• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Has anyone ever tasted something in a dream as a while ago I was drinking a lovely quaffable Real Ale from a mug and it tasted creamy, toffeish and a bit fruity and I woke up thinking what a lovely beer that was.
I used to drink Samuel Smiths Wooden Cask Old Brewary Bitter but which was simlar to what I was drinking in the dream OBB didn't have that fruity taste but a few weeks ahao I found a real ale in Weatherspoons just like the beer in the dream and it's called Gravitas by the Vale Brewary Co in Brill, Buckinghamshire....YUM
Yes, but like @brownmane almost everything I taste or smell in dreams is unpleasant.

Aha! Suddenly your usename makes a lot more sense (actually I already suspected). Red Moon forever Orlanthi $<@₩!
Heh. Not on thread or owt ... but when my character made khan (runelord) of Stormbull, I had [mastery]+[storm]+[death]+[beast] runes tattooed on my forarm.
Still, on the other forarm I've Lovecraftian 'Elder Signs' inked.

According to Google, dreams are similar world wide, but the top number one dream varies.

In the U.S. the top dream is falling.

In Canada the top dream is your teeth falling out.

In Japan is passing school.

In China is dead people alive in dreams.

In Russia is all about clothes to wear.

In UK is teeth falling out.

My dog died just before new year. We stayed at my boyfriends quite a lot and thats were we where at the end. We went back to mine the following week and i dreamt the dog toddled from the dining room into the living room and was in the doorway. The dining room and doorway were in darkness. Unusual as i always leave the light on. I was so pleased to see him and lay on the floor to give him a love. But the floor was really hard and hurting my hip. I said "you could have picked a more comfortable spot for me dog, " i felt myself sinking, then woke up.

Interesting coincidence, this dog and the previous dog were both rescues, probably 5/6 years old when i got them. I had them both for 8 years, both passed on the 30th of the month.

Yesterday evening I went over to a neighbour's for a curry (this is relevant, honestly). I've been in their house before but never further than the kitchen, so last night I got a tour. It's a 400+ year old house, so like a warren of rooms and doors and entry ways all dotted over the place, and I couldn't remember how to get out once I got in.

Which is probably why I dreamed what I dreamed. I dreamed I was out for a run, and I had run through the house of another neighbour, trying not to get caught (why, I have no idea, maybe it was a short cut). I got out of the house and into the garden, where I found myself trying to get out of a huge pit. I remembered (in the dream) that they were building a swimming pool and this must be it, and somehow I'd got into it. It had huge, banked-up earth sides and running through the pit part felt as though I was running through water, a lot of resistance. Finally I got out and found I was at the top of a very steep hill curving downwards along a road with a wood going up at one side, and I knew I was going to have to run down and then run back up again.

My dreams seem to have become very literal all of a sudden, as though real life situations are just coming through almost unchanged. I DO have to run up and down a steep hill when I run (because I live on the top and it's downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back), the neighbour whose 'swimming pool' I was in popped over whilst I was at curry-neighbour's house, and the 'getting lost' had just happened in that house. Where are my dreams about weird flying elephants or mysterious doors or something? I want those back!

they were building a swimming pool and this must be it, and somehow I'd got into it. It had huge, banked-up earth sides
On holiday last year I was shown the site of a leisure centre that had been abandoned in the early stages of construction.
The swimming pool was exactly as you describe: a deep, steep-sided pit. :)

I didn't even think there could be a 'chart' for such a thing!
I'm thinking of Renton's dream in Trainspotting, where he is grilled in a hallucinatory gameshow by Dale Winton. :omg:
Not an exact match, I know, but it sprang to mind.

Casting Winton there was pure genius. :cool:

This was puzzling (I'm beginning to remember my dreams so frequently I think I should start keeping a dream diary again!).

More like a fragment of dream. I was at a friend's house, and the Queen had been there and died. When I went round, the coffin was behind the sofa. I went to pull it out and noticed that my friend had, very respectfully, covered the body with a cagoule. I remarked on how sensible it was to cover the body. We were going to get the coffin out and hand it to the relevant authorities, but, when I started pulling I noticed a trail of liquid coming from the coffin and leaving a wet mark on the floor, so I just pushed the coffin back, looked at my friend and said 'they'll have to come and collect her.'

