• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I did just this but the search told me 'himself' was too short or too common...? Do you have a post number for the photo?

That's really weird!
Now I'm on my Windows 11 laptop I get the same "too short" error. On my Fire HD tablet earlier though, it let me do the search.
Try my post no. 1231 on page 42 of this thread.
There was also one I posted some time before that of a woman who, as a little girl was haunted by herself as an adult.

Oh yes, there are time slips and other weird things all over Liverpool. This is a good one:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sue kindly sent me her fascinating stories of her time slip experiences.
I think you’ll enjoy reading about them…
I’ve had lots of spooky encounters since the age of 6 when my beloved Grandad passed away, I was the
apple of his eye, far too many to mention as it was 54 years ago.
I’ve had 2 time lapses, once at the age of 9 and 3 years ago in Ludlow, Shropshire.
When I was a child in Liverpool, my Dad would take me and my sis over the water to a seaside place called
Moreton, it was a long journey.
It was a glorious summer’s day and I sat alone on one side of the bus as they talked on the other side I leant
my head on the window daydreaming.
Then a flash of forked lightning hit the pavement, then it lashed it down and started thundering.
I saw a woman running with a weird pram with 2 seats either side and she put on these red capes to cover
the small children just then she looked up at me on the bus and I was shocked.
So looked over to my Dad and sis, it was so sunny on their side, I asked him if it had been thundering he told
me no and I told him what I had seen.
I married and lived on the Wirral, I had 2 children and my father-in-law gave me the money to get a double
buggy in 1980 from a well to do shop in Liverpool.
The assistant asked did I want the red capes to go with the buggy. It was a new Maclaren, only just came
out.
I went to a super market, as I passed a certain place a flash of forked lightning almost hit me I quickly
covered the kids in their capes and started running for home.
I then heard the swish of bus tyres in the torrential rain, I stopped and looked up, I didn’t know why but there
looking at me was me aged 9.
I couldn’t get home quick enough I rushed in and phoned Dad in Liverpool asking him can he recall the day
in 1963 he did.
I am sure this story has appeared either in this thread or another before. It is a great story.

Meeting or glimpsing your younger/older self or encountering the same person at different stages of their life is an extremely common time-slip theme.
There are many such accounts on this thread, including one with a photo!
Just search for "himself" on this thread.
Now that's odd. Because, if I saw a 'future' image of myself I would a) either not recognise it as myself - the body, hair etc change a LOT over a lifetime, and unless it was a timeslip of less than twenty years I am not sure I would know it was me and b) if I saw an older verion of myself I would probably think it was an older relative, my mum/dad/cousin etc. I have, apparently, lots of cousins around (my grandad was one of 13) most of whom I have never met, so seeing someone who looked like an older version of me would probably get put down to seeing an unknown cousin who was many years older than myself.

So, basically, I can't get my head around people seeing someone and believing it to be themselves in an older version.

I am sure this story has appeared either in this thread or another before. It is a great story.
I've quoted it myself a few times here and there. I can't find the original site that I got it from. So far I have collected nearly 40 doppelganger cases, most I would consider as time slips.

Now that's odd. Because, if I saw a 'future' image of myself I would a) either not recognise it as myself - the body, hair etc change a LOT over a lifetime, and unless it was a timeslip of less than twenty years I am not sure I would know it was me and b) if I saw an older verion of myself I would probably think it was an older relative, my mum/dad/cousin etc. I have, apparently, lots of cousins around (my grandad was one of 13) most of whom I have never met, so seeing someone who looked like an older version of me would probably get put down to seeing an unknown cousin who was many years older than myself.

So, basically, I can't get my head around people seeing someone and believing it to be themselves in an older version.
As an older person, looking at photos of me or at myself as a child and of me now, I can tell it is the same person. I don't look much like anyone else in my family - although others see flashes of my mother/father and I do occasionally.

I imagine I might have been freaked out to see me now, as an 18-year-old. I might not have wanted to believe it was me in the future....

I could imagine being the future me and seeing the child would be the moment you realised the significance of the earlier event.

Imagine seeing the child you - I would want to warn them of certain things.

Anyway....If it is not a real paranormal event, could it be some sort of psychologically created event? Would it be most likely to happen during particular periods of time or particular stages of life?

