• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My first thought is railway lines, since electric trains can cause impressive sparking, especially in icy weather - but that seems unlikely in Caernarfon. Are there any electric rail lines on Anglesey that could have been responsible?
Nope, this is Wales. There are no railway tracks near Caernarfon and the nearest ones are not electric.

Nope, this is Wales. There are no railway tracks near Caernarfon and the nearest ones are not electric.
Makes me wonder if it could have been down to some sort of electric pylon overhead power cable shorting out in a diffused way in the wet icy/windy stuff, shorting out into/and through the very moist/wet atmosphere surrounding it?

Nothing nearer than Chester, maybe 40 miles away?

Where I am is seriously rural. If anyone wants to abandon the world and live off their own home grown vegetables and barter please make me an offer! Water is free. And plentiful. You'll still end up paying bloody Council Tax though.
Are you in

Nothing nearer than Chester, maybe 40 miles away?

Where I am is seriously rural. If anyone wants to abandon the world and live off their own home grown vegetables and barter please make me an offer! Water is free. And plentiful. You'll still end up paying bloody Council Tax though.
Are you in slab city? I just watched a prog about the place.

A bit of minor wtf last night. Stayed at a Premier Inn and got there at 5pm. It was soon apparent that the occupier of the room above had a very heavy footfall. Ok you can live with the odd footstep occasionally, but the guy (I presume) was walking across the floor up and down continually, without a break for 4 hours. Now I have the patience of a very impatient thing and had had enough. Ms P had no luck with the staff - they couldn't hear anything apparently and could do nothing. Except of course when I got involved and very politely told them to change our room which they did immediately. Anyway my point is that I could not imagine a scenario where someone could walk the length of the room and back solidly for 4 hours (presumably he continued after we left as well). Perhaps wanting to maintain their daily strides? Anyone got a better suggestion other than that he was a loony?

A bit of minor wtf last night. Stayed at a Premier Inn and got there at 5pm. It was soon apparent that the occupier of the room above had a very heavy footfall. Ok you can live with the odd footstep occasionally, but the guy (I presume) was walking across the floor up and down continually, without a break for 4 hours. Now I have the patience of a very impatient thing and had had enough. Ms P had no luck with the staff - they couldn't hear anything apparently and could do nothing. Except of course when I got involved and very politely told them to change our room which they did immediately. Anyway my point is that I could not imagine a scenario where someone could walk the length of the room and back solidly for 4 hours (presumably he continued after we left as well). Perhaps wanting to maintain their daily strides? Anyone got a better suggestion other than that he was a loony?
I've had this Pete (although 'twas in a Travelodge).
Maybe he was on the phone? People sometimes do that. Four hours does seem excessively long though, I agree.

We have the same thing here every night - we live on the second floor of a 2 family house, there is a woman living on the first floor who does not sleep, only an hour or two a night.
The rest of the night she marches back and forth for hours, the house shakes, we wake up constantly thinking an earthquake is happening.
Sounds like she has her combat boots on as well, and maybe she's doing the polka down there!
But how she can carry on for hours is beyond me - personally I believe she has some type of nervous problem or affliction, her family put her here. And she's in her 60s!
We have spoken to the landlord many times, he claims she says she's sleeping all night, and he refuses to do anything.
To add to the problem, she is a heavy drinker, she tosses empty Vodka bottles into the recycling almost every day.
Out of aggravation the other night we had our stereo on after 10:00 pm, not loud, but she called the landlord about us and he ordered us to turn it off. LOL

Maybe he was chanting? Buddhist mantra or similar. Some people walk up and down a room whilst doing that or similar meditations.

We have the same thing here every night - we live on the second floor of a 2 family house, there is a woman living on the first floor who does not sleep, only an hour or two a night.
The rest of the night she marches back and forth for hours, the house shakes, we wake up constantly thinking an earthquake is happening.
Sounds like she has her combat boots on as well, and maybe she's doing the polka down there!
But how she can carry on for hours is beyond me - personally I believe she has some type of nervous problem or affliction, her family put her here. And she's in her 60s!
We have spoken to the landlord many times, he claims she says she's sleeping all night, and he refuses to do anything.
To add to the problem, she is a heavy drinker, she tosses empty Vodka bottles into the recycling almost every day.
Out of aggravation the other night we had our stereo on after 10:00 pm, not loud, but she called the landlord about us and he ordered us to turn it off. LOL
Sorry but I would have moved by now. Can't you set one of your ghost friends onto her so she'll move out though?

Sorry but I would have moved by now. Can't you set one of your ghost friends onto her so she'll move out though?
We were promised a small house in the area and waited for quite some time for the tenants to move, it was then given to someone else, I was heartbroken.
And now the economy has tanked and rents are $2,500 - $3,000 and even more.
With my husband's medical problems for the last 2 years finally coming to an end, I search diligently every day for something affordable.
Our day will come! :)
And as for her, her own family doesn't want her, where's she going to go? Annoying that her family parked her here for others to put up with though.

