• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

Ship Nautical Or Otherwise Photographic Interpretation and Exploitation team, or "SNOOPIE team."

Can't help but feel that the name was just chosen to get that acronym

According to wikipedia one of the original Mercury astronauts, Gordon Cooper, claimed his biggest disappointment in his life time happened n 1957 at Edwards AFB when he and two other people were testing the photo taking Askania Cinetheodolite equipment.
Gordon claimed this equipment took beautiful pictures of an UFO at Edwards AFB.
He was instructed to hand over the film to the Pentagon.
We have dissected this claim several times on this forum; Gordon Cooper was quite simply wrong about this entire episode.

Cooper did not see the UFO himself; we did however find the original report by the two witnesses, and it was nothing like Cooper's remembered version. Cooper only saw the tiny negatives taken by the camera operated by the two witnesses, and he based his entire testimony on this brief glimpse.

In short, Cooper was full of it. How many times do we need to debunk this story?

According to Wikipedia, Gordon Cooper has to his name a list of awards and honors a “ mile long “ beside working for numerous companies over the years.

I just can not see Gordon Cooper as being dishonest !

I don't know, I don't think Cooper was being consciously dishonest. In a lot of these cases involving otherwise credible / sensible people I suspect that they may misremember something, turn it into a 'story', and then become invested enough in that 'story' that it just cements the unreliable memories in place. This might include things they had just heard about but which they then incorporate into their own memory.

As mentioned upthread I think a similar thing may be happening with Salas and his story about Malmstrom AFB, which to me has odd similarities to the (documented) incident at Minot AFB on 24 October 1968. I suspect he may originally have unwittingly combined memories of a shutdown at Malmstrom with a story he'd heard at the time about the 'UFO' incident at Minot. Having now been required to retell and defend this 'story', any reliable memory he might have had of what went on has now become completely altered.

Absolutely. Cooper was simply telling the truth as he remembered it. He didn't tell this story until ten years later, after his career as an astronaut was over. I can't blame him for mixing things up a bit.

He does seem to have had a tendency to exaggerate somewhat, however; he overestimated the sensitivity of the Questar telescope on Gemini 5. Despite Cooper's description, it could not read car numberplates from space. A small exaggeration, but a telling one.

An amazing shocking statement from the Navy in a strange way confirms UFO/UAPs are real !

The web site The Black Vault has over the years has filed thousands of Freedom of Information Act requests.

The latest FOIA wanted all the UFO videos connected to the UFO “ tic-tac “ Nimitz.

Gregory Cason, Deputy Director Navy, answer was that we have several more UFO videos but they will not be released because this would greatly “ Harm National Security “.

You notice there was no denial that they had UFO videos or that UFOs are not real.

There was no misdirection like “ swamp gas “ or “ monkeys escaped from a circus “.

Does that mean they are American and it would harm national security if a potential adversary knew about them, or to cover up embarrassment that they can't catch them?

Does that mean they are American and it would harm national security if a potential adversary knew about them, or to cover up embarrassment that they can't catch them?

I imagine they probably reveal something about the capability of US weapon / radar or other systems.

I assume a lot of these 'unidentified drones' reported by the Navy, usually not a million miles from "civilian" Chinese registered cargo ships, are actually part of an effort to gather information on current US defence systems.

What ever UFO/UAPs are, they go and come as they please knowing no country can stop them.

I feel like UFOs are given us the finger and laughing at us !

What ever UFO/UAPs are, they go and come as they please knowing no country can stop them.

I feel like UFOs are given us the finger and laughing at us !
Indeed. Whatever the truth is behind them, that is definitely the impression they give!

I assume a lot of these 'unidentified drones' reported by the Navy, usually not a million miles from "civilian" Chinese registered cargo ships, are actually part of an effort to gather information on current US defence systems.
That does seem to be the case in the USS Zumwalt incident and the USS Paul Hamilton incident.

Most of the other incidents involving US navy pilots seem to have been stray mylar balloons or distant unidentified planes. Certainly the Pentagon would not want to publicise the fact that they can't tell the difference between aliens and Batman balloons.

Lately former deputy Secretary of Defense, Chris Mellon, has been pushing his opinion that aliens are the only logical answer.

Chris claims no country has the technology seen lately in the skies near naval vessels.

Chris Mellon reveals more:

Chris Mellon attended a conference on UFOs in Barcelona, and while there he gave an interview to a Spanish newspaper in which he made some of his most explicit and revealing comments about his belief in space aliens to date. The former Defense Department official and onetime lobbyist has been one of the driving forces behind the effort to convince Congress to create a new UFO office. He recently began admitting that his lifelong interest in science fiction and space aliens led him to believe UFOs are alien ships, and now he rather absurdly asserts that not only are these aliens visiting Earth but that “hundreds” of people have seen them land and even communicated with the creatures.

