• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

t I took the 'Silly Mistake' to be not claiming whiskies are all 'essentially the same' (which, as you say, they are as soon as you 'pan out'), but rather 'telling the Scottish public that whiskies are all the same' as it's as liable to be as well-received as telling the Koreans that all kimchi is the same, the Greeks that all Feta is the same or the French that all Champagne is the same: definitely ill-advised.

This is how I take it too. My point is that this isn't what has happened. What has happened is that, as usual, a phrase has been cherry-picked and trailed to create outrage.

I know more about what's in and what was left out of the report than I can say without Politics :rollingw: It was known this would happen, whatever we put in and left out. There may be a statement on it later to address the concern and refocus attention on the purpose of the consultation - again, this is an expected, albeit not longed for, event!

It's this or go the way of anodyne pap, keeping the discussion away from the people it is intended to benefit - don't frighten the horses style.

I submit that the Silly Mistake is in falling for the clickbait headline and introducing politics!

This place is better than this. So is the OP.

who was relying on her sat nav,
Many people seem to use sat nav as a substitute for a sense of direction, direct observation and map reading skills. These abilities are not something we're born with, they develop over time as we move through the world in our bodies.

Sat nav is limited by large urban obstacles which block and delay signals; bodies are limited by view points and can lack comprehensive knowledge of a place. They can complement each other; I usually never use it though because it's too distracting to listen when I'm trying to see where I'm going.
Thing is though, is how can you have such little awareness of your surroundings in the first place????
I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings, and almost never use sat nav, but that ferry approach looked like a bridge to me too!
It might help if there was a sign that said, "FERRY APPROACH." :p

It might help if there was a sign that said, "FERRY APPROACH."
There are already plenty of signs and they have employees standing in the road in hi-viz jackets directing the traffic.
She was probably too busy looking at her phone to take notice of things like the world around her.

And where, for research purposes of course, might an academic find this missive?
You know very well where - the page 7 cycling special.
1674479507502.png

"(she) said in retrospect that she was not embarrassed about posing, nor bitter that she did not receive any royalties from the photo"

Which is a shame cos it sold "over 2 million copies at £2 per poster" for 'Athena', in addition to it's original sales as a page in a calendar.
She would have been minted if she had a royalties deal on it.

"(she) said in retrospect that she was not embarrassed about posing, nor bitter that she did not receive any royalties from the photo"

Which is a shame cos it sold "over 2 million copies at £2 per poster" for 'Athena', in addition to it's original sales as a page in a calendar.
She would have been minted if she had a royalties deal on it.

A bit crude perhaps but it could have been the hole with the mint.

Game developer forgets to trademark the name of their new game and then finds, just before releasing it, that someone else has, and it costs them.

The Day Before developer forgets to trademark game, delays release for nine months.
"Right before the release, Steam blocked our game page at the request of a private individual, because of the name The Day Before.
"As you know, our game was announced in January 2021. At the time of the announcement, The Day Before game trademark was available.
"After the announcement of the game, the above mentioned individual filled out an application before us to register the game trademark The Day Before in the United States."

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-b...trademark-game-delays-release-for-nine-months

Game developer forgets to trademark the name of their new game and then finds, just before releasing it, that someone else has, and it costs them.

The Day Before developer forgets to trademark game, delays release for nine months.
"Right before the release, Steam blocked our game page at the request of a private individual, because of the name The Day Before.
"As you know, our game was announced in January 2021. At the time of the announcement, The Day Before game trademark was available.
"After the announcement of the game, the above mentioned individual filled out an application before us to register the game trademark The Day Before in the United States."

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-b...trademark-game-delays-release-for-nine-months
As seen in many cases - most recently in the Cryptozoo fiasco - many gamers/developers always forget the 'boring technicalities' such as legally binding work contracts etc.

Looks like it couldn't have happened to nicer people.

At this time, the developer stated its culture is "based on the idea of volunteering" and, as such, "every Fntastic member is a volunteer" - paid or not. This wording resulted in Fntastic further defending its choice to use unpaid volunteers to develop its games. The company then went on to explain it had plans to hire some of its volunteers for full-time work.

CCTV footage shows £80k Maserati hitting traffic light - right in front of police

Police have shown the moment a man driving an £80,000 Maserati supercar slammed into a traffic light after driving drunk. CCTV footage showed the Maserati Levante oddly going straight on at a junction on Bristol Street in Birmingham city centre.

It crosses a busy junction and without slowing down ploughs into the road furniture. The impact was so hard that smoke and steam immediately poured from the crushed front end of the car.

Incredibly it also happened right in front of West Midlands Police traffic officers who were waiting to turn right at the lights. The crash was caught on a local council CCTV camera and footage released by police also saw bodycamera video from the officers who arrived on the scene straight away.

