• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

When I was about 7 or 8 I was staying over at a friends house. I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and in the window, which was frosted, I saw an illuminated figure which looked exactly like the classical shape of an angel with wings and what appeared to be a halo. I wouldn't say it was scary just very weird. I didn't say anything as I was afraid people would have thought I was mad or stupid. Years later I realize it for what it was - the image of the halogen street light outside refracted into a weird image by the frosted window pane. It just shows how big a part perception plays when you see something weird as a young person without the more critical thinking you would apply as an adult.

Mandela Effect in action - the Hovis commercial was set in the West Country.

At least you didn't say eeh bah gum.

There were two Hovis adverts with quite similar themes.
The original "boy on a bike" advert did indeed feature a Cornish (or possibly Devon/Somerset/Dorset) accented voiceover.
A subsequent advert, known as "down to the shops" had a more northern sounding narration - "real boudder for tea".
The two adverts have obviously become conflated in people's memories.

It's in my eye-line but I can't see it because of trees and the Cheshire plain! I often walk along the canal, so have almost certainly passed your friend's boat!
It's here. Next time you pass, just shout ''Pete you d***head'' and he'll come out.

Attachments

• SG.png
    SG.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
t's here. Next time you pass, just shout ''Pete you d***head'' and he'll come out.
Surely (IIRC) there are rules on the canal that would require Pete to change his mooring every couple of weeks?

Surely (IIRC) there are rules on the canal that would require Pete to change his mooring every couple of weeks?
I don't know the exact rules (and Pete isn't the sort to always follow them anyway if you know what I mean) but he rents off a farmer who owns the field to get to his boat and the carpark that you can see at the bottom of the photo.
I'm not sure how it works regarding mooring fees etc to the canal authority though. He probably just tells them to p**s off if they try anything.

There were two Hovis adverts with quite similar themes.
The original "boy on a bike" advert did indeed feature a Cornish (or possibly Devon/Somerset/Dorset) accented voiceover.
A subsequent advert, known as "down to the shops" had a more northern sounding narration - "real boudder for tea".
The two adverts have obviously become conflated in people's memories.

Nooooo though. I remember the original ad having a Yorkshire accented voice over - not Geordie or West Country!

I was genuinely shocked when I saw this version.

Not me but my small grandson. He came running up to the door then noticed the swarm of flies that hang around the potplants in hot weather, gave a piercing scream and ran back to the car.
His father had to carry him in.

When I was probably about 7, my mother bought me a Mrs Beasley doll. The doll featured in the US TV show "Family Affair" that had aired some years earlier. The doll - with a plastic smile and blue eyes, shining with madness - unnerved me. I stuffed it down in the bottom of my closet and covered it with boxes. But I still knew it was in there.

When I was probably about 7, my mother bought me a Mrs Beasley doll. The doll featured in the US TV show "Family Affair" that had aired some years earlier. The doll - with a plastic smile and blue eyes, shining with madness - unnerved me. I stuffed it down in the bottom of my closet and covered it with boxes. But I still knew it was in there.

b922246c59fb398101cb80d46d0e8c51.jpg

“Why did you imprison me, Blithe? You shouldn’t have done that; it made me angry…”

maximus otter

I remember this TV program when it was first run. Everything about "Family Affair" was horrid. I think some of the unattractive child actors had a sad end. Sad for all.

b922246c59fb398101cb80d46d0e8c51.jpg

“Why did you imprison me, Blithe? You shouldn’t have done that; it made me angry…”

maximus otter
How could any doll inventor possibly think this was a suitable face? It isn't just the eyes. The mouth is unnerving too.

It is such an unnatural smile and look - the sort that someone out to kill you might employ to put you at ease whilst preparing to strike.

Nooooo though. I remember the original ad having a Yorkshire accented voice over - not Geordie or West Country!

I was genuinely shocked when I saw this version.
Yup, I remember Lily Savage doing a skit of one of the ads in a Yorkshire accent:
“You could smell it comin up through t’floorboards…. grandad had shit t’bed again”!

Or is the Yorkshire ad a false memory?

We picked up our Christmas tree on Friday and after trimming the bottom of it we thought we may as well leave it in the netting to make it easier watering it for a day or so, as they normally need a frequent top up at first.

After a long rest of the day out, I came in first at about 6.30 pm to a dark house. Walking into the sitting room without turning on the light I momentarily thought there was a dark, 7 foot tall human shape silhouetted against the back window until I remembered it was the tree:omg:

We picked up our Christmas tree on Friday and after trimming the bottom of it we thought we may as well leave it in the netting to make it easier watering it for a day or so, as they normally need a frequent top up at first.

After a long rest of the day out, I came in first at about 6.30 pm to a dark house. Walking into the sitting room without turning on the light I momentarily thought there was a dark, 7 foot tall human shape silhouetted against the back window until I remembered it was the tree:omg:
Yes, we are often our own worst enemy. What could wrong with leaving the tree wrapped? Then, midnight, a strange figure appears in the room and gives you a heart attack:rofl:

You've just reminded me of something. Sometime in the late 70's, my Dad came home with a real Christmas tree. Before we put any decorations on it, he noticed a large egg sack hidden at the base of it so he called some pest control man out to deal with it. It turned out to be spider eggs, God knows what country the tree had come from but I remember him saying it wasn't from Britain so it could have been any kind of dangerous spiders in there. That would have ruined Christmas.

You've just reminded me of something. Sometime in the late 70's, my Dad came home with a real Christmas tree. Before we put any decorations on it, he noticed a large egg sack hidden at the base of it so he called some pest control man out to deal with it. It turned out to be spider eggs, God knows what country the tree had come from but I remember him saying it wasn't from Britain so it could have been any kind of dangerous spiders in there. That would have ruined Christmas.
And that's my nightmare sorted for tonight. Something like I go downstairs to find my tree covered in egg sacs, hanging there like baubles. Pulsating...

Fortunately I think Christmas trees usually come from north-west Europe rather than Australia!

Though there are some alternatives Down Under:
https://www.australiangeographic.co...es-that-are-better-than-the-traditional-pine/

... and this is precisely why my tree will be coming from the farm at the bottom of the road. There may still be spiders, but they'll be Yorkshire spiders.

Back