When you go to the zoo, do you talk to the animals? Why would they want to talk to us? What would be of interest to them? They may be so far beyond us. But the other thing I would say is that we have many reports that indicate that there has been some contact and some communication. Don’t forget, we’ve had incidents where these objects were flying right over our capital, the capital of the United States, and this has happened in other countries. We’ve had situations where these things have landed and hundreds of people have seen them. There may have been some contact and interaction, one, and, two, it doesn’t surprise me that they don’t want to, uh, land on the White House lawn and talk to the government, you know?

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/chris-mellon-aliens-have-landed-and-contacted-witnesses

The fact that the examples he gives are (I guess, from the descriptions) the 1952 Washington sightings and the Voronezh incident - doubtful old cases that you could find in any UFO book, magazine or tabloid paper - suggests to me that he doesn't really have access to any better information than us to inform his opinion that the phenomenon is "aliens".

I wonder how UFO information is classified ?

Secret

Top secret

Only need to know basis

? ?

Well, we know quite a lot about how the British government classified the information, as Dave Clarke and Andy Roberts did a lot of research on it for their (excellent) book Out of the Shadows. This uncovered a lot of documentation originally classed as 'secret' - though this is more in the nature of comment and analysis rather than 'evidence'.

https://drdavidclarke.co.uk/national-archives-ufo-files-7/flying-saucer-working-party/

One interesting point is that the Operation Mainbrace sightings (discussed elsewhere on this board) did actually lead to an order to RAF personnel not to discuss any reports of their own with the press and that they would be classified "confidential". So there was, in a sense, an effort to restrict information.

Last edited:
One of the TV episodes with Elizondo working with Tom DeLonge, Elizondo did accuse the Pentagon of trashing UFO information.

Supposedly, this dishonesty was one of the many reasons why Elizondo quit the Pentagon.

I expect nearly all the data from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s has been 'trashed', mostly because it is low quality data.

I can understand that, but it doesn't help modern day researchers find the truth (and can be counterproductive, since the low-information cases are the ones which retain their aura of mystery).

Reactions: Sid
Ultimately I think the main reason UFO records (sighting reports, papers) get cleared out by government archives is that there's very little they can do with them: even more so as government interest in UFOs will be led by those things that are of interest to governments - is there any national security risk, for example. Going back to what Ralph Noyes, who ran DS8 in the 60s and 70s, said:

I think during my time that after we had failed to find an explanation and satisfied ourselves that the thing was a one-off and it hadn't shown any signs of coming back - all one could really do was to file the report. And to hope that there were not too many public questions, because we had no satisfactory answers

..and this was from a civil servant who on a personal level believed there might be something in the phenomenon.

As a "one-off", unrepeatable event, most historic UFO sighting reports are quite resistant to useful study so there is little point in hanging on to them - unless you're a ufologist, anyway.

People want to know it this is a hoax ?

The U.S. National Intelligence Manager for Aviation redesigned the patches that they wear to include an UFO on the patch.

If this is real this would be great !

https://cyberscoop.com/odni-ufo-new-seal-in-error/

Edit—The site was not hacked, but the Intelligence Manager does not know how this wrong image got to the internet.

Are we seeing a secret message ?

Last edited:
If the fake U.S. National Intelligence Manager for Aviation emblem was not a hack as the agency claims, they should know who put the UFO on the emblem.

After all they are supposedly “ intelligence “ ?

Well they do say Military Intelligence is an oxymoron.

I'm wondering if the flying saucer they've added to this badge design is simply an acknowledgement that one of their new missions is to investigate UFO activity. Wasn't there a recent announcement that the US government agreed that a UFO phenomenon existed, whatever it may be?

The best guess is that this is an 'insider prank'; the spoofed emblem has now been removed, and does not appear in any official context. This may prove that someone in the US Military has a sense of humour, but unfortunately a joke is not proof that anyone is taking this seriously.

James Woolsey Recounts A UFO Encounter
The time former CIA Director James Woolsey told me a pilot friend of his had his aircraft STOP in mid air during a UFO encounter.

The UFO stigma in that James Wolsey has integrity, but because UFOs is a taboo topic, no one will consider this statement as a possibility about the UFO phenomenon.

The UFO stigma in that James Wolsey has integrity, but because UFOs is a taboo topic, no one will consider this statement as a possibility about the UFO phenomenon.
But know one will...I;m bored with the whole subject and if there are good fellow Space Brothers and Sisters and they introduce themselves to you and me that be great but I really think it ain't going to happen and O have seen things...the whole YouTube UFO shit is shit plus boring.
How can some bloke like Jacques Vallee make books and income when he has Never met a A Alien but is on the circus.
Aliens just come down and do good

Back