• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Homosexuality On The Increase?

Lol.
This is not the thread, but assuming culture war discussions are allowed to be held anywhere on this site I'm game. I find them somewhat amusing.

But, as far as whether or not there's more gays now then before, I don't know. But I think it an entirely plausible explanation for the apparent rise. I don't know how, though, a genuine increase can be disentangled from the other things mentioned in this thread so far, such as it being easier these days to be open, or that some people might be insincere in their self-identification.

Culture Wars debates not allowed.

See this and other posts on trhe Nailed Thread!

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...the-warning-ban-log.23687/page-8#post-2221101

This is not the thread, but assuming culture war discussions are allowed to be held anywhere on this site I'm game. I find them somewhat amusing.

Culture Wars debates not allowed.

But the site rules are whatever they are, and I'm OK eitherway

Yes! It was indeed at the cusp of a major Culture War offensive which would have taken a gorilla to Mod rather than your cute creature.
A gorilla writes...

I looked at this thread a couple of hours ago, and came back just now all ready to grunt and swat at biplanes, but I'm pleased to see there's no need.

So - as we've established, no culture wars, and so long as that continues nobody's getting cancelled. Joy :) .

Dennis Hopper said that when they were filming Easy Rider they were originally going to film some shots in Texas, but even he- nuts as he was at the time- said no way.
Back then in some parts, if you were a male with long hair, you, at best, were probably going to get a good kicking.
Going back to men with long hair.

I toyed with having long hair in the mid to late Eighties. (I was a part of a shortlived and now forgotten subculture - which the N.M.E dubbed `grebo` - and which consisted of adopting a hippy-biker outlaw look and being into punky proto-grunge rock).

Anyway, a mate and me entered a working class pub in Manchester (where we lived at the time). Almost as soon as I had sat down with a pint when a nearby guy (not so old - I'd say early middle-age) locked his eyes onto me with a hostile glare. He was also monologuing. I couldn't catch what he was saying, but I could well imagine.

We got out of there before violence erupted....It was exactly like the scene in EasyRider where the protagonists of the movie are ina cafe and meet with local hostility.

This, however, was circa 1986.

Going back to men with long hair.

I toyed with having long hair in the mid to late Eighties. (I was a part of a shortlived and now forgotten subculture - which the N.M.E dubbed `grebo` - and which consisted of adopting a hippy-biker outlaw look and being into punky proto-grunge rock).

Anyway, a mate and me entered a working class pub in Manchester (where we lived at the time). Almost as soon as I had sat down with a pint when a nearby guy (not so old - I'd say early middle-age) locked his eyes onto me with a hostile glare. He was also monologuing. I couldn't catch what he was saying, but I could well imagine.

We got out of there before violence erupted....It was exactly like the scene in EasyRider where the protagonists of the movie are ina cafe and meet with local hostility.

This, however, was circa 1986.
When I could grow my hair, I didn't want it long and by the time I did want it long(er) I started to lose it.
Ears and nose- plenty. Head not so much. The human body has a lot to answer for...

For example, if a man was seen walking down the street with a woman's top, lipstick and painted nails would that be interpreted as them being narcissistic when in fact they might very well be just going about their business wearing clothes appropriate to their personality, gender, aesthetic taste, and sexuality. That they are more noticeable than a woman with the same clothes and make-up is likely more to do with their rarity and 'oddity' in a straight world than any particularly self-serving motivation on their part. Perhaps. I think it's wise to be careful in ascribing motives to other people.
Maybe, they could be. But any gender or sexual identifications do not preclude behaviours that might, to take one example, be termed narcissism. In short, if a person behaves in an unpleasant way, it might be that people object to 'them' not their 'identity'. There's no free pass for poor manners and offensive behaviour just because of a self determined gender identity.

I think it's wise to consider all possible motives for peoples' behaviours, not just the one in the zeitgeist, or the motive someone tells me I should believe.

:hoff:

Maybe, they could be. But any gender or sexual identifications do not preclude behaviours that might, to take one example, be termed narcissism. In short, if a person behaves in an unpleasant way, it might be that people object to 'them' not their 'identity'. There's no free pass for poor manners and offensive behaviour just because of a self determined gender identity.

I think it's wise to consider all possible motives for peoples' behaviours, not just the one in the zeitgeist, or the motive someone tells me I should believe.

:hoff:
I agree. But rudeness and bad behaviour isn't necessarily narcissism, more like acting a ****. Judge everything on a case by case basis, being aware if any personal bias. Best we can do.

Back