• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Medical Mysteries, Bizarre Cases

Man almost loses tip of his penis after trapped pubic hairs 'matted and formed a tight ring' around his glans

A man nearly lost part of his penis after pubic hair got caught around his tip and cut off its blood supply.

Medics claim the uncircumcised man's ordeal — which has left him with a deformed member — could have been avoided if he washed properly.

The 57-year-old, who wasn't named, 'rarely' retracted his foreskin to clean, according to the Australian urologists who treated him.

He also urinated sitting down, meaning that the build-up of hair that collected under his foreskin went unnoticed.

Surgeons described the hairs as being 'matted together' and having formed a 'tight ring' under his glans — the head of the penis.

The man, from Geelong, Victoria, was in pain for a fortnight before seeking help. He also had a swollen glans.

After pulling back his foreskin they found the mass of hairs tied around the penis just below the head, strangling its width to just 0.4 inches (1cm) in diameter.

Hospital doctors described the man — who suffered from anxiety, depression, type 2 diabetes and hypertension — as being 'unkempt'. [A new entry in the "Understatement of the Year" competition... M.O.]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ped-pubic-hairs-matted-formed-tight-ring.html

More gooey details of medical treatment vs. human stupidity at link.

maximus otter
STRUTH!

We are a weird mob...utterly

37-year-old Indonesian man shoved a two-metre long nylon string into his penis

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...stuck-penis-masturbation-game-gone-wrong.html
No I do not want a detailed explanation for my question. It is merely WTF? How would someone get a string up there? Despite having an erection, the string isn't aroused:omg:.

And the article itself provides a two fer. There is another mention of a man getting 6 kidney beans stuck. Now the method of how that happened is quite within my range of imagination:roll:.

Why Are Hundreds of Grand Canyon Tourists Suddenly Getting Sick?

While hiking in Grand Canyon National Park, Kristi Key came across a concerning site: four hikers resting on the side of the trail, looking a little worse for wear. After learning that two of the hikers had spent the previous night violently vomiting, Key offered to call a rescue team, but the group declined. But when she saw them sitting in the same spot on her return trip, with one of the hikers still vomiting, she knew it was time to call for help.

Eventually, a chopper showed up, flying the nausea-stricken man to safety. But the experience stuck with Key, who has hiked hundreds of miles in the Grand Canyon and never come across hikers whose illness was unrelated to dehydration or heat—until now. After a once-healthy member of the unlucky group fell ill later that day, Key began to suspect that a virus was to blame.

Key is not alone in her tale of woe, as the Grand Canyon National Park is currently experiencing an outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness that closely resembles norovirus, a disease that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, body aches, and mild fever. According to the CDC, norovirus is “very contagious” and anybody can get infected—the disease can be spread through direct contact with an infected person, contact with a contaminated surface, or ingestion of contaminated food or drink. While the symptoms can become intensely unpleasant, norovirus rarely leads to death or serious illness.

As of June 10, the park knew of 118 people who had become sick with a gastrointestinal virus. The infections have spanned 16 different trips on the Colorado River and in the backcountry.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-hundreds-grand-canyon-tourists-180339241.html

maximus otter

Why Are Hundreds of Grand Canyon Tourists Suddenly Getting Sick?

While hiking in Grand Canyon National Park, Kristi Key came across a concerning site: four hikers resting on the side of the trail, looking a little worse for wear. After learning that two of the hikers had spent the previous night violently vomiting, Key offered to call a rescue team, but the group declined. But when she saw them sitting in the same spot on her return trip, with one of the hikers still vomiting, she knew it was time to call for help.

Eventually, a chopper showed up, flying the nausea-stricken man to safety. But the experience stuck with Key, who has hiked hundreds of miles in the Grand Canyon and never come across hikers whose illness was unrelated to dehydration or heat—until now. After a once-healthy member of the unlucky group fell ill later that day, Key began to suspect that a virus was to blame.

Key is not alone in her tale of woe, as the Grand Canyon National Park is currently experiencing an outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness that closely resembles norovirus, a disease that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, cramping, body aches, and mild fever. According to the CDC, norovirus is “very contagious” and anybody can get infected—the disease can be spread through direct contact with an infected person, contact with a contaminated surface, or ingestion of contaminated food or drink. While the symptoms can become intensely unpleasant, norovirus rarely leads to death or serious illness.

As of June 10, the park knew of 118 people who had become sick with a gastrointestinal virus. The infections have spanned 16 different trips on the Colorado River and in the backcountry.

https://news.yahoo.com/why-hundreds-grand-canyon-tourists-180339241.html

maximus otter
I have never been here and don’t know the area, but does the park have any washroom facilities or a rest area that people either start or end their hikes? A place to dispose of garbage? They are, presumably, following known trails set up throughout the park. Despite it having areas described as “backcountry” which only means more rugged and wild terrain, hikes start and end somewhere.

Man’s genitals started whistling when lungs collapsed and air escaped through his scrotum

Medics described what happened in the American Journal of Case Reports, saying they believed it to be the first case of its kind.

