• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

The central questions are.... how did Gribble know about this incident straight afterwards and where did he obtain a direct phone number for the pilot?
I take it Gribble is the interviewer on the recorded phone conversation - is that right? If so ...

It sounds to me as if the person initiating the call was the pilot / witness, not Gribble. At the very start of the recording, it's the pilot / witness who asks about the nature of the person / organization (interviewer; affiliation) and whether it's the proper place for his inquiry, as if he (the pilot) is the one making the call and the interviewer is the one receiving it.

Out of sheer panic, in case it might be 'real', I highlighted this find here, soon as possible, in search of a reasoned doubt.
I am trying to clarify the background and have just - few minutes ago! - came across this:
http://www.noufors.com/research_recordings_of_Robert_Gribble_s_national_ufo_reporting_center.html
Something in the listing on the linked webpage reminded me of another anomaly in this story. The webpage (following the recording, which I double-checked) states the caller / pilot / witness was flying a "Phantom F-4-11" ("F-Four-Eleven").

"Phantom" is the official name of the F-4 fighter / bomber. There were many variants of the Phantom aircraft produced.

No formal label / title for any of these variants ever had the form "F-4-(number)." There's no such thing as an F-4-11.

I can think of two possible slip-ups (by the caller / pilot) that might explain the spurious "eleven."

One possibility was that the caller / witness wanted to mask the fact he'd actually been piloting an F-111- the swing-winged fighter-bomber (informally named the "Aardvark"), which was: contemporary as of 1977; supersonic-capable; widely used for electronic warfare / recon missions; and capable of a ferry range of slightly more than 3000nm (i.e., almost enough to make it from Tokyo to Hawaii with no more than a modest aerial refueling "top-off").

The problem with this hypothesis is that the caller / witness definitely says "Phantom F4" before saying "Eleven." If he meant to hide a connection with an F-111 by fibbing that he'd been flying an F-4 he seriously screwed up.

The second possibility involves the formal designation of the F-4. When the F-4 Phantom was accepted for production in the 1960s it was already dubbed "Phantom." However, an earlier aircraft had already been designated "Phantom", and designation / naming protocols forbade using the same official name for two different aircraft. To resolve this the (then-) new F-4 warplane was re-designated "Phantom II" to keep the nomenclature straight. Under this interpretation the caller / witness read or remembered "Phantom II" ("F-4 Phantom Two") and misquoted it as "Phantom F4 11" ("Phantom F-4 Eleven").

I have a hard time believing an experienced military pilot would screw this up.

Last edited:
Canada routinely says they are not in the UFO business, and don’t inform the Canadian Defense Department of any sightings.

But Parliament Larry Maguire from Manitoba inquired into the UFO Canadian situation and a response from U.S. spokesperson, Susan Gough, said that the U.S. and Canada has had a substantial UFO meeting between the two countries with details classified.

This story was reported by CTV News Channel Canada.

Thank you for the insightful reply.

Still working on this critical question, you have highlighted.
Renowned UFO historian, Jan Aldrich, has been speaking about this case on the Facebook 'UFO Research List', I somehow manage to administer and now over 2,000 subscribers, since its inception in April.

The Forteana crossover is so fascinating and now, personally, meaningful to myself.

That's because I have hopefully become increasingly more understanding - gratis to everyone here - of the inherent Fortean nature, as regards life, the universe and how the hell are 'Birds Eye' cod fish fingers now that price.

The Facebook endeavour was always intended to be an offshoot from discussions here and encompass subscribers who would not generally participate on this forum.

Consequently... some further, online, case material, with a delightful twist, at the outset.

https://robert-barrow.blogspot.com/2011/08/it-defied-all-laws-of-aerodynamics.html?m=1

Reactions: BS3
The mandated annual Pentagon UFO report part of the Defense Bill was to be released unclassified for the public and classified for the Congress which had a deadline of Halloween October 31st but never happened.

Some assume this shows the infighting between the more “ talkative “ Navy and the “ keep quiet “ Air Force.