I know I have some regrets and things I wish I could inform my younger self about. Weirdly enough, like a kindly mother to me as a teenager. I might be an ideal candidate to see my younger self. I wonder why I haven't.

As an older person, looking at photos of me or at myself as a child and of me now, I can tell it is the same person. I don't look much like anyone else in my family - although others see flashes of my mother/father and I do occasionally.

I imagine I might have been freaked out to see me now, as an 18-year-old. I might not have wanted to believe it was me in the future....

I could imagine being the future me and seeing the child would be the moment you realised the significance of the earlier event.

Imagine seeing the child you - I would want to warn them of certain things.

Anyway....If it is not a real paranormal event, could it be some sort of psychologically created event? Would it be most likely to happen during particular periods of time or particular stages of life?

I know I have some regrets and things I wish I could inform my younger self about. Weirdly enough, like a kindly mother to me as a teenager. I might be an ideal candidate to see my younger self. I wonder why I haven't.
Maybe it's just me then. But I know if I saw someone who looked a bit like teenage me walking along, my immediate 'go to' wouldn't be 'that's me fifty years ago', it would be 'there's someone who has their hair like I used to when I was 15' or 'I used to have a jumper like that'. The sheer incongruity between what I would wear as a younger person and what's fashionable now would make me stand out like - well, like someone from the 70's walking down a street in '22!

I might believe I'd seen someone who looked a bit like me. But my conclusion would more likely be 'doppelganger' than 'time slip'.

Maybe it's just me then. But I know if I saw someone who looked a bit like teenage me walking along, my immediate 'go to' wouldn't be 'that's me fifty years ago', it would be 'there's someone who has their hair like I used to when I was 15' or 'I used to have a jumper like that'. The sheer incongruity between what I would wear as a younger person and what's fashionable now would make me stand out like - well, like someone from the 70's walking down a street in '22!

I might believe I'd seen someone who looked a bit like me. But my conclusion would more likely be 'doppelganger' than 'time slip'.
If I saw myself in 1989 I would just know it was me.

I had a distinctive look/style of dress. E.g goth with lots of velvet items particular colours, embroidered velvet items. I wore specific items of jewellery which were difficult to find (the best of which I still have). At the time finding unusual items and combining them in your unique way took time - and visits to charity shops, boot fairs, Kensington Market and Affleck's Palace, even the odd sale buy in Miss Selfridge or whatever.

Nowadays unusual items are more easily found online. Then, you had to find good sources of oddities.

By 1989 I was wearing less make up most of the time. And less jewellery - but was a bit of an unusual looking young lady. At least wherever I was living at the time, I always seemed to be the only one wearing those combinations. As a student I maybe started toning my look down, but I still stood out somehow.

I understand that if I only saw a young me from a side or rear view, I might conclude it was just someone similar looking, but if I saw my face, I would recognise myself.

I can see how someone might get sense of a past image, from seeing someone superficially as 'like oneself' form a different perspective, e.g. the other side of a familiar road.

The event of the 'person like the younger you' recalls a past memory of when you were on the other side of the road.

Then you reconsolidate the 'present event' which incorporates your original memory of the 'person like the younger you'.

After a short time, even a few hours, you'd not really have any residual memory of the process, just the feeling you'd seen yourself passing by.

It might work in the other direction, with an older you' but it would need a fairly strong sense of how you might look as you aged, so perhaps someone resembling the observer's same-sex parent maybe?

Or maybe there are parallel dimension portals all over the place and memory re-consolidation isn't real.

I can see how someone might get sense of a past image, from seeing someone superficially as 'like oneself' form a different perspective, e.g. the other side of a familiar road.

The event of the 'person like the younger you' recalls a past memory of when you were on the other side of the road.

Then you reconsolidate the 'present event' which incorporates your original memory of the 'person like the younger you'.

After a short time, even a few hours, you'd not really have any residual memory of the process, just the feeling you'd seen yourself passing by.

It might work in the other direction, with an older you' but it would need a fairly strong sense of how you might look as you aged, so perhaps someone resembling the observer's same-sex parent maybe?

