• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do you think Uri Geller is......

• Absolutely genuine

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • An entertainer with no special powers

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Conman

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
It’s 100 yards by 50 yards, and in the Firth of Forth. Scarcely an exotic micronation.

Also, Geller spent two years getting rid of its single rat. Hardly seems to qualify as “existing in peace and harmony with all species which dwell there”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_(island)

maximus otter

It was removed to protect the birds.

"Lamb Island is home to seabirds such as puffins, kittiwakes, cormorants and guillemots."

(From BBC News)

Just spotted an original artwork by Uri Geller at one of the auctions I buy from. Personally I wouldn’t want it but each to their own.
2B950411-A226-4F07-96A1-88A79CA77BE0.jpeg

It means there's a ready market for 'art' which is way easier than earning a living the hard way.
I fully appreciate your thoughtful evaluation of Uri's iconoclastic use of style, form, colour and structure to create a savage indictment of the idiosyncratic nature of Western morality and cultural mores evident in late 20th /early 21st Century socio-political self-destructive consumerism - but why hasn't anyone noticed that that picture is upside-down?? Philistines.

I fully appreciate your thoughtful evaluation of Uri's iconoclastic use of style, form, colour and structure to create a savage indictment of the idiosyncratic nature of Western morality and cultural mores evident in late 20th /early 21st Century socio-political self-destructive consumerism - but why hasn't anyone noticed that that picture is upside-down?? Philistines.
Jeez anyone can see it's been mounted sideways. Lot of philistines about.

I quite like it. As to what it means, you might well ask what does any abstract art mean. What did Jackson Pollock mean with his drip paintings? Kandinsky?

Bottom line is ... art is created for various reasons, and ALWAYS purchased for various reasons.
Like many things, it's incredibly subjective. There is no "real" art.
If many people see it and say it's crap, then you might get a hint but it doesn't make it crap to you.
However ...
If you see money changing hands, it has nothing to do with art but finance. Does the artist create to make money or is someone earning off their talent? Is the artist crap but does their own notoriety add value? And, who buys and sells it?
J. W. Gacy painted stuff before he died. To my eyes it was childish crap. But being the output of an infamous serial killer, it's worth a lot.

Thing is, if Uri wants to sell his shit then fine - it doesn't make it good. Is it only selling because it's Geller? Perhaps.

But nothing has value unless someone wants to give it such.
Sometimes a 50p coin will only ever be worth 50p!

Thing is, if Uri wants to sell his shit then fine - it doesn't make it good. Is it only selling because it's Geller? Perhaps.
Uri isn’t selling his shit in this case. It’s an estate sale - someone has died & their possessions are being auctioned. Kind of like a posh house clearance. How they came to it, who knows? Maybe they knew Geller & he gave it to them, maybe they paid for it. We don’t know. We do however know he’s generally not shy in selling himself in whatever way he can.

But certainly celebrity art has a cachet for that reason alone.

Uri isn’t selling his shit in this case. It’s an estate sale - someone has died & their possessions are being auctioned. Kind of like a posh house clearance. How they came to it, who knows? Maybe they knew Geller & he gave it to them, maybe they paid for it. We don’t know. We do however know he’s generally not shy in selling himself in whatever way he can.

But certainly celebrity art has a cachet for that reason alone.
It was originally part of an auction of works of art by celebs to promote literacy.

The hammer price was £90. 24% commission, £32 delivery charge and 20% VAT. Apparently.

It was originally part of an auction of works of art by celebs to promote literacy.

The hammer price was £90. 24% commission, £32 delivery charge and 20% VAT. Apparently.
Enjoy your purchase!

At under £150 I reckon it’ll be an appreciating asset.

Not mine. I did bid but just missed out. Checked delivery price beforehand and all costs so I knew what I would be in for.
That’s an extortionate delivery price if you are in the U.K. Their commission is quite low though compared to most auction houses. They do get some good stuff in there.

That’s an extortionate delivery price if you are in the U.K. Their commission is quite low though compared to most auction houses. They do get some good stuff in there.
I'm assuming it was so high due to it being in a glass frame.

Their normal commission is 27% so managed to find an option which reduced it to what I would have paid if I was at the auction house. Had I been there or had I been able to bid live I might have tried a little more, so all round cheaper to have put an absentee bid in. Give me a few days and I will regret not going higher :)

And yes, UK.

I'm assuming it was so high due to it being in a glass frame.

Their normal commission is 27% so managed to find an option which reduced it to what I would have paid if I was at the auction house. Had I been there or had I been able to bid live I might have tried a little more, so all round cheaper to have put an absentee bid in. Give me a few days and I will regret not going higher :)

And yes, UK.
I’ve got so many regrets about not going higher on some items.

The commercial auction house I worked for charged commission and (of course) VAT but unless the buyer collected or arranged collection, they'd have to pay for their own shipping - we would do minimal wrapping for them.

Just read a how to increase your psychic powers book by good old Uri. What a pile of tosh. It's full of typical self help stuff, and every so often it says things like "will yourself to do it psychically". It certainly doesn't do what it says on the tin.

I'd be very careful not to upset him. You'd best go and check your teaspoons are not all bent up.
I’ll watch out for him & if I find him at my door asking to fondle my cutlery there’ll be trouble. So far so good.

Back