Rumors swirled that the Pentagon wanted to blame China for the UFO problem to keep the public from knowing the truth.

When Louis Elizondo was popular in UFO TV programs, he too a few years ago also claimed different groups in the Pentagon fighting about release of UFO information.

Obviously, the shadow people in the Pentagon won out.

I have a hard time believing an experienced military pilot would screw this up.
It does indeed seem we have a problem, regarding the authenticity of this report.

There is a separate upload of the recording on YouTube and resultant comments include:

Screenshot_20221126-184912.jpg

DISCLOSURE IN THE USA

Is that still 'live', or stymied by conclusions of the recent government open hearings, that there is no existing, material evidence of any extraterrestrial contact and perhaps now NASA should take a look at it... just in case?

Which is which...

DISCLOSURE IN THE USA
Is that still 'live', or stymied by conclusions of the recent government open hearings, that there is no existing, material evidence of any extraterrestrial contact and perhaps now NASA should take a look at it... just in case?
Which is which...

???? ... :dunno:

I don't understand whether you're referring to something specific with the label "DISCLOSURE IN THE USA", versus some general notion of overall "disclosure".

I don't understand whether you're referring to something specific with the label "DISCLOSURE IN THE USA", versus some general notion of overall "disclosure".
This is an intriguing issue.

Yes, deliberately 'in the USA', as both the 'disclosure' and 'NASA new initiative', are intrinsic.

Equally, they seem incongruous - entirely incompatible?

When I had a have a think about this topic beforehand, it occurred there is no outcry for 'DISCLOSURE IN THE U.K.', as it seems accepted, all of the MoDs related material has now been released.

This is an intriguing issue.

Yes, deliberately 'in the USA', as both the 'disclosure' and 'NASA new initiative', are intrinsic.

Equally, they seem incongruous - entirely incompatible?

When I had a have a think about this topic beforehand, it occurred there is no outcry for 'DISCLOSURE IN THE U.K.', as it seems accepted, all of the MoDs related material has now been released.

The whole approach to the subject has been different in the UK almost since the start. Leaving aside the fact that nuts-and-bolts ETHers were never as prominent here, I think we're still quite culturally resistant to the idea that our military or government would hide anything from us - we never had a Watergate, for one thing.

The whole approach to the subject has been different in the UK almost since the start. Leaving aside the fact that nuts-and-bolts ETHers were never as prominent here, I think we're still quite culturally resistant to the idea that our military or government would hide anything from us - we never had a Watergate, for one thing.
An official disclosure would come from Brazil or Puerto Rico due to amount of sightings of UFO's/ET's ?

Supported by the oldest MUFON which is Virginia, a provision has been put into the new 2023-2024 Defense Bill that government employees and government contractors can freely without repercussions talk about their UFO experiences.

The Republicans who will control the house have said they are undecided.

The Democrats who will control the senate claim they want to write their own version of this UFO provision.

DISCLOSURE IN THE USA
The great 'disclosure' appears to be that there are reasonable explanations for almost all of the reports collected by the Navy over the last few years, and the Pentagon has begun to realise this.
Here's the New York Times from 29 October anticipating this report.
U.F.O. skeptics and experts in optics have long said many of the videos and sightings by naval aviators represent optical illusions that have made ordinary objects — weather balloons, commercial drones — appear to move faster than possible. Military officials have largely come to the same conclusion.
Besides the images of the green triangles, the other recordings released by the Pentagon have not been categorized as surveillance incidents, at least so far. But Pentagon officials do not believe that any of them represent aliens, either.
One of the videos, referred to as GoFast, appears to show an object moving at immense speed. But an analysis by the military says that is an illusion created by the angle of observation against water. According to Pentagon calculations, the object is moving only about 30 miles per hour.
Another video, known as Gimbal, shows an object that appears to be turning or spinning. Military officials now believe that is the optics of the classified image sensor, designed to help target weapons, make the object appear like it is moving in a strange way.
So we have good explanations for the
Green Pyramid UAPs = bokeh from a triangular aperture
GoFast = small, mundane object travelling at 30mph
Gimbal = optical distortion in the sensor system
Add to this the observation of several drones apparently associated with a Chinese spy ship in international waters,
and the toy mylar balloons seen off the Virginia coast (The Batman Balloon and other similar objects).