Or maybe there are parallel dimension portals all over the place and memory re-consolidation isn't real.
I don't think I ever imagined myself as I would look when I was older. I am not sure I would have imagined I would be quite like I am. Would I recognise myself? I think I would if I got to see my face. My eyes, my facial structure/shape, my nose, my teeth and mouth etc. are easily recognisable as the same person.

The thing missing from the tales might be the detail of the face - did these people actually see the face or did they see someone from behind or a partial view and make an assumption, when it could have been someone of a similar height/weight/bone structure, clothing/hair colour but not actually themselves from a different time?

I don't think I ever imagined myself as I would look when I was older. I am not sure I would have imagined I would be quite like I am. Would I recognise myself? I think I would if I got to see my face. My eyes, my facial structure/shape, my nose, my teeth and mouth etc. are easily recognisable as the same person.

The thing missing from the tales might be the detail of the face - did these people actually see the face or did they see someone from behind or a partial view and make an assumption, when it could have been someone of a similar height/weight/bone structure, clothing/hair colour but not actually themselves from a different time?
I think it's on here somewhere, my experience of not recognising myself in a photograph, where I was bundled up in winter clothing and wearing a hat, and I assumed that the photograph was of an old man...

I was in my late 30's and female.

Funnily enough, I spent some of my student years in Liverpool, and on Bold Street itself. I have had a look on Googlemaps to revisit the place virtually. The News From Nowhere bookshop is still there, as is Forbidden Planet (the place where I discovered the existence of the Fortean Times as it was harder to find then). The Tabac cafe, which I visited for refreshment whenever I went there is still there too.

Bold Street on Googlemaps has lots of funny glitches. People and cars get flattened, posts are upright and flattened, bits of things appear in odd places and just look weird (possibly disembodied flattened arms of people). Part of the problem when the view is made up of lots of photos taken at different moments in time with lots of people/cars and things everywhere.

I don't remember Bold Street seeming very long when I used to walk up to the Cathedral from the train station via Bold Street. I must have just visited exactly the shops I wanted to and given most of them a miss when I got there. I used to go to an indoor market called Quiggins, but that closed down some years back.

But it is strange. Most places seem smaller to me as I get older, yet Bold Street seems to just go on and on. I don't remember the walk to the Tabac cafe and Cathedral being such a long one.

I tried to retrace my steps to the Queens Dock which I used to walk to from there for a while, but I couldn't work out where I used to walk. It was some time ago I suppose, and some things I would have seen on my walk probably aren't there now.

Funnily enough, I spent some of my student years in Liverpool, and on Bold Street itself. I have had a look on Googlemaps to revisit the place virtually. The News From Nowhere bookshop is still there, as is Forbidden Planet (the place where I discovered the existence of the Fortean Times as it was harder to find then). The Tabac cafe, which I visited for refreshment whenever I went there is still there too.

Bold Street on Googlemaps has lots of funny glitches. People and cars get flattened, posts are upright and flattened, bits of things appear in odd places and just look weird (possibly disembodied flattened arms of people). Part of the problem when the view is made up of lots of photos taken at different moments in time with lots of people/cars and things everywhere.

I don't remember Bold Street seeming very long when I used to walk up to the Cathedral from the train station via Bold Street. I must have just visited exactly the shops I wanted to and given most of them a miss when I got there. I used to go to an indoor market called Quiggins, but that closed down some years back.

But it is strange. Most places seem smaller to me as I get older, yet Bold Street seems to just go on and on. I don't remember the walk to the Tabac cafe and Cathedral being such a long one.

I tried to retrace my steps to the Queens Dock which I used to walk to from there for a while, but I couldn't work out where I used to walk. It was some time ago I suppose, and some things I would have seen on my walk probably aren't there now.
It sounds as if Bold Street is indeed a glitchy kind of place, just where you might expect time slips to happen.

