• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Whatever happened to Rynner?

I noticed his account has been retired.

He left the board over changes to policy.

He did continue to log in regularly without posting for a number of months after that, but then he stopped and we have found no evidence of his appearing anywhere else online either.

Members used to regularly post to his favourite thread as a kind of beacon to light, but it didn't seem to work:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-lone-coastguard-maritime-news-notes.53104/

He left the board over changes to policy.

He did continue to log in regularly without posting for a number of months after that, but then he stopped and we have found no evidence of his appearing anywhere else online either.

Members used to regularly post to his favourite thread as a kind of beacon to light, but it didn't seem to work:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-lone-coastguard-maritime-news-notes.53104/

Yithian,

May I ask why? What policy?

Seems like an odd thing to do when yo have made over 50,000 posts.

It's a forum, you read stuff and post stuff. No need to get involved in the politics.

Yithian,

May I ask why? What policy?

Seems like an odd thing to do when yo have made over 50,000 posts.

It's a forum, you read stuff and post stuff. No need to get involved in the politics.

I confess that the exact details are hazy, but we introduced a number of stipulations about posting news stories, most notably that members only quote extracts and provide links, not copy and post whole articles.

This was because we'd been contacted by a popular British newspaper who had introduced a paywall and asked us not to reproduce their material.

We also requested that a distinction be maintained between Fortean and non-Fortean aspects of topics (we don't want an article about the rising price of mushrooms on the Fortean Fungi thread).

He didn't flat-out refuse to do these things, but he'd ignore them so often that he got sick of being reminded to do so and having his posts moved or deleted.

I believe he also had multiple technical problems with his old computer at the time; it seems he had simply reached the end of his teather.

I confess that the exact details are hazy, but we introduced a number of stipulations about posting news stories, most notably that members only quote extracts and provide links, not copy and post whole articles.

This was because we'd been contacted by a popular British newspaper who had introduced a paywall and asked us not to reproduce their material.

We also requested that a distinction be maintained between Fortean and non-Fortean aspects of topics (we don't want an article about the rising price of mushrooms on the Fortean Fungi thread).

He didn't flat-out refuse to do these things, but he'd ignore them so often that he got sick of being reminded to do so and having his posts moved or deleted.

I believe he also had multiple technical problems with his old computer at the time; it seems he had simply reached the end of his teather.

Hi Yithian,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply.

I got the impression that Rynner was so cut off from life down in Hayle (Cornwall) that this forum was his only connection to the real world.

Hi Yithian,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply.

I got the impression that Rynner was so cut off from life down in Hayle (Cornwall) that this forum was his only connection to the real world.
I hope that he's doing well, and would just pop in from time to time, to say that's still alive and kicking....

This might seem a bit mad, but I swear there was a poser called 'old time radio', it seems like it might have been a dream at this point, but I am sure it was this forum. The poster, I think, was male and in the US.

Also, 'Birdy'. And 'Kchoo'!

Also, this Cromer place sounds mighty interesting..
That’s interesting, I sometimes peruse this thread to see if anyone mentions Old Time Radio and your comment caught my eye - then I saw I got a namecheck too! I’m still here, lurking in the shadows waiting patiently for some Black Stick Men content :)

"What. . . you mean there's a real world out there?"
And it looks like this -

7a997efa-33e4-4d26-a62b-1662d4154bbb_text-2.gif
1eddfa6f-aa0a-4560-b7ad-36472d0b441b_text-3.gif
tumblr_phqexiWAqL1wzw0ebo4_640-4.gif
tumblr_phqexiWAqL1wzw0ebo5_640-3.gif

And now, back to the thread. Before the Mods get sarcastic!

I also remember Again6.
And liveinabin, pietro mercurios (??) wasn't he a staff member at one point (as was Rynner)?

Liveinabin: no information; also a favourite of mine.

Pietromercurios/Androman: left after stating that he had developed a serious computer/Internet addiction and needed to redress the balance. Yes, he was a moderator.

Again6: name rings no immediate bells.

Yes, Rynner was a very active mod for a while.

Liveinabin: no information;
Nor me. She just sort of vanished.
Again6: name rings no immediate bells.
Does with me. Rather firm in her beliefs, robust in defending them, not really a 'people person'.
Yes, Rynner was a very active mod for a while.
Very active. Very, very active. Oh my god, was he active, especially with merges. Left unaddressed, it's feasible we'd have had just two, colossal, 500k threads, one called Chat and one called Forteana.

Again6 created very long and thorough posts, for some reason she reminded me slightly of 'Dollfeet' from the old *DS 'creepy' threads back in 2010ish. Those were absolutely fantastic reading for a slow, winter's eve, although they did become something of the 'Dollfeet' show until someone suggested she knock it on the head.

*Digital Spy forum - what's the creepiest thing ever to happen to you?, or some such. Can't say I was a fan of the site in general.

Back