• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

But it is in relation to where it is. We stay where we are so why shouldn’t these slips?
But that's the point. We don't stay where we are. I am still in my living room, yes, but I am already 100 km away from where I was when I started typing this sentence. The room and I have moved together. The cup of tea I had this morning in this same room was thousands of kilometres away from where I am now.

But that's the point. We don't stay where we are. I am still in my living room, yes, but I am already 100 km away from where I was when I started typing this sentence. The room and I have moved together. The cup of tea I had this morning in this same room was thousands of kilometres away from where I am now.
So who says time doesn’t move with you? Why do you think time doesn’t stay connected like your room does?

But it is in relation to where it is. We stay where we are so why shouldn’t these slips? Especially as we don’t know how they work or even how time works. There are theories that all time is happening all at once. So you just have slip a level.

I agree. If, indeed, these time-slips are genuine, repeatable phenomena, why shouldn't they be anchored to particular geographical locations on Earth?
If there is something in the very fabric of Versailles, Liverpool's Bold Street, Berry Pomeroy Castle, the Colosseum or wherever such things have been reported, they could conceivably only be triggered when a susceptible person enters that location, irrespective of wherever planet Earth is in its orbit around the Sun.

I can see both sides in this, if time slips are what they are, but to me they look more like a glimpse of another dimension who knows there could be countless dimensions around us and we are just in one dimension
I think this explanation makes most sense to me too. That we somehow 'see through' into another dimension which runs parallel to ours (although maybe not the same one each time). It's my theory of ghosts too, that we are seeing actual people, just not in our dimension, and sometimes they are further away (and therefore more shadowy) and sometimes closer to (and clearer).

I can see both sides in this, if time slips are what they are, but to me they look more like a glimpse of another dimension who knows there could be countless dimensions around us and we are just in one dimension
It's akin to the thousands of radio waves that surround our heads all the time. We can't see them and they can't see each other but we can 'tune' in to a particular frequency if we wish to.

Exactly. Your surroundings haven't altered. If I murdered someone on an aeroplane, when the plane landed and I was arrested I wouldn't be able to use the argument that the incident they are accusing me of happened in another place. The aeroplane is there on the tarmac.
I see your point but I think it's a faulty analogy.

If you are on a train and murder someone in the carriage, you, the carriage, and the victim all travel through space together. You can even go into a different carriage and return later

However, I think the train is leaving each moment of time in its past. So if you are on a train and murder someone by pushing them out of the carriage door, then an hour later, you, the carriage and the door have all moved together, but your victim is beside the track, an hour behind you.

The sound of their scream has dissipated in all directions at Mach 1 radiating from the time and place where they fell. The visual image (reflected light) of their fall has dissipated in all directions at 300,000 km a second, radiating from where they fell.

Similarly, if someone is beheaded in a castle in 1630, the castle, the Earth, and humanity generally continue their journey through space together. The event of their death is centred on the time and place where it happened, not the place on the Earth's surface where it happened, because the Earth is moving through space and each instant of time is left behind.

I suspect timeslips and ghosts are closely related phenomena.
Ghosts don't zoom around the planet due to the rotation of the Earth.
They appear to be bound to a specific location, be it a specific building, or land that used to be a Roman Road, battlefield, murder scene etc.
Why shouldn't timeslips behave similarly?

If you are on a train and murder someone in the carriage, you, the carriage, and the victim all travel through space together. You can even go into a different carriage and return later

However, I think the train is leaving each moment of time in its past. So if you are on a train and murder someone by pushing them out of the carriage door, then an hour later, you, the carriage and the door have all moved together, but your victim is beside the track, an hour behind you.

The sound of their scream has dissipated in all directions at Mach 1 radiating from the time and place where they fell. The visual image (reflected light) of their fall has dissipated in all directions at 300,000 km a second, radiating from where they fell.

Similarly, if someone is beheaded in a castle in 1630, the castle, the Earth, and humanity generally continue their journey through space together. The event of their death is centred on the time and place where it happened, not the place on the Earth's surface where it happened, because the Earth is moving through space and each instant of time is left behind.
But isn't this why we have reports of, say ,Roman soldiers marching through a field or cellar, but are only seen from their knees up- because they are in their time not ours? The soil and rocks underfoot are the same soil and rocks that are there today- the walls of the cellar are the same walls- no matter how far the earth has moved through space in the meantime.

Similarly, if someone is beheaded in a castle in 1630, the castle, the Earth, and humanity generally continue their journey through space together.

Can we understand this as the difference between Newtonian and relativistic frameworks? Newtonian physics believes in absolute frames of reference. In Newtonian terms, yes, a time slip should see us hanging in the void millions of miles from where we left, because the Earth will have moved in that time and that 'point in space' will no longer contain the planet.

The key to relativistic physics is that every event has to be understood in its own frame of reference, and you can have moving frames of reference. Time slips seem to be constrained to the FOR of the point from which you left. So if you go back to Versailles a couple of hundred years ago, Versailles remains your zero co-ordinate and you're still there.

And of course, you will still be the right way up! One point that occurs to me is that a twelve hour time slip might see you arrive upside down, because the Earth will have rotated 180 degrees in twelve hours. But nobody has ever described that happening.

Mulling over some things in the wee hours and I got to thinking about the Gary Numan case - as an example.

If Numan and his friend could see the man, could the man also see them?

What would have happened if someone had bumped into the man (easily done at a crowded train station) - would they have just passed through him?

If the man could only see what was going on around him in his time, eg the 1940s/50s then the people around him would have been in different positions to the people in the 'modern time' and he would surely have had to pass through them, otherwise he would have double the amount of people to avoid walking/bumping in to.

