• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Fifth Loch Ness monster sighting of year as wake is spotted moving against current for seven minutes

After a quiet few months, it appears Nessie is back. A local resident has become the fifth person to have an official Loch Ness Monster sighting this year after spotting something moving against the current for over seven minutes.

View attachment 58505

According to The Official Loch Ness Monster Sightings Register this is the first official sighting since the last one was recorded in April. The incident, which took place on August 27, occurred at the northern tip of the loch.

Posting on the official website, keeper Gary Campbell, who has recorded over a thousand sightings, wrote: "A local resident was on the hill above Lochend when they saw a wake moving against prevailing currents from Lochend in the direction of Drumnadrochit.

"There was no visible cause of wake. The sighting lasted seven minutes and they took some video footage."

He then posted a clip from the video which shows the unusual wake but no object on the surface can be seen causing it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/fifth-loch-ness-monster-sighting-27891795

maximus otter
"M'mm?" Wonder if it could possibly have been an 'Otter,' maximus?:chuckle:

"M'mm?" Wonder if it could possibly have been an 'Otter,' maximus?:chuckle:

giphy.gif

maximus otter

An interesting article about early Loch Ness monster sighter Sandy Gray:
https://narratively.com/the-obsessi...sherman-who-discovered-the-loch-ness-monster/
It was while fishing on the loch, probably in 1930, that Sandy had another inexplicable encounter. He was with two other fishermen when they saw a large salmon leaping through the air toward their boat. It was unusual behavior that the experienced men had not seen in the loch before, and they agreed that the fish must have been being pursued by a large predator. As it approached the boat, the salmon disappeared below the surface. Another fisherman described a “terrible noise” and “a great commotion with spray flying everywhere.” Whatever was beneath the water created a wave about two and a half feet high and caused the boat to violently rock. The predator remained unseen, but the men were convinced it was the loch’s mysterious inhabitant.

Inverness newspaper The Northern Chronicle published a brief report of what seems to be this incident — although Sandy is not named — on August 27, 1930, under the headline “What Was It? A Strange Experience on Loch Ness.” This is the earliest-known newspaper report of an encounter with the mysterious creature in the loch. There was a brief flurry of local interest but the story did not make it outside of the Highlands, and the creature remained a local legend.

In October 1932, Sandy married Catherine Kennedy, the daughter of another Foyers aluminum worker. He moved out of the Bungalow into a recently built stone cottage with a prime view of the loch and its majestic backdrop of Highland fells, near Catherine’s family at a row of houses named Glenlia. Sandy and Catherine settled into a quiet life in their peaceful surroundings. Sandy continued to drive his bus around the loch and fish from his boat on its waters. Then, six months after his wedding, Sandy reported seeing the strange creature in the loch again. This sighting would turn his quiet life upside down and help change Foyers and the loch forever.

It was late May 1933, and Loch Ness was experiencing an early glimmer of summer, with lilac heather blooming across the craggy hillsides, the fresh scent of Scots pine hanging crisp in the air, and the warm sun casting a shimmering glow on the loch. Sandy was driving his bus along the shore road when he saw a large dark shape moving across the water’s surface. He tried to gauge its considerable speed as he jammed on the accelerator to match the object’s course along the loch, but he said he was “unable to overtake it.”

Sandy’s sighting was the first to be reported in newspapers beyond Inverness. The Aberdeen Press and Journal, in its headline on May 23, christened the mysterious creature the “Loch Ness ‘Monster’” — which would become its enduring name. And the newspaper’s report, along with others in the Scottish press, noted something else. Sandy Gray had not only seen the Loch Ness Monster: He was going to attempt to catch it.

I looks to me like a big fish that has sea weed wrapped round it's tail.

Looking at the colour of the skin it looks like a wels catfish

View attachment 59625
"When it first came up I’d say it was much longer and slender than any seal I’ve seen, I’m convinced it wasn’t a seal as it just seemed too slender and too long.”

Wels catfish are pretty bulky, long but not really slender & they’re also freshwater fish. Loch Long is a sea loch.

The wels catfish can survive in salt water (they are found in the Baltic and Caspian Sea), and the picture (to me) looks like the tail flicking out the water with seaweed attached.

The wels catfish can survive in salt water (they are found in the Baltic and Caspian Sea), and the picture (to me) looks like the tail flicking out the water with seaweed attached.
Is that possible? Does seaweed have the ability to stick, or to grow on a fish's skin, when considering that most marine life (fish wise) has a layer of slime on its surface. I've personally never seen or heard of seaweed attaching itself to a fish - except, maybe on a whale's skin, when Ocean life can attach itself on their longer voyages. And Kelp in itself is very slippery when wet.

Is that possible? Does seaweed have the ability to stick, or to grow on a fish's skin, when considering that most marine life (fish wise) has a layer of slime on its surface. I've personally never seen or heard of seaweed attaching itself to a fish - except, maybe on a whale's skin, when Ocean life can attach itself on their longer voyages. And Kelp in itself is very slippery when wet.
Well, it is either that or it is a plesiosaur, based on the scientific process of elimination.
:)

It looks like a frayed rope to me. Not seaweed.

