• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Small leaves lie in the remains of tiny puddles on the metro platform.
Three hypotheses:
or
4: Someone with way too much time on their hands and the desire to make people wonder why leaves are in tiny puddles is going around placing leaves in tiny puddles.

Three hypotheses:
1) The small puddles are caused by water that is caught under the leaf.
2) The puddles are caused by small valleys in the asphalt. Both water and leaves are caught there.
3) The puddles formed first, and randomly blowing leaves are caught there.
4) ...
View attachment 58122View attachment 58123View attachment 58124
I notice this in our garden, but on paving slabs that, unlike asphalt and concrete are totally flat, so I would go with #1.

Three hypotheses:
1) The small puddles are caused by water that is caught under the leaf.
2) The puddles are caused by small valleys in the asphalt. Both water and leaves are caught there.
3) The puddles formed first, and randomly blowing leaves are caught there.
4) ...
View attachment 58122View attachment 58123View attachment 58124
Maybe they were extra wet after somebody had stood on them - which seems fitting for it being as it's on a platform, or even squashed on to a flatter surface?

So I step out of the metro and I see a lady going out holding this book. I took too long deciding to speak to her or not, and she was gone. It's likely I was the only one in the whole area who had ever heard of pataphysics:

I thought I’d stick this one on here. (Probably my favourite thread btw)

A few weeks back we were on holiday in Portugal, and Mrs DT got chatting to a woman who was holiday with her 16 years old daughter. Mrs DT really got on well with this lady, so we spent most of our time in her company – pool side drinks, lunch, dinners, nights out etc. I’ll call her Anne.

Anne is in her mid-fifties and a single mum, and since her divorce a few ago she has been on the online dating circuits without any success. God knows why though as Anne is a stunningly beautiful woman both in looks and personality, and I personally can’t get my head around the fact why someone so obviously downright attractive has to resort to the online dating – but that’s none of my business of course.

Anyway, for the past few months Anne has been tinder chatting to a guy from Cardiff , who by chance was on holiday at an apartment block just 2 miles from where we were staying, and he had requested a date. Anne asked for our advice and we both said she should go for it, but we should act as chaperones.

On the evening of the date, we turn up at this bar / restaurant and Anne sits down with drinks with this chap with Mrs DT and I sitting at a nearby table. After about an hour Anne comes over to our table and asks me if I wouldn’t mind having a few beers with the guy and to tell her what I think of him - I didn’t mind, so I bought a couple of beers and sat down with him.

I have to say he came across as a very decent bloke. He had a good sense of humour, was down to earth and polite, and very well groomed for someone in his mid-50’s. invariably, the conversation turned onto football, and he said that he was a Leyton Orient fan (I’m a lifelog Orient fan). I didn’t mention to him that I was an Orient fan and meeting a man who was born and raised in Cardiff that’s the last thing I expected.

I asked him what his connection to east London was and he said he didn’t know. All he knows is that him and his brothers were raised as Orient fans, as was his dad and Grandad.

What a strange coincidence. And if you are wondering, Anne very much hit it off and the Welsh Orient fan, and they had their 3rd date on Saturday.

Sometime I think that us being on holiday in Portugal at that time, we wasn't part of a bigger plan if you know what I mean.

A weird coincidence (?) discovered yesterday. Tinkering about with my car I sometimes disconnect the battery and when I come to reconnect, the computer always without fail reverts the date to 20th February 2003 even though the car was only built in late 2008. The date always seemed to be weirdly familiar to me. Yesterday it did exactly the same and in a flash of inspiration I looked at my pocket diary for 2003 ( yes I have kept them for a number of years). The events of 20/2/03 set in motion a train of events which even now haunt me occasionally. If I had a time machine with a one use only, that would be the date I would choose to go back to and alter the future. Bloody cars and their stupid electrickery. :chuckle:

The events of 20/2/03 set in motion a train of events which even now haunt me occasionally. If I had a time machine with a one use only, that would be the date I would choose to go back to and alter the future.
Oh do come on.......you can't tease with two lines like that. We need at least some little more info, even if you only make something up!

Oh do come on.......you can't tease with two lines like that. We need at least some little more info, even if you only make something up!
Nope. In part covered in previous posts about my experiences in the early 2000's. Don't want to repeat cos it's boring for others.

