• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Entity

Very creepy! I shall have to look up Darlington Hall.
DarTington, spell check always wants to change it to a certain Northern place.

I have posted about a few others: a grey lady manifestation, a glowing road ghost, a ghost cat, poltergeist activity and a big cat sighting. Plus various legends about music from locked rooms, a ghost on the old church tower etc. Even a couple of crop circles back in 1999. Some of these were multiple-witness occurrences, too.

it is not at all far from famously-haunted Berry Pomeroy Castle, so maybe something about that area…?

I would have suspected sleep paralysis except for the fact that he moved from the bed to another room. I've experienced sleep paralysis and in my experience, I think I am moving and trying to wake, but in reality, not. I have never moved from the bed and eventually can wake myself. But the fact that he grabbed the flashlight and shone it at the thing and then ran to bathroom shows that he was awake.

Dream, sleep and waking states are weird to say the least. I had an experience kind of opposite to sleep paralysis, but had to verify with my husband that he could actually hear me talking and that I was not just doing it in my mind. I couldn't fully wake after a disturbing dream(?). I don't remember exactly why I was struggling to wake but I didn't want to fall directly back into the dream state. It took me quite awhile for my brain waves to catch up to a waking state. I even asked my husband to turn the light on so that I could wake more fully.

This experience of mine again makes me believe that he was fully awake and not dreaming. You can't really act quickly when you're in a partial dream state.

I would have suspected sleep paralysis except for the fact that he moved from the bed to another room. I've experienced sleep paralysis and in my experience, I think I am moving and trying to wake, but in reality, not. I have never moved from the bed and eventually can wake myself. But the fact that he grabbed the flashlight and shone it at the thing and then ran to bathroom shows that he was awake.

Dream, sleep and waking states are weird to say the least. I had an experience kind of opposite to sleep paralysis, but had to verify with my husband that he could actually hear me talking and that I was not just doing it in my mind. I couldn't fully wake after a disturbing dream(?). I don't remember exactly why I was struggling to wake but I didn't want to fall directly back into the dream state. It took me quite awhile for my brain waves to catch up to a waking state. I even asked my husband to turn the light on so that I could wake more fully.

This experience of mine again makes me believe that he was fully awake and not dreaming. You can't really act quickly when you're in a partial dream state.
There again, I have got up out of bed to try to shake a dream experience, and gone downstairs but held on to the 'state of terror' that I'd woken in, and could, quite easily, have shut myself in a bathroom and kept being terrified, despite being awake.

These stories reminded me of one a friend told me - the same friend I saw the "pterodactyl" with.

She was a girl at the time; I don't remember how old. She was walking down a hallway in her house and as she passed her bedroom was surprised to see a clown - the Bozo/Pennywise kind - on her bed. He was on his stomach, turned wrong way around so his head was sticking out from the foot of the bed. He smiled at her, and suddenly a guillotine blade fell from above and decapitated him!

She ran screaming, but going back to the room found nothing amiss.

I was thinking about this last night in bed at 2am, as you do, thinking what would I do if an evil jester entity appeared at the end of my bed, but oddly not managing to spook myself too much, but then I recalled something that an old friend recounted to me years ago, something that happened to her when she was a little girl. At Easter she had got up early, before anyone else in her family, to hunt for Easter eggs, which her parents were in the habit of hiding around the house for her to find. She said she saw an evil black rabbit-thing perched on top of a sewing machine, radiating malevolence (I've posted this somewhere else on the boards). She ran back upstairs to tell her parents that the Easter Bunny was downstairs, but it was not nice; they, of course, thought she was dreaming. I've lost contact with this friend now, but she always insisted it wasn't a dream and she really saw it. It makes me think that something was mocking her Easter-related excitement. It makes me wonder if the entity in the account above took on its jester-type appearance as a form of mockery, and if it had pulled that imagery from the mind of the witness, or someone else. We'll never know of course, but those are the kind of things I ponder at 2am...

