• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

British Bigfoot?

I wonder whether this account should be considered as a British Bigfoot sighting, although later commenters on that thread try to tie the apparition in to Kirkstall Abbey, which is a couple of miles to the east. It's a stretch of road I frequently travel on, and I walk the dog on the riverside path at that point, too. So it's of slightly more than academic interest to me, this one.

ETA there are actually three bridges in quick succession along that stretch of the A6120: over the railway, the river Aire, and the Leeds -Liverpool canal, in that order as you come down the hill from the Horsforth roundabout mentioned. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the River bridge is the one in the "dip of the valley".
Deborah Singleton a k a Bee on YouTube. A very similar report was passed to a Bigfoot group on Facebook in the early 90s.

Oh, yes. I know about the politics and splinter groups, etc - it's the main reason I'm wary of how these discussions can rapidly descend. Suffice to say there are numerous groups, some more reasonable and collaborative than others, and we can leave it at that.
When I read your article, I was genuinely interested.
Seems to me that a certain amount of people in the groups are so convinced that they refuse any counter-evidence or even discussion. Merely questioning - with an air of genuine curiosity - invokes the 'righteous fury' of the Believers on the Non-believer. You get the same with many special interest groups with ghosts and philosophical belief systems etc.
It would be great to discuss possibilities (such as British Bigfoot is a thoughtform or similar to a tulpa) but once the groups dogma has been established, there is no further discussion possible. The groups that claim they encourage discussion really want 'true believers' to confirm the dogma. Thus, science-lite investigation groups become entrenched and miss any development in their chosen field of interest.
I despair, really. It's like a genuinely well-intentioned person doggedly watching a door with cameras etc. at the ready, convinced that a ghost will come through it. When you tap them on the shoulder to point out the full bodied apparition dressed in Roman garb behind at them, they'll snap at you to leave them alone - you'll make them miss the spook!

When I read your article, I was genuinely interested.
Seems to me that a certain amount of people in the groups are so convinced that they refuse any counter-evidence or even discussion. Merely questioning - with an air of genuine curiosity - invokes the 'righteous fury' of the Believers on the Non-believer. You get the same with many special interest groups with ghosts and philosophical belief systems etc.
It would be great to discuss possibilities (such as British Bigfoot is a thoughtform or similar to a tulpa) but once the groups dogma has been established, there is no further discussion possible. The groups that claim they encourage discussion really want 'true believers' to confirm the dogma. Thus, science-lite investigation groups become entrenched and miss any development in their chosen field of interest.
I despair, really. It's like a genuinely well-intentioned person doggedly watching a door with cameras etc. at the ready, convinced that a ghost will come through it. When you tap them on the shoulder to point out the full bodied apparition dressed in Roman garb behind at them, they'll snap at you to leave them alone - you'll make them miss the spook!
Frustrating really. You would think there would be a willingness to collaborate, given that we are all looking for answers but end up with more questions. Alas, the ego seems to keep getting in the way in some groups.

Frustrating really. You would think there would be a willingness to collaborate, given that we are all looking for answers but end up with more questions. Alas, the ego seems to keep getting in the way in some groups.
I feel that these folks think they have the answers (or want to pretend to have them) and don't want them questioned. It throws their own superiority in doubt.

The groups that claim they encourage discussion really want 'true believers' to confirm the dogma.
This is entirely the case. And of course it goes for lots of groups, Fortean and mainstream alike: "We welcome discussion and alternative viewpoints provided they entirely agree with ours." Any attempt to engage with less than utter accord is viewed as hostile.

As with the more extreme UFO groups, it's easier to just shut down questions by claiming they are covert official actions and banning the questioner "for their own security" than actually being obliged to account for their own inconsistencies.

Precisely. It's the same tactics as the government introducing draconian police powers "in the interests of security", as if that phrase is unarguable. Or the label "project fear" was used to shut down any negative argument in the Brexit debate.
Ultimately it's the introduction of the concept of "fake news" - the definition of which is any debate or report that runs counter to your own views.
Yes, videos can be faked, there has always been misinformation and misdirection in public discourse. But it has become the blanket dismissal of any public forum. Just because something can be dishonest, doesn't mean everything is dishonest.

A lot of people say British Bigfoot isn't real but, what if, he hid behind a tree or in a hole?

This is entirely the case. And of course it goes for lots of groups, Fortean and mainstream alike: "We welcome discussion and alternative viewpoints provided they entirely agree with ours." Any attempt to engage with less than utter accord is viewed as hostile.

As with the more extreme UFO groups, it's easier to just shut down questions by claiming they are covert official actions and banning the questioner "for their own security" than actually being obliged to account for their own inconsistencies.
I found myself in a Facebook group revolving around Bigfoot and a huge truth reveal. I don't know if I am right, although I seriously suspect I am...the content from some of the members, mostly admins,appear seriously delusional. It is the most bizarre group I have ever come across. It invites discussion, then denigrates discussive ideas.
Any insights on these individuals who wish to reveal all,but don't.
And are probably detrimental in my opinion?

I found myself in a Facebook group revolving around Bigfoot and a huge truth reveal. I don't know if I am right, although I seriously suspect I am...the content from some of the members, mostly admins,appear seriously delusional. It is the most bizarre group I have ever come across. It invites discussion, then denigrates discussive ideas.
Any insights on these individuals who wish to reveal all,but don't.
And are probably detrimental in my opinion?
The possibility of a British Bigfoot is nil - it’s delusional. Where do they hang out according to these people?