This is an odd one,I’ve put it in the time slip category because I thought it was most apt.
Me and my wife have just got back to London from two weeks in Devon. I’ve just checked the football scores from yesterday and saw that Arsenal beat Tottenham 3-1. I’m not an mad football fan but like to see Arsenal win.
While we were away we were driving to Minehead one afternoon,it was Saturday 24th,when the lady on the radio (unfortunately not 100% sure which station ) said that Arsenal had beaten Tottenham 3-1. I was very pleased and told my wife what the score was. I then remembered that it was international games taking place so assumed it must have been the Arsenal ladies team.
My wife remembers the conversation we had in the car also it’s not just me remembering it. I’ve checked the results for Saturday the 24th and Arsenal ladies did Tottenham but beat them 4-0 and not 3-1. Maybe I just misheard what she said on the radio. If only I’d looked at the fixtures for yesterday,I could have won a few quid.

This is an odd one,I’ve put it in the time slip category because I thought it was most apt.
Me and my wife have just got back to London from two weeks in Devon. I’ve just checked the football scores from yesterday and saw that Arsenal beat Tottenham 3-1. I’m not an mad football fan but like to see Arsenal win.
While we were away we were driving to Minehead one afternoon,it was Saturday 24th,when the lady on the radio (unfortunately not 100% sure which station ) said that Arsenal had beaten Tottenham 3-1. I was very pleased and told my wife what the score was. I then remembered that it was international games taking place so assumed it must have been the Arsenal ladies team.
My wife remembers the conversation we had in the car also it’s not just me remembering it. I’ve checked the results for Saturday the 24th and Arsenal ladies did Tottenham but beat them 4-0 and not 3-1. Maybe I just misheard what she said on the radio. If only I’d looked at the fixtures for yesterday,I could have won a few quid.
Were you anywhere near Bampton during your drive to Minehead? There is a time-slip experience from the 70s there that featured on "Strange but True?' and featured two motorists.

Incidentally, there hasn't been a 3-1 scoreline between the women's teams, but in the men's game Arsenal beat Spurs 3-1 in 2021 - on the 26th September. But on this Saturday 24th we had the Nations Cup and all the hullabaloo around England's dismal performances, so it is a possibility this score was mentioned in relation to the upcoming fixture, but it seems a bit unlikely Arsenal v Spurs was being discussed a week ahead (I listen to football on the radio on Saturdays as I'm doing the chores).

Last edited:
Were you anywhere near Bampton during your drive to Minehead? There is a time-slip experience from the 70s there that featured on "Strange but True?' and featured two motorists.

Incidentally, there hasn't been a 3-1 scoreline between the women's teams, but in the men's game Arsenal beat Spurs 3-1 in 2021 - on the 26th September. But on this Saturday 24th we had the Nations Cup and all the hullabaloo around England's dismal performances, so it is a possibility this score was mentioned in relation to the upcoming fixture, but it seems a bit unlikely Arsenal v Spurs was being discussed a week ahead (I listen to football on the radio on Saturdays as I'm doing the chores).
Nowhere near Bampton,we were staying at Doniford so would have been on the A39 to Minehead. It wouldn’t have been a sports radio station we were listening to, my wife wouldn’t let me have that on. As I said maybe they read read out the Arsenal- Tottenham ladies result which was played on that day and I misheard the score but 3-1 sounds nothing like 4-0. I have asked her what she remembers and she said I told her Arsenal had beaten Tottenham 3-1 when we were in the car and it had just been announced. The reason she remembers is probably because she has no interest in sport and more than likely gave me a sarcastic reply.

Nowhere near Bampton,we were staying at Doniford so would have been on the A39 to Minehead. It wouldn’t have been a sports radio station we were listening to, my wife wouldn’t let me have that on. As I said maybe they read read out the Arsenal- Tottenham ladies result which was played on that day and I misheard the score but 3-1 sounds nothing like 4-0. I have asked her what she remembers and she said I told her Arsenal had beaten Tottenham 3-1 when we were in the car and it had just been announced. The reason she remembers is probably because she has no interest in sport and more than likely gave me a sarcastic reply.
That is more intriguing as a non-sports radio station definitely wouldn't have been discussing this fixture a week ahead.

Do you know the approximate time you heard this score being read out?

That is more intriguing as a non-sports radio station definitely wouldn't have been discussing this fixture a week ahead.

Do you know the approximate time you heard this score being read out?
We were going to Minehead to buy fish and chips as we’d heard how good they were at this particular chippy. It would have been about 6-6.30.

