• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Actually not entirely bizarre.
In an enclosed environment with little ventilation the levels of carbon dioxide exhaled would quickly (relatively) build up.
And estimates of available oxygen in an average sized (UK) bedroom, and average respiration rates, indicate that an average person would start struggling to breathe properly at any point after about 3.9 days, and by about day 12 there would likely not be enough oxygen to survive any longer.
Now that is probably a bit longer than people would expect, but that is based on averages, so you could easily imagine the extreme ends of the data being shortened somewhat if you account for, maybe, smaller rooms, more than 1 person in the room, 'heavy' breathing, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Actually not entirely bizarre.
In an enclosed environment with little ventilation the levels of carbon dioxide exhaled would quickly (relatively) build up.
And estimates of available oxygen in an average sized (UK) bedroom, and average respiration rates, indicate that an average person would start struggling to breathe properly at any point after about 3.9 days, and by about day 12 there would likely not be enough oxygen to survive any longer.
Now that is probably a bit longer than people would expect, but that is based on averages, so you could easily imagine the extreme ends of the data being shortened somewhat if you account for, maybe, smaller rooms, more than 1 person in the room, 'heavy' breathing, etc.
I'd have thought dehydration after 3.9 days would pretty much do it.

I'd have thought dehydration after 3.9 days would pretty much do it.
Yes you'd think so but it isn't always the case as it depends what you're doing and how warm it is as to whether or not you perspire excessively or not.
My dad went for several days without water before he carked it.
(No he wasn't stuck in a sealed room or elevator etc, he was in the hospital on 'end-of-life' care after his 'swallow' reflex failed - 87 with vascular dementia, done for him a few years ago)

Yes you'd think so but it isn't always the case as it depends what you're doing and how warm it is as to whether or not you perspire excessively or not.
My dad went for several days without water before he carked it.
(No he wasn't stuck in a sealed room or elevator etc, he was in the hospital on 'end-of-life' care after his 'swallow' reflex failed - 87 with vascular dementia, done for him a few years ago)
It also depends on whether you resort to drinking your own urine.

H&S are quite keen I don't get stuck in the lift with the dry ice sacks (CO2 pellets) or a liquid nitrogen dewar (volume expansion ~ x 700). Don't know why they're worried now as they never used to give a monkey's.

Maybe the lifts are no longer covered by their insurance due to their age and lack of maintenance?

H&S are quite keen I don't get stuck in the lift with the dry ice sacks (CO2 pellets) or a liquid nitrogen dewar (volume expansion ~ x 700). Don't know why they're worried now as they never used to give a monkey's.
But it's great fun to push a dewar into the lift, engage the "Do No tEnter" tapes, and then send it on its way, only to hear somebody grumbling loudly on another landing because they can't use the lift!

Disclaimer: not really scary but it was driving me potty.

I'd changed Son No 2's bedding a couple of weeks ago and dumped it all in the wash basket, from whence the In-House GP put it through the washing machine. When I came to doing the ironing, I realised that one of the pillowcases - the one that matches the duvet - wasn't there. I just assumed it had been a big load, and the case had been left for the next week's wash, but when I did the ironing last week, the pillowcase was still AWOL. I went back and checked the bedding pile int he airing cupboard in case my memory was playing tricks on me - nothing. I pulled the duvet cover out of the pile and felt around it carefully, wondering if somehow the pillow case had slipped inside during the wash and miraculously ironed flat by me - nope. It eventually struck me that the wash basket has an inner lining; had the missing item managed to fall down between the liner and the basket. I went and pulled the liner out but couldn't see anything; it was rather dim in the bathroom, so I turned the light on to double-double-check, and YES! There was the pillowcase right at the bottom. I hadn't been able to see it in the dim light because the colour and the visible pattern meant it blended quite nicely with the wickerwork.

I COULD claim that the house elves were messing with me, hiding the dirty laundry, but on this occasion I'll just chalk it up to a quirk of the space-time continuum that allowed the pillow case to fall behind the liner and get pushed to the bottom of the basket. :D

Disclaimer: not really scary but it was driving me potty.

