• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Possible, Trev.
I'd still say it's down to personal choice. I wore a mask only when it was mandated not because I thought it protected me but it reduced the risk of my being unknowingly infected and spreading it unwittingly.
The masking of yourself never protected you. It only protected others from you. And medical masks only protect others from droplet germs you may be spewing out:).

Unfortunately, the public health agencies were trying their best to prevent spread of a virus of which nothing was known. Then governments got involved to ensure a widespread movement and to back public health. This is where, imo, real education about what masking really does was lost. Government doesn't educate, it only enforces.

If masks were so effective then how comes so many people came down with covid?

Are you asking me? Because if you are, I've never said one or the other. I have commented on the types of masks and what they actually prevent. The cloth masks, scarves etc would only minimally prevent droplet transmission. Medical masks, droplet transmission. N95s are the only ones designed for minimizing viral transmission.

Physical distancing and good ventilation also contribute to dispersing airborne transmission as these help to dilute the virus particles in the air.

Covid-19 is a virus.

What is your definition of "so many"? I can say if masks were not effective, then how many more would have come down with covid?

I have had to mask (medical masks only are offered) 8 hours a day a work for 3 years, and it is likely going to be 4 years. No one I have worked with have passed anything onto anyone else in my specific home I work at.

There have been several of us who have had covid, but none of us caught it from coworkers. Our local public health is stringent on what is deemed an "outbreak". If they think that more than one of us has gotten sick from workplace transmission, the people I support would be quarantined in their rooms for ten (I think) days. If anyone else in that setting became infected, the quarantine would be extended. This has not happened. And obviously this is anecdotal only because of the very small sample of people.

In my agency, which has many group homes, employees have had to fight for N95s when one of the homes are declared in outbreak. Because the N95s protect the wearer from the virus. The medical ones only prevent us from spreading droplets.

They are the ones the provincial government have actually paid for to supply congregate care settings. Believe me, it wasn't until the government supplied any masks that we, as employees, were provided anything. And then it was mandated.

Are you asking me? Because if you are, I've never said one or the other. I have commented on the types of masks and what they actually prevent. The cloth masks, scarves etc would only minimally prevent droplet transmission. Medical masks, droplet transmission. N95s are the only ones designed for minimizing viral transmission.

Physical distancing and good ventilation also contribute to dispersing airborne transmission as these help to dilute the virus particles in the air.

Covid-19 is a virus.

What is your definition of "so many"? I can say if masks were not effective, then how many more would have come down with covid?

I have had to mask (medical masks only are offered) 8 hours a day a work for 3 years, and it is likely going to be 4 years. No one I have worked with have passed anything onto anyone else in my specific home I work at.

There have been several of us who have had covid, but none of us caught it from coworkers. Our local public health is stringent on what is deemed an "outbreak". If they think that more than one of us has gotten sick from workplace transmission, the people I support would be quarantined in their rooms for ten (I think) days. If anyone else in that setting became infected, the quarantine would be extended. This has not happened. And obviously this is anecdotal only because of the very small sample of people.

In my agency, which has many group homes, employees have had to fight for N95s when one of the homes are declared in outbreak. Because the N95s protect the wearer from the virus. The medical ones only prevent us from spreading droplets.

They are the ones the provincial government have actually paid for to supply congregate care settings. Believe me, it wasn't until the government supplied any masks that we, as employees, were provided anything. And then it was mandated.
Apologies if it seemed like that was aimed at you. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Just like the flu - so easy to pick up from door knobs, or entering / leaving a public place and pushing the door open with your hands, simply walking into a closed area where someone may have been coughing and you are unaware of it, using a public bathroom, etc., germs travel so easily. And some people get colds, flus and viruses much more easily than others. We've all had the flu or a virus and not realized where we picked it up.
I'm always amazed that Mr. R made it through working, taking 3 buses each way through dangerous and congested bus stations like Newark NJ where many homeless exist, and never even caught a common cold.

Actually transmission of a virus via a surface contamination (otherwise known as 'fomites') is extremely unlikely.
Especially with an airborne virus.
The clue is in the 'airborne' bit. You need to breathe it in.
However, surface transmission of bacteria is a different thing altogether - that's why you wash your hands when you've been to the can.

Actually transmission of a virus via a surface contamination (otherwise known as 'fomites') is extremely unlikely.
However, surface transmission of bacteria is a different thing altogether - that's why you wash your hands when you've been to the can.
And someone can sneeze or cough into their hands, then open a door -
A doctor once told me that the hepatitis virus can live for quite some time easily on a door knob, for instance.

Yes Hepatitis is usually transmitted via the fecal-oral route.
It can also be transmitted through an open wound.

