• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let The Right One In (NOT Alexa)

Can Alexa be used to speak to Ghosts.
This Tik Tok footage on YouTube purports to show a ghost conversing through an Alexa. The clip starts with a lot of unexplained noise that causes the dude asleep on the sofa to get up whereupon the “Ghost” starts to speak through the Alexa.

I found the link after the story was featured on the Macabre London podcast.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/macabre-london-podcast/id1180202350?i=1000590902170

I can think of situations when a reminder to drink might be good.

Heavy work, or hot weather.

All too easy to get dehydrated.

The ones that disturbs me is the mirror; seriously, who thought that one up?

I can think of situations when a reminder to drink might be good.

Heavy work, or hot weather.

All too easy to get dehydrated.

The ones that disturbs me is the mirror; seriously, who thought that one up?
I didn't quite get the mirror as I had an 'eyes glaze over' episode whilst reading about it.

The problem with a container that reminds the person to take sip, and other such devices, is a person can become dependant on technology for basic everyday activities.

I didn't quite get the mirror as I had an 'eyes glaze over' episode whilst reading about it.

The problem with a container that reminds the person to take sip, and other such devices, is a person can become dependant on technology for basic everyday activities.

True. I've got a smartwatch that (if you want it to) can tell you to stand up if you've been sitting for too long, can remind you to drink more and wash you hands for at least 20 seconds when it senses you are doing this.
I have all of these features turned off as not only are they a drain on the battery, but I am also an adult who takes responsibility for my own daily welfare.

I have to confess that I am a chronic underdrinker and I'd probably benefit from a gentle reminder to have some water now and again.

I have to confess that I am a chronic underdrinker and I'd probably benefit from a gentle reminder to have some water now and again.
My Mum is like this. I have to keep reminding her.

This Tik Tok footage on YouTube purports to show a ghost conversing through an Alexa. The clip starts with a lot of unexplained noise that causes the dude asleep on the sofa to get up whereupon the “Ghost” starts to speak through the Alexa.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/macabre-london-podcast/id1180202350?i=1000590902170
Interesting. The guy does seem pretty chilled about it. Was he expecting something maybe? Had his Alexa started talking spooky before, I wonder? I wonder who Stacey (??) is. And at the end, is Alexa repeatedly saying 'TV' or 'tee hee'? As someone who doesn't have an Alexa or anything akin (and probably won't be getting one now!) I would love to know if she can have occasional skittish moments. Is she a bit of a wind-up merchant when she gets bored?

Isn't this the same one that was discussed upthread? It looked staged to me.

Interesting. The guy does seem pretty chilled about it. Was he expecting something maybe? Had his Alexa started talking spooky before, I wonder? I wonder who Stacey (??) is. And at the end, is Alexa repeatedly saying 'TV' or 'tee hee'? As someone who doesn't have an Alexa or anything akin (and probably won't be getting one now!) I would love to know if she can have occasional skittish moments. Is she a bit of a wind-up merchant when she gets bored?
Mine will occasionally see fit to tell me I have a new Amazon notification. Usually when it's very very quiet and I'm concentrating on something else. I swear she does it just to watch me jump.

Me and the Mrs had a bit of a drink last night. She's just told me she was slurring her speech so much when she asked ALEXA "Alexa, play me a babbling brook." last night that Alexa replied "You sound like you're in distress. Do you want me to dial 999 ?." :chuckle: .. "NO!"

Sorry, this is a bit long (c&p'd from today's Quora, but it felt spookily close to the truth:

Ordering a Pizza in 2022

CALLER:
Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE:
No sir, it's Google Pizza.
CALLER:
I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE:
No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER:
OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE:
Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER:
My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE:
According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER:
Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE:
May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER:
What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE:
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER:
How the hell do you know that?
GOOGLE:
Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER:
Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE:
Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Chemistwhorehouse, 4 months ago.
CALLER:
I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER:
I paid in cash.
GOOGLE:
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER:
I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!
CALLER:
WHAT THE HELL!
GOOGLE:
I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER:
Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE:
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

Welcome to the future

Sorry, this is a bit long (c&p'd from today's Quora, but it felt spookily close to the truth:

