• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm not exactly a linguist, but I think there would be some kind of discernible structure to the sound of a real language that would be lacking in just gibberish. A more complex structure indicating grammar and word forms.

Such structural features (e.g., lexical consistency; syntactic coherence) can't be evaluated without a substantial corpus of spoken or written expression to analyze. Such substantial samples aren't typically available.

Another problem is that identifying words and assigning meanings requires finding connections between the spoken utterances and patterns or objects of reference. Episodes of glossolalia are often performed as if in a trance-like state, in which the speaker is basically passive and not behaving in a manner to indicate how uttered sounds might correlate with concepts or objects.

I'm not exactly a linguist, but I think there would be some kind of discernible structure to the sound of a real language that would be lacking in just gibberish. A more complex structure indicating grammar and word forms.
There has been research on it. Speakers make language sounds they already know (so no spontaneous Namibian click-language or Tuvan throat singing) but mix syllables up and repeat them as if speaking new words.

The whistling ghost.

Have you seen a whistling ghost off the Acle Straight?

26th May 2022

It was the coldest winter for 200 years, and three friends out shooting near the Acle Straight didn’t think their blood could be any chillier: until they heard an eerie whistle.

There, approaching them on the ice, was a figure, walking purposefully towards the rivulet that was the only element of Breydon Water left unfrozen.
And as he walked, he whistled.
Weird Norfolk received a letter from reader JB Howkins, who described an unsettling meeting in the early 1960s, when he and two friends were close to the Acle Straight.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weird-...IBpNt2IG0C8Oy6k6yY0H4MK1jo36RImQO2SVRioKE_q6Y

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like Weird Norfolk, especially as I spent some time up there in 2004. The hotel owner I worked for was from a farming family and was adamant he had seen lynx cross the road in front of him on a nearby track. This was either an escapee from the local wildlife park (https://www.norfolkplaces.co.uk/remembering-norfolk-wildlife-park/) or drawn to the area because of the Eurasian lynx within the park. It is quite possibly the same lynx that needed up in a local gamekeeper's freezer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4830320.stm

The Demon of Fremont, part 1 [Podcast]:

Imagine there was an imposter in your house… It would be terrifying but at least you could call the police, and they could hopefully remove them. But what if the invader couldn’t be seen or heard by others…only you.

Even worse…what if this unwelcome guest utterly loathed you, and wanted nothing more than your death and destruction.

I'm Peter Laws, and tonight we hear of a distressing and little known haunting case from California, 1996. Where a house is not merely haunted by a spirit…it is harassed and terrorised by a malevolent force.

This is Frightful...and The Demon of Fremont, Part 1

https://www.itsfrightful.org/30-the-demon-of-fremont-part-1/

Th Demon of Fremont part 2 [Podcast]:

Imagine there was an imposter in your house… It would be terrifying but at least you could call the police, and they could hopefully remove them. But what if the invader couldn’t be seen or heard by others…only you.

Even worse…what if this unwelcome guest utterly loathed you, and wanted nothing more than your death and destruction.

I'm Peter Laws, and tonight we hear of a distressing and little known haunting case from California, 1996. Where a house is not merely haunted by a spirit…it is harassed and terrorised by a malevolent force.

This is Frightful...and The Demon of Fremont (PART 2)

https://www.itsfrightful.org/31-the-demon-of-fremont-part-2/

The Haunting of Buckingham Terrace.
That's a good story. At first, I was thinking sleep paralysis episodes until her daughter experienced it.

The physical description given of the figure was very interesting in that she saw it so clearly. And then to have people corroborate it with a person they knew to have lived there. Wonderful.

I suspected an intruder/squatter and was disappointed that no one looked closer at the flat.

That's a good story. At first, I was thinking sleep paralysis episodes until her daughter experienced it.

The physical description given of the figure was very interesting in that she saw it so clearly. And then to have people corroborate it with a person they knew to have lived there. Wonderful.