The Maserati 4x4, which was actually owned by the driver and not rented, can be seen hitting a traffic light in the crash that happened in October last year. It also destroyed railings which were installed to protect pedestrians.

Police released the footage after the driver was convicted, receiving a ban and big fine and revealed that he was double the limit for alcohol.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/cctv-footage-shows-80k-maserati-26109137

More “criminal stupidity” than “mistake”, l think, but hey…

maximus otter

CCTV footage shows £80k Maserati hitting traffic light - right in front of police

Police have shown the moment a man driving an £80,000 Maserati supercar slammed into a traffic light after driving drunk. CCTV footage showed the Maserati Levante oddly going straight on at a junction on Bristol Street in Birmingham city centre.

It crosses a busy junction and without slowing down ploughs into the road furniture. The impact was so hard that smoke and steam immediately poured from the crushed front end of the car.

Incredibly it also happened right in front of West Midlands Police traffic officers who were waiting to turn right at the lights. The crash was caught on a local council CCTV camera and footage released by police also saw bodycamera video from the officers who arrived on the scene straight away.

The Maserati 4x4, which was actually owned by the driver and not rented, can be seen hitting a traffic light in the crash that happened in October last year. It also destroyed railings which were installed to protect pedestrians.

Police released the footage after the driver was convicted, receiving a ban and big fine and revealed that he was double the limit for alcohol.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/cctv-footage-shows-80k-maserati-26109137

More “criminal stupidity” than “mistake”, l think, but hey…

maximus otter
The 'mistake' was that he didn't kill himself before he eventually kills someone else, because I'll guarantee he'll do it again one day. And probably more than once more.

Sparkler in drink starts fire in restaurant

In Birmingham.

Restaurant-goers at the Caffe de Milano in Hurst Street were evacuated after the fire started at around 11pm.

Video footage shows huge flames engulfing the restaurant as one member of staff tries to throw a small bucket of water to dampen down the blaze.

Emergency services were called to the scene at around 11pm last night, but when firefighters arrived staff had already put out the flames.
1675625788325.png

Extremely dangerous response and nothing I would ever expect of an employee, but just goes to show the courage that ordinary people can have.

Extremely dangerous response and nothing I would ever expect of an employee, but just goes to show the courage that ordinary people can have.
I order P50 fire extinguishers for our sites these days. Whilst they fire out a load of liquid when operated, the actual extinguisher body is non-conductive so they can be used on all fires including electrical fires up to 1000v.
It effectively means I won’t have someone untrained firing water or foam onto an electrical fire and getting zapped.

https://ukfiresupplies.co.uk/shop/2-litre-p50-service-free-foam-fire-extinguisher/

Spain spends €258m on trains that don’t fit through tunnels
Two Spanish transport executives have been fired after a train fiasco that saw the design of 31 trains that were too big for the tunnels on the line where they would run.

FULL STORY: https://eandt.theiet.org/content/ar...-in-trains-that-dont-fit-through-its-tunnels/
'Two Spanish transport executives have been fired'. That's sorted, then. :chuckle:

Here in the UK there were pants-endangering moments when the Pendolinos were first test-run through tunnels at speed: first one, then two. Luckily all went well.

Trespassing and especially fatalities on the railway cause huge disruption.
Today a fatality was falsely reported when the train had actually hit a bird and not a person. :thought:

When I'm next in work I'll ask around about it. :wink2:

Bird struck by train in Cheshire despite National Rail reports of person being hit

It has now been confirmed that a bird was struck by a train in Winsford this morning (February 10), despite National Rail reporting that it was a person that had been hit.

Train services were suspended as emergency services attended the incident. In a post via its Twitter page, National Rail confirmed the incident occurred in the Winsford area.

And an update on its website stated: "A person has been hit by a train between Crewe and Warrington Bank Quay. As all lines are currently closed, trains may be cancelled or diverted until approximately 12:00."

Jeff Koons: Visitor breaks iconic Balloon Dog sculpture in Miami
"Art lovers in Miami looked on in horror on Thursday night, when a collector accidentally knocked a $42,000 (£34,870) sculpture by US pop artist Jeff Koons to the ground."
"She had tapped it with her finger, witnesses at the event said."
"The statue - one of Koons' iconic Dog Balloons - smashed into tiny shards, and had to be swept into dustpans by gallery staff."
"Local artist Stephen Gamson told the Miami Herald he was admiring the sculpture, when an "older woman" tapped it, knocking it off its pedestal."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64695059
1676815228097.png

I don't believe that 'tapping it' would have knocked it off the stand.
She shoved it off, surely?

A bottle of deep cleansing lotion may look like Listerine mint mouth-wash if your not wearing glasses, but it really really isn't the same thing.

Back