Nope. In part covered in previous posts about my experiences in the early 2000's. Don't want to repeat cos it's boring for others.
I might go back and look at some of your previous posts then, if curiosity really gets the better of me.
In the meantime I'm going to imagine you ran a Bolivian bootlegging ring, smuggling illegally distilled 'Singani' across the border into Paraguay, before getting caught and then escaping, going on the run through Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, having a series of mad-cap adventures and escapades, in the style of Herge's "Tintin".
1666173370196.png

I might go back and look at some of your previous posts then, if curiosity really gets the better of me.
In the meantime I'm going to imagine you ran a Bolivian bootlegging ring, smuggling illegally distilled 'Singani' across the border into Paraguay, before getting caught and then escaping, going on the run through Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile, having a series of mad-cap adventures and escapades, in the style of Herge's "Tintin".
View attachment 59964
No, that's @SimonBurchell.

View attachment 59964
No it wasn't Bolivian, as I continually tell people.

Coincidences abound.

Mate in London messaged me out of the blue this morning asking me questions about being an extra. He's apparently just signed up to a casting agency.

3 hours later ...someone just booked an Airbnb room here for a few nights in November. Says he's an extra on a show being filmed around the corner. It's his first time.

Coincidences abound.

Mate in London messaged me out of the blue this morning asking me questions about being an extra. He's apparently just signed up to a casting agency.

3 hours later ...someone just booked an Airbnb room here for a few nights in November. Says he's an extra on a show being filmed around the corner. It's his first time.
I think the Matrix recycles all our experiences. Must be the less expensive option. Just the other day my spouse and I took a day trip, using Apple's GPS car guidance system.... and he said he liked the "Apple Lady" for driving stuff. Just that moment, we passed a street called "Apple Lane." To further extend this idea into the acting/film world, in relation to your experience with "extras": I once read that when we first started designing CGI, that water was easy to get up and running in a program but that hair was difficult. (I recall reading that the movie "Shrek" was one of the first to "do" hair so that it appeared more real... so I wonder... water is abundant here on Earth and people tend to lose their hair into older years... maybe it's costs-savings from the Place That Beams Us Our Reality?

Minor coincidence.

Am off work today and decided to browse about on Iplayer for something to watch (I've not been on there for months). Footled about watching a bit of this and that, and then decided to have a look at David Wilson's Cold Cases, because I've seen a few of his things in the past and found them quite interesting.

So, on it goes, and he's talking about the Scottish police force using DNA advances to solve old cold cases - the particular case he started talking about...the body was discovered on the third of November, 1912.

I'm watching on the third of November, 2022.

Very minor, of course, but the tieing in of the dates pleased me.

There was a stramash here about a cat a few days ago. Someone found an apparently injured cat in the high street and called the SSPCA. The owner was furious as that cat is always in the high street and everyone knows the cat and everyone should know it is his and not to call the SSPCA. I have never seen a cat in the high street. Ducks, yes. Cats, no. Anyway, I was walking up the high street that day and saw the very cat (I assume from the description) running towards me. Haven't seen it since.

I was thinking about redheads earlier on this morning and checking the racing post I noted Sassy Redhead was going in the 2:25 at Chelmsford. Sure enough she won at odds of 11/1. I was a bit miffed as I had noted it but not acted on it. I have seen this name type occurrence in the past in relation to picking horses. It has always interested me on how there appears to be something odd about being drawn to a name that subsequently wins but its pure coincidence isnt it!!

My granddaughter was recently in Bali and when I was talking to a friend found her grandson was there with friends at the same time.
My oldest and family are going on a cruise later this month and another friend has told me her brother and his wife who live in country Victoria will be on the same one.
Given that there are so many holidays and cruises I thought that the odds were unusual.

I've been clearing out clothes and linen which I've sent to the op shop with my friend's husband taking them home till he goes down that way.
Yesterday he came while I had a friend here and he took all the bags I had although I thought he would have only taken a couple.
I had mentioned to his wife that I was getting rid of some electric rollers but she doesn't use them anymore so my youngest said her Mother in law lived near an op shop which would take it( most don't take electrical goods).
Anyway I couldn't find it anywhere so when my friend rang today I asked if it had gone with the clothes.'
Her husband looked and it had.
Then she said that her granddaughter wanted her hair curled so will give it to her. She's coming up from the country this weekend to stay with her Father so the timing has worked out well.

