• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

The story of the tall being flapping its arms reminded me of a similar one in Theo Brown's Devon Ghosts:

That would have been before the A38 that we know was built, so I'm not sure where the old A38 went then or exactly where this might have been.

It might be the same story that Chips Barber refers to in Tales Of The Teign. According to him, at least three cyclists have been chased by an arm-flapping 'spectre' until they'd fallen off their bikes. But he gives the location as 'between Pitt Hill and the village of Hennock' — which is, I believe, just inside Dartmoor National Park.

Neither accounts mention cars being chased though, only bicycles.
I just checked two books by Sally and Chips Barber (Dark and Dastardly Dartmoor and Ghastly and Ghostly Devon - both little touristy booklets) - disappointingly, neither contained the tale of the flapping ghost.

I just checked two books by Sally and Chips Barber (Dark and Dastardly Dartmoor and Ghastly and Ghostly Devon - both little touristy booklets) - disappointingly, neither contained the tale of the flapping ghost.

I had a quick look in some other books for the flapping ghost and I found this in Judy Chard's Devon Mysteries:

The late Syd Wills told me about the ghost that used to haunt the bridge at Stover. One night in 1961 a lady was riding her bike home from a WI meeting. She reached the stone bridge over the river Bovey near Stover when she realized that someone 'surrounded by a kind of fluorescent glow' was running along beside her. It waved its arms and tried to jump in front of her. When she got home, her son, seeing how upset she was, went out on his motorbike to investigate and he had the same experience . - p. 56.

It's an interesting coincidence to find another arm-waving ghost in the same general area. The river Bovey flows under the present A38. I suspect it's the same ghost and the same general location that Theo Brown wrote about, and its possible Chips Barber's version is the same tale but he got confused by the location and put it as 'between Pitt Hill and Hennock'.

The story of the tall being flapping its arms reminded me of a similar one in Theo Brown's Devon Ghosts:

That would have been before the A38 that we know was built, so I'm not sure where the old A38 went then or exactly where this might have been.

It might be the same story that Chips Barber refers to in Tales Of The Teign. According to him, at least three cyclists have been chased by an arm-flapping 'spectre' until they'd fallen off their bikes. But he gives the location as 'between Pitt Hill and the village of Hennock' — which is, I believe, just inside Dartmoor National Park.

Neither accounts mention cars being chased though, only bicycles.
Thanks, perhaps the original source was Theo Brown and it was picked up by the author of one of those generic gift shop books? However, I'm pretty certain it was a couple who were driving on Dartmoor. Seems it wasn't Underwood, sorry

Last edited:
New British Bigfoot reports from North Norfolk:

A pair of peculiar incidents in a British coastal community have left some wondering if Bigfoot, of all creatures, might be roaming a beach in the area. The rather unique case reportedly began last weekend when an unnamed witness was walking along the sand dunes in North Norfolk when he spotted "this thing' which he estimated stood 15 feet tall and boasted a brawny body which he likened to Arnold Schwarzenegger. After brief stare down, the man says, the creature "bounded off across the dunes into the pine forest." When the witness recounted the sighting to his friends, "they just laughed at me and told me I should get some glasses." However, another beachgoer in the area stumbled upon something which may add credence to the man's account.

Read on…

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/bigfoot-roaming-around-beach-in-britain/

New British Bigfoot reports from North Norfolk:

A pair of peculiar incidents in a British coastal community have left some wondering if Bigfoot, of all creatures, might be roaming a beach in the area. The rather unique case reportedly began last weekend when an unnamed witness was walking along the sand dunes in North Norfolk when he spotted "this thing' which he estimated stood 15 feet tall and boasted a brawny body which he likened to Arnold Schwarzenegger. After brief stare down, the man says, the creature "bounded off across the dunes into the pine forest." When the witness recounted the sighting to his friends, "they just laughed at me and told me I should get some glasses." However, another beachgoer in the area stumbled upon something which may add credence to the man's account.

Read on…

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/bigfoot-roaming-around-beach-in-britain/

0_PROD-Screenshot-2022-08-23-at-103546.jpg

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/bigfoot-spotted-brit-beach-terrified-27848095

Well, l’m convinced. Only the deeply cynical might see that as multiple imprints of very human feet, combined in such a way as to suggest one giant one.

maximus otter

Stu Neville discusses reports of strange encounters with hulking black shapes in the UK on Mysteries & Monsters:
Is it Bigfoot…?

https://audioboom.com/posts/8151461...198-bigfoot-and-black-shapes-with-stu-neville
Sorry, should add "our very own" before Stu Neville, sorry Stu...!

Great to hear about the Yatton high-strangeness Stu, I stayed in a Stapleton Road AirBnB for a few weeks here and there in 2016/17 and that microwave tower was the view from my window.