It doesn't have to be stuck to its skin, it could have been floating on the surface and flicked up by the tail just as the photo was taken.

It looks like a frayed rope to me. Not seaweed.
I suppose it could be seaweed. . . but only if it's attached to an abandoned fishing net and managed to get it caught-up on the creatures tail end, which it could well have done!
Still leaves the bigger question of what exactly that creature is that is caught in that picture?

I suppose it could be seaweed. . . but only if it's attached to an abandoned fishing net and managed to get it caught-up on the creatures tail end, which it could well have done!
Still leaves the bigger question of what exactly that creature is that is caught in that picture?
It’s a sea loch & there are many types of fish found in it -

As you might expect in a sea loch, you can find cod, whiting, plaice, mackerel, skate, wrasse, pollack, spurdog, and many other species.

Also 2 seal species, porpoises & occasionally minke whales & bottlenose dolphins.

If you follow the link on the Loch Long sighting, there are 3 photos.

The third photo clearly shows some weed caught on something, possibly a dorsal fin of a dolphin or small whale. I'd say it's pretty clear that some free floating weed has caught on the creature rather than the weed growing on the creature.

Weed can grow on fish. I have seen video of a freshwater eel completely smothered in fine weed. However, that is not what I see in this picture.

I have spent a lot of time by, on, and in Loch Long. It is a long, narrow and deep sea loch: an inlet of the sea between mountains, not unlike a fjord. It is salt water.

Killer whales and other small to medium cetaceans are sometimes found around the west coast of Scotland, although I have never had the good fortune to see anything other than a small pod of dolphins, and a brief glimpse of a distant porpoise.

You do get otters along that coast, but the photos do not look like an otter.

It is unlikely to be a basking shark as these usually cruise at the surface and you see not only the dorsal fin but also the top of the tail fin.

There are congers in there (I've seen 'em) but they are bottom-dwelling creatures and would not break the surface in the way shown in the photo.

Solved!!!

Loch Ness monster mystery 'solved' by woman who 'knows exactly what it is'​

Sue Keogh believes that she knows what Nessie is after seeing the iconic 1934 picture.

A woman claims to have 'solved' one of Scotland's biggest mysteries and reckons she knows exactly what the Loch Ness monster is.
Sue Keogh, from Penrith, Australia, is adamant that she stumbled upon the truth behind Nessie after watching a documentary - and realised it looked exactly the same as the sock puppets her dad used to make.
Despite the famous water beast inspiring many theories and folklores in Scotland, the 60-year-old Australian is now certain that it is all an elaborate hoax.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/...ster-mystery-solved-28222338#comments-wrapper

I'm an old git, and I like fixing things.
Or rather, I like to think I can fix things and am fascinated when I see other skilled people fixing things.

Hence I like shows on TV such as Salvage Hunters: The Restorers and The Repair Shop.

In last night's episode of the latter, a chap came in with some old micron binoculars to be restored. He said they were his dad's and that he was entrusted with them by his dad to be a look out for some fauna spotting, when the son was but a lad.

And who was his dad? None other than Tim Dinsdale!

So they turned out to be the very pair Dinsdale used when he turned his rented 35mm camera on the water and captured the famed Dinsdale film.

I'm an old git, and I like fixing things.
Or rather, I like to think I can fix things and am fascinated when I see other skilled people fixing things.

Hence I like shows on TV such as Salvage Hunters: The Restorers and The Repair Shop.

In last night's episode of the latter, a chap came in with some old micron binoculars to be restored. He said they were his dad's and that he was entrusted with them by his dad to be a look out for some fauna spotting, when the son was but a lad.

And who was his dad? None other than Tim Dinsdale!

So they turned out to be the very pair Dinsdale used when he turned his rented 35mm camera on the water and captured the famed Dinsdale film.

You should change those old batteries in your telly.

;)

maximus otter

I don't know which is more sad, that the woman actually said this out loud, or that someone said, 'yeah, feck it, print it.'

The Surgeon's Photo was debunked as a hoax a long time ago. No shadow play necessary.
Exactly.
I thought someone close to the "surgeon" had confessed to faking it with some plastic strapped to the back of a 1930's tinplate toy submarine.
Rather like this mock-up:

nessie.png

I am unable to copy and paste the text, but at the link below is a complaint letter from a “J.M., Glasgow”, who describes himself as “…a filmmaker directing a new documentary about the search for the LNM…”

JM complains that he was allowed by the estate of Tim Dinsdale to borrow and process six reels of Dinsdale’s unseen footage, that he arranged for UPS to collect the reels from Dinsdale’s address for delivery to a processing lab, and that UPS lost the irreplaceable reels which remained unaccounted for for a total of 45 days.

Only after JM involved the Daily Telegraph newspaper in the matter did the missing reels reappear, with no explanation being offered for either their loss or their recovery.

Full details:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph-your-money/20221105/281758453242451

Sloppy business practices, or is there something that they don’t want us to see…?

maximus otter

Back