But coughing or sneezing onto a door handle that someone else then touches isn't going to be a vector of transmission.

The masking of yourself never protected you. It only protected others from you. And medical masks only protect others from droplet germs you may be spewing out:).
That's precisely why I wore one. It was reducing the chance that I infected someone else.

As you point out masks do stop coughs and sneezes spreading infected moisture - but if there is a specific good thing to come out of all the Covid precautions it is surely an awareness that if you are coughing and sneezing you shouldn't be near other people unless unavoidable.

Universal masking never served a purpose - all the commonly available masks people were wearing couldn't stop the virus particles as they are much too small. Even the WHO said it was a political decision.
best is active charcoal filters. :p those work wonders. :D Oh, wait, no one smart exhales though an active charcoal filter. Kinda messes the filter up by having your breath get on the charcoal... and deteriorate it.
They measured that for Covid-19, the report I heard claimed Covid-19 can survive around 2 weeks on stuff like Amazon boxes and door knobs..

They measured that for Covid-19, the report I heard claimed Covid-19 can survive around 2 weeks on stuff like Amazon boxes and door knobs..
I tend not to breathe in 'amazon boxes and doorknobs'.
Covid-19 (I repeat) is an airborne virus - you could have a bucket of the stuff with doorknobs floating in it.....as long as you don't inhale an aerosol of the stuff you'll be uninfected.

Did Covid kill cop?

Radio host Chris Plante suggests that Brian Sicknick — the Capitol police officer who died the day after being attacked on Jan. 6 — may have actually time-traveled from the future back to that tragic day after having built up a history of Covid vaccinations.

"We might also look into the vaccination history just to name one other possibility," the former award-winning CNN-reporter turned Q-peddler said while speaking to Newsmax on "the truth about Brian Sicknick" and the cause of his death. (See video below, posted by Jason Campbell.)

The chance of Sicknick receiving the Covid shot before January 7th (the day he died) is miniscule. Not only had the vaccine just been released to the public a few weeks before — and was first offered to healthcare workers ...

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/13/c...-covid-vax-suggests-far-right-radio-host.html

Did Covid kill cop?

Radio host Chris Plante suggests that Brian Sicknick — the Capitol police officer who died the day after being attacked on Jan. 6 — may have actually time-traveled from the future back to that tragic day after having built up a history of Covid vaccinations.

"We might also look into the vaccination history just to name one other possibility," the former award-winning CNN-reporter turned Q-peddler said while speaking to Newsmax on "the truth about Brian Sicknick" and the cause of his death. (See video below, posted by Jason Campbell.)

The chance of Sicknick receiving the Covid shot before January 7th (the day he died) is miniscule. Not only had the vaccine just been released to the public a few weeks before — and was first offered to healthcare workers ...

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/13/c...-covid-vax-suggests-far-right-radio-host.html
:rofl:

I tend not to breathe in 'amazon boxes and doorknobs'.
Covid-19 (I repeat) is an airborne virus - you could have a bucket of the stuff with doorknobs floating in it.....as long as you don't inhale an aerosol of the stuff you'll be uninfected.
Look, I say this not as a guy who "read something on the internet". I say this as a guy who actually paid attention when spending multiple hours reading NBC and CBRN manuals during military training.

Airborne doesn't mean what you think it does. A lot of "airborne" hazards are not as light as air, and it's quite common for them to accumulate on surfaces. Your bucket example has a key flaw, a bucket of Covid-19 is such a fine power that it'd be impossible to turn a doorknob buried under the powder without causing a large amount to become airborne.

If you need help mentally visualizing it, this is what happens to Covid-19 that's accumulated on your hands when you move your hands:
R.gif

And this is what happens to material deposited on surfaces:
R1.gif

In neither case does it STAY on the surface. It's a fine powder, not PAINT. It reacts in pretty much the same way as dust, but has smaller particles than most dust. Particle size is important since it means the amount of force needed to disturb it is lower. Now I wish I could find a pic of someone walking across old dusty planks and having the dust on the floor scatter everywhere. The same thing happens with biohazards.

Look, I say this not as a guy who "read something on the internet". I say this as a guy who actually paid attention when spending multiple hours reading NBC and CBRN manuals during military training.

Airborne doesn't mean what you think it does. A lot of "airborne" hazards are not as light as air, and it's quite common for them to accumulate on surfaces. Your bucket example has a key flaw, a bucket of Covid-19 is such a fine power that it'd be impossible to turn a doorknob buried under the powder without causing a large amount to become airborne.

