• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cheeky / Unusual Funerals & Interments

'only' $500? I'd do iy for a tenner and pint of Best.

'For only £10 I will come to your funeral and stand aside, belching and farting, dressed in a battered cycle helmet and hi-viz Lycra leggings, with absurdly baggy waterproof overshorts (no matter what is the actual weather). So that your friends and relatives will wonder for ever, with which Dark Secret you went to the next world!'

All I'd need to do is quick detour on my regular ride.

Cheap at twice the price!

Man gets to go to 'Creamfields' festival, after death.

"A celebration of a music fan's life at a festival unexpectedly ended with an "unforgettable tribute" when his ashes were fired from a confetti cannon.

Stuart Mitchell's family sold his Creamfields tickets to help fund his funeral after he died in July.

They asked the buyers, Ryan and Liam Millen, to scatter some of his ashes at the site so he could go one last time.

The cousins said they were "astounded" when organisers suggested firing the ashes out during the DJ's headline act."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-58409876

'only' $500? I'd do iy for a tenner and pint of Best.

'For only £10 I will come to your funeral and stand aside, belching and farting, dressed in a battered cycle helmet and hi-viz Lycra leggings, with absurdly baggy waterproof overshorts (no matter what is the actual weather). So that your friends and relatives will wonder for ever, with which Dark Secret you went to the next world!'

All I'd need to do is quick detour on my regular ride.

Just so long as it's not at this cemetery:
cemetery.jpg

Wait a doggone minute. She's putting the gag into the gig economy. How the hell are you supposed to know when your own funeral will be held, so that you can make the appropriate arrangements with her? On the other hand, even if anyone does book, her clients aren't exactly going to know whether or not she actually turned up.

Wait a doggone minute. She's putting the gag into the gig economy. How the hell are you supposed to know when your own funeral will be held, so that you can make the appropriate arrangements with her? On the other hand, even if anyone does book, her clients aren't exactly going to know whether or not she actually turned up.
It is possible (at least in the USA) to leave a legally actionable set of funeral / interment specifications to be followed when you die. The problem, of course, is arranging things so that the documented requirements are known to exist and are made available for notification / execution immediately upon your death. To some extent this can be ensured by pre-planning with a funeral home. However, mortuaries aren't known for being amenable to stunts.

The woman's services are being marketed in a way that makes it difficult for the imminent deceased and / or anyone acting on his / her behalf to contract for her service when the need arises.

It would probably be smarter (from a marketing perspective) to advertise her service so as to target friends and / or family members who wish to sponsor a stunt outside the scope of implementing the deceased's plans (or lack thereof).

I'm willing to bet there are more people who'd pay to make a scene at someone else's funeral than folks willing to set up and trust any pre-planned / pre-paid service associated with their own funeral.

The customer arranges it with her and then gives their chosen funeral director the details. Most people have an idea in advance which undertaker will be chosen.

Former York City football pitch dug up to retrieve fans ashes.

"A pitch at a former football ground is being dug up in an effort to find caskets containing the ashes of several of the club's fans buried there.

York City's Bootham Crescent was sold for redevelopment when the club moved to a new stadium earlier this year.

Archaeologists are now searching for 15 small caskets buried underneath the pitch so they can be relocated before houses are built on the ground.

Seven have so far been located, but the others have yet to be found."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-58966626

Pfft, amateurs. Here in Cheshire we know how to do it RIGHT.

Howzat for a send-off?

A CRICKET club owner has been buried next to the scoreboard at his beloved Haslington ground.

Mike Trevor, of Fields Road, Haslington, was buried at the club he has run for more than 20 years on Friday following a funeral which family and friends say was more like a wedding.

Sam Trevor, son of 70-year-old Mike, said his dad had the day he wanted.

"It was unbelievable," said 39-year-old Sam. "A couple of people turned round and said it was the best funeral they'd ever been to and that it was more like a wedding. We wanted it to be celebration of his life and it was."