All these events have been examined at Metabunk with similar results; no aliens, just mundane events seen in unusual circumstances.

All that is left really is the FLIR1 clip, associated with the TicTac sighting of David Fravor. Here's what the NYT had to say.
Military analysts remain puzzled by the third video, known as Flir1. The object captured in the 2004 video appears to hover over the water, jump erratically, then peel away. Military officials say that event is more difficult to explain, but officials who have studied it are convinced it is not a piece of alien technology.
Note that the Metabunk analysis does explain the 'peeling away' aspect of the clip by demonstrating that the camera changes magnification at that point, thereby losing contact with the target - this was almost certainly a distant conventional aircraft, but it has not yet been identified, and many other aspects of that day's events remain mysterious.

Last edited:
After missing the mandated required annual Pentagon UFO report that was classified to Congress and unclassified to the public Halloween October 31st, sources at Reuters News Agency claim the UFO report may come out in a few days.

Reuters claims don’t expect anything.

The only difference is not blaming China now as to the thought that too much UFO information may help countries who want to harm the U.S.

How would UFO information help our enemies ?

After missing the mandated required annual Pentagon UFO report that was classified to Congress and unclassified to the public Halloween October 31st, sources at Reuters News Agency claim the UFO report may come out in a few days.

Reuters claims don’t expect anything.

The only difference is not blaming China now as to the thought that too much UFO information may help countries who want to harm the U.S.

How would UFO information help our enemies ?

I suppose it's the usual concern that presenting evidence from defence systems might reveal some capabilities of those systems.

Absolutely. Any analysis by interested parties outside the Pentagon has to use publicly-available information on the capabilities of the various sensors involved. This means an interested party can't easily determine the range, sensitivity, tracking ability, field of view, degree of integration between optical and radar systems, and so on.

All of these things would be very useful to a rival country or terrorist group attempting to evade detection.

"Supported by... MUFON... a provision has been put into the.... Defense Bill that government employees and government contractors can freely without repercussions talk about their UFO experiences.

The Republicans who will control the house have said they are undecided.

The Democrats who will control the senate claim they want to write their own version of this UFO provision"
Slightly 'paraphrasing', Charlie, this could be a quote from the early 60s?

All of these things would be very useful to a rival country or terrorist group attempting to evade detection.
Absolutely and an enormous factor, astutely highlighted.

Personally, I remain intrigued why no apparent outrage from the U.S., long established 'UFO' organisations.

What was the point of all those historical, inherent endeavours then, if now seemingly compliant support for yet another venture... 'in case there's some reality to it all'.

Has all the existing documentary evidence been shredded.

Personally... would I have argued... why not instead, look at our files?

Ah... that's been done before though and officially determined, there actually was, 'nothing of resultant significance'.

When last addressed....?

Anyone else, almost completely forgotten about the 1998 'Sturrock Panel' report'?

Much has changed since then, though

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...reports/90273e0a-b224-49dd-a7c4-2bbe72e201f9/

The B-21 Raider Super Stealth bomber unveiled.

Wow, looks like a UFO flying disc !

Just more like a pass note, The Wall Street Journal has called out the Pentagon for not meeting the mandated required annual UFO report for the Congress and an unclassified report to the public.

The deadline was Halloween October 31st.

In a nice way the The Wall Street Journal called the Pentagon a bunch of people in a “ tail spin “ in what to do about UFOs.

Dr. Who, we need your help !

Could the Government Really Cover Up UFOs? A long-awaited U.S. intelligence report is likely to disappoint Americans who believe that aliens have visited Earth

Once again, the UFO crowd is hoping for a big reveal. U.S. military intelligence agencies were supposed to deliver a long-anticipated report at the end of October, and it could drop any day now. It’s a sequel to a document published in June 2021. The reports were requested by the Senate to make clear what the Navy knows about 144 puzzling incidents that occurred during training exercises off the California coast from 2004 to 2021. In all these incidents, unrecognized objects were apparently seen or detected.

