• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

If I had a vote, I would vote to remove the reaction icons completely. But I don't have a vote.
I respectfully disagree. Likes here in general are used to reward people for a quality post, not that one necessarily agrees with the post.

The 'love' is now multi-purpose given the reduction in the available icons. I'd be really sorry to see them go - in fact I'd like to see a couple reintroduced. A 'sympathy' one, which I don't think we had before, would be nice as well.

I respectfully disagree. Likes here in general are used to reward people for a quality post, not that one necessarily agrees with the post.

The 'love' is now multi-purpose given the reduction in the available icons. I'd be really sorry to see them go - in fact I'd like to see a couple reintroduced. A 'sympathy' one, which I don't think we had before, would be nice as well.

Yes, the likes are used to acknowledge a quality post.

They also, and it seems to me increasingly, are used to support someone in opposition to another, even if the content of the post is subsequently disagreed with by the liker. This leads to clear factionalisim and taking sides.

I sometimes go back more than ten years and read posts from the early days of the forum. I know these old posts have probably been pruned by mods over the years, but what remains is more focused, more thoughtful responses, no clear factionalism or taking sides, and less derailment into one-liner jokes. I greatly prefer the discourse of the older posts.

If the reaction icons were removed, then it would not be possible for anyone to post comments slanted to garner likes and support. Cochise, with your IT background and analysis skills, it would be easy for you to examine the patterns of likes in, oh lets say the covid conspiracy thread, for who supports whom, vs actually agreeing with the post content. To clearly support an ideological orientation rather than specifics leads easily, in my experience, to groups which support sniping and bullying.

Yes, the likes are used to acknowledge a quality post.

They also, and it seems to me increasingly, are used to support someone in opposition to another, even if the content of the post is subsequently disagreed with by the liker. This leads to clear factionalisim and taking sides.

I sometimes go back more than ten years and read posts from the early days of the forum. I know these old posts have probably been pruned by mods over the years, but what remains is more focused, more thoughtful responses, no clear factionalism or taking sides, and less derailment into one-liner jokes. I greatly prefer the discourse of the older posts.

If the reaction icons were removed, then it would not be possible for anyone to post comments slanted to garner likes and support. Cochise, with your IT background and analysis skills, it would be easy for you to examine the patterns of likes in, oh lets say the covid conspiracy thread, for who supports whom, vs actually agreeing with the post content. To clearly support an ideological orientation rather than specifics leads easily, in my experience, to groups which support sniping and bullying.
I don't think there is a lot of sniping and bullying here, although there has been an occasional outbreak. We are, after all human, and humans have flaws. I think it is dealt with quite quickly.

This is without doubt (and I'm not currying favour) the best run forum I have participated in, and I am unanimous in that :)

Of course there are factions, as there always will be, but as long as the factions treat each other with respect I don't see the problem.

And yes, I could do that, but I wouldn't. One of the reasons I'm here is that I've utterly fallen out with the IT industry and it's tendency to over analyse and misuse data.

But 'supporting someone in opposition to another's comment' is perfectly fine if you agree with what that persons response was to the OP.

When we had 'angry face' I often got more than you've had hot dinners, but I could then go to another thread and receive 'like(s)' from the very same people just a few minutes later.

In every forum I belong to, reaction icons cause problems. Every single one. The best forum I belong to has 1. no reaction icons, 2. is tightly focused, and 3. is continually policed by the members as well as the mods. These are important differences from the FMB.
There's been no problems here from reaction icons and this forum is also continually policed by members and mods. ?
And, surely this is the best forum?
If I had a vote, I would vote to remove the reaction icons completely. But I don't have a vote.
Some posters never start a thread or contribute a new item to a post (in other words, they only ever reply to what someone else has started).

But we have posters here who, day in and day out bring us information that is interesting and gets people talking over a vast range of threads. I would think that they deserve to know how many people appreciate them taking the time to do so, or else they're (in some cases) just going to say ''why should I bother?'' if they don't know how many members are finding their posts interesting.

I agree with @Floyd1 . I once had to go on a course where one exercise was about listening to people. We had to give a three minute talk to two or three other people. They however had been instructed to show no interest; not to yawn or look away but just sit with a neutral expression and not react. I don't think anyone finished their talk.

There are lots of posts here which are interesting, fascinating, witty, informative, enjoyable, etc. but which I can't contribute anything useful to (although many of you may question the usefulness of my contributions anyway) I think that posting these and getting no reaction other than maybe a brief answer or discussion from those than can contribute may be like talking to that unresponsive audience. My concern is that will put people off posting items that may receive few actual posted answers.

I agree with @Floyd1 . I once had to go on a course where one exercise was about listening to people. We had to give a three minute talk to two or three other people. They however had been instructed to show no interest; not to yawn or look away but just sit with a neutral expression and not react. I don't think anyone finished their talk.

There are lots of posts here which are interesting, fascinating, witty, informative, enjoyable, etc. but which I can't contribute anything useful to (although many of you may question the usefulness of my contributions anyway) I think that posting these and getting no reaction other than maybe a brief answer or discussion from those than can contribute may be like talking to that unresponsive audience. My concern is that will put people off posting items that may receive few actual posted answers.
And - I will now use the 'like' button to say I like this post, but, as I have to go and drink wine and watch Fleetwood Mac and/or Queen on tv (like every damn Saturday evening for some reason) I won't reply with actual words. Well, apart from these.

