• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

1671048628471.png

This is inaccurate because nobody can fart to order. Anyone bending over in a stressful situation might break wind but not deliberately.
He was fined for insolence, not farting.
Oh yeah, and for various drug and driving offences of course.

Have to say that if I were his lawyer I'd be appealing certain aspects of the sentence.

This is inaccurate because nobody can fart to order. Anyone bending over in a stressful situation might break wind but not deliberately.
He was fined for insolence, not farting.
Oh yeah, and for various drug and driving offences of course.

Have to say that if I were his lawyer I'd be appealing certain aspects of the sentence.
My Mum once (more than once tbh) got me off a school detention. I'd farted in class which gave the other kids the giggles so I was given detention (insolence) which meant you all sat in a mobile building for an hour after school. My Mum wasn't having any of that! .. so she marched me out lol. I probably deserved most of the other detentions though.

My Mum once (more than once tbh) got me off a school detention. I'd farted in class which gave the other kids the giggles so I was given detention (insolence) which meant you all sat in a mobile building for an hour after school. My Mum wasn't having any of that! .. so she marched me out lol. I probably deserved most of the other detentions though.
I can't imagine why....

giphy-103.gif

That's a bit harsh, getting a detention for farting. It's not insolence unless you were standing on the teacher's desk with your bum in their face.

Here's a new Ch5 2-part documentary on a familiar but always-welcome theme:
The Great Stink of 1858

Part 1 - How in 1858 the Thames became a noxious cesspool of filth whose stench overwhelmed London.

Part 2 - Xand van Tulleken traces the story of the Great Stink as it enters its second month. Following efforts to neutralise the smell, engineer Joseph Bazalgette gets funding to build a huge sewer system for London.

Toilets, cess pits, contaminated pumps, Dr Snow, sewage, lost rivers, explicit descriptions of cholera and more: all the things I love to learn about. :cool:

One of the things I remember about London in the 60's was looking over
Westminster bridge and thinking I would need a stomach pump if I went in that,
and that was long after Mr Bazalgette.
:omr:

Toilets, cess pits, contaminated pumps, Dr Snow, sewage, lost rivers, explicit descriptions of cholera and more: all the things I love to learn about.

Is Dr Snow the one who identified the source of a cholera outbreak by mapping, and then took away the pump handle?

Not sure, someone did that to narrow down which were contaminated and
there was someone looking into why workers at the brewery's did not get it
that was due to the water being boiled but don't know if it was the same person.

One of the things I remember about London in the 60's was looking over
Westminster bridge and thinking I would need a stomach pump if I went in that,
and that was long after Mr Bazalgette.
:omr:
Pre-Bazalgette, if you fell in you couldn't even swim.
You'd just be going through the motions. :chuckle:

Oh, please yourselves. :rolleyes:

Not sure, someone did that to narrow down which were contaminated and
there was someone looking into why workers at the brewery's did not get it
that was due to the water being boiled but don't know if it was the same person.
The story went that the brewery workers drank beer instead of pump water or hot beverages at home.

Workers were often part-paid in goods so that may have come into it.

Also, people who drank beer weren't necessarily boozing all day. There were weak or 'small' beers available that had an acceptable taste with a low alcohol content.

Is Dr Snow the one who identified the source of a cholera outbreak by mapping, and then took away the pump handle?

Snow had the right idea, but the fabled pump handle removal wasn’t as important as the legend would have us believe:

“Deactivating the pump "hardly made a dent in the citywide cholera epidemic, which went on to claim nearly 3,000 lives".“

[Snow’s] facts about the patterns of illness and death among residents in Soho persuaded the St James parish authorities to disable the well pump by removing its handle.

Although this action has been popularly reported as ending the outbreak, the epidemic may have already been in rapid decline, as explained by Snow:

There is no doubt that the mortality was much diminished, as I said before, by the flight of the population, which commenced soon after the outbreak; but the attacks had so far diminished before the use of the water was stopped, that it is impossible to decide whether the well still contained the cholera poison in an active state, or whether, from some cause, the water had become free from it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak

maximus otter

A load of old crap.

2,200-Year-Old Flush Toilet Found in China Likely One of The Oldest Ever Discovered​

A photo of the ancient flushing toilet

Archeologists excavating the ruins of a palace in the city of Yueyang were surprised to find this flush toilet. (China.org.cn/Facebook)

Archeologists in China uncovered a flush toilet that is likely one of the oldest ever discovered, China's state news agency reported earlier this week. While excavating two large buildings in the ruins of the palace in the city of Yueyang, the researchers from the Institute of Archaeology at the China Academy of Social Sciences were surprised to make the discovery.

The toilet is estimated to be between 2,200 and 2,400 years old, from between the Warring States Period to the beginning of the Han Dynasty. The find is intriguing as the invention of the modern flush toilets is thought to be from Victorian England.

Fan Mingyang, a design expert in ancient tools, said the toilet is "deceptively advanced" because of the water drainage system that is used in the modern day, according to China's Global Times newspaper.

A toilet bowl, other broken parts, and a pipe that led to an outdoor pit were discovered last summer. The "luxury object" would likely have only been used by high-ranking members of the palace found in China's Shaanxi province, Liu Rui, a member of the excavation team, told China Daily.

He added it was that servants would have had to pour water into the toilet bowl every time it was used.

"It is the first and only flush toilet to be ever unearthed in China. Everybody at the site was surprised, and then we all burst into laughter," Liu told the paper. ...

https://www.sciencealert.com/2200-y...hina-likely-one-of-the-oldest-ever-discovered

A load of old crap.

2,200-Year-Old Flush Toilet Found in China Likely One of The Oldest Ever Discovered​

A photo of the ancient flushing toilet

Archeologists excavating the ruins of a palace in the city of Yueyang were surprised to find this flush toilet. (China.org.cn/Facebook)

Archeologists in China uncovered a flush toilet that is likely one of the oldest ever discovered, China's state news agency reported earlier this week. While excavating two large buildings in the ruins of the palace in the city of Yueyang, the researchers from the Institute of Archaeology at the China Academy of Social Sciences were surprised to make the discovery.

The toilet is estimated to be between 2,200 and 2,400 years old, from between the Warring States Period to the beginning of the Han Dynasty. The find is intriguing as the invention of the modern flush toilets is thought to be from Victorian England.

Fan Mingyang, a design expert in ancient tools, said the toilet is "deceptively advanced" because of the water drainage system that is used in the modern day, according to China's Global Times newspaper.

A toilet bowl, other broken parts, and a pipe that led to an outdoor pit were discovered last summer. The "luxury object" would likely have only been used by high-ranking members of the palace found in China's Shaanxi province, Liu Rui, a member of the excavation team, told China Daily.

He added it was that servants would have had to pour water into the toilet bowl every time it was used.

"It is the first and only flush toilet to be ever unearthed in China. Everybody at the site was surprised, and then we all burst into laughter," Liu told the paper. ...

https://www.sciencealert.com/2200-y...hina-likely-one-of-the-oldest-ever-discovered

Written on the door were the words, “I had the sprout and rock snail Foo Yung last night; l’d give it 2,200 years if l were you.

maximus otter

Back