Nikola Tesla lived in a hotel room by choice for many years before he died.
I guess there are advantages to doing that, but I can't imagine doing it myself.
Ah, but he was at the fabulous New Yorker Hotel:

1678474097014.png

Nikola Tesla lived in a hotel room by choice for many years before he died.
I guess there are advantages to doing that, but I can't imagine doing it myself.
At one time people without their own property to live in would retire to hotels, or boarding houses if they were poorer or needed more support because of old age or disability.
No doubt most were respectable, but there were scandals over mistreatment or theft, and some proprietors even murdered guests.

After blowing his fortune on high living, Aleister Crowle spent his last years in what he probably hoped was genteel poverty in a Hastings boarding house called Netherwood.

I'd've visited him. :)

Ages ago my friend gave me a plastic cylinder with various sized crochet hooks as I sometimes do different crafts.
Anyway as I was dozing off last night I saw this cylinder and a voice said "That is meant for Catelyn."
This girl is my friend's granddaughter who is busy at the moment crocheting things to sell on a stall on and online while she goes to uni.
When my friend rang I asked where she had got it from and she said it had belonged to her aunt. I told her I would see if I could find it and send it down so she could give it to her granddaughter.

Re: Appearing key;
Any news?
That's a damn good point- no and no is my answer.

No, in that the stowaway key is still unidentified (but under close observation).

And an additional 'no', because I've just received (yesterday) delivery of a set of keys I'd experimentally-ordered from Amazon. This was as a result of me doing a Google Images search at pictures of keys.

[By way of a quick informative aside: my dear old Dad was an extremely-talented carpenter & joiner. Something I always did with him (from a crawling and not-yet-talking age) is searching for specific screws/nails/half-hinges/keys/escutcheons out of vast repurposed biscuit tins and adopted jars, either in-situ, or spread across huge broadsheet newspapers upon the floor. I've absolutely no doubt this has helped me effectively recognise patterns, hazards and links of every sort throughout my whole life, and perhaps also created a stoic stamina within me].

Anyway, I saw these comparator keys....hands-up who recognises them?
Screenshot_20230311_105524_Chrome.jpg

My recognition 'click' was made visually with the three small padlock keys in the middle, especially with the awkwardly-angled one.

They are Fire Brigade Master Keys and are apparently part of the standard pocket repertoire of facilities management or janitorial staff (and also....presumably, firefighters) to gain access to locked premises.

I had a quick bemused read of references to London Fire Brigade-approved padlocks, and the fact that these Master Keys have some quasi-universal number series (eg 'FB11') stamped on them.

I don't think I'm the last person in the world to find-out there's such a crazy thing in the world as a set of universal (well, Britain & Ireland?) old-school passkeys possessed by firefighters and professional criminals with Amazon Prime accounts: did YOU know about this weirdness??

TLDR: my mystery key looks very (very) like an 'FB padlock passkey'. And it's the same style/profile as one of the ones depicted above. But it's not precisely identical, nor does it have an FB number stamped on it. So rather than being further forward, maybe I'm slightly further away from a solution.

ps I am of course now faced with a minor moral quandary- do I now do the decent thing with the cheap FB passkeys I bought (ie drop them down the nearest storm-drain) or keep them in the back of one of the many many drawers-full of potentially-useful things I possess? Decisions, decisions....

ps I am of course now faced with a minor moral quandary- do I now do the decent thing with the cheap FB passkeys I bought (ie drop them down the nearest storm-drain) or keep them in the back of one of the many many drawers-full of potentially-useful things I possess? Decisions, decisions....
Keep them - you never know when you'll actually need them.

That's a damn good point- no and no is my answer.

No, in that the stowaway key is still unidentified (but under close observation).

And an additional 'no', because I've just received (yesterday) delivery of a set of keys I'd experimentally-ordered from Amazon. This was as a result of me doing a Google Images search at pictures of keys.

[By way of a quick informative aside: my dear old Dad was an extremely-talented carpenter & joiner. Something I always did with him (from a crawling and not-yet-talking age) is searching for specific screws/nails/half-hinges/keys/escutcheons out of vast repurposed biscuit tins and adopted jars, either in-situ, or spread across huge broadsheet newspapers upon the floor. I've absolutely no doubt this has helped me effectively recognise patterns, hazards and links of every sort throughout my whole life, and perhaps also created a stoic stamina within me].

Anyway, I saw these comparator keys....hands-up who recognises them?
View attachment 64188
My recognition 'click' was made visually with the three small padlock keys in the middle, especially with the awkwardly-angled one.

They are Fire Brigade Master Keys and are apparently part of the standard pocket repertoire of facilities management or janitorial staff (and also....presumably, firefighters) to gain access to locked premises.

I had a quick bemused read of references to London Fire Brigade-approved padlocks, and the fact that these Master Keys have some quasi-universal number series (eg 'FB11') stamped on them.

I don't think I'm the last person in the world to find-out there's such a crazy thing in the world as a set of universal (well, Britain & Ireland?) old-school passkeys possessed by firefighters and professional criminals with Amazon Prime accounts: did YOU know about this weirdness??

TLDR: my mystery key looks very (very) like an 'FB padlock passkey'. And it's the same style/profile as one of the ones depicted above. But it's not precisely identical, nor does it have an FB number stamped on it. So rather than being further forward, maybe I'm slightly further away from a solution.

No, I'd not heard of these keys. A 'skeleton' key perhaps, but I think that was only in Enid Blyton stories.

Back