• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Canine Forteana (Dogs' Weirdness & Wonders)

From my knowledge of dogs (some very bright, some dumb as a rock) i would say that dogs have a good working vocabulary of human words but absolutely no understanding of grammar, syntax or sentences. Words are single words, so I doubt very much that the dog pressing buttons is deliberately constructing sentences. But I don't see why a very clever dog couldn't be taught to press a button that corresponded to something that they wanted. My current dog, Teal (Patterdale terrier and one of the 'dumb as a rock' dogs) knows that by sitting staring at me she can make me get up and take her for a walk, so I'm fairy sure she could grasp that pressing a certain button could have the same effect.

She's also got quite a wide vocabulary of spoken words, for an idiot.

Rottweiler saves elderly owner from kangaroo in bloody 45min battle

Pam Baldwin, 71, from Albury, Australia recalled how her faithful pooch Bundy helped to protect her after she encountered the wild animal during a walk.

As she enjoyed her stroll in Nail Can Hill, the woman was pounced upon by the vicious roo which knocked her to the ground and left her arm needing stiches.

But when her loyal companion caught wind of his owner’s grave situation, he launched into action and chased the kangaroo away.

Ms Baldwin described how the roo tried to drown her canine near a dam as the pair battled for 45 minutes.

They were eventually saved by paramedics after Pam alerted nearby ramblers who called emergency services.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20170020/hero-dog-saves-oap-kangaroo-bloody-battle/

maximus otter

The dog that walks on 2 legs

Dexter the Brittany spaniel has become something of a celebrity in Ouray, Colorado after teaching himself to walk on his back legs after losing a front leg in a car accident.
After three days, Dexter came home. He’d had a lot of surgery, but the vet was confident he could enjoy a decent quality of life. It took him a long time to recover, and I worked hard on his rehabilitation – building muscle tone, working on his mobility. For a year, Dexter had to wear a cone, and we had a specially commissioned wheelchair made that fitted around his stomach, with wheels at the front, so he could get around on three legs. He was still a puppy, had so much energy and just exuded positivity.

Every morning, first thing, I’d carry him down the porch steps, without his wheelchair, to go out in the yard. One day, I left him at the bottom while I popped inside to get my coffee. When I returned a few seconds later, Dexter was at the top of the steps. I looked around, dumbfounded. How had he got there?

I put him at the bottom again, and waited. Within moments, he jumped up on his two back legs, and hopped up the steps, like he’d been doing it his whole life. I couldn’t believe it. Since then, Dexter has not stopped walking on two legs. He sometimes uses his front left leg for balance, sniffing around on three legs, but when he wants to go fast, he pops up on his two back legs to run.

I spoke to the vet, who was worried about the pressure on his hips. We encouraged him to keep using his wheelchair, but he’d just stand up with it still attached, which could have caused more damage. We never taught Dexter to walk this way, it was all his own idea. He now visits a chiropractor regularly, who says his back is strong and his hips are pure muscle.

Dexter is now seven. He has rewritten the rules of what it means to have a physical impairment. Nothing slows him down, and he’s the most joyful dog – determined and tenacious. I’m so proud of him. I receive letters from around the world from people in tough situations, saying, “If Dexter can do it, so can I.” He went viral after a clip of him, taken by a stranger, ended up on primetime television in the US. He’s delighted with all the attention – and treats. But at the end of the day, he’s still our family pet, a dog who loves chasing balls, fetching sticks and going for a run in the park. After the accident, the vet said he must have had a serious will to live, and Dexter definitely does.
1666464751279.png

video at link.

When I take our dog, we can walk for miles through woods, fields and on isolated stretches of canal. But, why is it that very often when she needs to poop, she insists on going right up to a parked-up canal boat's window, has a look through the window, and then turns around so she's facing away from the boat to do her business? I'm sure that the canalists eating their lunch do not want to see this.

why is it that very often when she needs to poop, she insists on going right up to a parked-up canal boat's window, has a look through the window, and then turns around so she's facing away from the boat to do her business?
Because of your careful training?
Either that or your dog is a reincarnation of GG Allin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

I wonder if a police dog comforted her as well.

A lost dog has been reunited with its owners after walking into a police station.

Rosie sought help from officers after being scared by a firework on 3 November.

CCTV footage from Loughborough Police Station captured the moment the border collie arrived and took a seat in the waiting room.
Leicestershire Police staff fetched some water and gave her a fuss before calling the number on her ID tag.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-63633683

Why will our dog happily swim in freezing cold water or lie in the snow- but refuses to go for a wee at home when it's slightly drizzling?
There's an easy answer to that. Dogs are dumb.
Plus they're probably being considerate, not making their human helpers go out in the rain.

Why will our dog happily swim in freezing cold water or lie in the snow- but refuses to go for a wee at home when it's slightly drizzling?
That's unusual - most dogs are only too happy to go outside whatever.. Nice looking mutt btw.

That's unusual - most dogs are only too happy to go outside whatever.. Nice looking mutt btw.
That's an old photo. I have some recent videos of her swimming, but don't think I can post them on here.

