• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

There used to be a metal 'immobilising bar' in washing machines which had to be removed before use. New machines have big bolts in the back for this purpose, as I recently discovered when ours arrived.

I'd normally install a washer myself but Techy insisted on having the plumber in. Plumber reckons that as the information about the bolts is a bit tucked away in the manual, people who don't read it all and just go ahead are in trouble. He's met some!
I can't recall what they used to be like as until a few weeks ago, I hadn't had a new one for around 20 years. It was very straight forward though.

Odd one last night. Sitting on the sofa watching TV when I noticed something black and around a foot long underneath the coffee table in the corner of the living room.

Walked over and picked it up and discovered it’s part of a broken picture frame. We do have pictures on the wall above the coffee table and all of them do have black frames, so I naturally assumed it came from one of them. I took each picture off of the wall and examined each frame (there are seven of them in total) but each frame was exact and not missing any parts of the frame at all, so where on earth did this broken piece of picture frame come from..?

It wasn’t there the day before or even that morning as I would have noticed it.

Odd one last night. Sitting on the sofa watching TV when I noticed something black and around a foot long underneath the coffee table in the corner of the living room.

Walked over and picked it up and discovered it’s part of a broken picture frame. We do have pictures on the wall above the coffee table and all of them do have black frames, so I naturally assumed it came from one of them. I took each picture off of the wall and examined each frame (there are seven of them in total) but each frame was exact and not missing any parts of the frame at all, so where on earth did this broken piece of picture frame come from..?

Hang on. Didn't you have another very strange incident in your house recently? A couple of months ago?

I think @PeteS should check his picture frame from a couple of days ago!

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/minor-strangeness-ihtm.28407/page-435#post-2236589

Interesting. Some years ago I found a long thin round metal rod on the carpet in our living room. I didn't know where it came from and my OH could throw no light on the subject. It was around 2 to 2 and a half feet long. I thought at first it was part of a hinge, or a strengthening bar out of something but where it was from and how it got there was never explained. There was only myself OH and dog living in the house at the time.

Interesting. Some years ago I found a long thin round metal rod on the carpet in our living room. I didn't know where it came from and my OH could throw no light on the subject. It was around 2 to 2 and a half feet long. I thought at first it was part of a hinge, or a strengthening bar out of something but where it was from and how it got there was never explained. There was only myself OH and dog living in the house at the time.
Did the room have a fireplace?

I was thinking the rod came down the chimney...
Yes and you've got me thinking-
also, our fireplace would originally have been a much grander affair, but at some point in the 1970s/80s someone with bad taste reduced the size of it so they could put an equally hideous gas fire in.
The bricks used for this are those, (again hideous imo), modern ones with a rough facing.
Anyway, to carry the brickwork across the top of the opening, there are two metal bars bedded in at each end.
Maybe it was from something like that?

I found a
............ small metal 'rivet' of the sort that would hold together a cheap pair of scissors at the join, just sitting on my coffee table, a couple of weeks ago. I left it there thinking that at some point I would go "Oh yes, I see where that has come from now".... but no, nothing, I'm none the wiser, and it's not as though there is anyone else in the house, or any other thing that I have been dismantling that could have left it there.
JOOTT, I suppose.

Check the ceiling. People on here may remember my 'mystery board' that turned up in the middle of my living room floor, I think I even photographed it!

Turned out to have been one of the boards that form the ceiling in my living room. It's a loose bit that can be removed to access the wiring that runs between ceiling and the upstairs flooring. It had come loose and fallen in the night.

Check the ceiling.
I will.
There is one of those light fittings which has a fan attachment underneath it.
Bloody awful thing and I never used it. I think whoever put it there was a DIY enthusiast with no idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it is starting to disassemble itself.
Like one of these below.
1675597831946.png

............ small metal 'rivet' of the sort that would hold together a cheap pair of scissors at the join, just sitting on my coffee table, a couple of weeks ago. I left it there thinking that at some point I would go "Oh yes, I see where that has come from now".... but no, nothing, I'm none the wiser, and it's not as though there is anyone else in the house, or any other thing that I have been dismantling that could have left it there.
JOOTT, I suppose.
Did you ever find out what the 'jam-like substance' was on the back of your chair?

Check the ceiling. People on here may remember my 'mystery board' that turned up in the middle of my living room floor, I think I even photographed it!

Turned out to have been one of the boards that form the ceiling in my living room. It's a loose bit that can be removed to access the wiring that runs between ceiling and the upstairs flooring. It had come loose and fallen in the night.

But how? Eh? How? And WHY? :nods:

I was thinking the rod came down the chimney...
Just as I suspected—the chimney and the dog were in cahoots!
but at some point in the 1970s/80s someone with bad taste reduced the size of it so they could put an equally hideous gas fire in.
These two decades were rife with hideous aesthetics IMHO.

Hang on. Didn't you have another very strange incident in your house recently? A couple of months ago?
You are right Floyd, I did experience weirdness. The radiators decided to turn themselves off in the living room. Never got to the bottom of that one, and I guess I’ll never get to the bottom of the picture frame oddity.

I keep my Probus nametag either in my bag or on the bookshelf next to my chair.
This morning I couldn't find it nor when I came home although I sifted through things and used a torch in case it had fallen down.
Tonight I went to the bedroom and in a small jewellery box which had a couple of odds and ends I lifted something up and there was the badge.
I guess I was absentminded last time but I can't remember opening that box for ages.

Was idly thinking today of people I quite fancy in a fairly disinterested kind of way, and I thought of Tom Hiddleston (sorry @Floyd1 you weren't on the list this time round, must try harder). I've not heard much about him lately, (Tom Hiddleston, not Floyd) so I popped over to Wiki just to make sure he hadn't died or anything.

Only to find that today is his birthday. Happy birthday, Tom.

Back