This happened because the man had undergone surgery in the area several months previously, and a wound remained where air could escape.

The man, 72, spent three days in hospital where doctors steadily released the air trapped inside his body.
There have been rare incidences of air building up in the scrotum before, but never involving whistling.

The paper concluded: ‘Our case of pneumoscrotum [scotal whistling] from suspected spontaneous bilateral pneumothoraces [collapsed lungs] was unusual.

‘Our patient had an open scrotal wound from a recent scrotal procedure, which allowed the air to escape from his abdominal compartment, and resulted in his concern of “scrotal whistling.”

He was successfully treated with multiple chest tubes, subcutaneous air drains, and supportive care.’

And then this happened...

I only realised my nipple had broken off when my baby boy was choking on it!​

When her son suddenly stopped feeding, Brooke looked down to find her nipple in his mouth... but not attached to her body.
When Brooke was feeding her son and he stopped suddenly, she looked down to see what the problem was.
He was choking on... her nipple... that had fallen off.

"My nipple broke off and he had it in his mouth," she said in a viral TikTok that had so far amassed over 1.7 million views.

"That was the last day I ever breastfed that child, I will never breastfeed again."
https://www.kidspot.com.au/news/i-o...t/news-story/dd604d1ba5695eb05d21431047c9f1c2

I only realised my nipple had broken off when my baby boy was choking on it!

When her son suddenly stopped feeding, Brooke looked down to find her nipple in his mouth... but not attached to her body.
:omg:

Is the mother an undead zombie - desiccated and brittle?
:thought:

Scientists research man missing 90% of his brain who leads a normal life​

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...f-his-brain-who-leads-a-normal-life-1.3679125
When a 44-year-old man from France started experiencing weakness in his leg, he went to the hospital. That's when doctors told him he was missing most of his brain. The man's skull was full of liquid, with just a thin layer of brain tissue left. The condition is known as hydrocephalus.

It is so stunning a case of the brain's ability to adapt.- Cognitive psychologist Axel Cleeremans
"He was living a normal life. He has a family. He works. His IQ was tested at the time of his complaint. This came out to be 84, which is slightly below the normal range … So, this person is not bright — but perfectly, socially apt," explains Axel Cleeremans.

Scientists research man missing 90% of his brain who leads a normal life​

"He was living a normal life. He has a family. He works. His IQ was tested at the time of his complaint. This came out to be 84, which is slightly below the normal range … So, this person is not bright — but perfectly, socially apt," explains Axel Cleeremans.
The psychologist is slightly patronizing with this quote.

I am quite interested in the new theory of the plasticity of the brain. Much better model than seeing it solely as mechanical. The plasticity model, I think, opens up a better way of studying how the brain functions.

A Reddit 'Ask Me Anything' with a woman born with two vaginas:

She wants another baby and supposedly has to use the opposite side as incubator, but is rethinking as she can't have orgasm? WTF? Orgasm has nothing to do with having another baby. Either she wants one, or she doesn't.

This seems to be a person who just wants attention. Yes I know it's Twatter, but stupid people as well.

Following the story of the woman with two vaginas now comes...

Man with a ‘penis on his face’ has life transformed after chance meeting​

A man who spent six years with what looked like a penis on his face had his nose transformed after a chance meeting.
A chance meeting changed the life of Conrado Estrada who spent six years with a debilitating condition. His surgeon, Dr Thomas Romo, 62, tells the incredible story.
I’d hired a man Conrado Estrada to paint my house and with a single glance I could see there was something wrong with his face.

It looks like there’s a penis on his nose, I thought, approaching him.

But, on closer inspection, I realised that I’d seen this condition before.

By chance, I’m the director of facial plastic reconstructive surgery in a hospital in the US and I knew that this man had a skin condition called rhinophyma, a progressive condition that causes thickened, pimpled and pitted skin at the tip of the nose due to enlarged oil glands. And this man’s case looked severe.

His nose had grown so bulbous and long that it covered his mouth and reached all the way down to his bottom lip.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...g/news-story/fc360b855bbb81420998e847fa410f41

Woman dies after rare ‘stone baby’ left inside her for 9 years

A WOMAN has died of severe malnutrition after a so-called ‘stone baby’ was found to be blocking her intestines.

The rare condition saw the 50-year-old Congolese woman carry around a calcified foetus, called a lithopedion, in her body for nine years.

The unnamed refugee, who had only just arrived to the US, visited a hospital complaining of stomach cramps, indigestion and a gurgling sensation after eating.

Scans soon revealed a dead 28-week old foetus lodged in her lower abdomen which was pressing on her bowel.

However, the woman refused surgery to have the mass removed saying she did "not have it in my heart to do".

Writing in the Journal of Medical Case Reports, doctors said the patient believed her health condition was related to a “spell” that someone in Tanzania had cast on her.

According to a 1996 paper in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, only 290 cases of lithopedion have ever been documented by medical literature.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/21646375/woman-dies-stone-baby/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithopedion

maximus otter

Back