• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LOTR: The Rings Of Power Series

They seem to have reinvented her to be a near clone of Lagertha from Vikings.
There's no real sense of wisdom, ethereal power or even any basic Elfness about her.
A shame, as Morfydd Clark is a great actress, but is rather hamstrung by the direction the scriptwriters of TROP are pushing her character.
Ah yes Lagertha - you're right.

It's a fine line to read because main characters generally speaking have to be likeable or relateable on some level, hero or anti-hero, to invest us in the story - and yet how can you make what is almost a goddess, likeable? But, if you can't, the whole thing is less compelling. (ETA: Cate Blanchett managed it).

Talking of lost gods, I wonder if we're getting the incredibly irritating Tom Bombadil? Annoying on one level but intriguing on another.

I watched a couple of minutes of this and the posh twat elf kids pissed me off, so much so I turned it off.

I hope the orcs slaughter them all.

I can understand why the Irish are irritated at Hobbits being given Irish accents to depict them as rustic, grubby figures of fun, but what about the Scots? Dwarves are invariably stubborn, greedy and jealously guard their wealth, so the racial stereotype for them just had to be Scottish right? (I'm waiting for one of them to declare "we're doomed. Doomed I tell ye!").
Oh and Elves tend to be rather aloof and insouciant towards the lesser denizens of the world, so an aristocratic English accent was pretty well inevitable.
Looks like a new age of racial stereotyping has begun!
And the nasty Orcs have to have a cockney accent. Cant wait for the scene where they all start singing Knees Up Mother Brown......

And the nasty Orcs have to have a cockney accent. Cant wait for the scene where they all start singing Knees Up Mother Brown......
Under the table you must go
Ee-aye, Ee-aye, Ee-aye-oh
If I catch you bending
I'll saw your legs right off

Seems orc like tbh.

A shame that the movies didn't include the dialogue between Gorbag and Shagrat, where they are reminiscing about the good old days and making plans for when the war is over:

"What d’you say? – if we get a chance, you and me’ll slip off and set up somewhere on our own with a few trusty lads, somewhere where there’s good loot nice and handy, and no big bosses.’
‘Ah!’ said Shagrat. ‘Like old times."

Tolkien, who lost all but one of his friends in WW1, clearly wanted to show that even the hated inhuman enemy were sapient beings too with hopes, aspirations, a sense of nostalgia and a desire not to be bullied by cruel leaders.

Oddly, I just read this post today, just after reading this piece (contains the above lines):

What does it take to create an entire race of enemies?
Today we’re going to take a deep dive into the darker corners of the legendarium that inspired both The Rings of Power — Amazon Prime’s recent $1 billion attempt to bring mass culture back to the small screen — as well as much of the set of structures and conventions that we generally refer to as fantasy.

In doing so, we’re going to ask a question with some unsettling resonances for Anglo-American history and culture: not “what is an orc,” but why is an orc? What does it take—narratively and materially—to create an entire race of enemies?
https://heat-death.ghost.io/orcs-is-man-to-orc/

Try Pratchetts `Unseen Academicals`, for his take on Orcs. (Sympathetic but without being un-orky).

or The Comic book series,, `Dawn of the Jedi`, for the SW version.

(The Rakata are truly horrid, but they seem to have invented most of the fundamental technologies in SW... Also they're more like "Sentient eaters who protect from Planet eaters" villains...)

I haven't had the chance to watch yet--I'll genuinely give it a chance--but I this was sent to me earlier with the caption:

"It's the attention to detail that a budget this size allows that brings full immersion for the viewer."

FddmTptX0AI0p6U.jpeg

I haven't had the chance to watch yet--I'll genuinely give it a chance--but I this was sent to me earlier with the caption:

"It's the attention to detail that a budget this size allows that brings full immersion for the viewer."

View attachment 59287

Oh dear!
Surely the £billions spent could have stretched to employing a few more extras?

View attachment 59287
I can't really see the small stuff but presumably this is a close-up shot of someone's back on a small set piece pasted onto a crowd-duplication CGI. Hey that CGI is pretty pricey.