Edit: I originally posted here, nearly 20 years ago, but said it was sat on a chair, not a sewing machine. I imagine the chair is more accurate, don't know where I got the sewing machine from...
The Reverend Peter Laws who reviews horror movies for FT, and who is a mate of mine has had a couple of encounters with a black, demonic rabbit thing.

I was thinking about this last night in bed at 2am, as you do, thinking what would I do if an evil jester entity appeared at the end of my bed, but oddly not managing to spook myself too much, but then I recalled something that an old friend recounted to me years ago, something that happened to her when she was a little girl. At Easter she had got up early, before anyone else in her family, to hunt for Easter eggs, which her parents were in the habit of hiding around the house for her to find. She said she saw an evil black rabbit-thing perched on top of a sewing machine, radiating malevolence (I've posted this somewhere else on the boards). She ran back upstairs to tell her parents that the Easter Bunny was downstairs, but it was not nice; they, of course, thought she was dreaming. I've lost contact with this friend now, but she always insisted it wasn't a dream and she really saw it. It makes me think that something was mocking her Easter-related excitement. It makes me wonder if the entity in the account above took on its jester-type appearance as a form of mockery, and if it had pulled that imagery from the mind of the witness, or someone else. We'll never know of course, but those are the kind of things I ponder at 2am...

Edit: I originally posted here, nearly 20 years ago, but said it was sat on a chair, not a sewing machine. I imagine the chair is more accurate, don't know where I got the sewing machine from...
Peter talks about this demon rabbi here. Begins at about 10.40.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1827712/11729454-special-guest-interview-part-i-peter-laws?t=0

Peter talks about this demon rabbi here.

Joking aside, about 100 years ago in Iraq, there was a malevolent spirit who took the form of a learned scholar and began espousing twisted Torah teachings to a child.

Some learned Rabbis eventually caught it out by a series of questions that it answered correctly at first, but eventually failed to answer correctly, and it then vanished.

It's pretty small, more like a ménage à 2.1
And also I wouldn't be there for a menage, so it would be a strictly 1.5 job.
:chuckle:

I have posted about a few others: a grey lady manifestation, a glowing road ghost, a ghost cat, poltergeist activity and a big cat sighting. Plus various legends about music from locked rooms, a ghost on the old church tower etc. Even a couple of crop circles back in 1999. Some of these were multiple-witness occurrences, too.

it is not at all far from famously-haunted Berry Pomeroy Castle, so maybe something about that area…?
Damn autocorrect, yes Dartington, it did change it as I remember thinking of Dartington crystal. It certainly sounds like a very active area.
These stories reminded me of one a friend told me - the same friend I saw the "pterodactyl" with.

She was a girl at the time; I don't remember how old. She was walking down a hallway in her house and as she passed her bedroom was surprised to see a clown - the Bozo/Pennywise kind - on her bed. He was on his stomach, turned wrong way around so his head was sticking out from the foot of the bed. He smiled at her, and suddenly a guillotine blade fell from above and decapitated him!

She ran screaming, but going back to the room found nothing amiss.
That really is the stuff of nightmares! I flipping hate clowns.
It sounds like some kind of fairy. Where about did this occur. Fore some reason it puts me in mind of a pixie. Pixies are not cutsey little things but quite grotesque and some what sinister..
His house (as far as I recall it was a small terrace and a newish build) was situated on a side street off a busy main road. Very much an industrial area of town with lots of shops lining the main road, and many side streets packed with houses branching off.

The non-sceptic side of my brain is reminded of something I was told by a Buddhist friend of mine. Both she and her partner are of that faith - in fact the latter had once served as a monk (or whatever Buddhists call them) in Mexico.

She told me that there is a particular time in the individual's religious journey where that individual becomes very vulnerable to spiritual attack - in her case, at least one expression of this had been, she alleged, an oversized hairy hand that had crawled up her bed one night.

My assumption has always been that this 'attack' would be focused on the individual themselves, but - given Jon's partner's new interest in things spiritual, I wonder if they spill over into those around the target.

The sceptic side of me wonders the same as catseye - night terrors.