If the man could see the 'modern' surroundings, then how would he have found the corridor as it was in his time, ie with a door in it/not blocked up?

Mulling over some things in the wee hours and I got to thinking about the Gary Numan case - as an example.

If Numan and his friend could see the man, could the man also see them?

What would have happened if someone had bumped into the man (easily done at a crowded train station) - would they have just passed through him?

If the man could only see what was going on around him in his time, eg the 1940s/50s then the people around him would have been in different positions to the people in the 'modern time' and he would surely have had to pass through them, otherwise he would have double the amount of people to avoid walking/bumping in to.

If the man could see the 'modern' surroundings, then how would he have found the corridor as it was in his time, ie with a door in it/not blocked up?
The video states he dressed himself as a likeness of the time-slip man for this album cover:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_(Gary_Numan_album)

Perhaps this account served as an influence for the fictional time-traveller Gary Sparrow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Sweetheart_(TV_series)

...?

I also find it intriguing that if they hadn't followed the old-fashioned man they wouldn't have known he was a ghost, and so how many times do we pass through an environment such as a street or building alongside ghosts/time-slip people and never know...?

Concorde time-slip reported just yesterday on Mumsnet:

"I’m prepared to be told I’m mentally unwell and need to see a doctor (last resort) but I’m certain I just entered a time glitch.

I was driving into the countryside to collect my daughter from a sleepover and everything felt like it was really slow. I pulled over as I thought it was the car. I looked up and saw a Concorde flying above me. The type that were a common sight in the 90s and before. I’m 100% it was a Concorde and not a similar looking plane as I grew up near air fields and ports and watched them daily."

Read on...

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/_chat/4741809-what-just-happened-to-me

The comments are worth reading too and there are some time-slip experiences from other readers

Last edited:
Like the Boom Overture?
Yes :D
Well, I don’t know that I ever heard it break the sound barrier unless very early on when a lot of people reported ‘booms’ . It just didn’t sound like any other aircraft in the sky and was a lovely sight on a clear day. If I was out, people would always stop and look at it. Shouldn’t say it of course, because of the fuel it must have burned and the dreadful crash but I miss that big white bird.

I love timeslip stories too! They are my favourite paranormal 'happening'!
It is revealing that every media article/forum posting throws up at least one - and usually more - new accounts from readers/forum members.Even allowing for fantasists and other people hoaxing through a feeling of wanting to belong etc theat still leaves an awful lot of cases, many of which are straightforward, brief experiences without extra 'padding'. Do feel there are more time-slips out there than we appreciate

Perhaps it's because I am in the UK, but many of the reports seem to come from the UK, are there reports from other countries (I've read a few from the USA), what about Asia and South America ?

Perhaps it's because I am in the UK, but many of the reports seem to come from the UK, are there reports from other countries (I've read a few from the USA), what about Asia and South America ?
Are there any members here from those areas?

Wish he'd say where it was. The very haunted house I've mentioned here, where I grew up, was metres from the old Great North Rd, just South of York. There was a bikers' cafe in our village which was a 1950s' style milk bar right upto the 1990s or so, but it was a purpose built extension on a house, not a building that looked like an ex farm, and much larger than what he describes and also very well known to bikers. But it does sound like he's somewhere I'd know and the old A1 did have some old farms/mills etc converted to cafes. (In fact if it was a 1960s' cafe not far from my house, I'd possibly even know it or be able to recall it).

Brilliant story, well told.

ETA: Forgot to add but I used to know someone who, in the early 2000s, saw what he thought was a time slip - 1950s or 60s (I forget) car, racing through the village on the old Great North Rd. He happens to have a restored old car himself and is in a club for people who restore vintage cars, and he had some reason to believe it wasn't any of his mates, or even "there" at all. Haven't seen him for years or I'd ask him to tell me about it again. The place where he saw it would have been within sight of our badly haunted house... something about that road!

Are there any members here from those areas?
While I'm not from Latin America, I used to live there and regularly travel there, and like to read Spanish-language forteana (whether Latin American or peninsula Spanish) - I don't recall coming across timeslips - but I may have forgotten.

While I'm not from Latin America, I used to live there and regularly travel there, and like to read Spanish-language forteana (whether Latin American or peninsula Spanish) - I don't recall coming across timeslips - but I may have forgotten.
That's the one thing that concerns me they seem to be Anglo Centric, I know there have been reports from France but they happened to British people, it seems to me that the phenomena is confined to the English speaking world, which can't be right, if it is right than it does throw a huge spanner in the works, if it is a true phenomena there ought to be reports from Argentina to Zambia

I don't know whether this was a timeslip or not. It was when I went to Norfolk Island with a tour group.
Somehow I had become separated from the group maybe going to the toilet or something and when I came out couldn't find the group and saw a door leading to a below ground room.
I thought that it would lead through to a museum part where they probably were.
When I went it it seemed a bit dim and although there were display cabinets it wasn't the part I wanted and I was looking to see if there was a way through to the main area.
There was a woman at an old looking wooden inquiry desk and she called to me and asked what I was doing there. and said that I should not be there., so I just apologised and went out and could then see the rest of the group listening to a guide not far away.
She had rather sharp features with her hair pulled back, slightly darker skin and drab old fashioned clothes so I had thought she was dressed for the part.
I couldn't work out why I wasn't supposed to be there as after I rejoined the group and looked back there were people walking in that door all the time.
Later when we went to another museum part on the island there were panoramas of the history and there was a picture on the wall
which was identical. So it may have been a descendant but I didn't see her anywhere else while we were there.

Back