We are an overpopulated, deforested island. There is nowhere a population of 7-8 foot hominins could exist in the UK.
Im glad you wrote deforested because if Scotland had the tree cover its supposed to have then I suppose its as possible as anywhere else that something big could hide away.

The people in said group would say that you are spooks for MI5
They are helping some guy write a book through mind speak and are multi-lingual. And they trashed some woman's house in Scotland!

We are an overpopulated, deforested island. There is nowhere a population of 7-8 foot hominins could exist in the UK.
I've always thought that, there are no unexplored areas in the UK such an animal could exist without ever being seen.

In the north USA/Canada there are such areas.

There's actually still a surprising amount of very remote unfrequented space even in the British Isles. Though I'm loath to say that's an argument in favour of a Brit Bigfoot!

For one thing people tend to "see" them in bizarre places, like their suburban back gardens or in a small stretch of managed conifer plantation less than five miles wide.

How would a 7ft tall 1,000lb animal possibly find enough to eat, never mind avoid detection, in places like that?

And have you notices it's not just Bigfoot any more? Both here and in the US we are now getting Dogmen muscling in on the huge biped scene.

Makes you think the Jungian "thought form" theory might have something going for it.

And yes, having watched a number of YT vids on the subject, the British Bigfoot groups seem to be full of zealots and currently undiagnosed psychiatric cases, even more than the US ones.

There's actually still a surprising amount of very remote unfrequented space even in the British Isles. Though I'm loath to say that's an argument in favour of a Brit Bigfoot!

For one thing people tend to "see" them in bizarre places, like their suburban back gardens or in a small stretch of managed conifer plantation less than five miles wide.

How would a 7ft tall 1,000lb animal possibly find enough to eat, never mind avoid detection, in places like that?

And have you notices it's not just Bigfoot any more? Both here and in the US we are now getting Dogmen muscling in on the huge biped scene.

Makes you think the Jungian "thought form" theory might have something going for it.

And yes, having watched a number of YT vids on the subject, the British Bigfoot groups seem to be full of zealots and currently undiagnosed psychiatric cases, even more than the US ones.
I think most of it is attention seeking nuts but there may be something to the 'thought form' in some cases.

The people in said group would say that you are spooks for MI5...

I've often wondered why us spooks...ahem...I've often wondered why people working for the intelligence services are always on the 'con' side rather than the 'pro'. I mean, there's got to be as many ways in which the presence of eight-foot ape men wandering around the British countryside could be useful to them, as there are for them to be an inconvenience.

Sorry sir, you’ll have to turn around and go home. Latest COBRA meeting has set the UK security level at critical. No-ones allowed out after 19.00 because of the likelihood of giant flying vampire wodewose attacks. Yes, sir – that’s correct; next week’s elections have been postponed as well, and the opposition parties have been housed in a sasquatch proof Travelodge in Hull - for their own protection, of course. On your way now.

There are areas in Scotland where a lone “off the gridder” may wander about largely unnoticed – like the Leopard man of Skye, but a population of eight foot man beasts? No.

Mind you I notice that “Finding Bigfoot” in the Pacific North Western USA are currently on, Bigfoot with the ability to “cloak”, orbs, black helicopters and military involvement! They don’t seem to have realised that the cloaking and military involvement does away with the need for Bigfoot.

Unfortunately this becomes the public face of Bigfoot research and risks any genuine research into a living animal/hominin being trivialised.

Has anyone heard of a Dr Paul Eunson (crypto) zoologist who has slain 136 bigfeet/ yetis?
I can't find any links to his numerous websites. He has recently been forced to go to ground in the southern hemisphere to escape MI5.

Ghillie suits?
Having read quite a few British Bigfoot reports I have to agree that ghillie suits must have been the culprit on a number of occasions. Not something you tend to see in everyday life but there are plenty of people such as gamekeepers and wildlife photographers who use them. But they certainly don't explain every account or, for example, Nick redfern's Staffordshire 'man-monkey' reports:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAN-MONKEY-British-Bigfoot-Nick-Redfern/dp/1905723164/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2GSFDUUT5R0HL&keywords=man+monkey+redfern&qid=1671280209&sprefix=man+monkey+redfern,aps,86&sr=8-1

Personally, I feel seemingly sane and rational people who report such creature and werewolves, dogmen etc in the UK are seeing something paranormal. I highly recommend Nick Redfern's work into such sightings on Cannock Chase and elsewhere, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildman-Nick-Redfern/dp/1909488046/ref=sr_1_30?qid=1671280511&refinements=p_27:Nick+Redfern&s=books&sr=1-30

(but not Lee Brickley's....)

Dead right. There is masses of space in the forests and mountains of Asia too but not here in Blighty.
I've got no real view point on British Bigfoot existing or not. I do wonder though if these various entities, creatures and the like, are only seen when the person is in a particular state of being, consciousness or mental state, that they themselves may not be aware of, that enable them to see Bigfoot, etc, that ordinarily they wouldn't be able to see?

I've got no real view point on British Bigfoot existing or not. I do wonder though if these various entities, creatures and the like, are only seen when the person is in a particular state of being, consciousness or mental state, that they themselves may not be aware of, that enable them to see Bigfoot, etc, that ordinarily they wouldn't be able to see?
Agreed, perhaps combined with a particular location, for example prehistoric barrows and standing stones seem to be a particular focus for such sightings in their environs (sources: Theo Brown (folklorist) and Nick Redfern)

Back