Sam said his dad decided he wanted to be buried at the cricket club two and a half years ago when he was first diagnosed with cancer.

Various checks with officials, including the environment agency, then had to be taken before permission was granted.

The funeral was held at the Clay Lane club and then Mike was taken in a horse drawn hearse to his final resting place - next to the score board.

"It was incredible about 500 people attended," said Sam. "We'd only catered for 200 but we managed. We'd just like to really thank everyone who turned up."

Some of those who attended had flown in from as far away as Canada. Others came from Scotland and Ireland.

They all took part in the celebration of Mike's life which was led by his widow, Pauline, elder son Michael, 44, and his wife Melanie and daughter Louise, together with Sam, his wife Nicky and their son Oli.

In keeping with Mike's wishes, there was a big celebration followed by a hog roast. "Again, that was just what he wanted," added Sam.

Pfft, amateurs. Here in Cheshire we know how to do it RIGHT.

Howzat for a send-off?
When our neighbour died of cancer a few years back,she left clear and precise step by step instructions what she wanted done with her ashes. A year later we all got together in a freezing cold winter garden, with hot food and cold drink and partied as her ashes were sent skyward in firework rockets. She is suitably spread over the town and beyond.

Last edited:
Jealousy does not become me,
but what the hell
:freak::headbang:

It's a bit of a tangent, but I attended the funeral of the father of some very old friends the other day.

I had but a small window to get there and back so I took my motorbike.

I was making rapid progress as far as the relatively large town where the service was to be held, and I quickly filtered through the heavy, mid morning traffic. On taking the turn off for the church, I suddenly realised, the heavy traffic I had just encountered was because of the funeral!
I halted my charge two cars back from the family who were now walking behind the hearse.

Walking pace on the 150bhp, 1000cc inline four is no picnic. Constant clutching and dragging the rear brake meant I was sweating five minutes into a 20 minute cortege passage. Though I was entirely turned out in black, there was still quite a bit of rubbernecking from the rest of the cortege, no doubt with many asking, "who is that mysterious rider?"

I'm sure they were disappointed when we arrived at the church and with helmet removed, I turned out to be middle aged, beardie chap what knows some of the family.

It's a bit of a tangent, but I attended the funeral of the father of some very old friends the other day.

I had but a small window to get there and back so I took my motorbike.

I was making rapid progress as far as the relatively large town where the service was to be held, and I quickly filtered through the heavy, mid morning traffic. On taking the turn off for the church, I suddenly realised, the heavy traffic I had just encountered was because of the funeral!
I halted my charge two cars back from the family who were now walking behind the hearse.

Walking pace on the 150bhp, 1000cc inline four is no picnic. Constant clutching and dragging the rear brake meant I was sweating five minutes into a 20 minute cortege passage. Though I was entirely turned out in black, there was still quite a bit of rubbernecking from the rest of the cortege, no doubt with many asking, "who is that mysterious rider?"

I'm sure they were disappointed when we arrived at the church and with helmet removed, I turned out to be middle aged, beardie chap what knows some of the family.
Family legend has it that one of my great-grandfathers - probably this one - was once running late for a funeral. He crammed the family into the double-adult sidecar, and set off. He knew they were going to miss the chapel service, but he reckoned they'd make it to the committal at the crematorium. Apparently, he gracefully joined the back of the cortege just as it was departing from the chapel, and followed it all the way. Trouble was, when they arrived, he found it was the wrong cortege, the wrong crematorium, and the wrong deceased...

When our neighbour died of cancer a few years back,she left clear and precise step by step instructions what she wanted done with her ashes. A year later we all got together in a freezing cold winter garden, with hot food and cold drink and partied as her ashes were sent skyward in firework rockets. She is suitably spread over the town and beyond.
Excellent choice.

