• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We're all going to Hell in a handbasket.

As it states, it's an 'Artificial Intelligence,' therefore, not an intelligence you could rely on when up against real life situations!
It's more correctly a 'machine learning program'. Artificial Intelligence' sounds a lot scarier, and probably looks better on grant applications, but in the end it's a program with inputs and outputs.

In a way, we've always had this kind of forced redundancy on technology.

I learned orienteering and map-reading in the days before GPRS, satnavs etc. Nowadays, this is a little-taught skill but useful if without the technology. We learned maths using pen/paper and mental arithmetic (which I'm crap at) and *gasp* a slide rule. I bless the inventor of the calculator but at least I know what work the calculator is saving me.
The reliance on technology has always been a danger. Always we should have an alternative ready. But most people want the easy, the shortcut, the fast solution.

I think there's a place for basic techniques beside the tech-heavy skills. Teach what the tech is doing for them so that they can spot if any errors are made and, in a tight spot, they can do things without the tech.

There was a nice episode in "Person of Interest" showing when, during the development of the machine, Harold kept the embryonic code on a laptop, air-gapped, no internet access, inside a screening cage...because once reaching self-awareness, the entity would try and escape. Iirc, one escape attempt even involved modulating the power supply load to transmit 'itself' over the power line...
Internet over power lines is a thing. I've even used it for home networking.

Internet over power lines is a thing. I've even used it for home networking.
I've used the technology a lot (both at the user level and also the electronic design level). The domestic PLC tech. was originally developed for broadband over overhead powerlines (early noughties think). Data is transmitted in a large number of evenly spaced 'tones', (>1000), evenly spaced through the 2-30MHz spectrum. OFDM is used to get data down the lines varying dynamically between 1020QAM and BPSK.

The issue with it for moving broadband over power lines, is that the connection to the (overhead) wires is bidirectional, so data goes in both directions.

Generally it's not practical to put a hardware filter in between 'upstream' and downstream' connections. You'll need around 80-90dB attenuation over 2M-30MHz, to put that in context such a filter for domestic AC power supplies is about the size of a shoe box and weight about 3kg). I did get involved in a MV (4kV) power system that used PLC technology in this way, it worked very well, but it was an underground network so background noise was low and the cost of other salutation were more than the cost of making filters and couplers. This got reasonable connections at >450m.

Practical trials for broadband distribution, used every other tone 'upstream' and the remainder for 'downstream. Units are set up as repeaters then take data from one set of tones and relay it to the alterative tones. Typically such repeater are spaced at about 300 meters. This leaves 600 meters between two transmitter using the same bands and the effect of any bleed over can be ameliorated in firmware, possible by adjusting the ack/nack timeouts at wire level.

https://www.tiktok.com/@jimmeskimen/video
This looks really really strange: have a watch, and perhaps be forced to accept that AI-enabled deepfake technologies just totally-obliterate the boundary lines of depicted reality.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...lebrities-using-wild-deepfake-technology.html
An impressionist has transformed himself into celebrities like Nicholas Cage, Colin Firth, George Clooney, and Robert De Niro using wild, deepfake technology - but can you figure out who he's pretending to be?

Actor and comedian Jim Meskimen, 63, from California, took to TikTok to show off his incredible ability to impersonate celebrities' voices.

In addition, he used impressive deepfake technology to take images of the stars' faces and put them onto himself - leaving many people on the internet stunned over his uncanny imitations of Hollywood's finest.

AI can do creepypasta now :cool:
https://chat.openai.com/chat

My input:
I will describe a scene: A road, behind that a small lake, behind that a hill. I see a small house near the lake and a huge farmhouse higher up the hill. The hill is grassy and stony. It is winter and the trees along the road are bare. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. Please guess what story could be placed here.

AI:
One potential story that could be placed in this scene is a tale of a young family who has recently moved to the small house near the lake. The father works on the huge farmhouse higher up the hill, while the mother stays at home with their young children. As the winter progresses, the family faces challenges and struggles, but ultimately they come together to overcome their obstacles and find happiness in their new home.

My input:
And what king of creepypasta could take place here?

AI:
One potential creepypasta that could take place in this scene is a story about a family who moves into the small house near the lake, only to discover that the farmhouse on the hill is haunted by the ghosts of former residents. The family begins to experience strange and terrifying occurrences, and they must find a way to banish the ghosts and save themselves before it's too late.

Note:
This is the landscape:

1669985277377.png

My input:
I will describe a scene: A road, behind that a small lake, behind that a hill. I see a small house near the lake and a huge farmhouse higher up the hill. The hill is grassy and stony. It is winter and the trees along the road are bare. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. Please guess what story could be placed here.

AI:
One potential story that could be placed in this scene is a tale of a young family who has recently moved to the small house near the lake. The father works on the huge farmhouse higher up the hill, while the mother stays at home with their young children. As the winter progresses, the family faces challenges and struggles, but ultimately they come together to overcome their obstacles and find happiness in their new home.

