• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Let The Right One In (NOT Alexa)

A similar thing happened to us last year. We were in the bedroom discussing buying trackers to go on the dogs collars. Neither of us had looked them up online,it was just a casual conversation and the first time we had thought about it. We haven’t got an Alexa but we have a smart tv in the bedroom. We put the tv on very shortly afterwards to watch something on YouTube and a dog tracker advert popped up. Definitely not a coincidence.
Does your tv have a camera & microphone? Only higher end models do I think. I have a smart tv but it doesn’t have either.

Ahh guys you should always wear your tinfoil hat when you go out and about not just the ufo watching us you know

Does your tv have a camera & microphone? Only higher end models do I think. I have a smart tv but it doesn’t have either.
It was a cheap smart tv (Hisense) I’m pretty sure it hasn’t got either.

No microphone means no way of picking up your conversation. Which makes your incident just coincidence. They do happen sometimes. Alternatively, maybe you had a phone nearby which did the listening..
Hmm. Devices talking to each other behind our backs. Not creepy at all.

Hmm. Devices talking to each other behind our backs. Not creepy at all.
They do it all the time... (Amazon on my phone, my laptop, my tablet, two TVs and a dot, plus my wife's devices - all constantly updating each other; plus Google on my phone and my tablet, and probably on stuff that I have forgotten about).

No microphone means no way of picking up your conversation. Which makes your incident just coincidence. They do happen sometimes. Alternatively, maybe you had a phone nearby which did the listening..
I did have a phone and an iPad nearby but didn’t realise they could “connect” to the tv.

I did have a phone and an iPad nearby but didn’t realise they could “connect” to the tv.
I’m not sure things could be arranged so that the ad cropped up pronto on tv. Do you think it was inserted in the schedule specially for you? Maybe all the thousands of others had ads tailored for them.. I don't know exactly how it's arranged but I reckon ad slots are more likely booked to be shown days/weeks in advance.

I'd put this one down to coincidence..

Yes - the YouTube on the tv, if your signed in on it , also signed in on phone..... All connected/updatec/data shared

According to Currys, smart speaker sales have declined a great deal. It may be partly because all the people who were going to get one have one by now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/66120000

Sales of smart speakers have "fallen off a cliff" as customers cut back and trade down on electrical items, the boss of Currys has said.
Sales overall at the group were down in the year to 29 April as people bought cheaper goods due to the rising cost of living.
Shoppers also bought more products on credit to spread their costs.
Shares in Currys dropped after it said it was "wary of optimism about consumer spending power" in the coming year.
Asked why sales had dropped 7% at the group, managing director Alex Baldock told the BBC's Today programme that shoppers "are being careful with their money".

According to Currys, smart speaker sales have declined a great deal. It may be partly because all the people who were going to get one have one by now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/66120000

l was amused to hear Rick Sanchez (from the unmissable Rick and Morty animation) say in a recent episode, “lf l wanted to let the government into my home, l’d buy an Alexa.”

maximus otter

Back