I'd changed Son No 2's bedding a couple of weeks ago and dumped it all in the wash basket, from whence the In-House GP put it through the washing machine. When I came to doing the ironing, I realised that one of the pillowcases - the one that matches the duvet - wasn't there. I just assumed it had been a big load, and the case had been left for the next week's wash, but when I did the ironing last week, the pillowcase was still AWOL. I went back and checked the bedding pile int he airing cupboard in case my memory was playing tricks on me - nothing. I pulled the duvet cover out of the pile and felt around it carefully, wondering if somehow the pillow case had slipped inside during the wash and miraculously ironed flat by me - nope. It eventually struck me that the wash basket has an inner lining; had the missing item managed to fall down between the liner and the basket. I went and pulled the liner out but couldn't see anything; it was rather dim in the bathroom, so I turned the light on to double-double-check, and YES! There was the pillowcase right at the bottom. I hadn't been able to see it in the dim light because the colour and the visible pattern meant it blended quite nicely with the wickerwork.

I COULD claim that the house elves were messing with me, hiding the dirty laundry, but on this occasion I'll just chalk it up to a quirk of the space-time continuum that allowed the pillow case to fall behind the liner and get pushed to the bottom of the basket. :D
You iron clothes? Since I retired, I think I have ironed clothes only once for a funeral. I found not having to iron is just wonderful.

I have sometimes, rarely, lost pillowcases doing the washing and drying at home. Some never were found. I can understand the disappearing socks thing, but the pillowcases are bigger.

I've got an iron somewhere.
Mostly stuff comes out of the dryer and gets left in the 'basket' until I can be arsed to tip it out, fold it, and bung it in the drawer.

I have quit folding underwear and socks before putting them away in the drawer. I am quite the rebel.

In my childhood, my mother and aunts ironed sheets, pillowcases, kitchen towels, underwear....

I have quit folding underwear and socks before putting them away in the drawer. I am quite the rebel.

In my childhood, my mother and aunts ironed sheets, pillowcases, kitchen towels, underwear....
I only discovered ironing pants was not normal when I went to uni and was ironing them on the board in the communal kitchen.

I had grown up with a mother who ironed everything and put things away before you had a chance to put them on/use them. That and hoovering every other day.

You iron clothes? Since I retired, I think I have ironed clothes only once for a funeral. I found not having to iron is just wonderful.

I have sometimes, rarely, lost pillowcases doing the washing and drying at home. Some never were found. I can understand the disappearing socks thing, but the pillowcases are bigger.
We've had this conversation before. @bugmum will not be converted to our non-ironing cause.

Come the revolution, brothers...

Appropriate use for ironing board on halloween.

1667208691802.png

When I was a young kid, about 5 or 6, I had a bizarre fear of low levels of oxygen in my bedroom whilst I was asleep. I figured that if the door and windows were shut how did the oxygen which I was using up during breathing get replenished. Wouldn't it eventually get completely exhausted and then what? So after my Mum had said goodnight and closed the doors and window I would push the door slightly ajar. When I told her the reason my Mum said something along the lines of don't be so daft but she let me keep the window slightly open anyway. I now realise my worry was completely unfounded but to this day I am still a fresh air fiend I will always sleep with the window slightly open even in the depths of winter. I know there is nothing I can do about it but I also dislike those sealed windows which cannot be opened in modern office blocks and hotels.
That's some advanced thinking for a 6 year old!

Appropriate use for ironing board on halloween.

View attachment 60340
That's funny. Woke up one night last week in the early hours somewhat disorientated. Large figure standing against the bedroom wall, wearing a helmet, antenna and a strange floral uniform with no arms.

Me: What's that?
Ms Me: What now?
Me: There's someone in the room
Ms Me: Where?
Me: There (pointing)
Ms Me: It's the ironing board.
Me: Ah, (hearing eyes rolling but keeping close eye on the intruder)

Stupid place to leave an ironing board anyway and I have my suspicions it was left there deliberately to scare a pensioner.

That's funny. Woke up one night last week in the early hours somewhat disorientated. Large figure standing against the bedroom wall, wearing a helmet, antenna and a strange floral uniform with no arms.

Me: What's that?
Ms Me: What now?
Me: There's someone in the room
Ms Me: Where?
Me: There (pointing)
Ms Me: It's the ironing board.
Me: Ah, (hearing eyes rolling but keeping close eye on the intruder)

Stupid place to leave an ironing board anyway and I have my suspicions it was left there deliberately to scare a pensioner.
What happened to 'extreme ironing' ? Now that was a great sport.

Back