According to the "Shurangama Sutra" (a late Buddhist scripture), whenever someone approaches "enlightenment", it disturbs the godly realms. Divine palaces are shaken as if by an earthquake. It works as a kind of alarm / alert which attracts the attention of spirits from "the realm of desire" (the lowest divine world of the Buddhist cosmology). Feeling threatened, the "gods" from this plane are said to react by tempting, threatening or even harming the "culprit".

The underlying concept is that this world is an illusion. However those who live in heavenly paradises enjoy this illusion very much, obviously ... So whenever someone approaches "truth", it threatens their very way of life. Hence their intense hostility towards the spiritually inclined people.

Another common belief in Indian religions is that sometimes spiritual beings attack or challenge mystics simply in order to test them. In Buddhism, there are many tales about the "king of gods" coming down under the guise of an ailing infirm to ask a bodhisattva to give up his limbs or eyes in order to cure him. He only reveals his godly nature after the hero successfully passes the test. Milarepa, the Tibetan mystic turned green from eating too much nettles in his wilderness' retreats, was attacked several times by "demonic beings" who afterwards admitted to have attempted to test his steadiness. That's somewhat similar to the Christian concept of "temptation", as found in the story of Saint Anthony in the desert.

The issue with this theory is that it limits itself to spiritually advanced people. It doesn't apply to "beginners" who just started to go to church, temple, mosque (or whichever religious place of significance). You are not supposed to encounter this kind of challenges after 5 minutes of meditation !

So another non skeptic, and non Buddhist, theory would simply be that when you deal with the spiritual, you open a door to another world you don't necessarily see, but which sees you. It relates with one of the possible non skeptic explanations given for the haunting described in the "Witch Farm" podcast, where one victim admits having undergone a witch initiation in his early years. He suspects that's the source of his troubles.

Now what's the difference between a reconstructed "witch" ceremonial where you call for the powers of a forgotten god / fallen angel, and a charismatic meeting where you call for the miraculous manifestations of the Holy Spirit, or of your deceased grandfather ? In both cases, it's an invocation of a spiritual power from outside, with a touch of "do it yourself" and no assurance about who, exactly, will answer your call. It is like making random phone calls without understanding the concept of a phone call.

If I was bothered by random calls and had the power to scare to death the impertinent caller, maybe I'd do it !

That would be another version of the tale of the ouija session gone wrong.

** Please note that this post only aims at developing Spookdaddy's hypothesis, starting with the Buddhist theory, and taking this as a springboard to propose some additional non skeptic alternatives. As I tend to side with the skeptics, I admit that I do not "believe" in my own suggestions **

Last edited:
Another addition for the night visions/freaky little creatures series:
A few years before he met me (so mid to late '90's) my own ex woke in the middle of the night to witness a foot high goblin creature spinnng about at the foot of the bed. In this instance, the creature grinned at him and started to put on my ex's clothes which he had left on the floor beside the bed. It vanished as he jumped out of bed. No idea if he had planned to accost it, most likely a shock reaction.
Wish I'd been there to witness it!

My own claim to fame involved being chased around the bedroom by a demonic vacuum cleaner rather than a humanoid. It most definitely must have been a dream, or so I hope. Let's just keep that one away from Freud.

A few years before he met me (so mid to late '90's) my own ex woke in the middle of the night to witness a foot high goblin creature spinnng about at the foot of the bed. In this instance, the creature grinned at him and started to put on my ex's clothes which he had left on the floor beside the bed. It vanished as he jumped out of bed. No idea if he had planned to accost it, most likely a shock reaction.

My own claim to fame involved being chased around the bedroom by a demonic vacuum cleaner rather than a humanoid. It most definitely must have been a dream, or so I hope. Let's just keep that one away from Freud.
Did he report that his clothes were disarranged when he came to put them back on in the morning, @merricat? As though someone had been trying them on? Or were they left in such a state that he found it impossible to tell (as is my experience with many men...)?