That's the last time I eat a rather dodge steak and kidney pie before bed!

An utterly weird one with a lot of consistency: dreamt Herself and I were in New York and were being shown lots of generous hospitality by a locally based woman, who came over as being intellectually inclined, gracious, friendly and wholly accepting of us. New York, by the way, is somewhere I've never been to. The location appeared to be one of the older, possibly downtown, suburbs, without too much gloss or glitz or skyscrapers; a sort of late 1800s/early 1900s area with buildings to match that felt spacious, genteel, somewhat timeless, and quite a nice place to be; definitively part of the USA but which might not have been out of place too much in a British town. Familiar and just foreign enough at the same time. I remember having to excuse myself on some sort of errand and had to backtrack our route in via local public transport (does the USA have public buses?) and noted the strangeness of vehicles travelling on the right side of the road. A long prosperous looking shopping street, shops built into the street level of buildings at least a century old, with advertising hoardings marked in dollars. Trying to remember the route so as to return to our hostess and a street name, or names, all beginning with "H" - Hardingham Street and Huntingdon Avenue persisted after the dream.

I did what I had to do with an American shop assistant who was pleasantly interested to be speaking to a British person, and paid for something in dollars - can't remember what - then to my surprise was back in our American hostess's very well kept home. Even then I recalled this is not usual in dreams, where if you want to get back to a location, you usually can't find it and end up somewhere else - so a sort of unfollowed-up realisation, in dream, that I was dreaming. Although she remained absolutely accepting and welcoming of us, a little panic and anxiety set in here about our not quite fitting in, as if we were too downmarket, or scruffy, or gauche, to be fit company for her for very long. I remember eating and drinking something awkwardly and feeling slightly ashamed it had spilt down my front, among all those socially poised people - feeling scared I'd shown myself up as a slob with no table manners - , but I remember participating in a discussion - can't recall the topics, it was something academic and intellectual - where my input was treated with respect and appreciated.

I then remember being in a room with a few people and being involved in a conversation with them; walked off, opened a door, and saw our hostess sitting at table with a dozen others, as if some sort of conference was going on. She frowned slightly at my walking in and I thought - "Ah. It's all sorted out now. These are the A-list guests and I'm on the B-list. Why did I not see this before?" Felt a bit piqued that I wasn't good enough to be on the A-list, but accepted this with resignation, and the dream ended.

As I say - weird.

Trying to pin things down. "Hardingham" is easily enough explained - I lived in Norfolk for ten years and that's a place, but in Britain. But exporting it to the USA? EDIT - Quite a few places upstate in New York, as opposed to being in NYC, with similar-sounding names - Hagerman, for instance - and a place in Queens, outside the city centre, is called Haberman. Wondering if this was a cloth-eared fuzzy hearing in a dream, or a memory that didn't cross right to waking...

Last edited:
Trying to pin things down. "Hardingham" is easily enough explained - I lived in Norfolk for ten years and that's a place, but in Britain. But exporting it to the USA? EDIT - Quite a few places upstate in New York, as opposed to being in NYC, with similar-sounding names - Hagerman, for instance - and a place in Queens, outside the city centre, is called Haberman. Wondering if this was a cloth-eared fuzzy hearing in a dream, or a memory that didn't cross right to waking...
I am kind of looking at your dream with a UK slant, that is with view to status (in Canada, we don't tend to view social status to be determined by occupations, if that makes any sense). It sounds like you felt that you were a pretender in your dream. It is interesting that you felt you belonged until you "stepped down" via public transit to speak to a shop assistant. Then when you returned, you did not feel on par with your hostess's status.

Have you started something in which you are doubting your proficiency? Of course I don't expect you to answer, but for your consideration.

In amongst several odd dreams I had last which I can only remember fragments of, there was one dream in which I was trying to find a pair of socks.
In my waking life my socks are all together in pairs in my sock draw, much like (I expect) everyone does. And I deliberately buy plain, dark coloured, thick socks.
However, in this dream, all my socks had already been 'paired' but each pair that I got out of the draw was in fact 2 very similar socks, but not an actual pair, so maybe both a dark grey but one having a panel across the toes which had little black squiggles on it, but the other had a panel across the toes which had little black zig-zags on.
And then the next pair I got out was the same, but the odd ones didn't match with the odd ones from the other 'pair'.
It was all very silly.

