Eye (or should that be E-for-lution as in the Cockernee alphabet ?).

I think that's brilliant if done intentionally - I try to wind people up on the apple and bone with NATO phonetic alphabet spelling:
K for Knife, G for Gnome etc. Favourite is E for Eye (or should that be E-for-lution as in the Cockernee alphabet ?).
I once worked with a veteran who got very annoyed when anyone used an "X as in Y" that wasn't in the NATO alphabet. I made him a special list that IIRC included things like
A as in Ate
C as in Cue
E as in Eight
H as in Hour
S as in See

Also I assume to be modern Cockney slang, such as I'm going for an Ertha Kitt or it's all gone Pete Tong. These obviously are modern and a lot of people know them.

Woman spends three days in hospital after dog pooed on her face while she slept

A woman was hospitalised for three days after her beloved pet pooch did a s***e on her face while she slept.

Amanda Gommo, from Bristol, was enjoying one of those proper good afternoon naps - you know, the ones where you're out for the count and your mouth is wide open - and her chihuahua, Belle, decided to join her.

But as the 51-year-old was snoozing, little Belle came down with the squits and a violent burst of diarrhoea stirred Amanda from her slumber - in the worst possible way.

https://www.ladbible.com/community/dog-poo-face-woman-hospitalised-20220926

maximus otter

Woman spends three days in hospital after dog pooed on her face while she slept

A woman was hospitalised for three days after her beloved pet pooch did a s***e on her face while she slept.

Amanda Gommo, from Bristol, was enjoying one of those proper good afternoon naps - you know, the ones where you're out for the count and your mouth is wide open - and her chihuahua, Belle, decided to join her.

But as the 51-year-old was snoozing, little Belle came down with the squits and a violent burst of diarrhoea stirred Amanda from her slumber - in the worst possible way.

https://www.ladbible.com/community/dog-poo-face-woman-hospitalised-20220926

maximus otter
!!! I refuse to "like" this, MO. I'm sure you understand.

Key takeaways for me: 1. It was a chihuahua. 2. Dog did not apologize. 3. ...

But, dog knows.....
1664276255966.png

Bruce Willis admitted that he was suffering from Aphasia, way back in March this year, and it had been pretty much an 'open secret' for a few years in the industry, with his lines being fed to him through an earpiece, and an ever increasing dependence on 'body doubles' and 'stand-ins', and parts were written with less and less dialogue wherever possible.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we hear less and less about him now.

Bruce Willis admitted that he was suffering from Aphasia, way back in March this year, and it had been pretty much an 'open secret' for a few years in the industry, with his lines being fed to him through an earpiece, and an ever increasing dependence on 'body doubles' and 'stand-ins', and parts were written with less and less dialogue wherever possible.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we hear less and less about him now.
He is now officially retired, so we will hear less about him. He'll probably get on with leading a quiet life.

There's more than a little dark humour about this...

Czech crowdfunding buys 'Tomas the tank' for Ukraine​

A Czech crowdfunding campaign has successfully raised more than $1.30m (£1.17m) to buy a modernised tank for the Ukrainian army.
Dubbed "a gift for Putin", the campaign received donations from 11,288 individual donors, and organisers say it is the first purchase of its kind.
The modernised Soviet-era T-72 tank named Tomas will be sent to Ukraine.
The fund was backed by the Czech defence ministry and Ukraine's embassy in Prague.
In a message posted to Twitter, the Czech Defence Minister Jana Cernochova joked that contributors had bought Russian President Vladimir Putin - who marks his 70th birthday on 7 October - "a proper present".
Via BBC News

CNN burying a story of international import today?

It may have something to do with which version of the CNN global sites you're visiting.

The story is somewhat buried under the Travel and / or Business sections of CNN's main (North American) website:
China’s holiday spending plunges to seven-year low as zero-Covid batters consumer confidence

Editor’s Note: A version of this story appeared in CNN’s Meanwhile in China newsletter, a three-times-a-week update exploring what you need to know about the country’s rise and how it impacts the world. ...

Hong Kong (CNN Business) — Holiday spending during China’s Golden Week has plunged to its lowest level in seven years, as broad Covid curbs discouraged people from traveling or spending, while a darkening economic outlook continues to erode consumer confidence.

Tourist spending for the week-long holiday that started on October 1 declined 26% to 287.2 billion yuan ($40.4 billion) year-on-year, according to figures from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism on Friday. That’s the lowest figure since 2014, and less than half of the pre-pandemic level in 2019, according to government statistics from previous years. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/10/econ...spending-plunge-covid-intl-hnk-mic/index.html

It may have something to do with which version of the CNN global sites you're visiting.

The story is somewhat buried under the Travel and / or Business sections of CNN's main (North American) website:

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/10/econ...spending-plunge-covid-intl-hnk-mic/index.html

I was taking the headline literally.

If 1.4 billion Chinese people stopped travelling entirely and spending all money, it would be truly incredible news.

The world economy would collapse in days.

Scientists believe existence of party drugs in space points to proof of aliens

Scientists at the University of California Riverside believe that the existence of party drug nitrous oxide, known as laughing gas, in space points to proof of aliens.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/scientists-believe-existence-party-drugs-28196830

maximus otter
Because nitrous oxide has no other use, alien physiology works the same way as with humans, and there can be no other possible explanation for its existence outside Earth's environs?
Hmmmmmmmm.

Because nitrous oxide has no other use, alien physiology works the same way as with humans, and there can be no other possible explanation for its existence outside Earth's environs?
Hmmmmmmmm.
'NO!' Huh?

Back