My input:

AI:
One potential creepypasta that could take place in this scene is a story about a family who moves into the small house near the lake, only to discover that the farmhouse on the hill is haunted by the ghosts of former residents. The family begins to experience strange and terrifying occurrences, and they must find a way to banish the ghosts and save themselves before it's too late.

Note:
This is the landscape:

View attachment 61263
Norway.

Reactions: Sid

My input:

AI:

My input:

AI:

Note:
This is the landscape:

View attachment 61263
Yup Norway.

Last edited:
I'm preparing a layman-led prayer service for the Advent. Out of curiosity I asked the currently hot AI https://chat.openai.com/chat for a prayer suggestion. Now I'm awed and scared at the same time:

Prompt:
Could you write a catholic prayer about avoiding interpersonal conflicts

AI generated answer:
Sure, here is a prayer for avoiding interpersonal conflicts from a Catholic perspective:

Dear God,
We come to you today seeking your wisdom and guidance. Help us to navigate the challenges of interpersonal relationships with grace and understanding.
Grant us the ability to listen carefully to others, to express ourselves clearly and openly, and to be willing to compromise and find common ground.
Teach us the value of forgiveness and reconciliation, and help us to let go of resentment, anger, and hurt.
Give us the strength to seek the guidance and support of others when conflicts arise, and to trust in your wisdom and grace.
We ask this in your holy name. Amen.

So then will all the A.I. "priests" claim to have a direct understanding of what God thinks about some things?

I'm preparing a layman-led prayer service for the Advent. Out of curiosity I asked the currently hot AI https://chat.openai.com/chat for a prayer suggestion. Now I'm awed and scared at the same time:

Prompt:
Could you write a catholic prayer about avoiding interpersonal conflicts

AI generated answer:
Sure, here is a prayer for avoiding interpersonal conflicts from a Catholic perspective:

Dear God,
We come to you today seeking your wisdom and guidance. Help us to navigate the challenges of interpersonal relationships with grace and understanding.
Grant us the ability to listen carefully to others, to express ourselves clearly and openly, and to be willing to compromise and find common ground.
Teach us the value of forgiveness and reconciliation, and help us to let go of resentment, anger, and hurt.
Give us the strength to seek the guidance and support of others when conflicts arise, and to trust in your wisdom and grace.
We ask this in your holy name. Amen.
"Ah! But does that mean that every AI priest would give exactly the same answer?" Not a good outcome if that's a correct assumption!

Yeah, we may as well give up.
Indeed:

From Twitter: Halvar Flake @halvarflake
I think i must've conducted on the order of 100 coding interviews while I worked at Google.
After playing with ChatGPT, I have to say: It is better than the median engineer I interviewed at solving coding interview questions.

From Twitter: Dare Obasanjo @Carnage4Life
ChatGPT is an AI that has mastered a unique human skill, bullshitting. It knows what the shape of a good answer looks like but often not the details. But we’re now learning that even technical people are happy with an answer that looks right instead of is right.

"We find the defendant.......Not a robot!"

In a world first, AI lawyer will help defend a real case in the US.
A program trained with the help of artificial intelligence is set to help a defendant contest his case in a U.S. court next month.
Instead of addressing the court, the program, which will run on a smartphone, will supply appropriate responses through an earpiece to the defendant, who can then use them in the courtroom.
https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/ai-defend-case-us

The robot-law exist from some years now. But was hide behind the work of humans, it consists on AI programs that made the work of searching for related cases and jurisprudence. A very hard and bad payed work that it used to be done by students or people in practice contracts. Now can be done in seconds, and it is not a simple search for related words or terms but a more complex search that seems to find really related cases and sentences.
Probably quite similar is being cooked for architecture, medicine and so on...
Till now innovation have been a menace for low level workers and benefit for the elites, now the innovation menaces this elites so quite surely we will see in the incoming months a non stop media saturation bombing about how evil the innovation has turned and neo posh ludites that get very best friend of the corner antisystem with the flaute and the dog.
3928397519_Close_look_of_a_humanoid_Robot_made_with_old_barroque_ornamentated_porcelaine_parts...png

This sounds like extremely poor judgement.
Architects currently already design and build houses that are a triumph of form over function (in other words, you can't live in them), and after seeing the hash that AI makes when it tries to do something as simple as 'draw people', I expect the buildings designed will be unliveable.

Architecture is on the brink of a technological revolution, with artificial intelligence (AI) poised to transform the design, marketing and creation of buildings.
Work that previously took hours of skilled labour at considerable cost to the profession can now be mimicked instantly, offering clients, architects and architecture students a new tool that could upset established business models.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk...es-why-ai-is-set-to-radically-affect-practice

Most things described as "Artificial Intelligence" are no such thing, they're pattern recognition on steroids.
I suppose you could say that artificial intelligence really is in another form, just like saying. . . "I've read the book, but I still haven't got a clue what it all means?"

I think there should be research done into creating 'artificial stupidity'.
We might learn a lot more about why people are so dumb from it.

Back