Ordering a Pizza in 2022

CALLER:
Is this Pizza Hut?
GOOGLE:
No sir, it's Google Pizza.
CALLER:
I must have dialed a wrong number, sorry.
GOOGLE:
No sir, Google bought Pizza Hut last month.
CALLER:
OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE:
Do you want your usual, sir?
CALLER:
My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE:
According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER:
Super! That’s what I’ll have.
GOOGLE:
May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER:
What? I don’t want a vegetarian pizza!
GOOGLE:
Your cholesterol is not good, sir.
CALLER:
How the hell do you know that?
GOOGLE:
Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER:
Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetarian pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE:
Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you purchased only a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once at Chemistwhorehouse, 4 months ago.
CALLER:
I bought more from another Pharmacy.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.
CALLER:
I paid in cash.
GOOGLE:
But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER:
I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE:
That doesn’t show on your latest tax returns, unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law!
CALLER:
WHAT THE HELL!
GOOGLE:
I'm sorry sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.
CALLER:
Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without the internet, TV, where there is no phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE:
I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago...

Welcome to the future
Sadly, this will happen.

I bought a food item yesterday (which will remain unnamed). I pay in cash and do not have a loyalty card. I did not talk to anyone about what I had bought but I did have my mobile on my bag. Later on while looking at Facebook an advert came up for that item. Co-incidence? :actw:

I bought a food item yesterday (which will remain unnamed). I pay in cash and do not have a loyalty card. I did not talk to anyone about what I had bought but I did have my mobile on my bag. Later on while looking at Facebook an advert came up for that item. Co-incidence? :actw:
Better uninstall that mind-reading app.

Can we play a game to see if any of us can guess what food item it was? I mean... what are the chances, right? I'm going for frozen sweet potato fries.

Haha, no! It could go on for a long time. I am still too creeped out to write it down but it is a stereotypical Scottish breakfast grain and not related to Burns Night (for which adverts would be expected).

Haha, no! It could go on for a long time. I am still too creeped out to write it down but it is a stereotypical Scottish breakfast grain and not related to Burns Night (for which adverts would be expected).
You've narrowed it down quite a bit with those clues, but I'm still not getting it. I almost bought some haggis in a place that starts with 'w' and ends with 'aitrose' today - but they were massive. Who needs that much haggis? I will celebrate with an Irn Bru and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer instead.

Im off to a Burns supper, but its the Unlisted pub in the village (They have a thatched one too). and so I am not expecting any cultural resonance.

Kondoru the despicable buildings snob.

You've narrowed it down quite a bit with those clues, but I'm still not getting it. I almost bought some haggis in a place that starts with 'w' and ends with 'aitrose' today - but they were massive. Who needs that much haggis? I will celebrate with an Irn Bru and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer instead.
Rhymes with Borage Goats.

And I got the same ad today which makes me even more suspicious that They are watching me..

A similar thing happened to us last year. We were in the bedroom discussing buying trackers to go on the dogs collars. Neither of us had looked them up online,it was just a casual conversation and the first time we had thought about it. We haven’t got an Alexa but we have a smart tv in the bedroom. We put the tv on very shortly afterwards to watch something on YouTube and a dog tracker advert popped up. Definitely not a coincidence.

A similar thing happened to us last year. We were in the bedroom discussing buying trackers to go on the dogs collars. Neither of us had looked them up online,it was just a casual conversation and the first time we had thought about it. We haven’t got an Alexa but we have a smart tv in the bedroom. We put the tv on very shortly afterwards to watch something on YouTube and a dog tracker advert popped up. Definitely not a coincidence.
It's definitely getting very weird. How about setting a trap? Talk loudly about something really obscure where your device can't help but overhear and see how long it takes for it to send you an advert for the item? C'mon guys! Let's prove this is a thing once and for all! If we can't do it, who can?

It's definitely getting very weird. How about setting a trap? Talk loudly about something really obscure where your device can't help but overhear and see how long it takes for it to send you an advert for the item? C'mon guys! Let's prove this is a thing once and for all! If we can't do it, who can?
I have tried that before and it didn't work. I guess you have to actually be talking about something for which there is a creepy advert available.

I have been wondering if there is also some sort of electronic signal that can be sent to a smart device. For examples when my box of Forage Boats was scanned at the till, it sent something to my phone. Although having just bought some, why would I get an advert for it?

The fact that the tv wasn’t even turned on is weird. It may or may not have been on standby as I sometimes switch it off at the plug socket.

Back