• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

New Zealand police were referred to a property where an allegedly "racist" flag was being flown. The insignia on the flying flag was determined to be Klingon.
Police respond to 'racist' flag in Wānaka, find Klingon insignia

Police responding to reports of a racist flag being flown from a Wānaka property found the home was instead flying the colours of the Klingon Empire from Star Trek.

The galactic mixup was announced by Wānaka police last week in their weekly update to local residents.

"The week was finished off with a report of a racist flag being flown on a property," they reported. ...

"It was not racist and was in fact the Klingon flag of the Star Trek Universe. A sure way to attract attention from the United Federation of Planets." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polic...-klingon-insignia/IHBTOLHYTUVJ6SEOKDU5KLCRGI/

Philadelphia city personnel mistakenly cut down a craft brewery's clearly designated hops garden, causing thousands of dollars in lost revenue.
City mistakes local brewery's garden for overgrown weeds, chops down 60 pounds of hops

Just as fall beer season is beginning, a local brewery says a weed whacking error made by the city will cost them thousands in revenue.

Philadelphia Brewing Company, based in Kensington, posted photos on their Instagram page showing their damaged crop of hops in their city garden.

The owner says the city erroneously took down over 60 pounds of hops used to make seasonal beers every Fall.

"Despite our clear signage and fenced off area, the city of Philadelphia took it upon themselves to completely destroy our hop garden yesterday morning," the brewery wrote. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.fox29.com/news/city-mis...-overgrown-weeds-chops-down-60-pounds-of-hops

Google had a security screw-up involving paying a quarter-million dollars for no apparent reason. The money was erroneously sent to one of Google's security contractors, whose reports of the matter went unanswered for 3 weeks.
Google mistakenly deposits $249,999 into security expert's account

A Google spokesperson said a nearly $250,000 payment placed in the account of a confused cybersecurity professional was the "result of human error."

Sam Curry, a staff security engineer at Yuga Labs and a self-described "hacker," said on Twitter that Google sent $249,999 into his bank account without explanation and he was unable to get a response from the company after three weeks of contact attempts.

Curry said he sometimes conducts bug hunting projects for tech companies like Google, but he couldn't find any link between any recent projects and the mysterious payment.

A Google spokesperson confirmed the payment was an error and said the company is now taking steps to correct it. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/09/16/Google-mistaken-payment-cybersecurity-expert/5921663359678/

Was on a dig yesterday, returning to the car for a spot of lunch and to empty my scrap-finds pouch (open top, strapped around waist and secured to right leg). Noticed the items were wet even though they had gone in dry. Thought back - urgent widdle in the hedge and hadn't checked the wind direction. Impressively that had been 90 mins earlier and still 1/4 inch of liquid remained in the bottom of the bag - good quality weave.

Was on a dig yesterday, returning to the car for a spot of lunch and to empty my scrap-finds pouch (open top, strapped around waist and secured to right leg). Noticed the items were wet even though they had gone in dry. Thought back - urgent widdle in the hedge and hadn't checked the wind direction. Impressively that had been 90 mins earlier and still 1/4 inch of liquid remained in the bottom of the bag - good quality weave.

Let’s hope that your Finds Liaison Officer doesn’t use your “suck it and see” approach to finds analysis.

maximus ottet

Well, this was an embarrassing gaffe ...
Guilty! Law school sends out erroneous admissions emails

A Massachusetts law school says it’s guilty of accidentally sending acceptance emails to thousands of former and current applicants.

The Northeastern University School of Law in a statement Wednesday blamed a “technical error” for the glitch, saying the erroneous emails went to more than 200 people who applied for admission starting next fall, as well as to nearly 4,000 former applicants, some of whom are already enrolled.

“The School of Law quickly sent a clarifying email explaining the error. Individual outreach is also taking place to applicants with concerns,” the Boston school said. ...

Lakisha Papoutsakis, a single mother from Northborough, Massachusetts, who received the acceptance email, told NBC10 Boston that she has dreamed of going to law school since she was a child. ...

She shared the good news with her loved ones before noticing the follow-up email.

“I was like, ‘Oh my God this is so amazing,’ and then it was like, ‘Oh no, sorry, April Fool’s Day,’” she said. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities...-law-schools-1b2fc520bbf8001e6c8dfcf32dadcc16

Let’s hope that your Finds Liaison Officer doesn’t use your “suck it and see” approach to finds analysis.

maximus ottet
:willy:

German army accidentally issues uniforms with 'SS' labels

German army uniforms have been mistakenly issued with "SS" size labels after a "production problem" reportedly occurred when the initials were thought to be an acronym for the size: “small, short."

As reported by The Jewish Chronicle, The German Federal Ministry of Defense has since ordered removal of the labeled combat equipment, which includes helmets, sleeping bags and waterproof jackets to its troops.

The ministry reportedly chalked the incident up to a "production problem."

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-722401

(OK: I don't speak German, but surely the German words for "Small, short" would be "Klein, kurz"?)

maximus otter

Last edited:
So, presumably there are a lot of very small folk in the Military there?