My granddaughter was recently in Bali and when I was talking to a friend found her grandson was there with friends at the same time.
My oldest and family are going on a cruise later this month and another friend has told me her brother and his wife who live in country Victoria will be on the same one.
Given that there are so many holidays and cruises I thought that the odds were unusual.
I have a slight feeling that there are only about three real places in the world. I went to Tasmania with my daughter and we visited a street market. When we got back to Oz, she looked at her phone and found that a lad she'd been at school with here in the UK had been at the same market at the same time, in Tasmania visiting his brother. We hadn't seen them there, which was a shame.

However, she did meet a girl she'd been at school with, who was getting off a bus opposite my daughter's workplace in Melbourne. Neither knew the other was out there. It seems that most of Yorkshire has been in Australia at some point or another and most of them seem to have met up by accident.

I have a slight feeling that there are only about three real places in the world. I went to Tasmania with my daughter and we visited a street market. When we got back to Oz, she looked at her phone and found that a lad she'd been at school with here in the UK had been at the same market at the same time, in Tasmania visiting his brother. We hadn't seen them there, which was a shame.

However, she did meet a girl she'd been at school with, who was getting off a bus opposite my daughter's workplace in Melbourne. Neither knew the other was out there. It seems that most of Yorkshire has been in Australia at some point or another and most of them seem to have met up by accident.
Yes there's something about Oz;
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/strange-coincidences.22184/page-37#post-2103360

There was a stramash here about a cat a few days ago
Never heard the word 'stramash' before.

stramash: noun
stra·mash | \ strə-ˈmash \
Definition of stramash
1 chiefly Scotland : DISTURBANCE, RACKET
2 chiefly Scotland : CRASH, SMASHUP

So I guess that's what we would call a 'hoo-hah' here.

So I step out of the metro and I see a lady going out holding this book. I took too long deciding to speak to her or not, and she was gone. It's likely I was the only one in the whole area who had ever heard of pataphysics:
It's a small but strange (and unpleasant) coincidence that I saw this post today, only a few days after a terrible hammer attack on the husband of U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. The only other place I've heard of pataphysics is in the song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

I must admit I didn't even know what the word meant until curiosity got the better of me today - and I was a philosophy major!

I was thinking about redheads earlier on this morning and checking the racing post I noted Sassy Redhead was going in the 2:25 at Chelmsford. Sure enough she won at odds of 11/1. I was a bit miffed as I had noted it but not acted on it. I have seen this name type occurrence in the past in relation to picking horses. It has always interested me on how there appears to be something odd about being drawn to a name that subsequently wins but its pure coincidence isnt it!!
I have told this true story a few times so you might have heard it. My mother was very sensitive and often dreamed about future events. One night she dreamed about the winner of the Grand National. It was an outsider and had very good odds so, as was ususual in the 50s, she had to go to the pub and ask someone who did this sort of thing to put a £5 bet on it. It won, but when she went back to the tout, if that's the right word, he said that he had been so sure it would lose that he put it on the favourite. But he handed her the fiver back. It confirmed that one shouldn't try to take monetary advantage of your abilities. Only recently has it occurred to me that the guy probably did put the money on, pocketed the £500 odd and gave her the £5 instead!

I think a lot of it is that, although it's an absolutely ENORMOUS country, there are very few cities, and of those, only Melbourne and Sydney, and possibly Perth really attract the kids going out to look for work. I know a few of the farming lads head up to the Northern Territories for jobs on the huge farms up there, but in reality, if you're going sightseeing and for casual office work, then it's going to be one of the big three cities. And those cities aren't HUGE, so I'd guess the chances of two people from the same place both being in the CBD at the same time have to be fairly high.

Never heard the word 'stramash' before.

stramash: noun
stra·mash | \ strə-ˈmash \
Definition of stramash
1 chiefly Scotland : DISTURBANCE, RACKET
2 chiefly Scotland : CRASH, SMASHUP

So I guess that's what we would call a 'hoo-hah' here.
Yes. Like a stooshie, only more so. :chuckle:

(ˈstʊʃɪ, stishie or stashie
NOUN Scottish
1. a commotion, rumpus, or row
2. a state of excitement or anxiety; a tizzy)

Back