• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I lost my husband in December. Your post brings me some consolation---if it happened for you, it could maybe happen for me. But I hope the sign of his presence won't be old coins, because nobody I know is a collector.:)
Gosh so sorry to hear that KITD. Puts a total downer on the particular time of year, as it has done for me.:group:

I decided today that it was time to trim a bit off of my toenails cos one had started to catch on my socks occasionally.
So, I get out the usual (quite new and extremely sharp) toenail clippers and set to it, only to discover that my toenails have become quite a bit thicker and harder than previously.
In fact, so much so, that the clippers could not cut through, other than in little nibbles, causing a tiny 'bite' to ping off across the room (I contained their flight though).
I am attributing the thickened nails to my self-inflicted dietary change last summer in which I started eating more fish and nuts.
Instead of hacking away at yourself, you might consider seeing a chiropodist.

Edit: any chance you're diabetic? Just a thought.

Last edited:
I have been bought many a heel 'scourer/file' (the latest one is pink and rat/mouse shaped). Useless. I have tried creams etc, but they won't touch the problem. I even once tried an electric sander, but the heat generated from the motion of said sander became too painful.
Nothing that a coarse stone wheel on an angle grinder wouldn't sort:chuckle:.

My heels are soft like the rest of the skin on my feet and I don't rub anything on them or soak them in anything.

:group: Look out for other signs too. Occasionally I will see an orange butterfly in an an unusual place or a white feather and you will think well maybe,,,
Thanks for the suggestions. Funny you should mention an orange butterfly. It immediately put me in mind of the bright orange-flowered bush in front of our house. We didn't know the name of the kind of bush it is, but we always called it "the hummingbird bush" because it would attract them for a,quick nectar drink. i think I'll keep my eye out for non-native hummingbirds; they show up, but rarely.

Thanks for the suggestions. Funny you should mention an orange butterfly. It immediately put me in mind of the bright orange-flowered bush in front of our house. We didn't know the name of the kind of bush it is, but we always called it "the hummingbird bush" because it would attract them for a,quick nectar drink. i think I'll keep my eye out for non-native hummingbirds; they show up, but rarely.
All butterflies and hummingbirds are lovely. Beautiful signs of comfort to you.

Good point. I hadn't considered that. But no, no potted plants (or similar, and I would keep the pot plants...) were moved.

Not AFAIK - the house was fairly modern and no spirit manifestations or portals to the netherworlds were apparent.

Well I guess it might have, but seeing as I walked along that path daily, back and forward, over the course of many months and hadn't spotted it until then, it seems extremely unlikely.
That part of Hemel Hempstead was rather posh and well kept, with no litter, and the paths kept clear and clean, doncha know.
A slightly similar thing happened to me a few years back. It's too long winded to go into how I lost my glasses on our street but that's what happened. A few weeks later, I spotted them on the floor against a wall. The thing is/was, I walk that street a few times every day and I would have definitely spotted them. Even if I hadn't spotted them, someone would have handed them into the shop opposite or put them on a wall which is what everyone does where I live. The streets had been swept by the council since I'd lost them but there they were, patiently waiting to be found. Weird.

@Kate In The Desert, so sorry to hear. That's difficult. Hoping you are doing the best you can.

I lost my husband 10 1/2 years ago.
The word "widow" still feels alien to me. But I'm doing what I can to be useful. Being buried in paperwork almost seems like a blessing.

i am sorry that you too lost your life's partner.

No, no. Your idea has wings. I haven't got an angle grinder though unfortunately, or I'd give it a go.
I refer the honourable member to my reply above, viz.
There are though many entertaining stories of self-maiming by individuals using home-adapted power tools for more personal use. Sometimes very personal.

Back