• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Apparently electricity is more expensive than gas because of the environmental taxes that have to be paid even though it's more environmentally sound to use compared to gas. What's that all about?

Money.
pure and simple.
I'd much rather have an electric wall mounted heater in each room instead of pipes and radiators all over the place. They look better and are quiet and quick to warm up, but the cost of running them prohibits this unfortunately.

I often walked up a road and could smell chimney smoke. Eventually I found the culprit and took a picture. It’s a bit odd with the solar panels. The old and the new. Also this was in june.
1DF323AF-C084-4131-BF39-185F3D354BDA.jpeg

I often walked up a road and could smell chimney smoke. Eventually I found the culprit and took a picture. It’s a bit odd with the solar panels. The old and the new. Also this was in june, we’re not generally posh enough for AGAs in my neighbourhood but this does make me wonder. View attachment 61435
They have solar panels, a chimney that's in use and all their windows are open?
Their carbon footprint must be huge.

They have solar panels, a chimney that's in use and all their windows are open?
Their carbon footprint must be huge.
They don’t seem to know what they’re doing or if they’re hot or cold.

(I’d edited the bit about AGAs as I thought they were solid fuel powered apparently they’re gas. Shows what I know)

They don’t seem to know what they’re doing or if they’re hot or cold.

(I’d edited the bit about AGAs as I thought they were solid fuel powered apparently they’re gas. Shows what I know)
It was always wood when I were a lad, tha' knows.

Just thinking about the 'smart meters';
They have segments in green, amber and red, but who's to say that green is 'OK'? It may be for some people but not others. Who has decided that if the needle is in the green, you are not spending a lot, but if it's in the red you are?

Perhaps they use the solar panels to focus the heat to light the coal fire?

Maybe they have a gas version now but someone I knew about 30 years ago had one that used solid fuel.

Just thinking about the 'smart meters';
They have segments in green, amber and red, but who's to say that green is 'OK'? It may be for some people but not others. Who has decided that if the needle is in the green, you are not spending a lot, but if it's in the red you are?
'Cos it's green innit? If it's green it's saving the planet. Nearly as good as "eco" is green.

'Cos it's green innit? If it's green it's saving the planet. Nearly as good as "eco" is green.
Right gotcha! Our living room is currently 12c so I'd better get it on! (Only keeping it in the green of course).

Well I always thought AGAs were solid fuel but when I had a look on wiki it implied they were gas now. Which I suppose it’s easier than keeping shoving the fuel in. I can’t say I’ve ever been impressed with them myself.

Well I always thought AGAs were solid fuel but when I had a look on wiki it implied they were gas now. Which I suppose it’s easier than keeping shoving the fuel in. I can’t say I’ve ever been impressed with them myself.
The AGA I had was solid fuel and you can get them to run on gas no problem. Bloody useless thing it was.

I'd much rather have an electric wall mounted heater in each room instead of pipes and radiators all over the place. They look better and are quiet and quick to warm up, but the cost of running them prohibits this unfortunately.
We have electric heaters in each room and, yes, they are so expensive to run. We're not on a gas main, we can't have storage heaters or Economy 7 because we'd need a smart meter. We can't replace the ancient meter we have with a smart meter because *deep breath* ... Two types - old and new - are available but the new type can't be used thanks to the vicinity of GCHQ tech in this area and there's such a long waiting list for the old type that they're effectively unavailable.
The AGA I had was solid fuel and you can get them to run on gas no problem. Bloody useless thing it was.
My ol' mum and dad got one, even though they had a decent calor gas cooker, because a) it was posh and b) they had an open coal fire with a back boiler to heat water. The AGA was used maybe once a week because it made their tiny kitchen boiling to work in and you'd scorch your arms accidentally brushing against it. In the end they stopped using it as a cooker and it became another work surface.
The coal fire/back boiler was grand in the winter ... but in the summer, they just used an emersion heater instead.
My parents never thought things through.

We have electric heaters in each room and, yes, they are so expensive to run. We're not on a gas main, we can't have storage heaters or Economy 7 because we'd need a smart meter. We can't replace the ancient meter we have with a smart meter because *deep breath* ... Two types - old and new - are available but the new type can't be used thanks to the vicinity of GCHQ tech in this area and there's such a long waiting list for the old type that they're effectively unavailable.
Unbelievable!

MiL/FiL only recently had a smart meter. They still had the really old style one with the disc that spins around in a bakelite box. It still looked brand new. Their house is 1937 and I'd bet it could have been there since then.

*Last year we bought a couple of the portable electric jobbies*. They are very good for short periods. I only use the 750w setting though. One of them has a timer which can be useful. The heat they produce seems different somehow as well. I find that standard radiators make me irritable after a while. Also our pipework to them was put in by an idiot so that also annoys me.

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_155700.jpg
    IMG_20210919_155700.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Electric Infra Red heaters are the latest thing being plugged [sic] as cheaper/more efficient way of heating in these times of huge power costs & cold snap.

Anyone here using them & can give us an opinion?

Electric Infra Red heaters are the latest thing being plugged [sic] as cheaper/more efficient way of heating in these times of huge power costs & cold snap.

Are they the same as what I call 'Halogen heaters'? If so we've had a couple for years and I find them very good, plus they light up the room so you can save on lighting.

Are they the same as what I call 'Halogen heaters'? If so we've had a couple for years and I find them very good, plus they light up the room so you can save on lighting.
A bit confusing but Halogen heaters are infrared but not all infrared heaters use Halogen. From a brief googling I think the ones that glow are Halogen but you can get ones that don't glow which use Tungsten or Quartz.

Do you use them instead of central heating or as well as?

The standalone electric powered oil filled radiators (similar size and shape as those 'convector' jobbies) are very good for leaving on to warm a room constantly.
Like these.
best rads

Ceramic heaters are becoming popular. Halogen ones didn’t really seem to take off. To me they look a bit scary.

A bit confusing but Halogen heaters are infrared but not all infrared heaters use Halogen. From a brief googling I think the ones that glow are Halogen but you can get ones that don't glow which use Tungsten or Quartz.

Do you use them instead of central heating or as well as?
Usually instead of, but that's if MrsF isn't about and I just need the one room warming. I used to have one set on timer in the bedroom as they also give a nice warm glow and light up the room when it's a dark morning. Not the best looking things I suppose, but they're quite cheap (£25-30) so it would be worth trying one. They usually have three settings but I only ever use one. Over time the bulbs blow but you've got the remaining ones to use. One of ours is on its last bulb now but we've had it for ages.

Back