In amongst several odd dreams I had last which I can only remember fragments of, there was one dream in which I was trying to find a pair of socks.
In my waking life my socks are all together in pairs in my sock draw, much like (I expect) everyone does. And I deliberately buy plain, dark coloured, thick socks.
However, in this dream, all my socks had already been 'paired' but each pair that I got out of the draw was in fact 2 very similar socks, but not an actual pair, so maybe both a dark grey but one having a panel across the toes which had little black squiggles on it, but the other had a panel across the toes which had little black zig-zags on.
And then the next pair I got out was the same, but the odd ones didn't match with the odd ones from the other 'pair'.
It was all very silly.
Priest's socks?

I am kind of looking at your dream with a UK slant, that is with view to status (in Canada, we don't tend to view social status to be determined by occupations, if that makes any sense). It sounds like you felt that you were a pretender in your dream. It is interesting that you felt you belonged until you "stepped down" via public transit to speak to a shop assistant. Then when you returned, you did not feel on par with your hostess's status.

Have you started something in which you are doubting your proficiency? Of course I don't expect you to answer, but for your consideration.
This is interesting. Elsewhere on this forum I've opened out about the mixed experience I had at university where I had a constant feeling of not quite fitting in, imposter syndrome, a sensation (that eventually overwhelmed me) of not being quite good enough. It took a while to recover from that. And association of ideas is happening: a placename in Norfolk becomes a street in the USA. I was at UEA Norwich, a place with strong links with the USA that always has a large clutch of exchange students and teaching faculty from North America. The theme of this dream was a sort of academic/intellectual aura and the central woman in the dream did have an academic aura about her. And the point about retiring from the scene and being able to have a natural, unforced, easy conversation with a shop assistant and then returning to the original scenario only to feel more and more out of place... that's brings to mind the feelings of not fitting in, in a place where the majority around me were from more favoured social classes (the statistic is that at the time, up to 50% of UEA students had been privately educated and saw uni as an extension of their schools). Got it now - I might have been, in a gentle sort of way, psycho-dramatizing my university experience. Thank you for the insight!

Anyway: I seem to be going through one of my dream-remembering phases just now. From the last two nights:

I was on a train with cast members of The Big Bang Theory, who were wholly in character. Now I love that show: I was also at a university for long enough to observe how the rarified upper slopes of academia seem to select for people who could kindly be described as "a bit odd". Sheldon Cooper, for instance. His UEA archetype was a guy doing post-doctoral studies in applied mathematics and physics and had eccentricities to match. (OCD combined with a compulsion that he could prove the existence of God mathematically). TBBT, after a while, stops being a straight comedy and has overtones of documentary. Loved it.
Anyway. I interacted with Amy Farrah-Fowler and Howard Wolowitz aboard the train. And then this weird device, like a single tall thin wheel about a foot tall, with some sort of control box attached, rolled down the aisle of the train and disappeared through the door at the end, through a sort of vertical hatch that seemed designed to fit its slightly off-centred shape. Amy turned round to Howard and asked if he intended to follow it to see where it went and what it was actually for. Howard made a disinterested "meh" noise and went back to his laptop. Amy then lost it and angrily demanded to know if anybody on this train has got any sort of intellectual curiosity at all, are are you more interested in your computers and can't be bothered to investigate when something genuinely odd happens here, right in front of us, in real life? She was quite annoyed, in fact.

And last night I was in some sort of upmarket hotel. Technically I was in the next room, but some sort of partition or screen had lowered and while we still in separate rooms, a woman I used to know was sitting on her side of the partition, about four feet away, fixated on the TV screen in front of her, looking at something with complete rapt attention with her face only about a foot from the screen. She was close enough to reach out and touch, and recognising her and knowing we'd thought pretty well of each other in real life, I reached through and stroked her neck. She didn't react and remained fixated on the screen. And it was a real female neck I was stroking, from the nape down to the top of the back.

Some explanation: the lady, who I shall call Anne, is somebody I knew round about the turn of the millenia. I'd been with her sister for a while, but we'd separated. At the time we were both with other people, but it was one of those situations where we both knew we found each other attractive. You know that when it happens. Unmistakable and good for the ego, I hope in both directions. But at the same time you know acting on it would have caused a lot of dung to cascade from a great height - we were both with other people - so you accept it's there, do nothing about it, flirt a little and just appreciate each other and move on. You just leave the other stuff alone. (Boring, but I think they call it "maturity").