I suspected an intruder/squatter and was disappointed that no one looked closer at the flat.
Elliot O'Donnell mentions it in Scottish Ghosts but other than that nobody seems to have looked onto it.

Elliot O'Donnell mentions it in Scottish Ghosts but other than that nobody seems to have looked onto it.
It's mentioned in Paranormal Edinburgh by erm Gordon Rutter and in North Edinburgh Nightmares by John Tantalon. There is no indication of which house in Buckingham Terrace it is and I think there are no details about a family of that name living there or indeed the murder of a baby. I've discussed the case with Alan Murdie and he has not come across any other details either.
And as a postscript I have been in one of the upper flats in the street...

Last edited:

WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'

Flickering lights, radios and lights switching themselves on and off, impossible footprints and spectral snatching…something very strange was happening at Continental Shoe Repairs

For today’s tale, and as Weird Norfolk is enjoying its dark summer holiday, we step just outside the county border to Wisbech, just a mile or two west from the Norfolk border.
It was December 1963 – long before films such as The Exorcist and Poltergeist popularised mischievous or demonic earth-bound spirits – but the boundary between the known and the unknown was thin on Wisbech High Street.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A hopping poltergeist in a Norfolk shoe repair shop. A load of cobblers?
https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/2...cIxU_vOTs3LZzuYGm6Eih4cMpc47hOi1y4HYxNLSXk_P0

WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'

Flickering lights, radios and lights switching themselves on and off, impossible footprints and spectral snatching…something very strange was happening at Continental Shoe Repairs

For today’s tale, and as Weird Norfolk is enjoying its dark summer holiday, we step just outside the county border to Wisbech, just a mile or two west from the Norfolk border.
It was December 1963 – long before films such as The Exorcist and Poltergeist popularised mischievous or demonic earth-bound spirits – but the boundary between the known and the unknown was thin on Wisbech High Street.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A hopping poltergeist in a Norfolk shoe repair shop. A load of cobblers?
https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/2...cIxU_vOTs3LZzuYGm6Eih4cMpc47hOi1y4HYxNLSXk_P0

Almost certainly.

There must one or two cases happening nowadays? Considering the ingredients of a case are quite common throughout the world, wouldn't it be good if we had an Enfield or Pontefract case now, think of the potential for actually getting somewhere with this mystery

I read ‘Testimony’ about Heol Fanog, which was definitely interesting. Not sure what to think about it really. We stay in the area fairly regularly and so I was reading up about it when there.

I’m not sure that the electricity bill being horrendous is supernatural; it happened to my partner’s daughter last year in a distinctly non-haunted bungalow, although it is enough to cause massive stress of course. As to the rest quoted from

Spooky Isles.com

When searching for help, Liz contacted a number of mediums, spiritualists, and clergy.

When they visited, they picked up on some unnerving history that occurred on the property.

According to them, the cause of the haunting came from three sources.

One was the desecrated gravestones, which they were already aware of.

Second, a vicious murder took place on the property in 1848. A young farmhand was killed by a friend who hit him in the head with an axe and buried him on the property.

The third piece of dark news was easily the most disturbing.

Apparently, satanic rites, including animal sacrifice, were carried out on the property. And it would seem it was still occurring as many of the Riches’ animals died mysterious deaths.’

I don’t know if the grave theory has been looked into as Heol Fanog wasn’t a chapel was it, or consecrated ground? Or were people permitted to bury on their own grounds?
And ‘satanic rites’ gets thrown around quite a lot and is impossible to prove. I’ll have to read the book again as I loaned it out.

On the other hand, the family never seemed to turn this into a cash cow; the Enfield Poltergeist and The Pontefract case had a tremendous amount of publicity, and I’d never even heard of Heol Fanog until a few years back (on this site).

The location yes, is quite remote but it’s not Cape Wrath remote, not very far at all from Brecon town (11-15 mins on AA Route Planner) Tiny roads of course.
I’ve stayed in far more hard-to-get-to places and lived further from a main town, so the idea that the family really regretted the move, which I’ve seen posited (though with a massive electric bill, maybe they did!) doesn’t make much sense to me but then I was born in the country.