If you need help mentally visualizing it, this is what happens to Covid-19 that's accumulated on your hands when you move your hands:
View attachment 64332

And this is what happens to material deposited on surfaces:
View attachment 64331

In neither case does it STAY on the surface. It's a fine powder, not PAINT. It reacts in pretty much the same way as dust, but has smaller particles than most dust. Particle size is important since it means the amount of force needed to disturb it is lower. Now I wish I could find a pic of someone walking across old dusty planks and having the dust on the floor scatter everywhere. The same thing happens with biohazards.
I have to agree - years ago when I was bartending, hepatitis was cropping up in the area.
I had just moved temporarily to a small apartment which was above a doctor's office, where we shared a common entrance door. I didn't think much about it at the time.
A few months later I was very ill with hepatitis and my doctor wanted to know where I contracted it, I had no idea. But he was uncomfortable with the fact that I was sharing a doorway with a doctor, and suggested I move as soon as I recovered, which I did.
I can't prove that I picked anything up there, but I can't disprove it either.
And I'm well aware that hepatitis is often contracted sexually, or through body fluids, blood transfusions, etc.
I never did figure out the cause, but from those days forward I am scrupulous about washing my hands.

I have to agree - years ago when I was bartending, hepatitis was cropping up in the area.
I had just moved temporarily to a small apartment which was above a doctor's office, where we shared a common entrance door. I didn't think much about it at the time.
A few months later I was very ill with hepatitis and my doctor wanted to know where I contracted it, I had no idea. But he was uncomfortable with the fact that I was sharing a doorway with a doctor, and suggested I move as soon as I recovered, which I did.
I can't prove that I picked anything up there, but I can't disprove it either.
And I'm well aware that hepatitis is often contracted sexually, or through body fluids, blood transfusions, etc.
I never did figure out the cause, but from those days forward I am scrupulous about washing my hands.
The population that I work with tend to have more than average number of Hep B carriers (institutional living before 80's and sharing items such as toothbrushes was not uncommon for them).

Those of us who work with them and their housemates generally have been vaccinated.

I had spoken to a firefighter who'd told me that they clean the trucks always for communicable disease viruses and that Hep B lasts longer on surfaces than many other viruses and that it is more communicable than HIV.

Last edited:
The population that I work with tend to have more than average Hep B carriers (institutional living before 80's and sharing items such as toothbrushes was not uncommon for them).

Those of us who work with them and their housemates generally have been vaccinated.

I had spoken to a firefighter who'd told me that they clean the trucks always for communicable disease viruses and that Hep B lasts longer on surfaces than many other viruses and that it is more communicable than HIV.
That's exactly what my doctor told me, Hepatitis B can sit in a petri dish for one week and still be dangerous.
I could have contracted it while bartending somehow, who knows, I just never forgot that lesson.

I never heard of a Raccoon Dog but this was a big story on the evening TV news.

Is China making this up ?

Speaking of Chyyyna, the truth about Fauci is at last getting an airing, his involvement with the Wuhan bio lab and his changing story of the origins of covid.

2 videos each 7 minutes long.

I never heard of a Raccoon Dog but this was a big story on the evening TV news.

Is China making this up ?
raccoon dog is a kind of animal found in Asia. A Japanese raccoon dog is called a Tanuki. the "common" raccoon dog is called a Neoguri in Korea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyctereutes

And someone wrote it into the wikipedia page.... oh boy..... let's see, the wikipedia pages cites the NY Times as a source. But I can't seem to actually read it. I find myself wondering if anyone has identified a raccoon dog that was infected.... since the description I saw of their reason for this connection... is worded in a way that sounds like no living animals were tested.

raccoon dog is a kind of animal found in Asia. A Japanese raccoon dog is called a Tanuki. the "common" raccoon dog is called a Neoguri in Korea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyctereutes

And someone wrote it into the wikipedia page.... oh boy..... let's see, the wikipedia pages cites the NY Times as a source. But I can't seem to actually read it. I find myself wondering if anyone has identified a raccoon dog that was infected.... since the description I saw of their reason for this connection... is worded in a way that sounds like no living animals were tested.
Here is a link to an article in The Guardian on the subject. It isn't behind a paywall.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/17/covid-19-origins-raccoon-dogs-wuhan-market-data

Here is a link to an article in The Guardian on the subject. It isn't behind a paywall.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/17/covid-19-origins-raccoon-dogs-wuhan-market-data
Ah, yes, TY.

found the important part:
The latest genetic data does not prove raccoon dogs or other mammals were infected with Covid and spread it at the market. If the animals were infected, they may have contracted the virus from infected humans. But the findings do point to the possibility that the cause was an infected animal and, ultimately, the illegal wildlife trade.

Back