I was never in love with her, just found her pleasant and sympathetic and very attractive.

Anyway, I wondered why she simply hadn't registered me being there. Perplexing. Somebody touching your neck usually gets a reaction. I saw she'd moved on from the TV and was now deeper in the room talking to another woman who I didn't recognise; I had the urge to go in there and explain to Anne, flat out, that I found her to be personally and sexually attractive, maybe put my arms around her waist and be a little more emphatic. Having decided to do this, I went in, aware that by even going in I'd intruded on her personal space.... and there was nobody there. Empty. Another perplexing dream!

Last edited:
A couple of nights ago I had a series of odd dreams.
A pair of meteorites streaking across the sky together, they were bright green, and then just at the point I expected them to dim and vanish, they instead flew around in a circle first and then disappeared.
My ex-wife appeared in this rented house I am living in now, but her red hair was instead a big ginger afro. She said her mum was going to cut it for her. The kitchen here was full of large, commercial baking equipment (for some reason).
I remarked to myself in my dream "This must be a dream - but what exactly is so strange here?"

It wasn't until I woke up and realised that that was indeed a dream that I wondered why I didn't confirm it to myself in my dream?

So, after you dreamed your dream, did it ever come true ?

I have never had a dream come true which is good because in some dreams I am naked.
Here's an old post of mine -

I dreamed about the country road I took every day where there is a humpback bridge and then a sharp bend concealing a low narrow railway bridge. I always took this stretch slowly but in the dream I was crawling along, barely moving at all. Nothing else happened in the dream.

I set out as usual that morning but with the dream still vivid in my mind I decided to slow to a crawl at the bridge. I edged over it and reached the corner to find a truck stuck under the bridge and a car crashed into the back of it, and another had hit that!
I had plenty of time to stop and turn around.

I don't think the dream saved my life but it saved me some injury and expense.

The dream most likely expressed my subconscious concern about how easily drivers could crash on that stretch of road if they rushed it. It came at the right time though.

I had a very discombobulated dream last night and now cannot remember it. I had difficulty even trying to understand it while dreaming.

Something about three or four well known female actors (one could have been Meryl Streep) with whom I was experiencing their story that they'd already made into a musical. Though I couldn't figure it out, I was thinking about similar movie musicals like Mama Mia.

I also dreamt that my mom was showing me how to care for a piglet - a cute little thing. It had water and mud holes and was rooting, eating and thoroughly enjoying itself.

This morphed into a guy who had the pig and was training it for something. He introduced the piglet to another guy (his brother?) who had numerous pigs. This brother brought one of his younger smaller pigs to socialize the piglet.

Then, really out there, this guy had enormous sows who were tattooed and he hung out with them, in mud holes, watching tv whatever. My dream self was recollecting that pigs are very intelligent and was surprised that this person lived fully with them.

This, in turn, turned into me watching this whole thing as a movie on DVD. I think that is probably the only way I could understand this happening, as a comedy.

Then I remembered that I had to return several DVDs to to library, but had no return date, so didn't know if I'd be charged a late fee.

I posted this just to use the word discombobulated:) but as I typed, I remembered more of my dreams.

I had another dream about socks that wouldn't make pairs last night.
There must be something in this but I can't find anything on 'Odd Socks' specifically.

Apparently;
Socks
To dream that you are wearing socks signifies warmth and comfort. Alternatively, to see socks in your dream indicate that you tend to yield to other's wishes. You are flexible and understanding in your thinking.
To see a single sock in your dream is a pun on hitting someone or being hit. Or perhaps the dream means that you have been hit with some surprising information or news.

And;
Odd Numbers
To see odd numbers in your dream indicates unresolved issues and aggressive behaviour in your life. You are feeling off balance.

And;
Pairs
To see a pair of something in your dream represents the need for balance in your life. The pair may be symbolic of your life partner or soul mate.

So I'm guessing these dreams are symbolic of my current situation with having moved into this rented house with my son, while still owning the old place, and going there regularly to do decorating etc, and everything being a bit 'up in the air' generally until that place gets sold eventually and I can settle here until my son and I find a place to buy.

Back