• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

A rather sad one from me.

We are just back from a week in a cottage in North Wales. On a trip to Portmerion we passed though Ffestiniog (I initially thought of Ivor The Engine). When we passed through the place it sadly brought to mind Aberfan, to which my wife said "that's cheerful'.

Awaiting for me to start reading when I got home was the book The Premonitions Bureau by Sam Knight. I started reading it today and the early part is about the Aberfan disaster.

The Premonitions Bureau was the Book of the Week at Radio Four last week (or the week before, I forget). I got to hear a couple of episodes whilst driving and it was excellent.

The Premonitions Bureau was the Book of the Week at Radio Four last week (or the week before, I forget). I got to hear a couple of episodes whilst driving and it was excellent.
I have that book, and shall read it once I've finished reading about serial killers.....

Funny one this, although I will put it down to sheer frustration of not being able to sleep.

Yesterday evening I foolishly dozed off while lying on the sofa whilst watching something or other on the TV, and then not waking up until 9.30, which meant when I went to go to bed at 11.30 I was having trouble sleeping - I lay there eyes closed willing myself to relax enough to doze off, when I kept on hearing these little noises.

When me and Mrs DT first got together, one thing I noticed about her is the little mewing noises she makes when she is fast asleep. She doesn’t do this every night, just when she is in a very deep sleep and in a state of heightened relaxation – I’ve always found it a little endearing tbh.

Anyway, last night when I was laying there, it must have been at least 2.30.- 3am when I started hearing these same little mewing noises, but they wasn't coming from Mrs DT’s direction. One came from the right of where I was laying, then one seemed to come from the corner of the room , and another at the foot of the bed. I kept sitting up and shining my mobile phone’s torch around the room but couldn’t see anything.

These noises went on for about an hour, in different parts of he room, until the next thing I knew my alarm woke me at 8am, but as I say the frustration of not being able to sleep probably had something to do with me imagining it.

This isn't particularly strange but an hour ago I saw a woman walking a small dog. She was dressed in dark clothes and wearing a pointy witch's hat.

I think there is some sort of Halloween-related event taking place in the High Street today.

No, although some people say that visiting Hythe is like stepping back in time.

I want to visit the 'little railway' at some point.
Apparently the area through which it travels is a hotbed of Forteana.

Last edited by a moderator:
The semi-regular military flight just went overhead - this time an Apache Gunship, callsign 'Outlaw2'. Nice.
It was really rather unusual to spot these, and the Chinooks, up until a couple of years ago, but I guess they always flew around but previously I wasn't sat at home most of the day to notice them.
1667407661178.png

The semi-regular military flight just went overhead - this time an Apache Gunship, callsign 'Outlaw2'. Nice.
It was really rather unusual to spot these, and the Chinooks, up until a couple of years ago, but I guess they always flew around but previously I wasn't sat at home most of the day to notice them.
View attachment 60427

l thought ( from reading books about the air war in Arsecrackistan ) that all Army Air Corps Apaches used the callsign Ugly. A bit of digging reveals that only 662 Squadron is so designated. Your bird was from 656 Squadron:

https://wattisham.org.uk/current-and-radio

maximus otter

Yeah I followed it's flight to Wattisham. Unusually they left their transponder active throughout, when usually they switch it off when they're a couple of miles out from wherever they intend to land.
I've spotted various names used for these sorts of flights and they always some sort of 'bad boy' connotation.

The chinooks mainly fly out of Odiham and Brize Norton, and occasionally Northolt.
And lots of Eurofighter training appears to happen over the area of 'The Wash'.

I have family in a tiny place called Densole near Folkestone. I recall visiting the railway at Hythe as a kid.

I want to visit the 'little railway' at some point.
Apparently the area through which it travels is a hotbed of Forteana.
Certainly Romney Marsh which the little railway runs on for almost all of its length is a great place for spooky feels. Or it was, back when we used to holiday there in the 60's/70's. There's interesting ruins like this as well:

https://romneymarshhistory.com/soundmirrors

Several lost villages also, and the shingle landscape out beyond Greatstone.

Certainly Romney Marsh which the little railway runs on for almost all of its length is a great place for spooky feels. Or it was, back when we used to holiday there in the 60's/70's. There's interesting ruins like this as well:

Precast concrete. I bet they took some shifting into position.

By the way, if you want to hear more clearly, open your mouth and close your eyes. (Not a joke).

I can't imagine what future societies might think these were if they were unearthed several thousands of years from now. Would they realize that they were made specifically in response to a war? Or would they think it was a primitive device in which humans listened for messages from a deity?

Last edited:
Back