But for the millions of Americans who think that Earth is being visited by aliens, the strange objects are important for a different reason. They could be the best evidence yet for something people have been claiming for more than 70 years: that the government is aware of extraterrestrial craft in our airspace and is keeping the news hidden to forestall massive civil unrest.

A September poll by YouGov found that roughly half of the American public believes that space aliens exist, and approximately a quarter say that they have seen a UFO. Of course, this makes it hard to credit the claim that the government is hiding evidence of aliens simply because the public couldn’t handle the news. A large fraction believes in their existence but continue to lead their lives. They’re already handling the news.

For decades the UFO community has tried to support its beliefs by emphasizing seemingly strange events, such as the celebrated Roswell incident of 1947. Because those stories are now long in the tooth, many have now switched tactics, counting on some major “disclosure” from the federal government. But if there was any reliable evidence, something as consequential as an alien presence on Earth couldn’t be covered up by the U.S. government and all the other governments of the world too.

It’s reasonable to think that aliens are out there among the stars of the Milky Way. They just don’t seem to have paid us a visit.

- Dr. Shostak is the senior astronomer at the SETI Institute.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/could-the-government-really-cover-up-ufos-11671117284

maximus otter

As I have said a few times before, the Pentagon ignored a required annual UFO report to the Congress and general public that was due Halloween October 31 st.

Beside other news agencies calling “foul “, it was rare that the business news The Wall Street Journal came out and “slammed” the Pentagon for being in the wrong.

Washington is still playing the old 1950’s playbook !

There seems to be some delay. I think that you are probably correct, and there is a debate between various factions about the actual causes of these various sightings.

Mick West and Metabunk have suggested very plausible and parsimonious explanations for most of the sightings, and it seems likely that some, or many people in the Air Force (and elsewhere) agree with these explanations. However, there are a number of possible alternate interpretations of the same data, and it is quite possible that UFO proponents within the Pentagon are clinging tenaciously to these interpretations, despite the fact that they are less realistic.

Pentagon has received ‘several hundreds’ of new UFO reports

A new Pentagon office set up to track reports of unidentified flying objects has received “several hundreds” of new reports, but no evidence so far of alien life, the agency’s leadership told reporters Friday.

The All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) was set up in July and is responsible for not only tracking unidentified objects in the sky, but also underwater or in space — or potentially an object that has the ability to move from one domain to the next.

The office was established following more than a year of attention on unidentified flying objects that military pilots have observed but have sometimes been reluctant to report due to fear of stigma.

In June 2021 the Office of the Director of National Intelligence reported that between 2004 and 2021, there were 144 such encounters, 80 of which were captured on multiple sensors.

Since then, “we’ve had lots more reporting,” said anomaly office director Sean Kirkpatrick. When asked to quantify the amount, Kirkpatrick said “several hundreds.”

https://apnews.com/article/politics-trending-news-7227512231fa206da624f813455c2f0b

maximus otter

This past Friday the AARO acknowledged missing the annual UFO required report but claims it will be released by December 31st.

The AARO claims that this report will state there has never been any extraterrestrial activity ever, but the government has improved their investigations into UFO sightings.

I doubt that the report could definitively rule out any alien activity, since there isn't enough information to do that. Even if all the Navy photos and video clips could be explained comprehensively, there would still be plenty of inexplicable eye-witness accounts.

I'm certainly hopeful that we will find good evidence eventually, either of a visit in the past or of intelligent life in a distant system; we may even have direct contact eventually. But there still isn't any good evidence of current, ongoing activity. Even Mick West, the arch skeptic, refuses to rule out the possibility of alien activity on Earth or elsewhere; a false negative is just as bad an error as a false positive.

Because this required annual UFO report is so late in coming ( if it even shows up at all ) the real story here is who is in comtrol of UFO information ?

Obviously there is a tremendous power struggle in the Pentagon over UFO information.

People have guessed free thinking Air Force vs the dark shadowed Army.

Back