• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

These I actually like a lot.

Two from Helga Stentzel's series 'Clothesline Animals':

FhHsCwrXoAIU43-.jpeg FhNVw-bX0AEF1Do.jpeg

You can now buy a painting by Damien Hirst for 45.000. From a series of 300.
I think Damien Hirst is just pure marketing and a scam.

https://heni.com/primary

APPLICATION
You will be asked to provide some personal details, along with additional information to support your application. You may specify up to three preferred artworks from the series.

ALLOCATION
After applications have closed, HENI will carefully review each application and aim to have all allocations made by the end of the year. Successful applicants will have five days to complete payment.

1670149543741.png

You can now buy a painting by Damien Hirst for 45.000. From a series of 300.

https://heni.com/primary

APPLICATION
You will be asked to provide some personal details, along with additional information to support your application. You may specify up to three preferred artworks from the series.

ALLOCATION
After applications have closed, HENI will carefully review each application and aim to have all allocations made by the end of the year. Successful applicants will have five days to complete payment.

View attachment 61299
They will sell them to anybody. That crap about “carefully review each application “ is just a marketing ploy to make people feel special.

Faig Ahmed is an Azerbaijani contemporary visual artist who is best known for his surrealist weaving which integrates visual distortions into traditional oriental rugs.

View attachment 57713
This is just marvelous. I love the way it melts into itself and the hallucinatory puddle of vivid liquid colors. I can almost hear the SPLAT! of it pouring onto the floor.

Indeed - if that picture is indicative of the sorts of work one could expect to purchase, they all look like anyone could've painted any of them in half an hour, by just spitting gobfuls of paint at the canvas.

If anybody wants one, I can supply one for a tenth of that price.
It might even have a signature that looks like Damien Hirst's, as a bonus feature.
I could even ask my friend Dani Amhirst to sign it.

Last edited:
... And when Maurizio Cattelan chose to test the dealer’s loyalty in 1995 by asking him to do something truly embarrassing, Perrotin did it.
Cattelan, always something of a cerebral prankster, proposed that Perrotin—who hoped to be his dealer–—wear a costume throughout an upcoming show. It was to be a bunny costume, complete with floppy ears. Perrotin was a 27-year-old bachelor, known as something of a womanizer; wearing the bunny suit would make him a laughingstock, which was Cattelan’s point. “I was almost naked inside the suit,” Perrotin recalled. Articles appeared showing Cattelan the artist and Perrotin his bunny. But when Perrotin emerged from the suit after six weeks, he found himself admired. “The fact that I took the risk to do it was a devotion.” Cattelan became his artist. So did Murakami. Perrotin was on his way.

BOOM, the mega dealers behind the irresistible rise of the contemporary art market, Michael Shnayerson

This is the mother of all freeport art storage spaces: Geneva freeport, a tax-free zone in Geneva that includes parts of an old freight station and an industrial storage building. The free-trade zone takes up the backyard and the fourth floor of the old storage building, so that different jurisdictions run through one and the same building, as the other floors are set outside the freeport zone. A new art storage space was opened in 2014. Up until just a few years before, the freeport wasn’t even officially considered part of Switzerland.This building is rumored to house thousands of Picassos, but no one knows the exact number since documentation is rather opaque. There is little doubt though that its contents could compete with any very large museum.11Let’s assume that this is one of the most important art spaces in the world right now. It is not only not public, but it is also sitting inside a very interesting geography.From a legal standpoint, freeport art storage spaces are somewhat extraterritorial. Some are located in the transit zones of airports or in tax-free zones. “[Freeports’] attractions are similar to those offered by offshore financial centres: security and confidentiality, not much scrutiny … and an array of tax advantages … Goods in freeports are technically in transit, even if in reality the ports are used more and more as permanent homes for accumulated wealth.”13The freeport is thus a zone for permanent transit.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...george-open-permanent-london-exhibition-space

"It was very important that it was a human space, we don't like aggressively minimalist galleries and museums," chimed in George.

"We want it to feel part of life, it's also so that we can live forever, because everyone wants to live forever," he added.

"We're getting old, but we're living forever", joked Gilbert.

Gilbert Prousch, 79, and George Passmore, 81, met at Saint Martin's School of Art in 1967, and have been inseparable ever since, personally and professionally.

This is wonderful and admirable: The Performance Artist Who Went To Impossible Extremes

A most expensive banana...

Maurizio Cattelan: Banana artwork eaten by Seoul museum visitor​

A South Korean art student ate a banana that was part of an installation by artist Maurizio Cattelan, saying he was "hungry" after skipping breakfast.
The artwork called "Comedian", part of Cattelan's exhibition "WE", consisted of a ripe banana duct-taped to a wall at Seoul's Leeum Museum of Art.
After eating the banana, the student, Noh Huyn-soo, taped the peel to the wall.
The museum later placed a new banana at the same spot, reported local media.
The incident, which lasted more than a minute, was recorded by Mr Noh's friend.
The Leeum Museum of Art did not respond to an email inquiry by the BBC. However, it told media that it will not claim damages against the student.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65446331

I thought the banana eating thing had happened before?

Back