That's unusual - most dogs are only too happy to go outside whatever..
I thought the same until being introduced to Cavalier King Charles Spaniels :chuckle: I kid you not I’ve been known to go out on our back garden when it’s raining holding an umbrella over one of our Cavaliers, otherwise he has refused to go out. Another stunt they like pulling is when it’s pouring with rain only going out on the garden if I go with them.

I thought the same until being introduced to Cavalier King Charles Spaniels :chuckle: I kid you not I’ve been known to go out on our back garden when it’s raining holding an umbrella over one of our Cavaliers, otherwise he has refused to go out. Another stunt they like pulling is when it’s pouring with rain only going out on the garden if I go with them.
Our old dog who was nothing like this one ie hated mud and water etc, wouldn't even go out if it had rained hours before and the pavers were just slightly damp.

Ours also does a good Ranulph Fiennes inpersonation (He lives nearby so perhaps she's seen him about);
378b.jpg

Do you also have to wee in the garden at the same time to encourage it?

Do you also have to wee in the garden at the same time to encourage it?
I suggested my husband try it but we didn’t think the neighbours would appreciate it.
Since I always follow the dogs outside they in turn follow me to the toilet as they obviously think that’s how it works :D

Ours also does a good Ranulph Fiennes inpersonation (He lives nearby so perhaps she's seen him about);

Lovely dog! Our last dog was a springer and loved water and snow. He often ended up looking like Ranulph too
47B54050-BAFC-4BED-BB02-631C5C818988.jpeg

8C123D99-6575-49AF-9835-BC3CA0244B27.jpeg

I suggested my husband try it but we didn’t think the neighbours would appreciate it.
Since I always follow the dogs outside they in turn follow me to the toilet as they obviously think that’s how it works :D

Lovely dog! Our last dog was a springer and loved water and snow. He often ended up looking like Ranulph tooView attachment 61260
View attachment 61261
That is one happy dog!

'Reckless driver' turns out to be dog behind wheel of Texas parking lot crash

KILGORE, Texas - Police in Texas "apprehended a reckless driver" Thursday that turned out to be a dog who crashed into two cars in a Walmart parking lot.

According to Kilgore Police Department, one of the victims noticed the suspect "barrelling down on him" but couldn't get out of the way.

AA14Pyt0.img

"He was shocked to see the driver was a dog!," KPD shared on social media. "Yep, the pooch was actually behind the wheel when the crash occurred."

The investigation revealed the furry friend was sitting in an unoccupied vehicle waiting on his family while they shopped.

"He apparently got a little antsy and bounced around the cab setting this truck in motion," the police continued. "The steering column had some prior damage and this pooch must have placed the vehicle in drive."

Officials added that the dog was also wearing a leash, and it’s believed that he got it caught on the emergency brake and released it.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/reckles...e-dog-behind-wheel-of-texas-parking-lot-crash

maximus otter

Shows the stupidity of leaving the engine running whilst shopping unless the dog also had a key or pressed the engine starter button.

Shows the stupidity of leaving the engine running whilst shopping unless the dog also had a key or pressed the engine starter button.
I think he released the brake and it just rolled without the engine running.

It might have been nice if the dog had also tooted the horn and flashed the lights.

Dog picks up plastic bottles on walks

In Nuneaton.

Scruff the 13 year old collie loves to collect them & has picked up more than 1000 this year.

Owner Yvonne Faulkner-Grant says he paw-sed to grab 104 in November, as #scruffsbottlepatrol on Facebook shows.

"He'll see one on the other side of the road and look at me as if to say, 'Can I get it?'," the 47-year-old says.
She and her husband David, 48, said that about a year ago, they realised that Scruff would pick up a bottle but then drop it when he found the next

"It seemed wrong that he would pick the bottle up and then drop it again - we thought people would think we were dropping litter," said Yvonne.

"So we got him to start bringing the bottles to us and we put them in a bag and then count them up at the end of the walk - I'd say he will have collected at a least 1,000 this year.

Neighbour and friend Caroline Round, who also gets to walk Scruff, says he "will not go past a bottle without picking it up - he's so intelligent".

"He will always stop on his walk and won't move on until he's picked it up. If you're in a field with him, he will be off the lead and away," she says.

"And, when he comes back he will always have [a] bottle in his mouth.”

Now Yvonne and David just have the mammoth task of counting how many bottles he has collected - before taking them all to the recycling centre at the end of the year.
1670280968470.png

Dog picks up plastic bottles on walks

In Nuneaton.

Scruff the 13 year old collie loves to collect them & has picked up more than 1000 this year.

Owner Yvonne Faulkner-Grant says he paw-sed to grab 104 in November, as #scruffsbottlepatrol on Facebook shows.

"He'll see one on the other side of the road and look at me as if to say, 'Can I get it?'," the 47-year-old says.

View attachment 61353
Nuneaton is the dump i was born and raised it. An utterly depressing hole.

Back