• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Know More Info On Giant Upright Monkey Photo?

A

Anonymous

I saw this on AOL news last friday but my computer seized up and could not read the article.It was on the welcome page friday afternoon. It showed a monkey that was photgraphed upright in a jungle somewhere. It was photgraphed with a motion activated camera.:)

This isn't the DeLoy's"ape"photo is it?An old black and white picture of what looks like a giant tailless spider monkey sitting upright on a wooden crate with a long stick under it's chin propping it up?

If it was DeLoy's ape, there was a good article on it in Fortean Times some time back. It seems that the man who took the picture was fundamentally racist, and had a theory that the various races of humanity had evelved from different apes. Caucasians were from chimps, Negroes from gorillas, and Asians from Ouran Utans. Unfortunately there were no New World apes for the American Indians, so he invented one.

You might have more luck with the FT search engine than me.

Not Deloy

It was a color photo not blac and white.Very recent article. This is going to drive me nuts!

What a let-down. I read the topic of this thread as "...giant upright monkey piano"

Atch said:
What a let-down. I read the topic of this thread as "...giant upright monkey piano"

I know the feeling. When it originally appeared there was no S.A.R.S. prefix, and I thought the thread was "Yikes! A Plaque" :confused:

uh, sorry soupster, back to giant monkeys

I think what you're talking about is the "Giant Chimps in the Congo" thread in the Cryptozoology forum. It's definitely not DeLoys' Ape - that was South American. This is a recent photo taken in Africa of what looks like a very very large chimp.

Atch said:

Ever heard the one about George the PG tips chimp? You know, the one where the they are removal men - and they have to stop for a nice cup of PG due to the difficulty of moving a piano down the stairs?

Anyway, George was allowed to practice on a real piano - to encourage him to bang the keys. Once filming began - George was supposed to bang away on the keys of a fake piano (as it was stuck in the middle of some stairs). George, being a method acting chimp refused to bang the keyboard of a fake piano. At their wits end, the company filming the advert finally decided to rig up a real piano stuck in the stairway. Amazingly, George was then perfectly happy to bang away at the keys.

George is the Robert de Niro of chimp actors.

Totally irrelevant but, for some reason, this thread reminded me of the story and it is a great story.

i figured it out here it is...

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0414_030314_strangeape.html
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
i figured it out here it is...
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0414_030314_strangeape.html
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Bump ...

I finally tracked down the photo, using the URL by which it had been remote-linked onto other websites.

Bili-Ape-NatGeo-2003.jpg

NOTE: This photo shows the Bili Ape. Here's the thread dedicated to the Bili Ape:

The Bili Ape (aka Bondo Mystery Ape; "Lion Killer")
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-bili-ape-aka-bondo-mystery-ape-lion-killer.3468/

Back