Great to hear about the Yatton high-strangeness Stu, I stayed in a Stapleton Road AirBnB for a few weeks here and there in 2016/17 and that microwave tower was the view from my window.
Glad you enjoyed it! I'm starting to pull something together about the Purdown tower, Stoke Park and its weirdness. There's much going on there. As for Yatton...

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm starting ro pull something together about the Purdown tower, Stoke Park and its weirdness. There's much going on there. As for Yatton...
Great, used to enjoy the walk through the park and along the Frome to Snuff Mills and beyond,

Enjoyed the interview on m&m stu great podcast too.
Micheal portillo interviewed a young lady in his programme the Pyrenees about the Bigfoot/greenman beliefs in the basque region of Spain.

I wonder whether this account should be considered as a British Bigfoot sighting, although later commenters on that thread try to tie the apparition in to Kirkstall Abbey, which is a couple of miles to the east. It's a stretch of road I frequently travel on, and I walk the dog on the riverside path at that point, too. So it's of slightly more than academic interest to me, this one.

ETA there are actually three bridges in quick succession along that stretch of the A6120: over the railway, the river Aire, and the Leeds -Liverpool canal, in that order as you come down the hill from the Horsforth roundabout mentioned. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the River bridge is the one in the "dip of the valley".
Only just come across this thread. Parents lived in Rawdon, a couple of miles away from Horsforth, for 30 years and even in the late 60's there were reports of sightings of weird creatures in that area. Can't remember the details but my dad used to warn me jokingly when I was driving through Horsforth to watch out for the goblins. I always thought that it was probably pissed up uni students in fancy dress who were the culprits.

Hey there members. This is my first post here and it may seem a strange one. But I am a founder/researcher of the British Bigfoot Research team and we actively investigate sightings of hairy, ape-men type creatures that occur in the UK, hominids similar to the Bigfoot of the United States. Often, witnesses of the 'British Bigfoot' feel embarrassed, ashamed and feel stupid for coming forward with their sightings, encounters and reports but we are an organization where people can report their sightings and experiences without fear of ridicule. What this post is for is a call out to anyone who may have had an encounter or sighting with one of these creatures. They are spotted in rural areas mostly. Have any of you guys experienced something in the UK that would connect with what my team are searching for? I know this may be met with a lot of ridicule and joking but I am being serious. I leave our email address where you can contact us and also a link to our Facebook page.

Thanks so much for your time.

[email protected]

www.facebook.com/groups/britishbigfootresearch
Not a founder!

As over on the Maiden Castle site - many of these 'encounters' (stone throwing, noises in the woods, 'camps') mostly just go to show how little people actually go out into the countryside and see what life is like for the homeless who live there.

Threads merged.

OK- would you like to expand?
It was founded by 4 men dotted about the UK who has similiar experiences. Adam Bird was one. Him and his dad created the map. One of the founders left and started an alternative well known group. Adam left due to personal reasons and Hatswell took over. Her role at the start was a desk bound researcher. And it still is as she gets others to do the hard graft.

Oh, yes. I know about the politics and splinter groups, etc - it's the main reason I'm wary of how these discussions can rapidly descend. Suffice to say there are numerous groups, some more reasonable and collaborative than others, and we can leave it at that.

Hatswell took over. Her role at the start was a desk bound researcher. And it still is as she gets others to do the hard graft.

I was going to say "Well to be fair she seems a bit disabled" ,seeing her in the Youtube vids, but you seem to know more than i do. I do listen to her podcasts, some interesting snippets in there.

As an American and from the Land where the REAL Bigfoots live, I find this discussion endlessly confusing. But also fascinating and unintentionally funny. ARTHROPODS?!?

Do the British Bigfoot researchers think that the creature live in the woods near cultivated fields? Are they all in Scotland in the forests?

I've just had to google what an arthropod is. I wonder if the admin who's banned you Stu is a fan of Walking With Beasts or King Kong deleted scenes? .. both dealing with giant ancient insects and as I'm sure you already know, some people suggest the Loch Ness monster sighting/report of Nessie crossing the road was attributed to possibly the couple who reported that sighting maybe having seen the original King Kong film at that time.

I've just had to google what an arthropod is. I wonder if the admin who's banned you Stu is a fan of Walking With Beasts or King Kong deleted scenes? .. both dealing with giant ancient insects...

I reckon whoever this is was just sitting way too close to the telly.

Incidentally, do we call any freakishly large arthropod of the myriapod group - Bigfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfoot...etc?

I reckon whoever this is was just sitting way too close to the telly.

Incidentally, do we call any freakishly large arthropod of the myriapod group - Bigfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfootfoot...etc?

:rollingw:

Back