• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Batmans no bleedin good - he's a masked crime-fighter, not a data and software expert.

Got this popping up at the moment. Doesn’t last long.

E8CB14BF-0504-4F6D-BE00-FD8BC0AD022C.png

Are our post counts frozen now? Mine hasn't changed in a few days despite me posting my usual pointless bilge several times since then.
No they should be increasing. Post a reply to this and we'll see what happens. As I am writing you are on 1 199.

No they should be increasing. Post a reply to this and we'll see what happens. As I am writing you are on 1 199.
Aah, it's now showing me that figure too. No idea what happened there, maybe poltergeists are now able to influence software the way they used to throw plates around!

Thanks for your help and reply though Gordon! Much appreciated.

Anyone any idea why all the options are greyed out when I post? They are OK on our main PC but greyed out on the laptop. They didn't used to be; only in the last couple of weeks and I haven't knowingly changed any settings.

I'm using Firefox and Windows 10 (or possibly 11 as it demanded that I update last time or it wouldn't turn off!)

Anyone any idea why all the options are greyed out when I post? They are OK on our main PC but greyed out on the laptop. They didn't used to be; only in the last couple of weeks and I haven't knowingly changed any settings.

I'm using Firefox and Windows 10 (or possibly 11 as it demanded that I update last time or it wouldn't turn off!)
Yup! I had it happen after an update - but only briefly, then it came right.

Could you please post a screenshot of this?

My bet is you've somehow toggled the BB code setting - it looks like a pair of square brackets: [ ] It allows you to manually enter markup code in square brackets to achieve things like quotes or spoilers. I'm on my phone just now, so can't be sure what your options look like on a laptop, but I think you'll see the brackets at the top right in the options bar of the posting box. You may need to click the three dots to reveal extra options. When you find them, click them, and you should see the other options restored.

My bet is you've somehow toggled the BB code setting - it looks like a pair of square brackets: [ ] It allows you to manually enter markup code in square brackets to achieve things like quotes or spoilers. I'm on my phone just now, so can't be sure what your options look like on a laptop, but I think you'll see the brackets at the top right in the options bar of the posting box. You may need to click the three dots to reveal extra options. When you find them, click them, and you should see the other options restored.
Brilliant @Krepostnoi, that's it. When you click the BB code it also greys out the BB code square brackets although they toggle back on when you click them again so they look as if they are disabled like everything else.

Thanks also @Yithian - solved now.

I’m still getting sporadic notifications about watched threads. Sometimes it will tell me sometimes it won’t. It’ll usually tell me if I know about it and not if I don’t. I’d missed replies to my post in minor strangeness. A thread that regularly tries to hide from me and no turn up in searches.

I’m still getting sporadic notifications about watched threads. Sometimes it will tell me sometimes it won’t. It’ll usually tell me if I know about it and not if I don’t. I’d missed replies to my post in minor strangeness. A thread that regularly tries to hide from me and no turn up in searches.

I can see no apparent reason for this, but I will try to find out what's going on.

Formating options not working. Couldn't bold etc in post on Serial Killers Thread.

This formatting issue has happened to me repeatedly depending on which browser I'm using. Switch to a different one and formatting should appear as an option. This forum software can't keep up with browser updates, it seems.

This formatting issue has happened to me repeatedly depending on which browser I'm using. Switch to a different one and formatting should appear as an option. This forum software can't keep up with browser updates, it seems.

Thanks.

We have had one recent upgrade here, but as far as I know, it shouldn't have messed with any of this.

I will pass the issue to @rev_dino for consideration.

For the record, I've had no issues with up-to-date Chrome, Safari or my native Samsung mobile browser.

Currently, Chrome and Firefox are working for me. But Vivaldi, a Chrome-based browser, is greying out the formatting functions. When this happened in the past, it eventually resolved itself with updates but one person using the same Chrome browser was fine where mine was not. So, it wasn't so straight-forward to determine what was happening.

Formating options not working. Couldn't bold etc in post on Serial Killers Thread.

Have you tried clicking on the (probably greyed out but still operating) "Toggle BB code" icon as noted below?

Back