The Ghost Trail series video apparently shows Heol Fanog as abandoned, as in ‘family fled in the night and didn’t even take their books’ kind of thing. Well, you try parting me from my books , undead thing or not.

But Google Earth shows the place as having a car parked outside. Granted, you can’t see the house well as there are trees around it, but it doesn’t look abandoned and it’s unlikely, unless it had been derelict a very long time, to remain abandoned because thare’s a massive demand for holiday cottages and it’s a peaceful place to live.

IMG_7023.jpeg

I think this is the right place. If you Google the location, you get told it’s next to Cilwhybert Motte but that is a big farm complex, lots of barns and outbuildings so I don’t think that’s the right place. This is not far from a place called Penstar Bunkhouse and fits the bill a lot better. So I’m not sure if the Ghost Trails people were using a ‘stand-in’ for poetic license or what. (E.T.A: I suppose the place next to Cilwhybert Motte could have had the barns thrown up within the last 30-odd years and it might be there, but from the air, the house looks the same shape on this image as some of the pics of Heol Fanog)

IMG_7024.jpeg

I find it a fascinating case and on the Ghost Trails the son of the Rich’s commented.

IMG_7022.jpeg

I read ‘Testimony’ about Heol Fanog, which was definitely interesting. Not sure what to think about it really. We stay in the area fairly regularly and so I was reading up about it when there.

I’m not sure that the electricity bill being horrendous is supernatural; it happened to my partner’s daughter last year in a distinctly non-haunted bungalow, although it is enough to cause massive stress of course. As to the rest quoted from

Spooky Isles.com

When searching for help, Liz contacted a number of mediums, spiritualists, and clergy.

When they visited, they picked up on some unnerving history that occurred on the property.

According to them, the cause of the haunting came from three sources.

One was the desecrated gravestones, which they were already aware of.

Second, a vicious murder took place on the property in 1848. A young farmhand was killed by a friend who hit him in the head with an axe and buried him on the property.

The third piece of dark news was easily the most disturbing.

Apparently, satanic rites, including animal sacrifice, were carried out on the property. And it would seem it was still occurring as many of the Riches’ animals died mysterious deaths.’

I don’t know if the grave theory has been looked into as Heol Fanog wasn’t a chapel was it, or consecrated ground? Or were people permitted to bury on their own grounds?
And ‘satanic rites’ gets thrown around quite a lot and is impossible to prove. I’ll have to read the book again as I loaned it out.

On the other hand, the family never seemed to turn this into a cash cow; the Enfield Poltergeist and The Pontefract case had a tremendous amount of publicity, and I’d never even heard of Heol Fanog until a few years back (on this site).

The location yes, is quite remote but it’s not Cape Wrath remote, not very far at all from Brecon town (11-15 mins on AA Route Planner) Tiny roads of course.
I’ve stayed in far more hard-to-get-to places and lived further from a main town, so the idea that the family really regretted the move, which I’ve seen posited (though with a massive electric bill, maybe they did!) doesn’t make much sense to me but then I was born in the country.

The Ghost Trail series video apparently shows Heol Fanog as abandoned, as in ‘family fled in the night and didn’t even take their books’ kind of thing. Well, you try parting me from my books , undead thing or not.

But Google Earth shows the place as having a car parked outside. Granted, you can’t see the house well as there are trees around it, but it doesn’t look abandoned and it’s unlikely, unless it had been derelict a very long time, to remain abandoned because thare’s a massive demand for holiday cottages and it’s a peaceful place to live.