(Evidently supplied by a Jewish outfitter...who now have a contract for even more).

In German clothes sizing the 'S' would likely be for 'schlanke' which is 'tall' or 'lean/slim'.
The sizes XXS-XS-S-M-L-XL-XXL-3XL-4XL-5XL-6XL-7XL are all 'international standard' sizes, so in theory the garments could have been marked as for 'slim' people of a small build.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

I'm not sure which mistake in this storyline is sillier:
- burying a dead animal you thought was your lost springer spaniel (only to be reunited with the living lost pet soon thereafter); OR ...
- claiming the animal that you identified as your spaniel and buried was probably a fox.

Crowfield woman finds dog after thinking she had buried her

A woman whose dog got spooked by a firework and ran away was reunited with her pet two days after she thought she had buried her.

Codie Hutton, 26, from Crowfield, Suffolk, said she lost springer spaniel Maisie in Melton on 5 November.

Two days later a body believed to be Maisie's was found and Miss Hutton and her family buried it in their garden.

Some 48 hours after that, however, nine-year-old Maisie was found and reunited with the family.

Miss Hutton believes it was the body of a fox that was initially buried. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-63621176

Relevant UK laws define an ambulance as a vehicle permanently equipped to secure and transport a person in a recumbent position. This means a vehicle thus equipped would be practical for transporting both the quick and the dead.

Hearses (nowadays) are ceremonial vehicles designed for transporting caskets for funerals. The equipment for doing this can be quite different from the equipment in an ambulance.

According to these excerpted comments from Reddit "private ambulance" in UK parlance can refer (however informally) to a vehicle used by a funeral / mortuary service to transport bodies to the funeral home.

I wasn't able to find any documentation clarifying whether "private ambulances" (in the sense above) are necessarily subject to being "ambulances" as defined for medical transport purposes.

I spoke to a fellow who's a funeral director. He said "private ambulances" aren't a tax wheeze, they have that phrase on the side to prevent the staff from moonlighting in the vehicles.

My wife has just told me this and honestly its true.

She is a bank nurse for people with learning difficulties. A colleague of hers went to work at a house that she had never been to before, to make matters worse an auditor was due on her first shift.

She hadn't been there long when the auditor turned up. She was horrified to find that all the cups were filthy and was making her a cup of tea. She managed to find a black cup that would hide some of the tea stains, and proceeded to make the tea.

Unfortunately it was a colour changing cup and with the heat it proceeded to lighten, showing all the tea stains. But that wasn't the worst of it. As the auditor drained her cup, at the bottom of it was written 'you are a cunt.'

She is a bank nurse for people with learning difficulties. A colleague of hers went to work at a house that she had never been to before, to make matters worse an auditor was due on her first shift.

She hadn't been there long when the auditor turned up. She was horrified to find that all the cups were filthy and was making her a cup of tea. She managed to find a black cup that would hide some of the tea stains, and proceeded to make the tea.

Unfortunately it was a colour changing cup and with the heat it proceeded to lighten, showing all the tea stains. But that wasn't the worst of it. As the auditor drained her cup, at the bottom of it was written 'you are a cunt.'
I spat my beer out when I read that....

We all clubbed together to buy Swifty a cup like that.

I was visiting a female friend in Grimsby who lived in a flat that was the downstairs rear section of her grandmother's house.

Going into gran's section was easy and my friend asked me to feel free to go in and visit as although she was physically frail her mind was still sharp and she loved to chat. So one morning I popped in with tea for the two of us (mine in a red mug I'd grabbed from my friend's kitchen) and as we sat opposite each other chatting the care worker arrived and joined for a cuppa. We chatted for at least 30 minutes when the care worker got up to start working and I decided to go out for the day and went through to the kitchen with my empty mug. As I passed the care worker in the hallway she looked at it and said drily "I like your mug" I looked at it and on the side facing away from me as I drank was printed in large lettering:

I LIKE COCK

An Italian man saw his life savings go up in smoke after stashing them in a chimney.

The trove caught alight when his wife lit a fire because she had no idea it was being used to hide £18,000 in government bonds.

The unidentified man concocted the plan because he was concerned about burglars breaking into his Rome apartment.

A stash of papers worth 20,000 Euros were hidden deep inside the shaft – but the man forgot to tell anyone else in the house where they were.

The man is hoping to recover at least some of his lost money, which was tied up in bonds issued by the post office.

He told Italian media there is still hope he can recoup his losses if he finds the original serial numbers on the documents.

I once lit a cluster of church candles and placed them on and around the side of the bath at my previous partner's house one New Year's eve.

We're going back here, I promise!
If I recall correctly, it was quite a magnificent experience; aromatic bubbles, classic fm (lol), very Vicar of Dibley. Anyway, I forgot to blow them out later, setting fire to the bath. Just the bath, thankfully. I didn't even know, previously, that a bath could set alight. I offered to pay to replace it, but he wouldn't hear of it. This was probably a contributing factor as to why the relationship lasted almost 20 yrs. Lovely man :D

Back