Well, it is certainly intriguing. If only you could remember the radio station as most have a listen again feature on their websites.
We actually think it was probably Boom radio. I can’t be sure so didn’t commit in my original post. It’s the station we are most likely to have on but do occasionally have Radio 6 Music on. We rarely listen to the radio in the car.

The future slip is typical in that it is very rare for there to be other people seen during the experience, unlike past slips.
I really like both of them.

But...

The first one (Littlewoods), why were the garments "strange"? Has fashion changed that much since 2002 that our clothes today are so removed from those of 2002? Aren't jeans still jeans, t-shirts still t-shirts and bras still bras? Also, Littlewoods were hardly a high-end retailer so did they not sell items for £1 - £3 in 2002? Without the witness willing to provide her identity then I feel a bit cautious about this one, a little too good to be true, perhaps?

We actually think it was probably Boom radio. I can’t be sure so didn’t commit in my original post. It’s the station we are most likely to have on but do occasionally have Radio 6 Music on. We rarely listen to the radio in the car.
The Boom show on at that time on the 24th was John's Jukebox. I can't see a listen again for that date, but I guess you could contact him and ask if he read out any football scores?

https://www.boomradiouk.com/player/on-demand/johns-jukebox/

If it was 6 music then you can listen again on the Sounds app:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_6music

Of course, it may have been a radio transmission from either 26/09/21 finding you in the future or one from 01/10/22 finding you in the past...

I really like both of them.

But...

The first one (Littlewoods), why were the garments "strange"? Has fashion changed that much since 2002 that our clothes today are so removed from those of 2002? Aren't jeans still jeans, t-shirts still t-shirts and bras still bras? Also, Littlewoods were hardly a high-end retailer so did they not sell items for £1 - £3 in 2002? Without the witness willing to provide her identity then I feel a bit cautious about this one, a little too good to be true, perhaps?
I was thinking something similar but my thought was do Primark sell stuff for £1- £3?

It does say however, that she had ''several timewarp incidents that apparently showed her the way the department store would look in future'' so it would be helpful to hear the other cases too.

I was thinking something similar but my thought was do Primark sell stuff for £1- £3?

It does say however, that she had ''several timewarp incidents that apparently showed her the way the department store would look in future'' so it would be helpful to hear the other cases too.
Also Primark aren't shy in promoting their brand within their stores, so why didn't she know in 2002 it would become a Primark? The brand was in existence in the UK at that time:

https://www.theindustry.fashion/50-years-of-primark-key-milestones-in-the-history-of-a-retail-icon/

Just feel we need more flesh on the bone with this one....

Also Primark aren't shy in promoting their brand within their stores, so why didn't she know in 2002 it would become a Primark? The brand was in existence in the UK at that time:

https://www.theindustry.fashion/50-years-of-primark-key-milestones-in-the-history-of-a-retail-icon/

Just feel we need more flesh on the bone with this one....
Only when you get to the till or see people with bags. Not so much branding on the shop floor
1A5046F8-C82D-4C24-A974-54100831BE80.jpeg

I often walk through fields where I can get away from people (although you can never really get away from the bypass here - even if you can't see it, you can still hear it, and I often think how quiet and peaceful it would have been before it was built). But I was wondering if Farmers experience more 'strange events' than the rest of us as they often work alone in fields that have been worked on for many hundreds of years and we're told that time-slips are more likely to occur when you're aware of your surroundings but not engrossed in them too much.

Also of course farm building are often very old too, not that that in itself necessarily means anything, but put these two factors together and it just got me wondering.

I often walk through fields where I can get away from people (although you can never really get away from the bypass here - even if you can't see it, you can still hear it, and I often think how quiet and peaceful it would have been before it was built). But I was wondering if Farmers experience more 'strange events' than the rest of us as they often work alone in fields that have been worked on for many hundreds of years and we're told that time-slips are more likely to occur when you're aware of your surroundings but not engrossed in them too much.

Also of course farm building are often very old too, not that that in itself necessarily means anything, but put these two factors together and it just got me wondering.
It’s fiction but there’s a really great scene in the Living and the Dead where they pulled a modern car out of a Victorian field.

It’s fiction but there’s a really great scene in the Living and the Dead where they pulled a modern car out of a Victorian field.
That happens occasionally in a certain part of Australia.

Back