• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

not really a 'people person'.
That's me.
C'mon though....I can't help it if I have an issue with 'people'.
"A person is smart, but people are stupid" a wise man once said. Or it could have been a wise woman. I forget.
I would tell you what the difference is between ignorance and apathy, but I don't know and I don't care.

I hereby, with no power to do so, open the floor for comments.

Mod name
Mod genius
Best remembered example of genius
I think my favourite ever post on this forum has to be when ex mod Rynner declared "I'm not sharing a cave with a bunch of farting tossers.". He was all warm and cuddly like that. You probably had to be there.

He had his good moments, he could also be a bit of a stick in the mud. He got really cross with me once for mixing up the correct usage of the words nob and knob. So I did it on purpose for a little bit.
Didn't he have a thing for buses?

Dare I suggest that, since he departed this message board, "all the boards did shrink", just a little?

Well, yes - given that the endless cutting and pasting of pages and pages of interminable news media content stopped almost overnight.

I liked Rynner :D

Thing is, Rynner didn't really much like anyone else - same for Pietro Mercurios. Or at least, if they did - they made a splendid job of hiding the fact. I'd suggest that anyone who never experienced their particular brands of quite vicious bad temperedness never expressed an opinion of their own.

I know we're supposed to get all misty eyed about this sort of stuff - and I'm sorry if this takes me off peoples Christmas card list - but a little bit of realism never goes amiss when dealing with nostalgia. There are lots of interesting, well-informed, funny and good natured individuals around here who have not torn up their comics and buggered off when they haven't had their own way - I can't help feeling that the good health of the board might be better served by appreciating them.

Last edited:
I should emphasise that my previous post was not a personal dig at more positive opinions expressed by others - opinions, which I appreciate represent a fair proportion of people here. I am afraid that I experience a particular type of irrepressible queasiness when current nostalgia appears to smooth over the realities of the past.

No, I don't really do nostalgia, although I can lend myself to a touch of the whimsies when it suits me.
I liked Rynner - particularly prior to his growing obsession with newspaper cut/pastes - due to his shared thoughts and comments on the forum, which never leaped one way or the other regarding his openness towards, and interest in, unusual phenomena.
I do read the archives a lot so many of his earlier posts are still rather 'current' to me, if that makes sense. I didn't always agree with him.

I'm certainly aware of his cantankerousness, though! (although who might hope to compete with our resident King Trev???:cool:)..

I should emphasise that my previous post was not a personal dig at more positive opinions expressed by others - opinions, which I appreciate represent a fair proportion of people here. I am afraid that I experience a particular type of irrepressible queasiness when current nostalgia appears to smooth over the realities of the past.

I did have a few run ins with Pietro but I do miss his contributions, Rynner could be a curmudgeon but again he posted a lot of interesting stuff even if a precis would have been preferable.

Back