View attachment 71098

I think this is the right place. If you Google the location, you get told it’s next to Cilwhybert Motte but that is a big farm complex, lots of barns and outbuildings so I don’t think that’s the right place. This is not far from a place called Penstar Bunkhouse and fits the bill a lot better. So I’m not sure if the Ghost Trails people were using a ‘stand-in’ for poetic license or what. (E.T.A: I suppose the place next to Cilwhybert Motte could have had the barns thrown up within the last 30-odd years and it might be there, but from the air, the house looks the same shape on this image as some of the pics of Heol Fanog)

View attachment 71100

I find it a fascinating case and on the Ghost Trails the son of the Rich’s commented.

View attachment 71099
Really interesting.

My understanding is that the property was rented and therefore although they may have 'abandoned' it the actual owner didn't:

"The Witch Farm BBC Podcasts

Young, pregnant Liz Rich and her artist husband Bill rent an isolated farmhouse in the Welsh countryside, with Bill's teenage son Laurence. They're hoping for a fresh start, but the house holds dark secrets, and the family's new life becomes a terrifying ordeal that will change them forever."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-witch-farm/id1649201463#:~:text=The Witch Farm BBC Podcasts&text=Brecon Beacons mountains.-,Young, pregnant Liz Rich and her artist husband Bill rent,that will change them forever.

Great FT article here:

https://www.everand.com/article/633539524/Heol-Fanog-What-Lies-Beneath

Do you know the cause of your daughter's huge electricity bill?

My understanding is that the property was rented and therefore although they may have 'abandoned' it the actual owner didn't:
Yes, I read yesterday on the What Lies Beneath:

“Dear Danny, “Congratulations on The Witch Farm.

“I’m contacting you as Heol Fanog has been home for my family for the last 25 years.

“If there is anything mysterious going on here today it is the gentle mystery of nature. For a quarter of a century, the land around the converted barn has been managed for wildlife, for family get-togethers and as productive, organic gardens.

“If a visitor encounters a cloud of flies at the gate, it’s part of the web of insect life that also includes a variety of butterflies, moths, bees and other pollinators, thronging the garden and the partly-reclaimed walls and steps of the manor house ruin.

“And there are a wide range of birds. Even owls roost in Heol Fanog’s oaks, where they and their chicks are hopefully protected from the dangers of collisions with speeding exorcists.

“Heol Fanog has been recognised by the Wildlife Trust as an exemplar of how to manage private land in tune with nature. And every year pears, apples, blackcurrants, beans, leeks, potatoes and more, yield healthy crops in the vegetable garden.

“In contrast to some of the more windswept pastures around Brecon, Heol Fanog is a calm oasis of biodiversity, protected from the elements by the trees which line its boundary. The humans who live there also value their private, quiet enjoyment of the house and grounds. Thank you for encouraging your listeners to be kind and give us privacy. We don’t want to be drawn into discussion of what may or may not have happened prior to this residency.

“However, I can confirm that the infamous electricity meter has behaved itself for the whole of the 21st century. As a symbol, perhaps, of what Heol Fanog has become, a few years back a pair of swallows built a nest in the barn, perched on a tiny ledge. From there their brood flew to sunny Africa and back, in a cycle which repeats across the years. Can you guess where they nested and peacefully raised their young?

“On top of the electricity meter.”

Sounds like a lovely place now. I see there was quite a bit in that article of the husband having been interested in ‘magic’ and the trip to Egypt, so if there was anything in the haunting that was paranormal, perhaps it emanated from him. There seemed to be such a lot going on, smells, sounds, apparitions, etc. But even now the mother and that one son do seem to completely stand by what was experienced.

It’s my partner's daughter, @Paul_Exeter; she also lives quite deep into the country and has no idea. They tried the usual things like turning almost everything off except the fridge and it made no difference, and with two young kids it’s almost impossible in cold weather to keep the heating off for any length of time. But this began in the summer when they weren’t using any heating except for hot water.
The provider sent people out to check and said the usual things, no we don’t know why it‘s so high but you have to pay it.

The power issues may be due to poorly-insulated cable and damp on the property, which can leech away a lot of power to earth.
To fix it, the owners could have got new cabling installed, but I guess that would cost a lot of money.
It might even be cheaper to set up a windmill and solar panels.

Back