'Like' and 'Love' reactions stay - imo.

I'm ok with the two reactions. I use the "like" most. I use it for slightly varying reasons: 1. to show appreciation to a thoughtful, informative post, whether I agree or not,
2. to show agreement.

I use the "love" if a post has made me think differently or if it has made me laugh. Again, not necessarily showing agreement.

If I want to expand on an idea or a topic, I make a post.

I do think that members here understand that a "like" on a sad post is not an emotional response, but simply an acknowledgement.

Well, i didn't know that it had caused 'problems' on here, but to me, that reaction always comes across akin to the girl from Just William who will "scream and scream until I'm sick".
Comparable to the old 'face palm' emoji in the early days - if you will.
In any case, it's been removed, (probably for that very reason).

Both correct.

If you appreciate either, please make a donation to the CFI.

https://www.forteana.org/

LINK at bottom-left.
I think it would be a good Idea to ask people (politely), to hit the 'reply' button when they intend make add a comment to a comment that's already been entered on here, as half the time I'm reading stuff and then have to track-back and search on the written stories to try and find out what the heck they are making comments about?
Maybe the 'reply' button should be highlighted maybe in red &/or, in Bold?

Last edited:
But we have posters here who, day in and day out bring us information that is interesting and gets people talking over a vast range of threads. I would think that they deserve to know how many people appreciate them taking the time to do so, or else they're (in some cases) just going to say ''why should I bother?'' if they don't know how many members are finding their posts interesting.
I completely agree with this. Some years ago, before reactions were implemented, I started a thread where I was translating Argentinian (I think) newspaper articles about some high strangeness and associated hysteria. I was the only one posting, and it felt very lonely, to the point that I felt quite discouraged and was about to stop, until someone posted something along the lines of "please don’t stop, it's interesting". It's good to know you're not just talking to yourself.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good Idea to ask people (politely), to hit the 'reply' button when they intend make add a comment to a comment that's already been entered on here, as half the time I'm reading stuff and then have to track-back and search on the written stories to try and find out what the heck they are making comments about?
Maybe the 'reply' button should be highlighted maybe in red &/or, in Bold?

Trust me when I say we have messaged a couple of people about it repeatedly with little positive change.

It might actually be possible to alter the colour of the reply button, but I'm very pessimistic about the chance of it altering behaviour.

I will--as ever--solicit opinions from all the other moderators, but SAD had been used as a sarcastic disagreement ('sad' as in *SIGH* you are still saying this kind of thing) and had thus initiated squabbles.
That's a matter of interpretation though. Taking offence whether or not it's intended: passive aggressive points-scoring. Adults should be above that.

Your use of the word 'squabbles' indicates that you find this process trivial and childish. Reminds me of the way teenagers accuse each other of giving disrespectful 'dirty looks' in class.

A sympathy one would be very apt for R.I.P. threads.

That's a matter of interpretation though. Taking offence whether or not it's intended: passive aggressive points-scoring. Adults should be above that.

Fair comment.

I was thinking of the tone in the post linked below when I said 'squabbles'

I'm just utterly bewildered by it. Bewildered, with some people disappointed, with some people actively fucking annoyed. Whaf has got into you all? People trying to make valid points ignored or treated to laughing reaction smileys (they're going now: we're keeping the thumbs up and that's it).

And the I'm-finding-this-so gloriously-wonderful-I'm seeing hearts? I'm aware that this may result in the removal of that one as well!

If we can only have the two (not so clear and agreed on) meanings, is there any choice of what they look like?

And the I'm-finding-this-so gloriously-wonderful-I'm seeing hearts? I'm aware that this may result in the removal of that one as well!

If we can only have the two (not so clear and agreed on) meanings, is there any choice of what they look like?

I don't know personally where/how to upload the image graphic, but it seems that it can be altered, yes.

Yup, it's very silly innit. We are not 8 year-old girls. :chuckle:

Reddit manages perfectly well without hearts flying around.

I must admit, when I get a 'love' reaction on here, especially from one of the ladies -all of whom I'm a little bit in love with- (not @catseye obviously), I do get a slight erection.

I must admit, when I get a 'love' reaction on here, especially from one of the ladies -all of whom I'm a little bit in love with- (not @catseye obviously), I do get a slight erection.
That's what you're getting from now on then. :nods:

Not the slight erection necessarily, that's your private business, but you can have the :loveu: bit with pleasure. :chuckle:

I definitely won't give you one of those reactions. Remind me not to share any of my poetry with you. Mind you, I write for a different reason:

Why I write​

I write to rant.
I write to vent.
I write to express
where dreams went.

I write to tell my story
my ups, my downs
my failure, my glory
my smiles, my frowns
my joys, my woes
my joy, my pain,
my highs, my lows,
my sun, my rain.

I write when I'm thinking in rhyme.
I've done that for a very long time.

Lol.

Ah yes, 'VEB' or 'Violet Elizabeth Botting'. It's a passive-aggressive ad hom. :)

@Mythopoeika , the character was Bott, but @Coal was making a verb of her name.

I think anyone who is "Violet Elizabeth Botting" should first have to click all pictures that do not contain a passive aggressive little girl to prove they are not a Bott.

I find the like button useful. I'm never sure about the "love button" (as my wife sometimes complains) but I must admit that I preferred it when I had a selection of potential reactions including in particular the laughter emoji to show appreciation for a witty post or bon mot.

Back