This thread seems incomplete without this:

German students held a funeral ceremony and buried the skeleton that had been used for instructional purposes at their secondary school for circa 70 years.
Peace at last: German students bury classroom skeleton

Students at a high school in the western German town of Schleiden on Wednesday buried a longtime member of their community — a classroom skeleton that had served as an educational specimen for generations of pupils.

Around 80 students, teachers and town officials took part in the ceremony ... , where the bones of the unknown woman were buried in a small coffin featuring symbols of all major world religions. ...

The skeleton, dubbed Anh Bian — Vietnamese for “mysterious peace” — had been in the school’s biology department since 1952.

Students had for years years pushed for the woman’s remains to be buried, but plans to do so were delayed by the pandemic ...

The school hopes eventually to learn more about the origins of the skeleton once the results of DNA samples taken from the bones are returned.

Biology lessons are now conducted using a plastic model.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-religion-education-biology-e7734fbff8ab18d687f3b7c1763bd80c

Reminds me of the skeleton we had at my school. It had no skull, but we had a plastic one.
I often wondered about the origin of that skeleton. It seemed so bizarre to have a real skeleton in a classroom.

It was common, I think, for schools to have skeletons in the classroom, even before there were biology labs. They certainly feature in old films of classroom life, often with younger children!

My Catholic Grammar School had one in the lab, where she silently attended every biology lesson. She may have welcomed the occasional end-of-term break, when berserk sixth-formers would abduct her and run her up the flagpole, like the Jolly Roger! No such vacations were afforded to "Hillary's Sin," a human foetus, dreaming away the dark days in a formaldehyde jar, on a shelf in the cupboard. The dare-game of "sniff the foetus" was carried out at least once, to my certain knowledge; it was very like formaldehyde.

We had no name for the skeleton; probably, she would not have understood our language. One of our teachers informed us that she was was young, female and from the Philippines. A trophy of the wars in the Pacific? The foetus had no history, apart from our lurid conjectures, that the biology laboratory had a sideline in terminations! :(

Last edited:
For those with a sense of humour, this is great...

ouijafuneral.jpg

Cheeky grandmother has ouija boards given out at her funeral so people can stay 'in touch'​

A cheeky grandmother has ensured ouija boards were distributed to all her loved ones attending her funeral.
Gracie Perryman received the ultimate parting gift from her grandmother Jodie after attending her farewell in Breckenridge, Texas.
Jodie, who died of cancer at age 81, had quite the sense of humour, according to her granddaughter.
So it’s no surprise that each guest received a card bearing an ouija board with the words 'Let's keep in touch!'.

And if that wasn't legendary enough, the brazen grandma also included a photo of herself with her tongue out while she put up her middle fingers.
https://www.ladbible.com/news/iconic-grandmother-has-ouija-boards-given-out-at-her-funeral-20221020

That old dear had a sense of humour!

Murdered cartel boss ‘El Fatal’ buried with hundreds of guns to protect him ‘in the afterlife’

A murdered Ecuadorian cartel boss known as “El Fatal” was buried with hundreds of pistols, shotguns and rifles in his coffin so he could be “armed to the teeth in the afterlife.”

Julian Sevillano, the 39-year-old reputed leader of “Los Fatales,” was with his 20-year-old daughter getting a regular car wash in Moroche last Wednesday when they were suddenly ambushed by gunmen.

Both were killed in a hail of more than a dozen shots blamed on members of a rival gang.

Sevillano’s relatives refused to leave the bodies for local police, however, instead whisking them away for a massive funeral the next day.

NYPICHPDPICT000039786044.jpg

Now-viral images show Sevillano in an open casket as people rush to fill it with high-caliber weapons — reportedly so that he would be “armed to the teeth in the afterlife and could defend himself.”

Ecuadorian police and soldiers stood guard amid rumors of potential retaliation and ongoing violence.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/19/ecuadorian-cartel-boss-buried-with-hundreds-of-guns/

maximus otter

A mate of ours wants his body floated out onto Morecambe bay to be set fire to by A flaming arrow. I suggested that the Council may not to for that.

Back