What baffles me about Galadriel in TROP is that she's meant to be about 1000 years old. So why is she behaving like a spoiled teenager who thinks they get what they want by being aggressive?
After a thousand years, you'd think an intelligent person would've learned how to manipulate or encourage people to get your way. If there's any character development to her, making her more humbled, the writers are only adding it to the script now. Which shows bad writing.
Start of Episode:
"I'm new here ... I demand you give me ships to take to Middle Earth!"
"No - we will never be ruled by an elf!"
End of Episode:
"Okay, guys - give the elf a fleet of ships!"
Surely the £billions spent could have stretched to employing a few more extras?
I'd suggest that most of the budget was spent on pre-release promotion, bribing 'influencers', paying for social media bots etc.

View attachment 59287

Sorry Yith, I've expanded this - as much as the resolution arrives. Is the issue that some people are looking at the camera? - Definitely an issue; as to people who are looking away and there's only a few, I suppose one could argue that is how a "real" crowd might act, although obviously not desirable in a fictional narrative.

What baffles me about Galadriel in TROP is that she's meant to be about 1000 years old. So why is she behaving like a spoiled teenager who thinks they get what they want by being aggressive?
After a thousand years, you'd think an intelligent person would've learned how to manipulate or encourage people to get your way. If there's any character development to her, making her more humbled, the writers are only adding it to the script now. Which shows bad writing.
Start of Episode:
"I'm new here ... I demand you give me ships to take to Middle Earth!"
"No - we will never be ruled by an elf!"
End of Episode:
"Okay, guys - give the elf a fleet of ships!"

I'd suggest that most of the budget was spent on pre-release promotion, bribing 'influencers', paying for social media bots etc.

Galadriel, in this misguided version, seems to be a mash-up of Lagertha from Vikings and Harry Enfield's characters Kevin and Perry.

Is the issue that some people are looking at the camera?

No. If you check the colour of the circles to the faces you see that they are copies (not easy for someone who is a bit colour-blind!)

Generally I find the script to be a bit naff. There is also a blatant attempt to make things more relatable to a modern audience. When we see Isildur and his brother hauling the boats out of the water one of them calls out something like "yo dude" (it wasn't actually that but something very similar) I now keep an ear out for any more such modernities and chuckle to myself.

They've spent a lot of money on this so need to get as big an audience as possible and keep it. One thing they are introducing is the mystery of who will be the "Nine mortal men" who get the rings and therefore become the Nazgul (or oath breakers) And we've only met two dwarf lords, there are five more to introduce.

Last edited:
No. If you check the colour of the circles to the faces you see that they are copies (not easy for someone who is a bit colour-blind!)

Generally I find the script to be a bit naff. There is also a blatant attempt to make things more relatable to a modern audience. When we see Isildur and his brother hauling the boats out of the water one of them calls out something like "yo dude" (it wasn't actually that but something very similar) I now keep an ear out for any more such modernities and chuckle to myself.

They've spent a lot of money on this so need to get as big an audience as possible and keep it. One thing they are introducing is the mystery of who will be the "Nine mortal men" who get the rings and therefore become the Nazgul (or oath breakers) And we've only met two dwarf lords, there are five more to introduce.
I think that somewhere along the way LOTR gave us this information.

Ah, I thought some of them looked similar. What is odd is that some of the copies are at different angles - the lady with the whitish headscarf for example.

I hope the Balrog has "Cowabunga!" as a catch phrase.

What, the original names and kingdoms of the nine?
Trying to remember the specifics. I think the info on men is somewhere near the barrow wight section, but it's a big book and perhaps I'm wrong. I may just be thinking of the shot in LOTR that shows men and elves putting the rings on. Fairly sure that he gives the origin of the leader of the 9.

Ah, I thought some of them looked similar. What is odd is that some of the copies are at different angles - the lady with the whitish headscarf for example.

I hope the Balrog has "Cowabunga!" as a catch phrase.
That's how the software works. You make or photograph one person and give the cgi some parameters and it creates more people out of that photograph, varying all kinds of things like head position.

Trying to remember the specifics. I think the info on men is somewhere near the barrow wight section, but it's a big book and perhaps I'm wrong. I may just be thinking of the shot in LOTR that shows men and elves putting the rings on. Fairly sure that he gives the origin of the leader of the 9.

Dave, Barry, Ian, Colin, Graham, John, Bill, Fat Dave (two Daves, awkward!) and Belvedere.

Still one of my favourite bits of Fellowship. He’d need a big imagination to bring him to life on a television. Not sure there are any big minds left.
That's a question. Who would you cast as Tom Bombadil?

Back