Did he report that his clothes were disarranged when he came to put them back on in the morning, @merricat? As though someone had been trying them on? Or were they left in such a state that he found it impossible to tell (as is my experience with many men...)?
I doubt he would have bothered to check the clothes, they were probably thrown on the floor to start with so any tampering with them wouldn't stand out :D

How creepy. I also imagined that exact picture that Mooka posted. I think i be seen it on here before plus the film, which is on youtube if anyone fancies getting the creeps on.

Edit - that " mooka" posted.... Autocorrect had put it as "looks" .

The entity also sounds a bit like that horrible Leprechaun in the films of same names.

Last edited:
I doubt he would have bothered to check the clothes, they were probably thrown on the floor to start with so any tampering with them wouldn't stand out :D
An entity could throw my clothes all around my flat and I'd think 'oh, I left my t shirt there, I don't remember doing that' and think nothing more about it. I once found my work trousers in the hallway and simply thought 'how did they get there'. Each night they land where I take them off, in the bedroom. I never take my clothes off in the hallway. That's daft. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to these occasional 'happenings'.

Maybe these things happen more than we realise and we just put it down to "I don't remember doing that' and then promptly forget about it.

Last edited:

Bizarre, and I doubt the clothes would’ve fit it unless you had a teeny tiny ex!

You’re a much braver person than I if you wish you’d have been there to witness it. No, blow that for a lark! Small creepy things are way worse than big creepy things in my book, probably because they have more places they can hide and go unnoticed, waiting to pounce when you’re least expecting it…
How creepy. I also imagined that exact picture that Mooka posted. I think i be seen it on here before plus the film, which is on youtube if anyone fancies getting the creeps on.

Edit - that " mooka" posted.... Autocorrect had put it as "looks" .

The entity also sounds a bit like that horrible Leprechaun in the films of same names.
The little goblin troll thing from the movie is so brilliantly done, it really is super creepy. When my ex was telling me about what his friend had experienced I immediately thought of it *shudder*

She told me that there is a particular time in the individual's religious journey where that individual becomes very vulnerable to spiritual attack - in her case, at least one expression of this had been, she alleged, an oversized hairy hand that had crawled up her bed one night.
[ . . . ]
The sceptic side of me wonders the same as catseye - night terrors.
As I read this the thought came to me that maybe what are known as spiritual attacks and night terrors could be the same thing. They certainly test courage. It could be that the "test" is facing fear of what is in you. That night terrors (or some of them at least) are spiritual attacks, incidents during which you turn around and face the terrifying something inside you. During this phase of spiritual development, one confronts this terror in the form that is most available to you, either as a nightmare, a vision during sleep paralysis or a little creepy monster at the foot of one's bed. (Or on a chair or sewing machine!)

Just a thought to ponder at 2 or 3 am, as the fancy takes you . . .

The stately home in Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day is called Darlington Hall.
Was watching t’fillum recently and thought hold on, didn’t I read summat weird about that place? :thought:

Oh no, it was the other one. As you were. :chuckle:

As I read this the thought came to me that maybe what are known as spiritual attacks and night terrors could be the same thing. They certainly test courage. It could be that the "test" is facing fear of what is in you. That night terrors (or some of them at least) are spiritual attacks, incidents during which you turn around and face the terrifying something inside you. During this phase of spiritual development, one confronts this terror in the form that is most available to you, either as a nightmare, a vision during sleep paralysis or a little creepy monster at the foot of one's bed. (Or on a chair or sewing machine!)

Just a thought to ponder at 2 or 3 am, as the fancy takes you . . .
Spot-on. Most of what frightens us comes from inside our own heads.

Spot-on. Most of what frightens us comes from inside our own heads.
True enough:

3d5f646e13cad0c2f49fe964066f6123.jpg

The stately home in Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day is called Darlington Hall.
Was watching t’fillum recently and thought hold on, didn’t I read summat weird about that place? :thought:

Oh no, it was the other one. As you were. :chuckle:
Agatha Christie lived downriver from Dartington. Not long ago I was watching one of the better tv adaptations of her books and realised it was based on the (in)famous Dartington Hall school that closed in the 80s. It was an 'alternative' school that was plagued by scandal, not least because of its adherence to naturism. The final straw was a female student found dead down by the river in unexplained circumstances.

Back